Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 3, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #71,581 of 75,864
I thought about that. However when the stem is up, doesn’t it mess with imaging and planning?
Yeah, so you have to just try it out for your own ear shape. As others have pointed out, ear shapes are all different, hearing is different, music preferences and sound signatures are very individual. For me, stem up and cable over ear sounds great because it holds the bud in nearly optimal position (for my ears). I get better imaging and details that way. But check it out and see... Let us know what you experience!

Sep 3, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #71,582 of 75,864
This helps a ton! I’ll try it tomorrow when my ear is less raw lol.
@WoodyLuvr I just got home and tried this with my Dunu Alpha 3. It worked wonders. Thank you!

Sep 3, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #71,583 of 75,864
Keep in mind that some people have such a shape with their ears that none of them will fit. My wife's ears are shaped in such a way that there is no "shelf" formed between the concha and tragus/antitragus because they are basically touching. In other words, there is just no place to put the buds without having to constantly hold them. She would only be able to listen to earbuds using some over the ear hook of some sort, and even then they would never stay steady enough to get a consistent sound.

But, no you are not wrong, they are supposed to sit close, but not inside your ear canal. One thing that makes earbuds different from other head gear is that they are basically like a speaker (on a steeek - Jeff Dunham :wink:) that just sits close to your ear canal, but uses your actual ear shape for acoustical properties. This is why earbuds can sound even more different to varying people than even IEMs and headphones do.

Thank you kindly. I do hope so also as I really do want to like these.

Oh, don't sweat it bro. I'm a big boy and can say no if I so desire......

OK that is pure BS! I am like a racoon that just can't stay away from anything shiny (hence my "congrats on new shiny" saying)... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Looking into the B&O A8, while they look very cool, I have read that they were very uncomfortable for whatever reason. But, I would still like to check them out. I am a bit like you and perk up a bit when I see some vintage head gear.

I had these a WHILE ago. They looked really cool (exactly why I got them), and I can understand why some people calling them uncomfortable. 1. Driver / shell on the larger side. 2. Hooks not exactly flexible as you imagined, takes extra seconds to get fit ( I thought about snapping hooks off the Air, seriously lol) . 3. Wires not super manageable either. I do remember they had clearly sound. Not bass prominent, and I was like ' Hum.. I get why they're better than other budget earbuds. Details not bad. ' then didn't end up keeping them as daily buds.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #71,584 of 75,864
Here's a couple posts about flathead earbuds that can be useful in your pursuit of earbud nirvana. Actually there's tons of useful information sprinkled throughout this very long thread which could be collated into an "earbuds book" of sorts.

Flathead Earbud Shell Types
All About Flathead Earbud Cushions
I finally got around to those links. Unfortunately, both send me to the cushions thread. Can you supply the shell type link again?

Sep 3, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #71,585 of 75,864
I got my Newb Sound Rocket in a few days ago, and they're great! Plenty of bass, smooth treble and good imaging. And he's great about customer service. Highly recommended!
Oh man, Newbsound is amazing. The Newb50 and Jester are already mind-blowing, and best in twice of their price category. Rocket is incoming as well, I'm waiting in anticipation of how it will turn out to be!!

Sep 3, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #71,586 of 75,864
Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #71,587 of 75,864
Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #71,588 of 75,864
Output power:
Battery Mode (Portable Mode):

Balanced:
3000mw (16Ω)
2100mw (32Ω)
1100mw (100Ω)
450mw (300Ω)

Single-Ended:
1200mw (16Ω)
700mw (32Ω)
440mw (100Ω)
200mw (300Ω)

Desktop Mode:

Balanced :
4900mw (16Ω)
3200mw (32Ω)
2000mw (100Ω)
990mw (300Ω)

Single-Ended :
1980mw (16Ω)
1400mw (32Ω)
900mw (100Ω)
480mw (300Ω)

Kaei literature says the amp will drive 600Ω headphones no problem, just their output specs do not list output for 600Ω.
The tubes do not glow. What you see in the pictures is the tubes with very small yellow backlight LEDs. When the tubes are bypassed the LEDs turn off.

