Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 12, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #73,216 of 75,857
Just showing here it's actually not difficult to achieve similar FR as any buds in the market and understand how the RW-3000 is tuned:
1702433901921.png

Cyna - ST10s, Orange - RW3000, Red - Any DIY buds.
Note: foam does not increase bass quantity.

ST10s is still more technical (but more peaky) than all other buds I have, being more 3D sounding and precise perhaps due to the back cavity but with compromised versatility. I just wish there are more shells in the market for DIY.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #73,217 of 75,857
I'm back again, my bell lbbs seems to be dying now, with the right side having 40% less volume than the left. I'm fixing it with software but I feel like it is going to kick the bucket eventually. These chinese earbuds never last.

Any good earbuds out?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #73,218 of 75,857
I'm back again, my bell lbbs seems to be dying now, with the right side having 40% less volume than the left. I'm fixing it with software but I feel like it is going to kick the bucket eventually. These chinese earbuds never last.

Any good earbuds out?
I’ve been generally satisfied with the Yincrow RW300 and FiiO FF5.

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #73,219 of 75,857
Got a bunch of stuff in, the short summary after trying them all back to back:
7hz X Crinacle Zero thin male vocals, not as good as the others
7hz X Crinacle Zero 2: Excellent vocals and treble, bass is less resolving than the Nuo
ZiiGaat NUO: Best, most detailed bass I've heard in an IEM, male vocals can be a little hot but not shouty.
Truthear Zero Blue: Terrific all around, vocals, piano, violin all great but not as resolving as the Zero 2
Moondrop Chu 2: Female vocals have less presence, least resolving, but much more fun for gaming than expected. Good all around except less impact for vocals. Casual listening fun.

Nuo best for EDM and Hip Hop by a mile.
Zero 2: Hands down the best if lower bass detail not your deal breaker.
Truthear Zero Blue: All around performance, can't go wrong.

Out of all of them, I'm keeping the 7hz X Crinacle Zero: 2 I don't have that many bass heavy songs, and everything else sounds so good, more resolving than the Zero blue. Going to keep the Ziigaat also, the bass blows everything away with quality, and just the right quantity/slam. I wish all headphones and IEMs had bass this good.

PXL_20231212_182021152.jpg

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #73,220 of 75,857
Got a bunch of stuff in, the short summary after trying them all back to back:
7hz X Crinacle Zero thin male vocals, not as good as the others
7hz X Crinacle Zero 2: Excellent vocals and treble, bass is less resolving than the Nuo
ZiiGaat NUO: Best, most detailed bass I've heard in an IEM, male vocals can be a little hot but not shouty.
Truthear Zero Blue: Terrific all around, vocals, piano, violin all great but not as resolving as the Zero 2
Moondrop Chu 2: Female vocals have less presence, least resolving, but much more fun for gaming than expected. Good all around except less impact for vocals. Casual listening fun.

Nuo best for EDM and Hip Hop by a mile.
Zero 2: Hands down the best if lower bass detail not your deal breaker.
Truthear Zero Blue: All around performance, can't go wrong.

Out of all of them, I'm keeping the 7hz X Crinacle Zero: 2 I don't have that many bass heavy songs, and everything else sounds so good, more resolving than the Zero blue. Going to keep the Ziigaat also, the bass blows everything away with quality, and just the right quantity/slam. I wish all headphones and IEMs had bass this good.

PXL_20231212_182021152.jpg
Congratulates, and what about flathead earbuds we all are discussing here?

Dec 13, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #73,221 of 75,857
First night soldering was just a no go. Solder wasn't sticking to anything. Today I watched a bunch of videos and got some tips (importance of cleaning the tip, how to use your flux properly, how to use the wick).

Tonight was going a lot better. Got solid connections to both my mmcx connectors. However, there was a solder blob on the outside of the connector and it wasn't screwing in easily. I tried to force it...

1000006233.jpg

I'll get a new shell and give it another try. I feel like I have a handle for the types of problems that come up, so next time will go well. Yes.

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #73,222 of 75,857
First night soldering was just a no go. Solder wasn't sticking to anything. Today I watched a bunch of videos and got some tips (importance of cleaning the tip, how to use your flux properly, how to use the wick).

Tonight was going a lot better. Got solid connections to both my mmcx connectors. However, there was a solder blob on the outside of the connector and it wasn't screwing in easily. I tried to force it...

I'll get a new shell and give it another try. I feel like I have a handle for the types of problems that come up, so next time will go well. Yes.
I've gotten a small solder blob at the very top of the connector threads before and it wouldn't even screw in. I used a small file to file down the blob and a razor knife to clean out as much solder in the thread as I could, then the connector screwed in. Next try will be successful.

