Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 17, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #74,446 of 75,541
Thanks, as always, for your detailed and excellent research! I had only found the Google app, which said that it required android, so it is very nice to see that neutron is available for iOS as well. I will get it and try it, and report back. AsI have posted before, I really enjoy the app FX Sound for the PC, which is free, and has, for my ears, at least, wonderful DSP. I really enjoy how it makes my Yinman 600s sound with my VE Megatron.
You are very welcome. I am curious as to how well the app performs on IOS.

For PC I actually use MediaMonkey for database and tagging ( though it doesn't sound badly, it is just not bit-perfect), and Neutron for PC, and Foobar2000 for playback. They are able to play from networked drives, and since I have quite a decent sized library (over 1 TB), I store it all on NAS drives.

P.S. also MediaMonkey doesn't play back DSD files either, and I have some few in my collection.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #74,448 of 75,541
I've been meaning to post a thank you to the members of this thread that helped me choose between the RW-2000 and 3000, a special shoutout to mt877 and samandhi as their posts were instrumental in my choice. The RW-2000 are everything I was looking for in an upgrade over Yincrow's Rhino and I've been very happy with how they sound. The main thing that kept me from posting a thank you was that I had inconsistent sound; sometimes I would hear full, rich sounds and other times it would sound flat. I thought maybe it was due to my ongoing health issues that can affect my hearing (on top of tinnitus, yay) but I finally realized it was due to how they sat in my ear.

With the Rhino I used Fiio's LC-RC which was a perfect fit, it kept the Rhino in the correct position for my ears and was so comfortable I could wear them all day. But with the RW-2000 if I kept them in the correct position I would experience ear pain after only half an hour and the position would shift even without any movement. I tried the included cable from the RW-2000 in both over ear and straight down positions but if I moved at all the earbuds would shift and the sound would change. At first I thought it was just the larger diameter of the RW-2000 compared to the Rhino but when I put them side-by-side I noticed how much of a difference in position the MMCX connector had between the two. The raised connector on the Rhino is likely why they worked with the LC-RC but the RW-2000 didn't since it has a lower connector position. This combined with the fairly stiff heat-shrink on the LC-RC was likely the source of my problem.

So I set out to find a cable that had the same curved MMCX connector with more flexible heat-shrink and a wider curve radius. Thankfully I had seen this cable from OpenHeart on AliExpress that was exactly what I was looking for so I took a chance and ordered one since it was fairly cheap. I received it a few days ago and am happy to report that it has solved most of the issues I was having with the LC-RC, there is still some pain but doesn't happen nearly as fast and isn't as noticeable as before. Thankfully even though the cable is thinner and the heat-shrink is more flexible it still keeps the RW-2000 in the position where it sounds the best. If anyone knows of any similar cables I would be willing to try them as well but for now I'm happy with this combo.

Thanks again for the help, so glad I found this thread and all of the extremely knowledgeable people here.

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #74,449 of 75,541
I've been meaning to post a thank you to the members of this thread that helped me choose between the RW-2000 and 3000, a special shoutout to mt877 and samandhi as their posts were instrumental in my choice. The RW-2000 are everything I was looking for in an upgrade over Yincrow's Rhino and I've been very happy with how they sound. The main thing that kept me from posting a thank you was that I had inconsistent sound; sometimes I would hear full, rich sounds and other times it would sound flat. I thought maybe it was due to my ongoing health issues that can affect my hearing (on top of tinnitus, yay) but I finally realized it was due to how they sat in my ear.

With the Rhino I used Fiio's LC-RC which was a perfect fit, it kept the Rhino in the correct position for my ears and was so comfortable I could wear them all day. But with the RW-2000 if I kept them in the correct position I would experience ear pain after only half an hour and the position would shift even without any movement. I tried the included cable from the RW-2000 in both over ear and straight down positions but if I moved at all the earbuds would shift and the sound would change. At first I thought it was just the larger diameter of the RW-2000 compared to the Rhino but when I put them side-by-side I noticed how much of a difference in position the MMCX connector had between the two. The raised connector on the Rhino is likely why they worked with the LC-RC but the RW-2000 didn't since it has a lower connector position. This combined with the fairly stiff heat-shrink on the LC-RC was likely the source of my problem.

So I set out to find a cable that had the same curved MMCX connector with more flexible heat-shrink and a wider curve radius. Thankfully I had seen this cable from OpenHeart on AliExpress that was exactly what I was looking for so I took a chance and ordered one since it was fairly cheap. I received it a few days ago and am happy to report that it has solved most of the issues I was having with the LC-RC, there is still some pain but doesn't happen nearly as fast and isn't as noticeable as before. Thankfully even though the cable is thinner and the heat-shrink is more flexible it still keeps the RW-2000 in the position where it sounds the best. If anyone knows of any similar cables I would be willing to try them as well but for now I'm happy with this combo.

Thanks again for the help, so glad I found this thread and all of the extremely knowledgeable people here.
I no longer have the rw2000 but I seem to remember that if I swapped the shells, i.e. L shell in right ear and R shell in left ear, it was more comfortable for me. Don't know if that helps you.

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #74,451 of 75,541

That is both sad and fantastic to hear. I am sorry that they cause pain, and that you had to change the cable to make them work for you, but I am very happy that you finally found a "tolerable" solution to your issue. I also commend you for sticking with it long enough to find that they are indeed a great set of buds....

If you can find another cable, I would stick with as thin as you can. I think that the weight of the (pretty large) stock cable might be part of the problem for causing pain for you. I personally have found that the stock cable for the Smabat M2s Pro was perfect for earbuds because not only is it very thin, but it is also coated with something like a very very soft cloth, making it so light that I can hardly tell it is there. Normally I worry about a cable this thin for both sound skewing and longevity, but this cable has been great for many years now. Having said that, I know you cannot get this particular cable as the buds have been discontinued, but also because Smabat doesn't sell their cables seperately (I wrote to them asking about this with the answer of "NO"... :wink:).

