Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 22, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #72,046 of 75,250
FF5 is clean and detailed. It focuses more on mids and treble. The bass is clean but de-emphasized. To me it is an intimate sounding earbud, and I think the lack of instrument separation is its biggest weakness. That said, I like it the best of the 3 personally for its tuning.
Which model would you say does separation very well?

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #72,047 of 75,250
Bad news for flatheads in JP.

I was in e-earphones store yesterday. They used to have 12 or so flatheads on display, but they reduced the section to 5 only. 3 of which were the Chaconne (the other 2 were the FF5, and the ATH-CM2000ti).
Worthy selection still.
The E1008 buds have some good comments in this thread. I like unique older buds, so I’d love to get them if I had a source. Maybe if your store has a couple sets for sale we could work something out. Let me know if that is possible. Maybe move this to PM…?
Selling my e1008 (aurvana air & ebx21 for sale, too). Pm if interested.

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #72,048 of 75,250
Oct 22, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #72,049 of 75,250
I am going for the ff5. I guess 3 years is long in the headphone/IEM/earbud market 😊

Oct 22, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #72,050 of 75,250
The EM5 always sounded fairly muddy to me, with a bass emphasis that's too loud and too high in frequency. The mids and treble are good, but masked by the mess in the bass. The build quality is good, though, with comfortable shells and a nice cable.

At the time, I thought it would be nice to see some of the R&D from the EM5 trickle down into newer models with some tweaks and improvements. I believe that's what happened with the FF3 and FF5 and I would choose either of them over the EM5.

Oct 22, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #72,051 of 75,250
The EM5 always sounded fairly muddy to me, with a bass emphasis that's too loud and too high in frequency. The mids and treble are good, but masked by the mess in the bass. The build quality is good, though, with comfortable shells and a nice cable.

At the time, I thought it would be nice to see some of the R&D from the EM5 trickle down into newer models with some tweaks and improvements. I believe that's what happened with the FF3 and FF5 and I would choose either of them over the EM5.
Your comment makes me confident I made the right choice by ordering the ff5.
Thanks😊

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #72,052 of 75,250
Hi,

Where to go?

Ok, few words before... My ears forced me to leave IEM world, and after some research I'm here - probably a couple of month use flathead earbuds.

That old IEM world gave me some knowledge about my ears: I don't like Harman hill (as well 1/3-1/4 of music listeners do). I mean +10-12db rise somewehre around 2-4 KHz. +5-6db is acceptable.

Also I'm not a basshead, but prefer subbass presence as far as listen to very different genres (classical from solo violin to symphonies, jazz of 50-60, electronic music from Steyoyoke and around...).

Now, few words about my first impressions from flathead buds I have got during these months.

Ksearphone DB1. Just a magic. Not sure but will try to explain (English isn't my native language, but you definitely already noticed this fact).

So, when we perceive audio or visual stream, tremendous part of information recognition takes place unconsciously: we don't try to understand black symbols on white paper, but we see words, we don't try to analyze individual phonemes, we hear words, we aren't able to analyze the extra-complicated sequence of sounds, we just listen to sax phrase...

Those unconscious brain subprocessors demands energy. With DB1 the energy is minimal. It is very easy to accept music. Yes, this word is used very often, but really - natural.

I guess the reason is an absence of steep peaks/dips on the buds' FR. Just a speculation. That is overall FR is even.

I don't understand common terms used during audio discussions. Say, "separation" and "resolution". The first seems to be a special case of the last. In turn, resolution can be supplied by, say, timbres exaggeration and by low distortions (any combination of these two).

Returning to even FR. On reviews we read about male or female voices, guitars and so on - you know. But real evenness can be checked with something more complicated, I think. For me symphonies listening is a king to understand how an audio chain is good for me.

And this king test results in king buds, DB1.

Overall tonality: some subbass lack (but subbass presents, and it is easy listenable). The only drawback.

