++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 24, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #20,551 of 29,490
Quote:
I had someone suggest AKG.  I took a look and pulled out the K 172 HD and K 142 HD.  Any thoughts on them vs the 25-1 II?

First of all--both of those are full over ear headphones and the 142 is semi-open.  Neither of these is good for portable use.  If you want an under $100 over ear semi-open AKG, get the K 240 Studio (currently about $75 at Amazon). 

But be aware that you are now talking about an entirely different sub-set of headphones than the one you first said you were after.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #20,554 of 29,490
Quote:
I plan to go test drive the HD 25-1 II at Best Buy.  Thanks again for your patience and help!

What do you mean by "good for portable use"?

It means use away from home, including easy transport from place to place.

GL!  I think you'll enjoy your new cans.  They are one of my favorites for unamped portable use.

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #20,555 of 29,490
Hello guys, any recommendation for a pair of headphones at a budget of max 140 dollars (i wouldn't say more because of shipping fees)? 
I would mainly use them for movies and games and as such i need them to have good bass and to be closed-back.
I already have a pair of Senn HD 380 Pro which i use for music, but they don't really have the bass for immersion. Should i just buy an amp for them (like the Fiio) with bass boost instead?

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #20,556 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello guys, any recommendation for a pair of headphones at a budget of max 140 dollars (i wouldn't say more because of shipping fees)? 
I would mainly use them for movies and games and as such i need them to have good bass and to be closed-back.
I already have a pair of Senn HD 380 Pro which i use for music, but they don't really have the bass for immersion. Should i just buy an amp for them (like the Fiio) with bass boost instead?

I'd look into the Creative Aurvana Live! and if you can find one within your price range, maybe the DT770 Pro 80

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #20,557 of 29,490
Hey there again guys. Sorry to interrupt the flow, but I have encountered a slight problem. I recently bought the Ultrasone hfi-780s, and they great! Except, they don't clamp my head very much, so the ear cup area where the sound comes from isn't close to my ears. This makes sound (like music from my iPhone 4S, more tinny rather than nice. Are there any other clampy over ear headphones with bass that really thumps, but good mids and whatnot? And that also sound good with movies and games? Thanks guys I really appreciate it

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #20,558 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey there again guys. Sorry to interrupt the flow, but I have encountered a slight problem. I recently bought the Ultrasone hfi-780s, and they great! Except, they don't clamp my head very much, so the ear cup area where the sound comes from isn't close to my ears. This makes sound (like music from my iPhone 4S, more tinny rather than nice. Are there any other clampy over ear headphones with bass that really thumps, but good mids and whatnot? And that also sound good with movies and games? Thanks guys I really appreciate it

Just bend the headband inwards. It has a metal strip inside that can be used for both stretching and compressing the headband, therefore allowing you to fix the lack of clamp.

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #20,559 of 29,490
Quote:
OK--what is your budget?  Do you already have a CD deck to meet your needs?  Either way you will need a receiver or desktop headphone amp and a new can.

Is it the Senn HD 25-1-II that you have?  If not which version?  If so, do you like its sound signature?  What are you looking for in the sound signature of your new can?

I've got the HD25-1 IIs. I like them as they have good punchy bass but with detail, the mids are neutral but sound good for most things.
However the soundstage is disappointing and the treble is harsh to my ears.

I'm getting a pair of dt990s, however if I'm going to get new home cans I'd like them to be detailed, good soundstage, and a bit fun sounding. Something that can handle most music and isn't fatiguing.

Any purchases will be after Christmas (cause that's when the second bit of my student loan comes through xD) and my non-headphone budget will be around £400-£500 and my headphone budget will be £200-£300.

I have absolutely nothing in the way of home equipment (bar a DAB radio), no CD deck, nothing so I'm after complete beginner home rig start-up advice.

Cheers in advance.

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #20,560 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
OK--what is your budget?  Do you already have a CD deck to meet your needs?  Either way you will need a receiver or desktop headphone amp and a new can.

Is it the Senn HD 25-1-II that you have?  If not which version?  If so, do you like its sound signature?  What are you looking for in the sound signature of your new can?

