++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 23, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #20,536 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi. I am buying dt990 250ohm, and in max 6 months I will buy LCD-2 rev2 (or i might waight for the lcd closed cans, maymaybe).
So I need an amp and a dac. And I am thinking of buying the Grace M903.

I like bass, but i also love to hear all the instruments so i like soundstage too.
Should i perhaps get another amp and dac? And use more money one a amp and just get a cheap dac? But I really do not want to start upgrading and selling next year.
I am also thinking of buying myself floorstanding speakers soon. If i buy amp for the speakers could i use the M903 as a dac then? Or should I just buy a reciever now and listen throug that?

foobar, 320 and /or flac. To be honest I just want to know if there is a better option than the M903 :S

The M903 gets excellent reviews. And, according to the User's Guide, it has

UNBALANCED LINE OUTPUTS - A stereo pair of unbalanced line level outputs are provided via two RCA jacks. These outputs 
should be connected to powered speakers or power amplifiers using standard unbalanced RCA cables.

If it wasn't so far out of my price range, I'd buy one. Others that distinguish themselves?

1. ODAC+O2 combo (US$285)
  2. CEntrance DACMini CX (US$795)

Cheap DAC (but not the greatest amplifier)

1. Behringer UCA-222 (US$30)

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #20,537 of 29,490
Quote:

Cheap DAC (but not the greatest amplifier)

1. Behringer UCA-222 (US$30)

yes, the thing is i could use the behringer UCA-222 or HRT Music Streamer II + and maybe a Burson HA-160. and save money. But if I go on the interwebb the next day and regret it, then I might upgrade soon. and then i wont save money.

maan. i'll just buy it and shut the pluck up...

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #20,538 of 29,490
Hi I am looking for headphones.  I have looked around but I am not sure about which ones to get.  

Type Closed

Price $200 or lower

Sound - I already have the Beyerdynamic DT 880 so i would prefer something that sounds different.  I mostly listen to Rock and Electronic music, I also listen to some metal and classical.

Important

Comfort it is important to me because I have a large head and wear glasses.   
Sound Isolation I prefer passive.

Not Important

sound leakage
Portability I will be using these at home.

I have looked at these headphones

Ultrasone HFI - 580
AKG k271
Audio Technica ATH A700
Audio Technica ATH M50
V MODA crossfades M80 - i heard these were uncomfortable

if you have any other suggestions it would help.
Thanks!

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #20,539 of 29,490
GenericNameA, Ultrasone HFI-780 for both rock and EDM, HFI-580 leaning more towards EDM.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #20,541 of 29,490
Quote:

yes, the thing is i could use the behringer UCA-222 or HRT Music Streamer II + and maybe a Burson HA-160. and save money. But if I go on the interwebb the next day and regret it, then I might upgrade soon. and then i wont save money.

maan. i'll just buy it and shut the pluck up...

I have two UCA-222's and I like them (especially for the price.) I'm still trying to convince myself that the O2+ODAC will give me audibly better sound.

Good luck.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #20,542 of 29,490
Quote:
What exactly do you see as being included in this home rig?

Well I've got a portable rig. (HTC incredible S>FiiO E17>HD25IIs)
but i want a desktop rig and in all honesty I have no idea where to start so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

EDIT: I'm after something to play CDs. I have some vinyl as well (although thats an afterthought)

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #20,543 of 29,490
Thanks!  I am looking at the site right now.  What do you think of the HD 25-SP II?  It looks similar and comes with a 10' cable.  But I see some differences in frequency range and impedance.  If I am just using them for Netflix and a big of gaming on my laptop will these differences be important?

And don't kill me!  I am also looking at the HD 202 II.  I know it is low end but, for my purposes (watching TV shows on Netflix while doing dishes each night) they might be ok.  What do you think?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me with this!

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #20,544 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi I am looking for headphones.  I have looked around but I am not sure about which ones to get.  

Type Closed

Price $200 or lower

Sound - I already have the Beyerdynamic DT 880 so i would prefer something that sounds different.  I mostly listen to Rock and Electronic music, I also listen to some metal and classical.

