Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 9, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #73,546 of 75,210
It could be re-cabled if you're handy with that kind of stuff, otherwise it's time to get a new set. Ksearphone / Temperament have released a newer version, the X series which features a partially replaceable cable.

X10 = lowest end, X6 = LBS / LBBS, X3 cost more, but not sure if they = LBS / LBBS but with different colored shells and comes with both 3.5mmSE / 4.4mmBal cables as standard. X6 can be had with just 3.5mmSE (approx. $38) or with both 3.5mmSE and 4.4mmBal cables (approx. $53).

I just got my x10 today, I was able to lower my volume to 20%.

It sounds the same except the bass seems boomier compared to my lbbs. Wonder if I should have gotten the pricier version, but I don't really want to if it will just break in 2 years again.

These chinese buds never last. Every single one I've used for more than a month have broken.

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #73,551 of 75,210
LOL actually most audio gear has components or labour or assembly done from China.

Even so-called boutique and western brands use Chinese parts.

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #73,552 of 75,210
I think rikubud is using a custom printed version and is offering mmcx
Thanks - you've sent me down the rabbit hole here! It seems the priciest version of the latest model is the only MMCX option for a Qian39-like shell. Riku's ranking sheet mentions though: "MMCX connection is extremely tight, not recommended to disconnect."

While I consider that, the answer might be a couple of spare pairs of 39's! This is the only source I can turn up right now, I guess they are legit?

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #73,553 of 75,210
I had sennheiser and jvc buds, they lasted 4+ years. Panasonic, I used for a few months, didn't break.
sennheiser, jvc, and Panasonic manufacture buds in China. My point is Chinese buds are not inherently low quality. They will make whatever you ask them to make at whatever quality you pay for. QC varies but I wouldn't just broadly categorize Chinese buds as low quality.

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #73,554 of 75,210
Thanks - you've sent me down the rabbit hole here! It seems the priciest version of the latest model is the only MMCX option for a Qian39-like shell. Riku's ranking sheet mentions though: "MMCX connection is extremely tight, not recommended to disconnect."

While I consider that, the answer might be a couple of spare pairs of 39's! This is the only source I can turn up right now, I guess they are legit?
The link only took me to ali main page. But I do believe last time I checked there was only one vendor listing the 39s

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #73,555 of 75,210
sennheiser, jvc, and Panasonic manufacture buds in China. My point is Chinese buds are not inherently low quality. They will make whatever you ask them to make at whatever quality you pay for. QC varies but I wouldn't just broadly categorize Chinese buds as low quality.

Maybe they are also manufactured in china, but they are not chinese companies and maybe have better quality control or have better chinese manufacturing than the chinese owned companies.

I'm only saying what I observed, and ever since I started buying chinese branded buds from aliexpress, they break way faster than stuff I didn't buy from there.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #73,556 of 75,210
I recently purchased the FF5s not really expecting anything and didn't really like them at first. After EQing them though, I've fallen in love with them. Still, I wonder, as we all do, is the more expensive stuff that's out there really worth it? I like warm, neutral sound signatures so I was looking into the RW3000s, but they're even pricier than the HD650s, and it's kind of difficult to drop that kind of money on a pair of earbuds from a relatively unknown manufacturer or to find reviews.
My fav pair of headphones would be the LCD2Cs or the R70xs. I find myself using the R70xs more because of comfort. My current source is the iFi Zen DAC v2 / Zen Can combo. As you can probably guess, I'm not a fan of overly analytical sound. The R70xs, to me, are pretty much perfect without any EQ. LCD2Cs I need to tone the darkness down a little. FF5s are a tad too sibilant/sparkly for me without EQ. I'd certainly appreciate some recommendations.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the RW-4000s as well!
Since you like the ATH-R70x (nice headphones, I have a set as well) and you're interested in the Yincrow RW series, then the RW-2000 might be a good fit for you.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #73,557 of 75,210
It's funny, but this may be a reason to prefer db1 - for those who get tired of exaggerated details and are just focused on music.
It's always hard to say things are so absolute in this hobby since everyone has individual fit of earbuds and their own sound preferences. While the DB1 are a nice set of buds, for my listening preferences I favor the RW-3000. The DB1 I have are not sitting idle in a drawer, I do use them, but more often then not I'm reaching for the RW-3000 as my all rounder set of buds. To me it's actually good to have buds that have different variations of tuning so that you have choices for different moods / music.

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #73,558 of 75,210
I'm listening to Bach & Abel: Solo by Lucile Boulanger on the bass viol this evening. Incredibly revealing and transparent on the Blue Moon via RU7. Not the heftiest note but there's a deftness and magic to it.
Great listening with the Blue Moon! and viola da gamba !
By the way, I'm also a fan of the cello (not only) and when there are 2 of them ...
These Earbuds capture all the ardor and nuances of these two formidable cello freaks.
RoonShareImage-638404751609804500.png

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #73,560 of 75,210
Since you like the ATH-R70x (nice headphones, I have a set as well) and you're interested in the Yincrow RW series, then the RW-2000 might be a good fit for you.
Thanks! It does sound like they'd fit me well. My only concern is their super low impedance. My FF5s are already picking up quite a bit of hum from the amp at 45ohm. I'm guessing the 16ohm on the Yincrows would exacerbate the issue, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back