Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 11, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #74,899 of 75,558
So i had the TRN EMA for a couple of days now, have been pairing them with the KZ AZ09 pro as daily driver TWS, and so far i really liking them for what they do. i have to swap them left to right and wear them upside down (Sony Xperia Ear style), but they do fit great like that. I'm using them without any foams at the moment. I tested them with some rubber rings from my other earbuds, and it would increase the subbass response nicely like that, but the rubber rings that i have are a little loose on the EMA. maybe the VE Monk type rubber rings would fit better for my ears.

Soundwise, they're pleasant. not too analytical or warm, but more on the neutral side with emphasis on the mids.. liking them for podcast/youtube.

Thanks a lot! Confirming that this under-the-ear configuration works for the non-Pro version of KZ-AZ09. I have foams over mine and it stays in my ears even when I'm gently shaking my head. Over the ear puts pressure on the cartilage and came be a little uncomfortable after half an hour or so.

My motivation for pairing the TRN EMA and my KZ-AZ09 was to make the KZ-AZ09 useful since it doesn't fit my Chu 2 and Simgot EW200 (pins too short for recessed ports). I'd say this pairing is a success since the earbuds don't get loose and fall off the 2-pin connectors. The combo is good for situational awareness and for when you don't want to wear IEMs (wet ears from showering, slight inflammation etc.)

TRN EMA sounds exactly as described. It's good for vocals, so it's perfect for podcast and videogame commentaries. The bass and especially the sub-bass is definitely anemic, but I'm not a basshead and I've never been too bothered by it. The open air feeling is a nice change of pace from the typical IEM sound, although I still often go back to IEMs for the isolation, deep rumble, soundstage and details.

kJPU8Ux.jpeg
2SI05mG.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #74,900 of 75,558
Apr 11, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #74,901 of 75,558
FF3 is on my radar already. About the Yinman, I don't have an amp strong enough to push it. And they're too expensive (taxes in Brazil are around 92% when the product costs more than 50 USD). Aside this, what portable amp can push it?
Would Fiio Q15 drive the Yinman 600 adequately? Looking for the most competent portable source under $300-$400 USD.

https://www.fiio.com/q15_parameters
I know we talk about being able to drive the Yinman properly a lot on this thread, but honestly, they can be driven fairly well from even a less powerful source as long as you don't expect any loud listening levels. Not that they can't (for some reason) accomplish this on a lesser device, they just aren't damped correctly (the rebound of the driver after it has been pushed to make the sound being reproduced). This sound is very pleasing for some. The point is that if you want them to sound as best they can (the reason most are wowed by them), then it will require more power.

So, while @baskingshark is absolutely correct in his conclusion/recommendation, at lower levels you can get great sound, and at medium to louder levels, good sound. HERE is a post that I made that should give a decent starting place to figuring out what you might need to push these, or what type of amp you might need. @mt877 helped to verify that these numbers aren't just on paper, but are functionally accurate (not accounting for any voltage swing that might occur, of course). As you can see from that post the Qudelix 5K is not very powerful (in this regard) but can indeed drive the Yinman 600.

On the other hand, I have witnessed first hand that more power for these REALLY brings everything together. I WAS using a DX300 with Amp12 card (capable of roughly 5W, which is huge for a portable), and after I got my iCan Signature (capable of roughly 14W) things did indeed sound SO much better. Now, if I didn't know any better, I would have been totally happy with the DX300 with the Yinmans.

Unless your ear is used to hearing nothing but TOTL, then even out of a phone the Yinman can sound very good to one's ears.
Has anyone tried to DIY a Yinman? Identical wooden shells are available on Ali and I think(?) the drivers are too. (600Ω Beryllium)
I don't think this is the same driver (though I have been known to be wrong before :wink:). The sensitivity for this driver is 100dB/mW, where the Yinman driver is only 87dB/mW. Since someone has cracked open theirs (@jeejack for one), I see no proof of tom-foolery going on, such as adding resistors, or capacitors, etc... That leads me to believe that this is either a custom driver, or some shelf driver that most/none of us have seen elsewhere. :)

Though, it would still be REALLY cool to make a "clone" of sorts... :)

Be like Nike and "Just Do It" brother! haha

Edit: Also, and I could be totally wrong here as well, but aren't those drivers too big for the shell in question? Those are 15.4mm and I am thinking (not by measurement, but by looking with my eyes) that they require a 14.8mm???????
This is just one man’s opinion, but I am very satisfied with the sound of my Yinman 600s out of my VE Megatron. The sound is even better when I run it through the FX Sound app on my PC.
I have heard that the Megatron can run these to satisfaction by others as well. I don't doubt it because (as mentioned above), they CAN sound decent right out of a phone. When we talk about needing more power, it isn't the goal to scare people away, or be afraid to try these. It is simply to let people know that they CAN get even better when driven with the intended amount of power. Take our suggestions as more of a recommendation, not a necessity. Just don't expect the ear nirvana that can be had from having the proper gear; though again, it COULD be ear nirvana to that specific person, just not to some/most of us that know their potential.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #74,902 of 75,558
If you can find the shell tell us 😉Screenshot_20240411_154052_Discord.jpg

that is such a sad sight to see. I always thought of trying to open those up, but now I think I'll try to keep them in good condition instead :p

Would Fiio Q15 drive the Yinman 600 adequately? Looking for the most competent portable source under $300-$400 USD.

https://www.fiio.com/q15_parameters

I use a Topping G5, and I like the sound of the Yinman from them. It looks like the Q15 has more power output than the G5. It should be fine.