Important

Comfort it is important to me because I have a large head and wear glasses.   
Sound Isolation I prefer passive.

Not Important

sound leakage
Portability I will be using these at home.

I have looked at these headphones

Ultrasone HFI - 580
AKG k271
Audio Technica ATH A700
Audio Technica ATH M50
V MODA crossfades M80 - i heard these were uncomfortable

if you have any other suggestions it would help.
Thanks!

With regard to sound, you say you want something different.  In what way?  The DT 880 is an outstanding near neutral audiophile can.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #20,545 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
What exactly do you see as being included in this home rig?

Well I've got a portable rig. (HTC incredible S>FiiO E17>HD25IIs)
but i want a desktop rig and in all honesty I have no idea where to start so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

EDIT: I'm after something to play CDs. I have some vinyl as well (although thats an afterthought)

OK--what is your budget?  Do you already have a CD deck to meet your needs?  Either way you will need a receiver or desktop headphone amp and a new can.

Is it the Senn HD 25-1-II that you have?  If not which version?  If so, do you like its sound signature?  What are you looking for in the sound signature of your new can?

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #20,546 of 29,490
Hello!

I've been lurking for a while looking for the right headphones.  I listen to a range of music, and the cans will be used for all around listening without an amp (at least at first).  I was leaning towards blindly ordering the Sennheiser hd 598 based off user reviews here.  I really enjoyed the sound of the 558, until I checked out a few other sets.  The audio technica ATH-ESW9A sound perfect to me but I want a full size headphone.  I tried the AKG K5550, AT ATH-A900X, and both are close but not enough bass.  I listen to mostly hip hop/rock and would like better bass.  Bass in the 558s was perfect, but the midrange was weak.

Headphones must be available at Best Buy.
Budget (realistic) $250, but will consider up to $500.
I'd rather have money to save to get an amp over anything, I will be listening at first without an amp.

I don't mind PMs if you have a lengthy suggestion or some headphones to suggest trying

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #20,548 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks!  I am looking at the site right now.  What do you think of the HD 25-SP II?  It looks similar and comes with a 10' cable.  But I see some differences in frequency range and impedance.  If I am just using them for Netflix and a big of gaming on my laptop will these differences be important?

And don't kill me!  I am also looking at the HD 202 II.  I know it is low end but, for my purposes (watching TV shows on Netflix while doing dishes each night) they might be ok.  What do you think?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me with this!

The SP version is inferior.  It has an inferior driver and less features.  The HD 25-1-II is the one you should get.  This is a bit dated, but gives you a good picture of the line:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-25-1-ii-and-adidas-original-hd-25

Don't waste your money on the 202.  It's entry level only.  Even the SP is much better.

Yes, your listed uses aren't as critical as some.   However, unless your into planned obsolescence, there is no since in going the cheap route, when for a little more you can have one of the best portable cans in its class.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #20,550 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello!

I've been lurking for a while looking for the right headphones.  I listen to a range of music, and the cans will be used for all around listening without an amp (at least at first).  I was leaning towards blindly ordering the Sennheiser hd 598 based off user reviews here.  I really enjoyed the sound of the 558, until I checked out a few other sets.  The audio technica ATH-ESW9A sound perfect to me but I want a full size headphone.  I tried the AKG K5550, AT ATH-A900X, and both are close but not enough bass.  I listen to mostly hip hop/rock and would like better bass.  Bass in the 558s was perfect, but the midrange was weak.

Headphones must be available at Best Buy.
Budget (realistic) $250, but will consider up to $500.
I'd rather have money to save to get an amp over anything, I will be listening at first without an amp.

I don't mind PMs if you have a lengthy suggestion or some headphones to suggest trying

Yours is an usual take.  Most find the mids of the 558 to be its strength and the bass to be wanting for hip hop and other bass heavy genres.  What equipment did you use to test them?

The 558 and 598 share the same drivers.  The 598 will improve your sound stage and mids, just a bit.  They are also a little more comfortable and much more colorful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back