1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum

1. Doc-holliday

Well you are comparing two phones that are very different. HE400 is an open headphone and is not intended to be a portable, while the M100 is a full sized closed back headphone intended for portability.

Give more info and someon can prolly help you better. I don't know how many people have had the chance to hear the M100 who posts on here yet so you should also just look at the M-100 thread.

2. joehalo
    Hi, I am looking for some closed cans for home use. Budget is <$200 I listen to classic rock, prog rock and jazz mostly. My DAC/AMP is a FIIO E10. I have narrowed my search to these cans - (AKG K 272 HD)  (Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro) (Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO) (Ultrasone HFI-780) (BRAINWAVZ HM5) (Fostex T50RP)  If anyone has any opinions on these cans or any other cans in my price range I would appreciate it.

3. KG Jag
    Quote:

The KRK KNS 8400 is a good choice.  They are much more neutral than the M50.

4. KG Jag
    Quote:

Maybe the Audio Technica ATHESW9A.  The M50 (+/- S) don't need an amp, but have a "V" shaped EQ with recessed mids.  I prefer the KRK and 840 over the M50.

Probably a your better route would be to add an amp and get the Shure SRH 940 or Ultrasone Pro 750.

5. Doc-holliday

You could also look at these senny's that have pretty much the same exact size and fit to the bose that you liked. They sound decent (especially for 50 bucks shipped).

http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_15429/Sennheiser-PX-360-Around-The-Ear-Collapsible-MP3-iPod-Wired-Headphones-Refurbished-.html

6. KG Jag
    Quote:

For bass the 440 is better and does not need an amp.

7. KG Jag
    Quote:

I'd go with either the KRK KNS 8400 (neutral) or Shure SRH 840 (mid bass hump with somewhat recessed highs).

I will add that you have listed some cans with quite varied sound signatures.

8. evildude683
    Hi guys, I know there are a few threads debating technical differences among the Sony 7506 and the V6's but I'm still torn between them, I want a bit more clarity and "crisp" sound.
    I listen to all types of music except rap, I will mostly used them with a cheap Sony str-dh100 for music and my Pioneer vsx-1120k while playing videogames.
    I might get myself a cmoy to use along with iPod/iPad/iPhone.

Thank you.

9. KG Jag
    Quote:

The 7506 is newer and better than the classic but long in the tooth V6.

10. PurpleAngel Contributor
    Quote:
    Do what I did, buy a used MDR-V6 and buy some Beyerdynamic EDT 200/250 V ($23) Velour ear pads for them.

11. kmitschiener
    Hey :))

so right now I'm looking for a complimentary set of cans for my ath m50s. I'm deciding between the HiFiman he 300 and sennheiser hd 650. My current set up is Macbook pro > HRT Music streamer II > HiFiMan ef2a w/stock tubes.

I listen to a very wide spectrum of music but for the set of cans I'm gonna buy it's mostly gonna be unplugged and rock. Lots of live recordings. They'll only be used at home.

12. KG Jag
    Quote:

The Senn is the better choice by far.

13. Hooster
    Sorry to repeat myself, but:

Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 ohm, re cabled with balanced cable vs Hifiman HE-400 with balanced cable. They would be terminated with a 4 pin XLR. Amping is not an issue since I have an amp that would work great for either one.

Yes, folks, that seems to be the choice I am faced with. Both of these options end up costing around $550 or so. The DT 880 ends up costing so much because of the price of re cabling, while the Hifiman just needs a new cable that plugs right in so there is no labor involved. Is this a no brainer? Is the HE-400 a better choice or am I missing something? I like all kinds of music apart from hard rock. I like good rythm and timing and some attack.

Many thanks.

14. KG Jag
    Quote:

Hope you get an answer but not too many regulars here are likely familiar with one, much less two, of these customized cans.

15. Hooster
    Thanks, no problem.