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #73,223 of 75,857

The wick is like a last resort as you will more likely damage the mmcx connector by the excessive heat if you don't know the temperature of the tip, usually much lower than you think and then you just keep making contact with the connector and it will eventually overheat. I usually keep the contact time within about 0.5 second. You should try using a pair of small pliers to cut away the solder. The tip of the iron head you use has a rather hard to predict temperature and it is much easier to use a 2C or 3C iron head.
1702477715240.png

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #73,224 of 75,857
Just showing here it's actually not difficult to achieve similar FR as any buds in the market and understand how the RW-3000 is tuned:

Cyna - ST10s, Orange - RW3000, Red - Any DIY buds.
Note: foam does not increase bass quantity.

ST10s is still more technical (but more peaky) than all other buds I have, being more 3D sounding and precise perhaps due to the back cavity but with compromised versatility. I just wish there are more shells in the market for DIY.
I am definitely no expert at measuring earbuds or any other headgear, but I think you have some weird peaks and dips in your measurements. For comparison, here's my measurement of the FF5 and RW3000.

1702478225189.png

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #73,225 of 75,857
I am definitely no expert at measuring earbuds or any other headgear, but I think you have some weird peaks and dips in your measurements. For comparison, here's my measurement of the FF5 and RW3000.

I checked the weired peaks and dips with a function generator with my ears from 20-20khz and I heard them but at shifted frequencies. I think your graphs probably look a bit smooth to me. Anyway they're not as useful as IEM graphs (thou, IEM graphs are just more consistant but not that useful).

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #73,226 of 75,857
I checked the weired peaks and dips with a function generator with my ears from 20-20khz and I heard them but at shifted frequencies. I think your graphs probably look a bit smooth to me. Anyway they're not as useful as IEM graphs (thou, IEM graphs are just more consistant but not that useful).
They aren't the raw measurement, used 1/24 smoothing in REW. That seems to be the smoothing many people use for measurements that I've seen posted.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #73,227 of 75,857
Dec 13, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #73,228 of 75,857
Hey I just got my pair of Smabat S1 and there seems to be a problem with the Bluetooth pairing. When I try to pair them to my phone or Mac, I can see two smabat-S1 devices available, one for each earbud. When I connect to one, I only hear from that one and the other is still waiting to pair. Tried every combination of presses I could think of to make them reset but to no avail. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Dec 13, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #73,229 of 75,857
Hey, I've lurked around here for a while, but only just now set up an account. As information on flathead earbuds is not as easy to come by as info on IEMs, I was hoping to ask a few questions here since it seems like people here would be the ones to know this stuff.

1. I noticed a company/person called Fengru making copies of (presumably) discontinued Qigom products, namely the white lotus and black lotus. Are these as good as the originals? If so, are they still worth getting compared to modern competition?

2. Is there a significant difference in sound between the different price brackets? Like, if you blind tested a good $20, $40, $60, and $80 set could you easily tell the difference between them?

3. Are the big name products like the Fiio FF3 or the Dunu Alpha 3 worth the price, or would I be better off ordering from someone like Rikubuds?

Sorry if this is annoying or a bit to much, but like I said, this info is not as easy to find as people talking about IEMs or headphones. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Dec 13, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #73,230 of 75,857
Hey, I've lurked around here for a while, but only just now set up an account. As information on flathead earbuds is not as easy to come by as info on IEMs, I was hoping to ask a few questions here since it seems like people here would be the ones to know this stuff.
Welcome 😄
1. I noticed a company/person called Fengru making copies of (presumably) discontinued Qigom products, namely the white lotus and black lotus. Are these as good as the originals? If so, are they still worth getting compared to modern competition?
They're probably the same, or they're using similar drivers as the originals, but they don't sound good to me.
2. Is there a significant difference in sound between the different price brackets? Like, if you blind tested a good $20, $40, $60, and $80 set could you easily tell the difference between them?
Yeah, mostly in tuning and technicalities, but price is very subjective because there are DIY makers that can make good-sounding earbuds that can compete with pricier ones for less.
3. Are the big name products like the Fiio FF3 or the Dunu Alpha 3 worth the price, or would I be better off ordering from someone like Rikubuds?
The Fiio FF3 Imho is worth the price, but it depends on you if you feel like going for DIY, artisan-made ones. One advantage is that you can choose your own tuning.
Sorry if this is annoying or a bit to much, but like I said, this info is not as easy to find as people talking about IEMs or headphones. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
It's fine.👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back