Yincrow RW-3000. Taking into account my relationships with Harman hill these buds result in fatiguing, in unnatural - yes, symphonies - listening. It is sad, as far as I know many music lovers like the buds. Unfortunately, I'm out of the boat. While having expected tonality at low part of FR, the HF part contains some sufficiently not-even to be noticed peak. I guess around 5KHz.

About (sub)bass. My ears are used to the perfect bass: significant part of music listening takes place with "loud" audio chain (that is with DAC, amp, loudspeakers). LF section of loudspeakers is a sealed box having volume 200l (and 18" woofer). The main advantage is low-steepness of bass level reducing on moving to lower frequency. And this is the reason why the whole audio frequency range sounds as a single source.

Any attempts to cheat the laws of physics (vented boxes and so on) result in "separation" of subbass range from the remaining part: (sub)bass sounds as "another source", "another way"... Well, you know.

If I'm not wrong, flathead buds also contain some acoustics tricks to rise LF. The aim is achieved, but that source separation is audible. RW-3000, as well the next buds I will mention below, has got more bass (in comparison with DB1), and it is separated bass. You see? Of course, degree of the separation varies from buds to buds.

Yincorw RW-2000. Overall tonality is close to be ideal for me. I don't hear steep unevenness, bass quantity is sufficient (but it's separation results in lost magic which DB1 buds have). Great buds. Ordered the second pair (are not as costly for me as DB1 or RW-3000).

FiiO FF5. Very comfortable, cozy buds. Bass becomes blurred with normal density foams. So, for my ears low density foams are most suitable for FF5. Another problem - frequency range around LF and mids border (say, 150-250Hz - speculation) is elevated. It is possible to adapt ears to this FiiO manner during a day or two (the same takes place with some FiiO IEMs) having FF5 as the only buds pair. But when you switch between many buds (and loudspeakers), this detail... well, disturbs a little.

Yincrow Calf. In fact for it's price very, very good pair. Yes, orchestral tutti isn't as clean as with senior brothers. Tonality is also almost even for my ears (sometimes some metallic taste is noticed (probably, 5-6KHz - speculation also), but it isn't often case.

So, where to go?

P.S. My ears and preferences are beyond average majority, please, don't use above impressions for decisions. Also, don't forget I'm absolute neophyte with flathead earbuds.

Later addition. I'm happy with moving from IEMs to flathead (live - classical and jazz - music takes about 2/3 of my listening).

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #72,055 of 75,250
Damn , I saw 2 earbuds I wanted but both sold 😅😅
I wonder who's the lucky buyer. I saw the posts at 2 views but sold already by then :sweat:

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #72,057 of 75,250
Not sure if I should disclose that or not lol... I'll let the buyer chime in if they'd like to be known.
I'm sure it went to an earbud lover. If they're reading this, please keep me in mind for it 10 years down the line 😂

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #72,058 of 75,250
So, where to go?

P.S. My ears and preferences are beyond average majority, please, don't use above impressions for decisions. Also, don't forget I'm absolute neophyte with flathead earbuds.
The FF3 with the crisp, or no foams at all, may be a logical choice to try...

Oct 22, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #72,059 of 75,250
I have all 3 of them, so I can at least talk about my experience with them.

I like the EM5 the least out of the 3. Something in the tuning irritates my ears, and the shape makes them hard to fit.

The FF3 is bassy. To me it gives an authoritative presentation. Overall tuning I think appeals to a broader range of people. Several people on this thread have remarked that it has a 'special something' that makes it the standout in the FiiO's earbud lineup.

FF5 is clean and detailed. It focuses more on mids and treble. The bass is clean but de-emphasized. To me it is an intimate sounding earbud, and I think the lack of instrument separation is its biggest weakness. That said, I like it the best of the 3 personally for its tuning.

To sum up. If you like thumpy, go for the FF3, otherwise FF5. I think classic rock would sound better on FF3, but a lot of pop songs will sound better on FF5.
I agree with this assessment. I also have all 3 models.

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #72,060 of 75,250
Hi,

Where to go?

Ok, few words before... My ears forced me to leave IEM world, and after some research I'm here - probably a couple of month use flathead earbuds.