I've got the HD25-1 IIs. I like them as they have good punchy bass but with detail, the mids are neutral but sound good for most things.
However the soundstage is disappointing and the treble is harsh to my ears.

I'm getting a pair of dt990s, however if I'm going to get new home cans I'd like them to be detailed, good soundstage, and a bit fun sounding. Something that can handle most music and isn't fatiguing.

Any purchases will be after Christmas (cause that's when the second bit of my student loan comes through xD) and my non-headphone budget will be around £400-£500 and my headphone budget will be £200-£300.

I have absolutely nothing in the way of home equipment (bar a DAB radio), no CD deck, nothing so I'm after complete beginner home rig start-up advice.

Cheers in advance.

Ball parking based on US street prices: Onkyo C-7030 CD deck (about $175 to $200); HiFiMan EF2A amp [with dac] ($169)--which mean you would then have enough to get AKG Q701, Beyer DT 880 or Senn HD 600 or 650.

If you want to go with an A/V receiver the Yamaha Aventage series have a good headphone section.

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #20,561 of 29,490
Quote:
I'd look into the Creative Aurvana Live! and if you can find one within your price range, maybe the DT770 Pro 80

Thing is I can find the DT770 at 150 dollars, but from what i understood don't they need an amp? Can't really spend more than 150 and the shipping fees to my country are also pretty high.
Are the Creative Aurvana any good? i can find them for about 100 so i don't have any problem purchasing them.
Any other suggestions?

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #20,562 of 29,490
Quote:
Yours is an usual take.  Most find the mids of the 558 to be its strength and the bass to be wanting for hip hop and other bass heavy genres.  What equipment did you use to test them?

The 558 and 598 share the same drivers.  The 598 will improve your sound stage and mids, just a bit.  They are also a little more comfortable and much more colorful.

I listened to everything straight out of my phone.  (Moto Bionic)  Had I never listened to anything else, the 558s would have seemed perfect, in fact for the price they are one of my favorites.  The bass is perfect.  I prefer hip hop with lives instruments like The Roots, and for Rock... "Muse, Black Keys, Korn", the other large majority of my listening is female singers: Joss Stone, Norah Jones, Amy Winehouse.  Maybe, for 558, what I'm calling a lacking mid is the lack of soundstage.  Perhaps that is why the K550 and larger Audio Technica sound perfect minus the bass?  

I'm glad to hear they are more comfortable, I want something I can wear for a while.

I easily can detect and pick soundstage for floor standing speakers, but with headphones I haven't seemed to pick it up as well.  I'll go give another listen.
Any suggestions though?

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #20,563 of 29,490
Quote:
Any suggestions though?

I think Ultrasone HFI-2400 is an option to be considered. Same league than HD598 , more bass , good allrounder , warm and fun sound and more slam too. HD598 sound lighter/more airy and more balanced to my ears. Ultrasone's S-logic system gives a great feeling of soundstage.  Amy Winehouse and Norah Jones are in my favourites singers too with Cassandra Wilson for example. I have every time the "wow" effect when I listen to their voices through my HFI-2400 :wink: .

I listened long minutes HD598 and I like it enough to use them as a Xmas present but I prefer my Ultrasone.  HD598 is more comfy though HFI-2400 is IMO enough comfortable to keep it on head during hours. 

Hope this experience could help !

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #20,565 of 29,490
Hey guys I've been reading this forum for some months now but i mostly read the IEM sections and i'm thinking of buying an over ear/ on-ear headphones since i don't have one that i'm happy with yet. 
From what i've read the V-moda crossfade LP2 / M80, JVC s400 and Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro seems like my type of headphones. 
However, having never tried any of them, I don't know which one has the best SQ. Out of all of them, or any at a similar price range, what would you recommend ?

I like to hear bass that is nice and full but not too overwhelming that it leaks to the mids, having owned the AKG K450 i thought the bass wasn't very pleasant even though there were plenty.
I'm thinking of buying in the 80-200 price range  
I'm a bit iffy on buying an on-ear headphone though 'cause the k450 felt uncomfortable after a long period of time due to the pressure from the pads on my ears.
What do you think will best suit me? 
I'd like to thank in advance for any recommendations.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back