Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 8, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #73,516 of 75,210
I receive a - "403 Forbidden / You don't have permission to access the URL on this server."

But, if you have a way to secure the small block of wood, something like one of these Mini CNC Machines could probably be programmed to mill the required shapes -
https://www.amazon.com/Mini-CNC-Machine/s?k=Mini+CNC+Machine
Need to be careful with those mini cnc machines. They're cool and all, but with anything cheaper comes a great cost of safety and security of it lasting.

Its like when you search for a soldering iron on amazon, you'll see super cheap ones that break in a few uses. While it may work a little bit, its lack of enclosure, ability to suck up excess debris from the cuts and keeping things accurate are all contributing factors. If a tool part fails, it's going to fly away and hurt something or somebody. And you also need to be actively brushing the part or using a cleaner right up to the part.

Talking from personal experience btw. 200usd is great and all, but a good one starts at atleast 2000usd. It sucks a lot, and I know you were trying to help but I just don't want someone in this thread to hurt themselves.

Jan 8, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #73,517 of 75,210
I recently purchased the FF5s not really expecting anything and didn't really like them at first. After EQing them though, I've fallen in love with them. Still, I wonder, as we all do, is the more expensive stuff that's out there really worth it? I like warm, neutral sound signatures so I was looking into the RW3000s, but they're even pricier than the HD650s, and it's kind of difficult to drop that kind of money on a pair of earbuds from a relatively unknown manufacturer or to find reviews.

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #73,518 of 75,210
I recently purchased the FF5s not really expecting anything and didn't really like them at first. After EQing them though, I've fallen in love with them. Still, I wonder, as we all do, is the more expensive stuff that's out there really worth it? I like warm, neutral sound signatures so I was looking into the RW3000s, but they're even pricier than the HD650s, and it's kind of difficult to drop that kind of money on a pair of earbuds from a relatively unknown manufacturer or to find reviews.
Yes, there are earbuds worth their price beyond the ff5s. As far as the rw3000s though I'd wait till they go on sale vs paying the list price. They can be purchased for less than 190 during the right sale. And that was before the release of the rw4000.

Jan 8, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #73,520 of 75,210

I own both the RW-3000s and the HD650s and, personally, I'd take the RW-3000s any day over the 650s. They're clearer, more detailed, and, IMO, a better all around performer than the HD650s. I own a lot of gear and specifically buds worth both more and less than the RW-3000s and yet the RW-3000s are one of my absolute favorite transducers in my collection. They just have such a well balanced tuning and an engaging and naturally musical presentation without any part of the frequency range being overly emphasizes or boosted. I have the RW-4000s on the way to me as I type, but no matter how good they are, I doubt my RW-3000s will be going anywhere.

All of that said, none of it means that you'll feel the same way about them. By making the comparison to the HD650s does that mean you're looking for a pair of buds that sounds similar to them? I'm sure if you tell us about other favorite transducers you have, the signal chain you intend to use your buds with, and what your tuning and music/audio preferences are, that myself and some others here can probably point you towards some good options.

Edit: I should also mention that I think the RW-3000s are significantly better than the FF5s (which I also own).

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #73,521 of 75,210
All of that said, none of it means that you'll feel the same way about them. By making the comparison to the HD650s does that mean you're looking for a pair of buds that sounds similar to them? I'm sure if you tell us about other favorite transducers you have, the signal chain you intend to use your buds with, and what your tuning and music/audio preferences are, that myself and some others here can probably point you towards some good options.
My fav pair of headphones would be the LCD2Cs or the R70xs. I find myself using the R70xs more because of comfort. My current source is the iFi Zen DAC v2 / Zen Can combo. As you can probably guess, I'm not a fan of overly analytical sound. The R70xs, to me, are pretty much perfect without any EQ. LCD2Cs I need to tone the darkness down a little. FF5s are a tad too sibilant/sparkly for me without EQ. I'd certainly appreciate some recommendations.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the RW-4000s as well!

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #73,522 of 75,210
At the risk of appearing overly commercial, I just want point out to anyone interested in them that I just put my RW-3000 up for sale in the classifieds. They’re great, but I just don’t click with the tuning. I’m selling them at what I think is a fair price (I bought them during one of the sales and the price reflects that).

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #73,523 of 75,210
I own both the RW-3000s and the HD650s and, personally, I'd take the RW-3000s any day over the 650s. They're clearer, more detailed, and, IMO, a better all around performer than the HD650s. I own a lot of gear and specifically buds worth both more and less than the RW-3000s and yet the RW-3000s are one of my absolute favorite transducers in my collection. They just have such a well balanced tuning and an engaging and naturally musical presentation without any part of the frequency range being overly emphasizes or boosted. I have the RW-4000s on the way to me as I type, but no matter how good they are, I doubt my RW-3000s will be going anywhere.

Edit: I should also mention that I think the RW-3000s are significantly better than the FF5s (which I also own).
How would you compare the rw-3000 to the Ucotech es-p2?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #73,524 of 75,210
My fav pair of headphones would be the LCD2Cs or the R70xs. I find myself using the R70xs more because of comfort. My current source is the iFi Zen DAC v2 / Zen Can combo. As you can probably guess, I'm not a fan of overly analytical sound. The R70xs, to me, are pretty much perfect without any EQ. LCD2Cs I need to tone the darkness down a little. FF5s are a tad too sibilant/sparkly for me without EQ. I'd certainly appreciate some recommendations.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the RW-4000s as well!

