Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 23, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #74,041 of 75,279
Wow! Bro, you've been through a lot and I hope for your speedy recovery from the last bits of illness. I got a miserable cold this winter and after I recovered from that, I continued with a nagging after effect cough for about a month, so while not as bad... all I can say is getting sick sucks!
Thank you very much! I am indeed feeling much much better. And, even though I still have the sinus infection, I am only having coughing fits a couple times a day now (where, like you, it was pretty much all the time before). No words could be spoken better; it REALLY does suck! :wink:

On top of all that (this is all OT, sorry) the doctors here in the states, do NOT give medicine anymore. For my Flu A, and Pneumonia, I got prescribed some cough medicine with codeine in it, which might sound cool, but not what I was looking for (and I got NOTHING for the sinus infection, normally an antibiotic will work really fast for my body). I realize it is a virus, so antibiotics don't work, but they gave me nothing to ease the symptoms other than simply knocking me out. I ended up burning a huge chunk of my vacation time up (2 whole weeks) from work because of this... Of course the doctor told me, when asked, that they try to never prescribe antibiotics for anything anymore because the more they do, the quicker the body gets immune to them...... I am 53 years old, and have been taking them for my whole life, and even up to as long as before COVID, they have ALWAYS worked for me quickly... so I call BS on those such doctors... LOL

Anyhow, I see that you have been in the DIY mode as of late. I love what you have done, and that you are sharing builds with people on here. It is fantastic! Also, to add to your comments about the Yincrow RW4000 at one point, I am also waiting for the "discount days" to get them... I don't think I will be paying full price for these at any time (though I am sure they are fantastic as well as the others in the RW family). 🤷‍♂️

I am still (eagerly) awaiting impressions from @JAnonymous5150, unless I somehow missed his post while I was away?!

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #74,042 of 75,279
Do any of you know what tips these are? They came with a set of Fir Audio RN6 demos. I like them on the Monarch MKIII IEMs. I reached out to Fir and haven't received
response, yet.
IMG_9107.jpgIMG_9106.jpg
I do believe that these are the Whirlwind tips.

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #74,043 of 75,279
I do believe that these are the Whirlwind tips.
As a matter of fact, I am PRETTY sure that is what they are. Here are my set (S, M, L) of (exclusive blue ones) from my iBasso IT-07:
20240223_192103.jpg
and here is a link for the regular ones:
HERE

Though, to me, and looking at the picture you provided, it looks as though you have the Tennmak exclusive Turbo Whirlwinds, as seen here.

P.S. And I can tell you that these are some of my favorite tips for sound, and they fit very well (though I have some that fit even better, but don't sound quite as good with a range of my gear).

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #74,044 of 75,279
This thread is so great. It's so informative and a pleasure to go back and read older posts. I read this one thread, more than, the entire headphone sub at reddit. Which is a good sub filled with great people and is a joy to read all well. But a single thread to beat it a sub... That says something.

Anyways, off topic so I'll see myself out the door now.

Feb 23, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #74,045 of 75,279
This thread is so great. It's so informative and a pleasure to go back and read older posts. I read this one thread, more than, the entire headphone sub at reddit. Which is a good sub filled with great people and is a joy to read all well. But a single thread to beat it a sub... That says something.

Anyways, off topic so I'll see myself out the door now.
That very statement is also the reason I joined this thread some time back... There was another fellow that I was pretty close with (has quite Head-Fi since :slight_frown:) that came here and led me here as well. Before I was "glued" to this thread, I used to frequent the (almost as long) thread about wireless head gear, even though I am not quite as interested in BT stuff, the talk was generally very friendly, like here. Some other threads, I used to talk in still has the "elitists" that Head-Fi used to be known for... haha

I also go way back in this thread to read older posts as well. I have to be getting close to having read it ALL by now.... ROFL
And it IS indeed very interesting reading; probably one of the reasons that it has kept alive for so long.

BTW! So that I am not off topic once again in my post, I'll just say FLATHEAD EARBUDS to keep on topic.

Not earbuds, but you get the idea:
Beer.gif

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #74,047 of 75,279
Apologies, but you cannot purchase these (AFAIK). After I posted about them (and the rest), I felt badly, and I should have posted on the Fran appreciation thread instead. FranQL is one of the best DIYers out there, but he does it for the joy of it, rather than for profit. He pays for ALL the materials out of his own pocket.

