Earbuds Round-Up
May 9, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #75,361 of 75,632
20240509_120939.jpg
My LREY flat heads have arrived. Thanks to @ttorbic for orchestrating the joint purchase of these marvellous flatheads.
The W03pro after a few songs is a lovely warm bassy listen with dark treble I would have been happy with the sound of these and singing their praises if not for the Aurora which is a level above in every aspect much more clarity with more detail in the bass and mids and better treble extension. Like a veil being lifted a real headphone experience. All listen done with the Cayin N7 + Topping NX7 using 4.4mm.
Very happy with the whole experience offering crazy value for money. 20240509_121650.jpg
Edit the stage width on the Aurora is so good it took my breath away
super glad you're happy with them!

what do you think about the subbass on the Aurora?

May 9, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #75,362 of 75,632
super glad you're happy with them!

what do you think about the subbass on the Aurora?
One word subbass is enormous! Don't know what I was expecting but having the Fii0 Ff3 and Dunu Alpha 3 the Aurora blow then both out of the water. It's like I'm infront of big speakers playing vinyl really warm analogue organic sound exceptional with Jazz and 70s Classic rock The stage is just special sauce 👌
Edit I switched to the black foams to add little more clarity to let the treble cone through a bit more.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #75,364 of 75,632
What’s it like compared to Riku’s 3 series?
I only have GAS3, and the Aurora has more subbass for sure. I don't have the OG Serratus anymore, but I think the Aurora had the most subbass presence of all buds I've tried so far.

Note: we're still talking about earbuds, so not IEM or HP level, but still audible down to I think 22 Hz.

May 9, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #75,365 of 75,632
Thanks! 😊 I read @baskingshark 's review and his Rikubuds Saber 3 Review.
What sold me was a review where somebody compared the Rikubuds Alter Rider 3 vs Saber 3 vs Grand Alter Saber 3. For this reviewer the GAS 3 came out on top of those 3. In the end the reviewer compared it to the RW3000. He posted the link to his very thorough review over at the Rikubuds hangout. I'll repost the link here, as I think it is of interest for anyone here.
https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/goob...game-or-why-are-you-not-as-good-as/35936/1627

I don't have them yet (can'wait!) but thanks! From reading the reviews the Saber 3 might actually fit my preferences better... My reasoning for getting the GAS 3 instead is that it seems to be flawlessly tuned throughout the frequency band paired with great dynamics, staging and imaging. Also I do not own a really neutral sounding set so far. If it really should be too bright leaning for me over time I'll simply apply some eq to the low end.
Am running some sort of EQ on all of the buds I own to adjust them a tiny bit anyway...
Thanks for the review link, it's very well done and the bud to bud comparisons help potential buyers with their purchasing decisions. Please give us a few words about the GAS3 performance after you've had some time on them.

20240509_120939.jpg
My LREY flat heads have arrived. Thanks to @ttorbic for orchestrating the joint purchase of these marvellous flatheads.
The W03pro after a few songs is a lovely warm bassy listen with dark treble I would have been happy with the sound of these and singing their praises if not for the Aurora which is a level above in every aspect much more clarity with more detail in the bass and mids and better treble extension. Like a veil being lifted a real headphone experience. All listen done with the Cayin N7 + Topping NX7 using 4.4mm.
Very happy with the whole experience offering crazy value for money. 20240509_121650.jpg
Congrats on your new buds! LREY buds are getting some new fans in here.

Noted on the Rabbithole list. I was actually just looking for something to go with the new Venture electronics odo dongle I ordered as backup because my iBasso Dc04 pro has a problematic relationship with my phone. I have some Jcally ep02's of Amazon for podcasts on my walks, but those are too bright for music
Cool, it's always good to have alternative sources of buds, especially since AE sellers are limiting product choices for EU bud enthusiasts. My guess is that AE sellers don't want to deal with the EU product certifications.

May 9, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #75,367 of 75,632
That’s impressive I have Riku’s S3 and OG Red Serratus...what was the total 💷 + postage UK?
Saber 3 is quite different to GAS3, so be warned! And Serratus is always a strong performer...

One thing to note: LREY sets have QC issues. I've heard of multiple instances from Discord, so I'd say proceed with caution. I don't think he uses a coupler to channel match.

Shipping to the UK is pricey (like £40), which is why four of us got together. The earbuds themselves are not too expensive - Aurora with fixed cable is around £75 I think.

May 9, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #75,369 of 75,632
Saber 3 is quite different to GAS3, so be warned! And Serratus is always a strong performer...

One thing to note: LREY sets have QC issues. I've heard of multiple instances from Discord, so I'd say proceed with caution. I don't think he uses a coupler to channel match.

Shipping to the UK is pricey (like £40), which is why four of us got together. The earbuds themselves are not too expensive - Aurora with fixed cable is around £75 I think.
LREY noted this QC issue is only in the Aurora with the added metal pipe making connection with the wires. He says this has happened to a select few and he is making adjustments and making sure it does not happen again. I have a feeling the issue occurred on the few sets after they were mailed out. He also uses a tone generator for testing after completion. I have no worry myself.

May 9, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #75,370 of 75,632
LREY noted this QC issue is only in the Aurora with the added metal pipe making connection with the wires. He says this has happened to a select few and he is making adjustments and making sure it does not happen again. I have a feeling the issue occurred on the few sets after they were mailed out. He also uses a tone generator for testing after completion. I have no worry myself.
Sadly we know that DungLe's Rika also had channel imbalance, so the issue is not limited to pipe buds.I really hope he sorts out the problems!

May 9, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #75,371 of 75,632
Sadly we know that DungLe's Rika also had channel imbalance, so the issue is not limited to pipe buds.I really hope he sorts out the problems!
I'm completely happy with both mine had them in ear for 6 hours now 3 each, honestly and I'm blown away. Compared to the ones I have from the big brands they are a level above.

May 9, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #75,372 of 75,632
Thanks for the review link, it's very well done and the bud to bud comparisons help potential buyers with their purchasing decisions. Please give us a few words about the GAS3 performance after you've had some time on them.
Will do! I still owe everyone the comparison of the incomplete Faaeal earbuds lineup Iris 2.0 Vs Snow Lotus 2 Vs Rosemary I wanted to do however. Hope I will find time for that soon.

May 9, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #75,373 of 75,632
I'm completely happy with both mine had them in ear for 6 hours now 3 each, honestly and I'm blown away. Compared to the ones I have from the big brands they are a level above.
I didn't hear anything wrong with your set :wink: enjoy mate!

May 9, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #75,374 of 75,632
Here's a review of the Shozy MXN: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/shozy-mxn.27213/reviews#review-33814

This is a midcentric midFI earbud that is very lush, musical and smooth.

Pros:
Well accessorized
Comfortable and low-profile fitting
Relatively easy to drive
Warm mid-centric profile
Excellent timbre
Smooth and non-fatiguing treble
Thick note weight with lush midrange
Punchy and textured mid-bass
Very musical signature

Cons:
Non-detachable cable
Sub-bass roll-off
Not for trebleheads
Not the last word in micro-detailing and resolution

MXN 9.jpg
Excellent review! Love all your reviews -- thank you for the care and effort you put into them!

May 9, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #75,375 of 75,632
20240509_120939.jpg
I have the same pair of buds coming from LREY and it is great to see your early impressions! Please give us more detailed impressions when you've had a chance to live with them a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back