Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 14, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #73,246 of 75,272
They are not good for that metalic shell
Wow, I just measured the supplied connector for that shell and it matches the same dimensions as the 3.6mm diameter version, of course not the other ones listed.
Yea, I agree, I think the most important thing here is to compare the measurements measured by the same rig. And maybe my knock-off sillicone is too cheap to compare with the standard ones, lol.

I actually just tested the rig without the fake ear and also with some blutack to provide better seal and I could get results closer to your measurments, suggesting that your setup maybe more leak proof. I think I would work from here again to find out how the setup may be altered to match what I hear by testing the frequencies escaped.
https://onlinetonegenerator.com/frequency-sweep-generator.html
I use the chinese copy version (KB501X) of the GRAS KB5001 ear (without mounting board). You remove the IEM coupler from the IEC711 and screw on the ear. I also went your way and bought a cheap non-standard (for audio measurements) ear. IMO, the measurements with the cheap ear are terrible, no comparison to a decent chinese copy of one of the standards in the industry. Of course I don't have a head and torso, so the measurement can never match a high end expensive setup, but for hobby measurements it works great.

Edit: GRAS KB5000 is the right ear, KB5001 is the left ear.

Here's some good info about GRAS KB5001 ear.
KB5001 is a left pinna with anthropometric concha and ear canal for KEMAR. It is made of soft silicone, 35 Shore OO hardness.

The external shape of the pinna is identical to that of the standardized KEMAR pinna, but concha and canal have been modified so that they closely mimic the properties of a real human ear. The ear canal has been extended and is an integral part of the pinna that now seals directly against the ear simulator. Like the human ear, the ear canal now has the 1st and 2nd bend, and the interface with the concha is oval.

This shape makes it possible to achieve good insertion accuracy and sealing with anatomically shaped in-ear transducers such as ear-bud headphones, in-ear hearing protectors, and insert hearing aids. Controlling the insertion depth is easy, leading to better insertion consistency and improved repeatability of measurements. The better fit and seal also means that the low frequency response is improved. It will allow you to reproduce base response, as well as effectively measure (active & passive) attenuation.

The outer pinna has the same shape as the standardized pinna, but the flexibility has been improved to better mimic the way the human ear collapses when supra-aural and circum-aural earphones are mounted. When measuring the frequency response of these types of headphones, more reliable and repeatable measurements can be achieved because of the improved collapsibility of the pinna.

The pinna is screwed onto the ear simulator which in turn is fixed with screws that ensure that the pinna is held firmly in place. Therefore, the mounting is very stable, and it is possible to mount and dismount DUTs repeatedly without compromising the seal.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #73,247 of 75,272
I use the chinese copy version (KB501X) of the GRAS KB5001 ear (without mounting board). You remove the IEM coupler from the IEC711 and screw on the ear. I also went your way and bought a cheap non-standard (for audio measurements) ear. IMO, the measurements with the cheap ear are terrible, no comparison to a decent chinese copy of one of the standards in the industry. Of course I don't have a head and torso, so the measurement can never match a high end expensive setup, but for hobby measurements it works great.
Yea I considered getting ahis KB501X but decided to go the really cheap way. Mine is actually a silicone ear for display and there's one for earpicking practice (lol) so that one is more realistic but not suitable for the coupler. I actually just listened to a bud with the frequency sweep tool and the dips and peaks matched really well with the measurements somehow. How did you mount the cheap ear to the coupler I wonder? And do you measure with foams?
Edit: GRAS KB5000 is the right ear, KB5001 is the left ear.

Here's some good info about GRAS KB5001 ear.
KB5001 is a left pinna with anthropometric concha and ear canal for KEMAR. It is made of soft silicone, 35 Shore OO hardness.

The external shape of the pinna is identical to that of the standardized KEMAR pinna, but concha and canal have been modified so that they closely mimic the properties of a real human ear. The ear canal has been extended and is an integral part of the pinna that now seals directly against the ear simulator. Like the human ear, the ear canal now has the 1st and 2nd bend, and the interface with the concha is oval.