I second the Chaconne (as you know from reading that post you quoted LOL). And thank you, sir for the praise... it is highly appreciated, and part of why I love helping people on Head-Fi in general. :)

I have been really sick, for what seems forever. I started with a sinus infection, then went into Influenza A (the worst case I have ever had), then straight into Pneumonia, and ended up with a topping of (more) sinus infection, all of which I am over now, except the sinus infection. It seems to want to cling to me come hell or high water... :wink:

Apologies for not being around much, though I have managed to read most everything since I last posted, I was just not feeling able to post (or even "like" with only half a brain in my head)..

I hope everyone has been doing well, and enjoying all of their toys... :sunglasses: :thumbsup:

And last but not least for a "return to the fold" post, as opposed to my usual individual congrats phrase, I will just say to ALL: Congrats on your new shiny(s); be it store bought or DIY! :)

For those that have not yet given impressions on their new stuff, I would love to read about them.
Sorry to hear. Glad you’re feeling better, good to see you around here again!

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #74,049 of 75,279
Thank you very much! I am indeed feeling much much better. And, even though I still have the sinus infection, I am only having coughing fits a couple times a day now (where, like you, it was pretty much all the time before). No words could be spoken better; it REALLY does suck! :wink:

On top of all that (this is all OT, sorry) the doctors here in the states, do NOT give medicine anymore. For my Flu A, and Pneumonia, I got prescribed some cough medicine with codeine in it, which might sound cool, but not what I was looking for (and I got NOTHING for the sinus infection, normally an antibiotic will work really fast for my body). I realize it is a virus, so antibiotics don't work, but they gave me nothing to ease the symptoms other than simply knocking me out. I ended up burning a huge chunk of my vacation time up (2 whole weeks) from work because of this... Of course the doctor told me, when asked, that they try to never prescribe antibiotics for anything anymore because the more they do, the quicker the body gets immune to them...... I am 53 years old, and have been taking them for my whole life, and even up to as long as before COVID, they have ALWAYS worked for me quickly... so I call BS on those such doctors... LOL

Anyhow, I see that you have been in the DIY mode as of late. I love what you have done, and that you are sharing builds with people on here. It is fantastic! Also, to add to your comments about the Yincrow RW4000 at one point, I am also waiting for the "discount days" to get them... I don't think I will be paying full price for these at any time (though I am sure they are fantastic as well as the others in the RW family). 🤷‍♂️

I am still (eagerly) awaiting impressions from @JAnonymous5150, unless I somehow missed his post while I was away?!
I think the spread of C19 has affected our ability to fight other more common viruses harder. When I got infected with C19 about 1.5 years ago I had that same lingering phlegm (nose, throat and lungs) and constant coughing as I had after the recent cold I got. That never happen to me before when I got the common cold until now.

Yeah, I share some of my easier builds because it's a stepping stone for others that are interested in DIY, but afraid to take that first step. I admit most of those easy builds sound decent, but could be tuned for even better sound, but as mentioned it's just a stepping stone for folks to build something and feel a sense of accomplishment.

Nothing from JA about the RW-4000, he's gone "UA" (Unauthorized Absence) again.

Anyway, here's my latest build:

Val39 shell and 32Ω Bio Composite driver.

Buds01.jpg
Buds02.jpg

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #74,050 of 75,279
#notflathead

I tried the new Bose Ultra Open 'Earbuds'.

https://www.bose.com/p/earbuds/bose-ultra-open-earbuds/ULT-HEADPHONEOPN.html

I surprisingly liked them a lot. Super comfortable, unlike other 'ear clasp' types of buds that I've tried. Looks wise, I'd be happy to wear them anytime.

Sounds wise, when I turned them on, I had to double check that what I was hearing was from the buds and not from an external speaker. They sound very external to me who is used to flatheads.

They have way more bass than other clasp types. Don't sound thin at all. A bit far the opposite actually. I'd call them a bit boomy or bloated.

I kinda want them, and I'd prefer them over the Sony donuts or airpods (non pro), because of fit and style. There are times when I do want the convenience that true wireless gets you. But I would always miss the levels of detail and tuning that I'm used to from my normal earbuds.
Those look very cool. You sort of alluded to the sound, but more to the point, are they the typical Bose tuning (more Harmanish)? I still have a pair of their AE2W, which is their AE2 with a BT dongle connected to it. For me, these are the best that Bose was able to produce (to my hearing). The OG soundsport Free BT earphones (I refuse to call any of these "buds" :)) weren't horrid, but I didn't like the tuning much.