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #74,903 of 75,558
So, while @baskingshark is absolutely correct in his conclusion/recommendation, at lower levels you can get great sound, and at medium to louder levels, good sound. HERE is a post that I made that should give a decent starting place to figuring out what you might need to push these, or what type of amp you might need. @mt877 helped to verify that these numbers aren't just on paper, but are functionally accurate (not accounting for any voltage swing that might occur, of course). As you can see from that post the Qudelix 5K is not very powerful (in this regard) but can indeed drive the Yinman 600.
Here's the post from me that @samandhi is referring to.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #74,904 of 75,558
TL;DR: OpenHeart's Nightingale is a great budget earbud with similar tuning to Yincrow's earbuds; rougher around the edges and sibilant at times but tameable with minor EQ settings. Very easy to drive and sound great even with low-end sources but does take a stupid amount of bass boost to have decent low end. More flexible than other budget buds due to the MMCX connectors but cable isn't great and the MMCX plugs are incredibly difficult to remove, needs an MMCX tool.

I've been meaning to write a full post about OpenHeart's Nightingale which was mentioned here back in 2022 by several people but without any follow-up I could find. I wanted to compare it against the RW-2000 that I had foolishly left at home while traveling before I posted my thoughts about it. And after listening to the two side-by-side with my Qudelix 5K it has me re-evaluating whether I really need some of the buds I was interested in, as well as what I'm willing to pay for higher-end earbuds. While the RW2K has a much more refined, smoother sound with deeper bass extension and greater treble resolution, the Nightingale is at the beginning of the same region at least to my ears. Maybe I would notice a more profound difference with a higher-end source, but how high would I need to go to achieve a noticeable improvement? That's a deep, deep rabbit hole with no end in sight...

I honestly never thought I would get the quality of sound I get with this bud out of TRN's BT3S Pro or even the BT20XS, I thought I had hit the limit of both due to the lack of an amp and limited codec support respectively. They even sound great with a cheap BT-50 neckband that I had written off as not worth the money. While it takes a stupid amount of bass boost (+40% in Poweramp EQ... yeah I know...) to have decent bass presence I don't notice any warbling or distortion to vocals like I do with the FF3/S when I push the bass too high. There is a noticeable point where the driver can't reproduce bass frequencies but I've noticed this with the RW2K as well though it isn't nearly as pronounced. Treble can be sibilant, especially for songs with prominent female vocals, but a -1.5 dB 4K 1.41 Q peak filter was enough to tame it without reducing vocal clarity. Even using the BT3S Pro I was noticing background instruments and effects that I hadn't heard with other earbuds, this was even more noticeable when using my 5K as the source. IMO the tuning is very similar to Yincrow's, with similar instrumental punch and depth that is sorely missing from Fiio's buds for me.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows, as there are multiple songs that I enjoy listening to with the RW2K that feel constrained and stuffy with the Nightingale. Normally there is a noticeable soundstage that while not as wide as the RW2K is still present that just disappears with these songs. I'm not sure if it's the vent placement, shell design/shape, or the Hiegi foams I'm using but it's rare enough that I'm willing to overlook it since everything else sounds so good. This is my first* earbud that has an MX500-style shell, so maybe that's a contributing factor? (*I do have the X9 which has a similar shell design but I haven't listened to it nearly as much as the Nightingale so I can't compare the two). I'm also not a fan of the included cable, it's similar to Fiio's FF3 cable that I absolutely despise though it's more flexible so it doesn't get in the way as much. And holy hell I've never had such impossibly hard to remove MMCX connectors, I bought an MMCX tool because of how difficult it was to remove even when trying to use my fingernails to get between the socket and the plug. I honestly felt like I was going to break the shell with how much force I had to use to remove the cable, if you get this earbud you need an MMCX tool.

Edit: I figured out the reason I needed such a ridiculous bass boost, apparently when I was testing different levels of boost I had the Nightingale sitting much farther out than the other earbuds I use which is where it sounds the best to me. Pushing it so that it sits against the recessed part of my ear makes that bass boost overwhelming, and if the earbud is turned away from my ear canal the bass boost disappears and the treble becomes unbearable. Having it sit on the edge of the lip below the recess of your ear is the perfect spot for me. For anyone trying this earbud it would be a good idea to try several positions to see what sounds the best to you and then look in the mirror so you have a better idea of where the earbud should sit. I'm willing to deal with finicky positioning to get the best sound out of this earbud, and it's more comfortable than some of my other earbuds in this position anyway.

