Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 24, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #70,921 of 75,671
Thanks for this. Hip hop and electronica is actually what I want these for, I’m into drum & bass genre so they need to be fast. The XCs and 4z (which I’ve heard once) both tackled my musical tastes very well which is why I brought them up. Thanks for the slight redirect maybe away from APWS and towards the SL. I walked away after my first post and kicked myself for not listing musical taste, especially since this is earbuds we’re talking about.

Zen SL is good, but I would still want more midbass for electronica / hip hop and a bit more warmth generally. Sunniva (stock) is actually fun with electronic that I've tested so maybe put that on the potentials? If you have the money to throw around, maybe the Zen SU + Defiant combo. It's a big, fun sound and offers the best macrodynamics I've heard but just doesn't have lots of subbass extension.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #70,923 of 75,671
Finding my desired tuning from experience with over-ears seems like a good way to go about choosing a higher end pair of buds that I can’t try before buying, but I think you’re commenting on the Black Dragons here mainly?
Yeah it just seems odd to put that in the official description without putting up any actual proof especially since we absolutely hear things differently depending on the position of the driver. You'll very often find that people don't like the kinds of bass shelves you get in iems and earbuds transplanted onto headphones, for example

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #70,924 of 75,671
I really don't understand how you could prove that an earbud has the same tonality as susvara or, given the difference in preferences between in-ear and over-ear earphones, why that would even be desirable
Marketing talk BS, that's what it is.

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #70,925 of 75,671
hello I am new here.
may I ask a recomendation about earbud that sound warm and lush in mid.
have really good impact and visceral bass? i think i prefer smooth high.

sorry for bad english.
budget, gonna working on it ^_^
Around $350, get the @tgx78 Sunniva. Nothing comes close to them. In its own class.

Around $150, you should get Highersound (facebook, instagram) Neptune. Brilliant bass, full and lush midrange, and decently sparkling treble as well! A master bud maker from South Korea.

Around $100, get the Apollo Gold Story (facebook - Manci Pattong). Another wonderful bud maker from Thailand. If you want only the mmcx head units, they are even cheaper!

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #70,926 of 75,671
I think this might be the first review is the Ucotech ES-P2! Unfortunately it's in Korean but maybe YouTube will have auto translated captions. I'll watch it throughout the day and post a summary if people are keen.

Tagging folks who might be interested @samandhi @JAnonymous5150 @Ace Bee

Thanks for the tag...does that mean I have been tagged as the adventurous one, seeking out uncharted territories? :wink:

That said, Jim informed me about them as I keep buying buds from South Korea (dailybuds and highersound). However, the buds I buy from them are all around $100-150. $350 got me a Sunniva from @tgx78 . And honestly I am not really sure if spending $300 on an Ucotech bud is going to be worthwhile the way it had been with Sunniva. Until and unless I can find some reviews comparing the ES-P2 with some of TGXear's buds, I do not think I will feel confident enough to blind buy them.

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #70,927 of 75,671
300ohm Blue PET - Deep bass, big soundstage and sparkling treble JJ_violeta.jpgjj_300_bluepet.jpg

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #70,931 of 75,671
Cheers for that. Zen SU and Defiant is out of my reach for sure, I’m looking for $300-$1000 probably. I might check out the Sunniva and ask VE about the zen 3.
For electronica / D&B / Fiio FF3 are great. Venture Electronics Monk Plus SPC are amazing at $20. Save yourself some disappointment with expensive buds which many really aren't suited to heavy bass driven music by virtue of design.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #70,932 of 75,671
Well the Zen SU is the first earbud to please (and thank the lord, when we consider the asking price).
That is a slamming track.

So for Zen SU + Defiant, that would be in the range of $2000 USD?

Jul 24, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #70,934 of 75,671
Frequency question.

I’ve always noticed when listening outdoors that certain aspects of songs are drowned out by external noise, and this is all the more apparent with open backs. But now I want to ask: which aspect is the last to be drowned out? Because I now want to put together playlists with songs that are more audible than others all while not risking my hearing.

Generally, sub-bass (20 - 60 Hz) is the first to be lost in a noisy environment with sound leakage. So the ears take the entire frequency spectrum as a whole, and lesser bass will be perceived to be more pronounced treble (and vice versa).

However, the ears are most sensitive to the upper midrange frequencies around 1 - 4/5 kHz. So sometimes, when in a noisy place, there is a temptation to jack up the volume to overcome the outside noise, and this upper midrange/lower treble frequency gets pushed up at louder volumes with lower isolation (Fletcher Munson curve).

So in general, I would say the upper mids/lower treble region might be the last to be drowned out (as per your query).

However, it also depends on what is causing the noise. For example if you are sitting next to a bus engine that is droning at 1 kHz consistently. Then that may block out the 1 kHz discussion we stated in the above example. It also depends on the individual's hearing health (noise induced deafness for example affects the 1, 3, 4 kHz bands).

So there are a lot of variables in play. I work in the audiometry/occupational medicine industry, and I would caution against using open backed cans and earbuds in a noisy place. There will be a tendency to jack up the volume to overcome the noise and IEMs do a better job of isolating and hence protecting hearing health. I've seen a lot of cases of youngsters blasting loud volumes for years on TWS buds and open-backed cans while commuting around, and they come in with an audiometry looking like a 70 year old's hearing (this is not reversible BTW).

Jul 25, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #70,935 of 75,671
So there are a lot of variables in play. I work in the audiometry/occupational medicine industry, and I would caution against using open backed cans and earbuds in a noisy place. There will be a tendency to jack up the volume to overcome the noise and IEMs do a better job of isolating and hence protecting hearing health. I've seen a lot of cases of youngsters blasting loud volumes for years on TWS buds and open-backed cans while commuting around, and they come in with an audiometry looking like a 70 year old's hearing (this is not reversible BTW).

This hits too close to home. This is the reason I am still in the market for an IEM that can keep up with my earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back