This shape makes it possible to achieve good insertion accuracy and sealing with anatomically shaped in-ear transducers such as ear-bud headphones, in-ear hearing protectors, and insert hearing aids. Controlling the insertion depth is easy, leading to better insertion consistency and improved repeatability of measurements. The better fit and seal also means that the low frequency response is improved. It will allow you to reproduce base response, as well as effectively measure (active & passive) attenuation.

The outer pinna has the same shape as the standardized pinna, but the flexibility has been improved to better mimic the way the human ear collapses when supra-aural and circum-aural earphones are mounted. When measuring the frequency response of these types of headphones, more reliable and repeatable measurements can be achieved because of the improved collapsibility of the pinna.

The pinna is screwed onto the ear simulator which in turn is fixed with screws that ensure that the pinna is held firmly in place. Therefore, the mounting is very stable, and it is possible to mount and dismount DUTs repeatedly without compromising the seal.
I always think the inner diameter of the coupler is too wide so the results don't really represent that well of what we hear. Anyway I may get a Chinese copy one day.

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #73,248 of 75,272
Yea I considered getting ahis KB501X but decided to go the really cheap way. Mine is actually a silicone ear for display and there's one for earpicking practice (lol) so that one is more realistic but not suitable for the coupler. I actually just listened to a bud with the frequency sweep tool and the dips and peaks matched really well with the measurements somehow. How did you mount the cheap ear to the coupler I wonder? And do you measure with foams?

I always think the inner diameter of the coupler is too wide so the results don't really represent that well of what we hear. Anyway I may get a Chinese copy one day.
I punched a circular hole for the ear canal like you did. On the back of the ear I cut out a circular trench to slide the IEM coupler into the cut out "trench". I could get some (not accurate) measurements with it, but it wasn't stable and would fall off sometimes. Anyway, it was a mess, then I decided to just skip all the experimenting and just buy a good ear and never worry about it again.

Edit: I measure with and without foams, but mainly with the foams on because I use foams on earbuds.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #73,249 of 75,272
Finished my first build. I used the 32 ohm n52 drivers. For tuning I used a horseshoe foam on the shell and drilled a pin sized hole near the back of the shell to compensate for the mmcx mod.
IMG_20231212_103617456.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #73,250 of 75,272
Finished my first build. I used the 32 ohm n52 drivers. For tuning I used a horseshoe foam on the shell and drilled a pin sized hole near the back of the shell to compensate for the mmcx mod.
IMG_20231212_103617456.jpg
Those earbuds look very well made. nice idea to add a vent to compensate for the mmcx mod.👍btw, your mouse/desk pad looks very cute I like it lol.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #73,251 of 75,272
Hello earbud community

I am looking for an earbud to listen to audio books. It should be as flat as possible so that I can lie comfortably on the sofa. The DAC/amp will be the Woo Audio Tube mini, so it needs to have a relatively high resistance. Can you recommend something with smooth mids in the range up to 500?

Greetings
Roger

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #73,255 of 75,272
Hello earbud community

I am looking for an earbud to listen to audio books. It should be as flat as possible so that I can lie comfortably on the sofa. The DAC/amp will be the Woo Audio Tube mini, so it needs to have a relatively high resistance. Can you recommend something with smooth mids in the range up to 500?

Greetings
Roger
$500 for an earphone for audio books only?

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #73,257 of 75,272
Hello earbud community

Greetings
Roger
$5 for the earbud and $495 for the sofa! Enjoy :) You'll be in audio book heaven.

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #73,258 of 75,272
What's 'the' $5 bud to have right now? I was one of the first to own the original Monk and Hi-Z. Or are these still best at this price?
I've been using the nicehck traceless with c type connection. $4. Got it for easy phone use.

Dec 16, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #73,259 of 75,272
Dec 16, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #73,260 of 75,272
Hello earbud community

Greetings
Roger
I would take the TRN EMX, its not expensive and I find it much better then TRN EMA, NiceHCK EB2S and JBL Tune 205.
While the last one, the JBL Tune 205 is very comfortable, maybe it's a good option for listening to audio books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back