This earbud has really opened my eyes to what could be possible by building my own earbuds, as I was afraid it would be a lot of trial and error to achieve a sound signature I like. But if a budget-oriented store like OpenHeart* can achieve this with inexpensive and (presumably) common parts with AFAIK no additional tuning or tweaking it makes me a lot more confident that it won't be a huge time (and money) pit. I'm also going to explore more options for custom earbuds as a starting point to DIY as it will hopefully give me a feel of how individual parts sound when combined into one package. (*Apparently XinYue is likely the original seller of this same earbud according to this post, I hadn't heard of XinYue until I was seeing whether anyone else had posted about this earbud. It doesn't seem to be nearly as popular with their customers, not sure why.).
I figured out the reason I needed such a ridiculous bass boost, apparently when I was testing different levels of boost I had the Nightingale sitting much farther out than the other earbuds I use which is where it sounds the best to me. Pushing it so that it sits against the recessed part of my ear makes that bass boost overwhelming, and if the earbud is turned away from my ear canal the bass boost disappears and the treble becomes unbearable. Having it sit on the edge of the lip below the recess of your ear is the perfect spot for me. For anyone trying this earbud it would be a good idea to try several positions to see what sounds the best to you and then look in the mirror so you have a better idea of where the earbud should sit. I'm willing to deal with finicky positioning to get the best sound out of this earbud, and it's more comfortable than some of my other earbuds in this position anyway. I've only worn this earbud over ear so that will affect the sound as well. Updated my post with the above note in case anyone hasn't seen it yet.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #74,906 of 75,558
Perhaps wait a bit longer, a bit of news from VE's FB page, they will be releasing an upgraded Megatron.
!!!! What !!!! This is exciting news!!

Apr 12, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #74,907 of 75,558
If you can find the shell tell us 😉
On second thought I was probably thinking of the MMCX version:laughing: Luckily it looks pretty easy to 3D print a copy. Do you still have the shell to take some measurements from?

I don't think this is the same driver (though I have been known to be wrong before :wink:). The sensitivity for this driver is 100dB/mW, where the Yinman driver is only 87dB/mW. Since someone has cracked open theirs (@jeejack for one), I see no proof of tom-foolery going on, such as adding resistors, or capacitors, etc... That leads me to believe that this is either a custom driver, or some shelf driver that most/none of us have seen elsewhere. :)

It looks like you're right, they're similar but slightly different. Although the sensitivity isn't necessarily a smoking gun as I'm pretty sure you can lower sensitivity of a driver by damping the ever-loving crap out of it (à la Final E5000)

Edit: Also, and I could be totally wrong here as well, but aren't those drivers too big for the shell in question? Those are 15.4mm and I am thinking (not by measurement, but by looking with my eyes) that they require a 14.8mm???????
Can someone in the thread confirm this?

There goes my dream of an easy budget Yinman clone :joy:

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #74,908 of 75,558
SHOZY MXN 32ohm 15.4mm Dynamic Driver Audiophile Earbud is available now :relaxed:

We invite reviewers who are interested in this earbud to review it:)Please PM me!:raised_hand:

https://penonaudio.com/SHOZY-MXN

SHZOY MX 500 earbud.jpg

Last edited:
PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Apr 12, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #74,909 of 75,558
I know we talk about being able to drive the Yinman properly a lot on this thread, but honestly, they can be driven fairly well from even a less powerful source as long as you don't expect any loud listening levels. Not that they can't (for some reason) accomplish this on a lesser device, they just aren't damped correctly (the rebound of the driver after it has been pushed to make the sound being reproduced). This sound is very pleasing for some. The point is that if you want them to sound as best they can (the reason most are wowed by them), then it will require more power.

On the other hand, I have witnessed first hand that more power for these REALLY brings everything together. I WAS using a DX300 with Amp12 card (capable of roughly 5W, which is huge for a portable), and after I got my iCan Signature (capable of roughly 14W) things did indeed sound SO much better. Now, if I didn't know any better, I would have been totally happy with the DX300 with the Yinmans.

Unless your ear is used to hearing nothing but TOTL, then even out of a phone the Yinman can sound very good to one's ears.

I have heard that the Megatron can run these to satisfaction by others as well. I don't doubt it because (as mentioned above), they CAN sound decent right out of a phone. When we talk about needing more power, it isn't the goal to scare people away, or be afraid to try these. It is simply to let people know that they CAN get even better when driven with the intended amount of power. Take our suggestions as more of a recommendation, not a necessity. Just don't expect the ear nirvana that can be had from having the proper gear; though again, it COULD be ear nirvana to that specific person, just not to some/most of us that know their potential.
IMG_20240412_181518.jpg
Will this be powerful enough to fully drive the Yinmans???

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back