One more question: Do you have a price range in mind?

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #73,525 of 75,210
How would you compare the raw-3000 to the Ucotech es-p2?

VERY different buds. The ES-P2s are laid back, warm, and fairly reserved in the treble. The stage on them is wide and tall and timbre is a little warmer and more lush than what's absolutely accurate. They're also reasonably detailed, but they aren't technical monsters by any means and probably not a go to pair of buds for any critical listening. They're fantastic for jazz, blues/blues rock, and acoustic stuff in particular.

The RW-3000s, on the other hand, are well extended at both ends. The treble isn't sibilant, fatiguing, or harsh (quite the opposite in fact), but it makes it's presence known and contributed to their overall clarity. I find the RW-3000s to be musical with a kiss of warmth, but not near the warmth of the ES-P2s. The bass on the RW-3000s goes low and has good punch and articulation, but doesn't reach the boosted quantity, heft, or weighty presence of the bass on the ES-P2s. The soundstage isn't as wide as the stage on the Ucotechs, but it extends well in all three directions (width, depth, and height) and the timbre is damned near dead on accurate. They're also considerable more resolving than the ES-P2s.

In short, the ES-P2s are a very colored pair of buds that has to be right for the mood and the music and when they are the right pick, they're really something special. The RW-3000s are the consummate all-rounder: natural, balanced, technically proficient, and accurate. They give you back a very exact representation of what you feed them without coloring, boosting, or adding much of anything and they do it as well as just about any pair of buds and better than any pair I have heard for a similar price. Both are fantastic and I love having them in my collection, but they serve completely different purposes for me.

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #73,526 of 75,210
VERY different buds. The ES-P2s are laid back, warm, and fairly reserved in the treble. The stage on them is wide and tall and timbre is a little warmer and more lush than what's absolutely accurate. They're also reasonably detailed, but they aren't technical monsters by any means and probably not a go to pair of buds for any critical listening. They're fantastic for jazz, blues/blues rock, and acoustic stuff in particular.

The RW-3000s, on the other hand, are well extended at both ends. The treble isn't sibilant, fatiguing, or harsh (quite the opposite in fact), but it makes it's presence known and contributed to their overall clarity. I find the RW-3000s to be musical with a kiss of warmth, but not near the warmth of the ES-P2s. The bass on the RW-3000s goes low and has good punch and articulation, but doesn't reach the boosted quantity, heft, or weighty presence of the bass on the ES-P2s. The soundstage isn't as wide as the stage on the Ucotechs, but it extends well in all three directions (width, depth, and height) and the timbre is damned near dead on accurate. They're also considerable more resolving than the ES-P2s.

In short, the ES-P2s are a very colored pair of buds that has to be right for the mood and the music and when they are the right pick, they're really something special. The RW-3000s are the consummate all-rounder: natural, balanced, technically proficient, and accurate. They give you back a very exact representation of what you feed them without coloring, boosting, or adding much of anything and they do it as well as just about any pair of buds and better than any pair I have heard for a similar price. Both are fantastic and I love having them in my collection, but they serve completely different purposes for me.
This was awesome and exactly what I was looking for! This is the first impressions of ES-P2 in this thread I believe and I’m super grateful for your time and effort here. 🙏🏼

It honestly sounds like I will love both sets!!

Also the RW-4000 is such a looker. Love the new shell design. Like most here, looking forward to your impressions. And as always, too many buds, too little time!!

✌🏼❤️🍻

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #73,527 of 75,210
This was awesome and exactly what I was looking for! This is the first impressions of ES-P2 in this thread I believe and I’m super grateful for your time and effort here. 🙏🏼

It honestly sounds like I will love both sets!!

Also the RW-4000 is such a looker. Love the new shell design. Like most here, looking forward to your impressions. And as always, too many buds, too little time!!

✌🏼❤️🍻

No problem, bro. And as for there being "too many buds and too little time," you're preaching to the choir on that one! Keep your eye out on Friday or Saturday and I'll try to have some initial impressions up on the RW-4000s. I really dig what they did with the revised design as well. Just can't wait to hear how they revised the sound. 🤘😎

P.S. It'll most likely be Saturday for impressions since my band and I are playing two shows on Friday, but if my insomnia keeps going like it has been then I just might do it Friday night. We'll see and I'll try to keep everyone updated if something changes.

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #73,528 of 75,210
No problem, bro. And as for there being "too many buds and too little time," you're preaching to the choir on that one! Keep your eye out on Friday or Saturday and I'll try to have some initial impressions up on the RW-4000s. I really dig what they did with the revised design as well. Just can't wait to hear how they revised the sound. 🤘😎

P.S. It'll most likely be Saturday for impressions since my band and I are playing two shows on Friday, but if my insomnia keeps going like it has been then I just might do it Friday night. We'll see and I'll try to keep everyone updated if something changes.
oops you have a band! Bloody awesome! Now that "bus" turns into a caravan with all sorts of gears in my mind's eye. Sorry, new ish here and don't know the background of the posters.

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #73,529 of 75,210
oops you have a band! Bloody awesome! Now that "bus" turns into a caravan with all sorts of gears in my mind's eye. Sorry, new ish here and don't know the background of the posters.

LOL 😂 I just wrote a very long explanation on the headphones thread. No worries though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back