++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #20,509 of 29,490
Ok, let me put this another way. I like electronic music, electric guitar, male and female vocals and also some classical music. I like piano music. I am considering Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 Ohm or HiFiMan HE-400, Any advice on which to choose would be welcome, with standard cables or re cabled.

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #20,510 of 29,490
Quote:
Maybe the Audio Technica ATHESW9A.  The M50 (+/- S) don't need an amp, but have a "V" shaped EQ with recessed mids.  I prefer the KRK and 840 over the M50.

Probably a your better route would be to add an amp and get the Shure SRH 940 or Ultrasone Pro 750.

I looked at a number of reviews both here and elsewhere and it seems that saving up for the SRH 940's might be a good option (even if that means putting off my purchases a little longer). I have a couple more questions:

1. I know this is not the amp section, but would the FiiO E11 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053KWDES) be an acceptable amp to drive any of the mentioned headphones?

2. A number of reviews I've seen for the SRH 940's (and other recommended headphones) seem to indicate that the bass (particularly mid-bass) isn't quite as strong as some of the other ranges. I don't think of myself as a basshead, but the bass range is important to me. Does this affect your recommendations?

3. Being new to head-fi, would I even notice the above issue or would it still sound better than what I was used to?

EDIT: In another venue, I've seen the AKG K550 recommended. How would those compare to the recommended headphones?

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #20,511 of 29,490
Hi All, especially Ultrasone gurus, :)

I've never had an Ultrasone but am very curious.

Please help!
Which one would be a good first Ultrasone from these?

- HFI-680 ........................... 158 EUR
- HFI-2400 ......................... 189 EUR
- Pro Anniversary ............... 139 EUR

I'd either use it as a tool (mixing, critical listening) in my home studio / or just for listening to music :)

Thank you!

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #20,512 of 29,490
I'm down to a few sets of headphones for my office:
Beyer DT-880
V-Moda M-100
Audio Technica ATH 900X
AKG K550

Budget is around $200, but will go higher if there's enough difference between $200 and the next tick up to make it worth the cash.  Will be used in a private office, so no need for closed vs. open.  Would prefer not have to use/buy an amp, at least in the short-term. 

Listening: mostly EBM, techno, ambient, ect. 

The DT-880 had been the top contender, but the M-100 seem to be more versatile.  Not sure how much of the praise being heaped on them, in terms of sound quality, is hype*, and I might want to wait until the dust settles and there are more head-to-head comps available.

*That's not to impugn the honesty of any reviewers, just that sometimes people can get really excited about new gear, and this is my last headphone purchase for a long time, so I want to make the right call.

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #20,513 of 29,490
Okay so I'm looking to purchase some over ear headphones. I've got a budget of 300$, and I listen mostly to electronic genres but I enjoy a little of everything. I'm looking for something balanced with a little bit of favor to the lows if anything. Open to any suggestions. ^^

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #20,515 of 29,490
just realised i wrote shure instead of sure.
Thats when you know you're an audiophile 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #20,516 of 29,490
Quote:
Sorry to repeat myself, but:

Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 ohm, re cabled with balanced cable vs Hifiman HE-400 with balanced cable. They would be terminated with a 4 pin XLR. Amping is not an issue since I have an amp that would work great for either one.

The least expensive option is the DT 880 without the aftermarket cable. Unless you operate in an environment filled with EMI, a balanced cable doesn't help a bit. That's what I'd do ... if I didn't have the DT 990.

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #20,517 of 29,490
We all know why I am replying to this thread!  :)

I am looking for supra-aural, closed, clean/natural headphones.  Sub $200 would be great.  10 foot cable (is that something that I can fix after buying if they are detachable?).

I have been using a Sony MDR-V100 for a long time.  I use them to mostly listen to movies so a natural sound is best.  I am not into a lot of bass.  I tried out a few and didn't like the shifts in sound.  Am I correct that the MDR-V100 is fairly neutral?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #20,518 of 29,490
Quote:

The least expensive option is the DT 880 without the aftermarket cable. Unless you operate in an environment filled with EMI, a balanced cable doesn't help a bit. That's what I'd do ... if I didn't have the DT 990.

So what you are saying is that the HE-400 is not worth $50 more than the DT 880 600 Ohm? Also that re cabling the cans and using a balanced amp is not going to make any difference to stock cable connected to single ended? Thank you.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #20,519 of 29,490
I've got an ipod 5gen classic 60gb with rockbox. I use it A LOT. There are a few thing I want to do to it, but I wanted to know what I should do first, how much it would cost me, and what your opinions were? My headphones are ATHm50 and Vsonic GR04 flagship. Next pair will be hifi grade. Oh yeah, BTW it's all flac.

1. iMod? Worth it or not? What benefits do I get?
2. I want an amp, but not something crazy expensive. I was thinking the Fiio e12 when it comes out. Any thoughts? 
3. Big one here, Cables. I've read some places that LOD means A LOT. Also read it doesn't mean much of anything? Which is it? Is the Fiio L9 good enough for do I need one of those fancy $200 ones? 
4. Should I be playing my music through my iPod's line out, if not, how should I be playing it? I would need an amp to play through line out?
5. Is the hard drive worth switching to SSD? I walk with it but not run. How much do these cost? 
6. Am I correct in thinking that DAC's do not work with the older iPods? 
7. I plan on also using this as a source in my car and for my home speakers. In both cases, it is a 3.5 mm jack. I noticed that with the line out, when compared to my nano's line out, sounds like garbo on my $1000 car system. Would a Fiio L10 fix this or at least help a little?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Respond to this or PM me if you want

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Part 2

I'm Using Foobar, stock, completely. When I use my computer as a source for my speakers and headphones it sounds really great. Are there any addins out there for it that I should know about or have to get more out of it?

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #20,520 of 29,490
Quote:
I've got an ipod 5gen classic 60gb with rockbox. I use it A LOT. There are a few thing I want to do to it, but I wanted to know what I should do first, how much it would cost me, and what your opinions were? My headphones are ATHm50 and Vsonic GR04 flagship. Next pair will be hifi grade. Oh yeah, BTW it's all flac.

1. iMod? Worth it or not? What benefits do I get?
2. I want an amp, but not something crazy expensive. I was thinking the Fiio e12 when it comes out. Any thoughts? 
I use the E17, which has a decent amp and a decent DAC, nothing fancy but more than good enough.  My ATHM50's are so much better with the amp and i get way better battery life out of my ipod classic
3. Big one here, Cables. I've read some places that LOD means A LOT. Also read it doesn't mean much of anything? Which is it? Is the Fiio L9 good enough for do I need one of those fancy $200 ones? 
an immediate and noticeable difference using the LOD.  i use the fiio L9, never tried a fancy one...i can't imagine how anyone doesn't notice the difference here
4. Should I be playing my music through my iPod's line out, if not, how should I be playing it?
LOD, no question
5. Is the hard drive worth switching to SSD? I walk with it but not run. How much do these cost? 
5. Am I correct in thinking that DAC's do not work with the older iPods? 
6. I plan on also using this as a source in my car and for my home speakers. In both cases, it is a 3.5 mm jack. I noticed that with the line out, when compared to my nano's line out, sounds like garbo on my $1000 car system. Would a Fiio L10 fix this or at least help a little?
I haven't tried mine in the car yet (satellite radio LOL) but from what i understand, one can use the Fiio DAC to bypass the stereo as a pass-thru, which should make it way better

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Respond to this or PM me if you want

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Part 2

I'm Using Foobar, stock, completely. When I use my computer as a source for my speakers and headphones it sounds really great. Are there any addins out there for it that I should know about or have to get more out of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back