When you refer to the Sony donuts, are you talking about the OG Linkbuds? For me, while they aren't the MOST comfortable of all time, I actually really like the sound of these. Interesting that you find them to sound better, even with a bloated bass.... Maybe you were in one of those moods that you really needed to hear the bass in a big way that day??? :wink:
I think the spread of C19 has affected our ability to fight other more common viruses harder. When I got infected with C19 about 1.5 years ago I had that same lingering phlegm (nose, throat and lungs) and constant coughing as I had after the recent cold I got. That never happen to me before when I got the common cold until now.
I guess I hadn't considered that. When I finally DID catch it (just last year), it was only like a mild cold to me, and this flu/pneumonia was much worse... But, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that you are right.
Yeah, I share some of my easier builds because it's a stepping stone for others that are interested in DIY, but afraid to take that first step. I admit most of those easy builds sound decent, but could be tuned for even better sound, but as mentioned it's just a stepping stone for folks to build something and feel a sense of accomplishment.

Nothing from JA about the RW-4000, he's gone "UA" (Unauthorized Absence) again.
Well, it is a great thing you are doing there my friend! Keep doing it.

LOL "UA", nice! Well, he better get is arse back here and let us know. haha Plus, the fact that I haven't really gotten to chat with him for some time...
Anyway, here's my latest build:

Val39 shell and 32Ω Bio Composite driver.
Those look fantastic! I really love the cable on that. I do like braided cables as well, but prefer either a one-piece, or twisted (rather than braided) for earbuds. It looks like it is not perfectly stiff (like the FF3 cable) but also not soft as mud either. :)

So, I wanted to thank you again for your (what seems like 10 years ago) recommendation of the A-Bells. I have come to realize that they do in fact sound much like the (beloved) M2s Pro from days gone by, but without the super shouty nature in the presence region; which also reminds me of the sound from the OG EB2S as well. The more I listen to them (and I still do all the time) the more I love them for a super stout budget option that I can use as beaters, and not have to worry about them falling apart on me, but still sound really good (if you can lower your expectations just a tad from TOTL gear). and they just seem to sink into my ears for a great hold while moving around (ALMOST IEM like).

Don't get me wrong, I still listen to pretty much all of my buds (one of the reasons I don't really know if I could buy another set without getting rid of/giving away at least one set I currently own). But this one has me reconsidering recommending them as the "budget king" class. :) Though, to be fair, I don't have many budget sets left to compare with (other than the old 3rd gen Apple flatheads, the FF1 and the EB2S).

I might consider the DUNU Alpha 1 as budget set as well because I paid only $30 for them (when the OG price was $199.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). I remember I ended up buying a set for me, and a set for miserybeforethemusic (if you remember that name), because it was from a seller on Amazon, apparently trying to get rid of old stock, even though they weren't discontinued from DUNU as of yet.

Feb 24, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #74,051 of 75,279
Apologies, but you cannot purchase these (AFAIK). After I posted about them (and the rest), I felt badly, and I should have posted on the Fran appreciation thread instead. FranQL is one of the best DIYers out there, but he does it for the joy of it, rather than for profit. He pays for ALL the materials out of his own pocket.

I second the Chaconne (as you know from reading that post you quoted LOL). And thank you, sir for the praise... it is highly appreciated, and part of why I love helping people on Head-Fi in general. :)

I have been really sick, for what seems forever. I started with a sinus infection, then went into Influenza A (the worst case I have ever had), then straight into Pneumonia, and ended up with a topping of (more) sinus infection, all of which I am over now, except the sinus infection. It seems to want to cling to me come hell or high water... :wink:

Apologies for not being around much, though I have managed to read most everything since I last posted, I was just not feeling able to post (or even "like" with only half a brain in my head)..

I hope everyone has been doing well, and enjoying all of their toys... :sunglasses: :thumbsup:

And last but not least for a "return to the fold" post, as opposed to my usual individual congrats phrase, I will just say to ALL: Congrats on your new shiny(s); be it store bought or DIY! :)

For those that have not yet given impressions on their new stuff, I would love to read about them.
I wish you a speedy recovery!

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #74,054 of 75,279
Hey all, new to earbuds , coming from iems , my daily now is the IE900, what could be a good earbud equivalent or better ?
What type of music do you listen to? And what do you like about IE900?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back