I have not seen something similar as of yet, but I am always on the lookout. Quality cables this thin are getting rare because the masses believe that the thicker, the better; which I might have agreed with some years ago because thinner cables used to have high resistance values. Newer technologies have enabled cables to be both thin and lower resistant, as well as being sold at a cheaper cost.

As an alternative, don't forget that there is always the ear wings, silicone donuts, and the over ear hooks that can keep them seated and comfortable for longer (relieving pressure):

61fA3VL1OEL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

20210731_160753.jpg

20220310_011457.jpg

Mar 18, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #74,452 of 75,541
That is both sad and fantastic to hear. I am sorry that they cause pain, and that you had to change the cable to make them work for you, but I am very happy that you finally found a "tolerable" solution to your issue. I also commend you for sticking with it long enough to find that they are indeed a great set of buds....

If you can find another cable, I would stick with as thin as you can. I think that the weight of the (pretty large) stock cable might be part of the problem for causing pain for you. I personally have found that the stock cable for the Smabat M2s Pro was perfect for earbuds because not only is it very thin, but it is also coated with something like a very very soft cloth, making it so light that I can hardly tell it is there. Normally I worry about a cable this thin for both sound skewing and longevity, but this cable has been great for many years now. Having said that, I know you cannot get this particular cable as the buds have been discontinued, but also because Smabat doesn't sell their cables seperately (I wrote to them asking about this with the answer of "NO"... :wink:).

I have not seen something similar as of yet, but I am always on the lookout. Quality cables this thin are getting rare because the masses believe that the thicker, the better; which I might have agreed with some years ago because thinner cables used to have high resistance values. Newer technologies have enabled cables to be both thin and lower resistant, as well as being sold at a cheaper cost.

As an alternative, don't forget that there is always the ear wings, silicone donuts, and the over ear hooks that can keep them seated and comfortable for longer (relieving pressure):

61fA3VL1OEL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
20210731_160753.jpg
20220310_011457.jpg
An alternative to the Smabat cable. You can choose between blue and purple
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EyyUnXX

Attachments

• IMG_20240225_210227_172.jpg
    IMG_20240225_210227_172.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Mar 19, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #74,454 of 75,541
Mar 20, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #74,455 of 75,541
SHOZY Cygnus MKII audiophile earbud is available now :relaxed:

SHOZY Cygnus MKII is the upgrade version of SHOZY Cygnus , it is comfortable to listen to, popular tuning, more balanced, more details, larger sound field.

https://penonaudio.com/SHOZY-Cygnus-MKII

We are here to invite audiophiles who both have Shozy Cygnus and Shozy BK earbuds to write reviews.If anyone's interested,PM me:)

SHOZY CYGNUS MKII.jpg

PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Mar 20, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #74,456 of 75,541
SHOZY Cygnus MKII audiophile earbud is available now :relaxed:

SHOZY Cygnus MKII is the upgrade version of SHOZY Cygnus , it is comfortable to listen to, popular tuning, more balanced, more details, larger sound field.

https://penonaudio.com/SHOZY-Cygnus-MKII

We are here to invite audiophiles who both have Shozy Cygnus and Shozy BK earbuds to write reviews.If anyone's interested,PM me:)

I don't mean to seem too negative here, but I thought it was against the rules of the forum for a sponsor or "member of the trade" to post advertisements in threads such as these?! I seem to recall (our own) @RikudouGoku getting into trouble once upon a time for discussing his brand on here (though it has been a long while, so I don't remember all the details by now).

Even so, If I were to spend this type of money on a set of earbuds, I would want to know more details about it anyhow. Such as; what type of driver coating does it have, is the sensitivity listed as dB/mW or dB/1VRMS (they are completely different; 113dB/1VRMS is actually something like 98.22dB/mW), and etc...

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #74,457 of 75,541
I don't mean to seem too negative here, but I thought it was against the rules of the forum for a sponsor or "member of the trade" to post advertisements in threads such as these?! I seem to recall (our own) @RikudouGoku getting into trouble once upon a time for discussing his brand on here (though it has been a long while, so I don't remember all the details by now).

Even so, If I were to spend this type of money on a set of earbuds, I would want to know more details about it anyhow. Such as; what type of driver coating does it have, is the sensitivity listed as dB/mW or dB/1VRMS (they are completely different; 113dB/1VRMS is actually something like 98.22dB/mW), and etc...
Penon is a sponsor and Riku isn't. Draw your own conclusions :wink:

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #74,458 of 75,541

Sponsors essentially have much more free reign over what they can say and do with their own stuff, as long as they aren't attacking or genuinely hurting the forum.

Sponsors have to pay up to get this ability, MoT don't pay.

Mar 20, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #74,459 of 75,541
BUYER BEWARE OF AVCCK EARPHONES STORE ON ALIEXPRESS

I purchased a Puresounds 100-500
From them that arrived without sound in the right earbud. They asked for a video to
Show this so I did and they still
Refuse to refund me! So BEWARE if you get a faulty product, you’re stuck with it!

Mar 20, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #74,460 of 75,541
BUYER BEWARE OF AVCCK EARPHONES STORE ON ALIEXPRESS

I purchased a Puresounds 100-500
From them that arrived without sound in the right earbud. They asked for a video to
Show this so I did and they still
Refuse to refund me! So BEWARE if you get a faulty product, you’re stuck with it!
I think I read someone else having similar issues and they were able to resolve it by going directly to aliexpress. If I recall correctly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back