Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 2, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #71,821 of 75,492
👍...

811f31fabb1231f5aadb133227ccd63053600c74_2_1332x1000.jpeg

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #71,822 of 75,492
Oct 2, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #71,824 of 75,492
Oct 2, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #71,826 of 75,492
Is it just me, or are the stock earbuds from the iPod Shuffles at least semi-competent?

image-of-ipod-shuffle-against-plain-background-CC331C.jpg

I'm currently cleaning house, and found a 4th gen Shuffle as pictured above, but in red, and with its included earbuds.

I'm listening to this setup at the moment. The fit is a bit on the poor side for me stock; I need either O-rings or foam covers to make the buds stay in. But the sound? I like it. Maybe I just appreciate it a lot more now.

These aren't as resolving as my FF5. The cymbals seem to sound like 112kbps MP3 cymbals. But the general sound is overall pleasant.
I find what you have described also to be true of the 2nd gen classics. Not the best in the world, but certainly not horrible either. :)
Nothing beats an earbud for passive listening while working. I find it almost impossible to concentrate while using an IEM. The isolation and the immediacy of the sound really distract me.
Same here. Good call!

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #71,827 of 75,492
Can’t wait to hear impressions! Waiting on my Susvara
I had the time to try them briefly and they have a grand-sounding. Susvara and Caldera have different tonality. The timbre and coherence are excellent. The cables are a bit stiff and microphonic but the sound is completely different from other earbuds I own but in a good way.

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #71,829 of 75,492
I'm looking for an earbud (warmer tuning) with a smallish shell, do you guys have any recommendations for me? I'm a bit lost in the world of earbuds..
What's your budget?

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #71,830 of 75,492
What's your budget?
Riku reached out to me, so i'll be trying the saber 3.
They seem like a good fit.

Budget is theoretically uncapped, from what i've gathered sourcing buds from outside of europe might be more of an issue.
TGX buds look good but they all have that large mx500 shell.

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #71,832 of 75,492
Riku reached out to me, so i'll be trying the saber 3.
They seem like a good fit.

Budget is theoretically uncapped, from what i've gathered sourcing buds from outside of europe might be more of an issue.
TGX buds look good but they all have that large mx500 shell.
I was gonna recommend Rikubuds 😎

Oct 2, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #71,833 of 75,492
Hi. Has anybody a chance for direct comparison of K's DB1 and Bell-LBs?
From my post on May 10, 2023:

After about a week of listening to the Temperament DB1, here's my impressions. I've been wearing them with the provided full foams and over ear hook style instead of cable hanging down. It was already reported by @omerad (in post 68,697) that they sounded better when worn over ear versus cable down and I can confirm that. The bass and lower midrange presence is much better when worn over ear. In contrast, the sound appears to lose some of the nice bass, lower midrange timbre when worn cable down. I guess the sound difference might be useful for different types of music or to suit your musical mood.

My first general impression is that they have a balanced warmish sound with some boost in the midrange. I can't really put my finger on it, but the midrange has this sort of transparency that draws you in, like you're not wearing any buds. We'll have to wait for @JAnonymous5150's impressions to see if he's hearing the same sort of thing.

The low end is very good. While not in your face, the bass / upper bass have this nice body filling timbre which I like. Going to the opposite extreme, the treble is smooth, yet detailed. Definitely not lacking in resolution or having treble roll off.

The only comparison I'll make is with K's LBBS buds. If you have the LBBS, then expect a somewhat similar K's family sound signature with enhanced low end. I don't think you can just EQ the LBBS to sound like the DB1 though.

Would I recommend the Temperament DB1? I would. If you already have the K's LBBS and like how they sound, then the DB1 is in the same wheelhouse and definitely a step up in performance.

The burning question is how do they compare to the lower cost DB1e? We'll have to wait for @JAnonymous5150's DB1 vs DB1e comparison.

EDIT #2: Per a description I found on AE, both of them have similar sound styles and are classic tunings, and db1 has a better extension of density sound field information at both ends. We'll have to wait for JA's comparison to confirm that claim.

EDIT #1: Did some internet searching and found this DB1 FR graph and translated information which describes the internal structure of the shell which enhances the low and intermediate frequencies. So rather than a midrange boost as described above, it looks like the internal shell structure helps with midrange transparency.

Temperament_db1_FR_Graph.jpg

DB1_design.jpg

From my post on May 13, 2023:

The price difference between LBB and DB1 is 7 times. Is the improvement worth the difference?

Friends! What do you recommend: as close as possible in sound to LBBs, but with a replaceable cable, in the same budget (30-50$)?
The LBBs are a great low cost starter bud from K's. Their sound is very satifiying, yet there is room for improvement. We know that small improvements in sound quality usually increase the cost, sometimes substantially. Let's get some perspective. Average cost of LBBs are $30-50. K's next lowest priced "Bell" product, Bell-We is $170, Bell-Blue is $330, Bell-Ti is $460 and finally their very TOTL Bell-Ti Plus is a whopping $670. For people looking for the Nth degree in sound quality, it may be worth it to them to pay $670 for a set of the TOTL Bell-Ti Plus. People do spend large sums of money looking for the absolute best, whether it is sound, a faster car, high end watches, etc.

Anyway, K's (Temperament) has recently come out with a new mid-tier flat head earbud at two price points. DB1e is $90-99 and DB1 is $230-240. I can only say that I own a set of the low cost LBBs and now the DB1. I can say that the DB1 have the K's sound signature that is somewhat similar to the LBBs with better bass and midrange. The question of whether it's worth it to me is already answered. I think everyone needs to determine for themselves the worth and if they are willing to part with their hard earned money.

Oct 2, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #71,834 of 75,492
The drivers used by Herry in the Susvara and Caldera are fast. I was told to not place the earbuds face each other in short range since it could damage the membrane of the driver.

The bass rumbles! It's just amazing for a pair of earbuds. The Susvara has better sub-bass, while the Caldera mid-bass. Resolution is excellent with accurate imaging. They have a slightly different tonality. The Susvara is more neutral. The Caldera is warmer but still have that sense of speed. Guitars and drums sound great. Susvara also sounds good. It is wonderful with Max Richter or Hans Zimmer.

I need more time with the Dragons. They still require burn-in to open the sound of the drivers and for the cryo cable to work at full potential. I just wish the cables were lighter and without microphnics but you can't have it all. Fantastic experience so far.

1000012035.jpg

1000012037.jpg

1000012036.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #71,835 of 75,492
Hi. Have you advice for me about a cable with L-plug 3.5 (right angle)? I have found this https://aliexpress.ru/item/32956212644.html cable having great balance between stiffness and softness (and adequate price), but they all have got direct jack.
I am also looking for a nice cable with a right angle plug and no ear hooks for my earbuds. You might try messaging the store and asking if they can provide you with the right-angle connector instead. Please let me know if you find any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back