Thank you very much, it looks spectacular and reasonably portable, what is the noise floor like on this set?

Sep 4, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #71,590 of 75,864
Do we have any full impression of FIIO FF1 yet? I read somewhere that it sounds similar to Yincrow X6. I already have X6 and I like it.
I'd have guessed so
it seems to be somewhat inconsistent, I'm guessing due to one of the vents being at the bottom of the shell and being blocked it turns it from mud to shout death

Sep 4, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #71,591 of 75,864
Well, I don't feel capable of writing a full impression, but here is a short one:

To start with: much to my disappointment, the 2-pin cable standard, which FF1 was supposed to have, turns out to be slightly modified, so that you can’t really use any other 2-pin cable than the one provided in the package.
Goodbye, 4.4 BAL…
The socket has an oval shape with some tiny row in it, meanwhile all my aftermarket 2-pin cables feature a rectangle nub. No way to fit it.

Overall build quality is poor. I expected much more after seeing FF3 and FF5.

Sound quality is okay, though not spectacular.
The tuning feels natural, maybe slightly warmish. Bass can be felt, but it's well controlled and rather punchy. Doesn't bleed into mids. I can’t hear any noticeable / strange dips or highs in the spectrum - everything sounds natural and sits, where it's supposed to in the mix.
Soundstage and stereo imaging could be slightly better. It didn't amaze me.

I feel like FAEEAL Rosemary offers a better price/performance ratio and features better ergonomics - the cable is sturdier, the jacks are angled (which is great for DAPs, not so much for desktop amps) and the sound is a little bit more engaging, with better holography.

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #71,592 of 75,864
Well, I don't feel capable of writing a full impression, but here is a short one:

To start with: much to my disappointment, the 2-pin cable standard, which FF1 was supposed to have, turns out to be slightly modified, so that you can’t really use any other 2-pin cable than the one provided in the package.
Goodbye, 4.4 BAL…
The socket has an oval shape with some tiny row in it, meanwhile all my aftermarket 2-pin cables feature a rectangle nub. No way to fit it.

Overall build quality is poor. I expected much more after seeing FF3 and FF5.

Sound quality is okay, though not spectacular.
The tuning feels natural, maybe slightly warmish. Bass can be felt, but it's well controlled and rather punchy. Doesn't bleed into mids. I can’t hear any noticeable / strange dips or highs in the spectrum - everything sounds natural and sits, where it's supposed to in the mix.
Soundstage and stereo imaging could be slightly better. It didn't amaze me.

I feel like FAEEAL Rosemary offers a better price/performance ratio and features better ergonomics - the cable is sturdier, the jacks are angled (which is great for DAPs, not so much for desktop amps) and the sound is a little bit more engaging, with better holography.
I absolutely agree with what you wrote in your observation. I would only add that for me the FF1's lack any sparkle in the treble section and their sonic expression is so rather bland. In the price class of around 20€ I consider these earbuds average and you can certainly find much more interesting pieces. The screw up that FIIO made with the incompatible 2pin connectors makes it impossible to use a balanced cable, while I feel that it wouldn't be detrimental to the cause. For my part, the FF1s are rather disappointing.

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #71,593 of 75,864
I absolutely agree with what you wrote in your observation. I would only add that for me the FF1's lack any sparkle in the treble section and their sonic expression is so rather bland. In the price class of around 20€ I consider these earbuds average and you can certainly find much more interesting pieces. The screw up that FIIO made with the incompatible 2pin connectors makes it impossible to use a balanced cable, while I feel that it wouldn't be detrimental to the cause. For my part, the FF1s are rather disappointing.

After both FF3 and FF5, FF1 is indeed disappointing.

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #71,594 of 75,864
After both FF3 and FF5, FF1 is indeed disappointing.
They used the same plastic for the shell that they use in the kinder surprise... LOL

It lacks any type of shine, the details are testimonial. This sound would have been disappointing without FF3 and FF5 (IMO of course).

the grille vents are an exquisite decoration, there is really nothing, only at 6 o'clock

20230904_124346.jpg
20230904_124505.jpg
20230904_124548.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back