That old IEM world gave me some knowledge about my ears: I don't like Harman hill (as well 1/3-1/4 of music listeners do). I mean +10-12db rise somewehre around 2-4 KHz. +5-6db is acceptable.

Also I'm not a basshead, but prefer subbass presence as far as listen to very different genres (classical from solo violin to symphonies, jazz of 50-60, electronic music from Steyoyoke and around...).

Now, few words about my first impressions from flathead buds I have got during these months.

Ksearphone DB1. Just a magic. Not sure but will try to explain (English isn't my native language, but you definitely already noticed this fact).

So, when we perceive audio or visual stream, tremendous part of information recognition takes place unconsciously: we don't try to understand black symbols on white paper, but we see words, we don't try to analyze individual phonemes, we hear words, we aren't able to analyze the extra-complicated sequence of sounds, we just listen to sax phrase...

Those unconscious brain subprocessors demands energy. With DB1 the energy is minimal. It is very easy to accept music. Yes, this word is used very often, but really - natural.

I guess the reason is an absence of steep peaks/dips on the buds' FR. Just a speculation. That is overall FR is even.

I don't understand common terms used during audio discussions. Say, "separation" and "resolution". The first seems to be a special case of the last. In turn, resolution can be supplied by, say, timbres exaggeration and by low distortions (any combination of these two).

Returning to even FR. On reviews we read about male or female voices, guitars and so on - you know. But real evenness can be checked with something more complicated, I think. For me symphonies listening is a king to understand how an audio chain is good for me.

And this king test results in king buds, DB1.

Overall tonality: some subbass lack (but subbass presents, and it is easy listenable). The only drawback.

Yincrow RW-3000. Taking into account my relationships with Harman hill these buds result in fatiguing, in unnatural - yes, symphonies - listening. It is sad, as far as I know many music lovers like the buds. Unfortunately, I'm out of the boat. While having expected tonality at low part of FR, the HF part contains some sufficiently not-even to be noticed peak. I guess around 5KHz.

About (sub)bass. My ears are used to the perfect bass: significant part of music listening takes place with "loud" audio chain (that is with DAC, amp, loudspeakers). LF section of loudspeakers is a sealed box having volume 200l (and 18" woofer). The main advantage is low-steepness of bass level reducing on moving to lower frequency. And this is the reason why the whole audio frequency range sounds as a single source.

Any attempts to cheat the laws of physics (vented boxes and so on) result in "separation" of subbass range from the remaining part: (sub)bass sounds as "another source", "another way"... Well, you know.

If I'm not wrong, flathead buds also contain some acoustics tricks to rise LF. The aim is achieved, but that source separation is audible. RW-3000, as well the next buds I will mention below, has got more bass (in comparison with DB1), and it is separated bass. You see? Of course, degree of the separation varies from buds to buds.

Yincorw RW-2000. Overall tonality is close to be ideal for me. I don't hear steep unevenness, bass quantity is sufficient (but it's separation results in lost magic which DB1 buds have). Great buds. Ordered the second pair (are not as costly for me as DB1 or RW-3000).

FiiO FF5. Very comfortable, cozy buds. Bass becomes blurred with normal density foams. So, for my ears low density foams are most suitable for FF5. Another problem - frequency range around LF and mids border (say, 150-250Hz - speculation) is elevated. It is possible to adapt ears to this FiiO manner during a day or two (the same takes place with some FiiO IEMs) having FF5 as the only buds pair. But when you switch between many buds (and loudspeakers), this detail... well, disturbs a little.

Yincrow Calf. In fact for it's price very, very good pair. Yes, orchestral tutti isn't as clean as with senior brothers. Tonality is also almost even for my ears (sometimes some metallic taste is noticed (probably, 5-6KHz - speculation also), but it isn't often case.

So, where to go?

If you found magic with K's (Temperament) DB1 and Yincrow RW-2000 is your 2nd best selection, then you can be happy for a long time, or at least until you get GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back