Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 25, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #70,936 of 75,879
Generally, sub-bass (20 - 60 Hz) is the first to be lost in a noisy environment with sound leakage. So the ears take the entire frequency spectrum as a whole, and lesser bass will be perceived to be more pronounced treble (and vice versa).

However, the ears are most sensitive to the upper midrange frequencies around 1 - 4/5 kHz. So sometimes, when in a noisy place, there is a temptation to jack up the volume to overcome the outside noise, and this upper midrange/lower treble frequency gets pushed up at louder volumes with lower isolation (Fletcher Munson curve).

So in general, I would say the upper mids/lower treble region might be the last to be drowned out (as per your query).

However, it also depends on what is causing the noise. For example if you are sitting next to a bus engine that is droning at 1 kHz consistently. Then that may block out the 1 kHz discussion we stated in the above example. It also depends on the individual's hearing health (noise induced deafness for example affects the 1, 3, 4 kHz bands).

So there are a lot of variables in play. I work in the audiometry/occupational medicine industry, and I would caution against using open backed cans and earbuds in a noisy place. There will be a tendency to jack up the volume to overcome the noise and IEMs do a better job of isolating and hence protecting hearing health. I've seen a lot of cases of youngsters blasting loud volumes for years on TWS buds and open-backed cans while commuting around, and they come in with an audiometry looking like a 70 year old's hearing (this is not reversible BTW).
Great write-up. I learned quite a bit here.

I wear AirPods Pro more often than I do open buds when I commute, but even with higher isolation and its digital processing, there are still chunks of frequencies that get drowned out when I walk alongside a major road. But I put up with it and still keep the volume on the lower side. That's why I wanted to ask this question - so that I can figure out what aspects to pick up, and then make a playlist that consists of songs in my library that are still more audible than others at low playback volume, all while being shouted down by vehicles.

Jul 25, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #70,937 of 75,879
This hits too close to home. This is the reason I am still in the market for an IEM that can keep up with my earbuds.
I looked through your signature and noticed you mentioned the FF5. Based on that, I would recommend the Etymotic ER2XR or ER4XR.

Very similar sound signature but very isolating. The drawbacks are that Ety uses a proprietary MMCX with a lock, similar to Sennheiser’s twisting 2.5mm plug, and the stock cable is very microphonic.

If you wanna learn more, look for the Etymotic thread in the IEM section.

Jul 25, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #70,938 of 75,879
I looked through your signature and noticed you mentioned the FF5. Based on that, I would recommend the Etymotic ER2XR or ER4XR.

Very similar sound signature but very isolating. The drawbacks are that Ety uses a proprietary MMCX with a lock, similar to Sennheiser’s twisting 2.5mm plug, and the stock cable is very microphonic.

If you wanna learn more, look for the Etymotic thread in the IEM section.
Thank you, I'll definitely check it out! the FF5s are a great bud, and ER2XR/4XR are available for me to demo at my local store e-earphone.

On that point, I also saw that my signature was a bit out of date and was missing my newest buds, Yincrow RW-3000. ADDED

Jul 25, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #70,939 of 75,879
I think this might be the first review is the Ucotech ES-P2! Unfortunately it's in Korean but maybe YouTube will have auto translated captions. I'll watch it throughout the day and post a summary if people are keen.

Tagging folks who might be interested @samandhi @JAnonymous5150 @Ace Bee

Thanks so much for sharing this. I am definitely interested in checking into those. I have been quietly watching for any news I can find on them. :)
I have enjoyed Tool since my early teens and saw them on their 10,000 Days and Fear Inoculum tours. The most recent show I attended was great but they did seem a little too tired to be doing global tours... Anyway, their music will always be very important to me. Whenever I get a new set, IEM or earbud, I run them through a few tracks to see if I've struck gold. I'm usually left disappointed. Tool gets very busy and needs a good stage and decent imaging, needs tight upper midrange and treble control to avoid harshness while not glossing over the grit of the guitar work. I want to feel the weight and dynamics to the rhythmic drones of Justins bass and the syncopated hits of Dannys drumming on the low end.

It's rare for an IEM to get the tonality right but they usually manage the dynamics and the weight. To get the right tonality & dynamics on an earbud has seemed like a pipe dream, so far. Well the Zen SU is the first earbud to please (and thank the lord, when we consider the asking price). Powering through the Defiant, it puts all my earbuds to shame with a large, hulking weight to the dynamic swings and a controlled upper midrange. TGXear Ripples, my reference point for macrodynamics up until this point is blown out of the water and I say this while also wanting to acknowledge with the greatest respect and gratitude what Jim is doing for the popularity of buds in the audiophile community.

It might not be news to people here but VE are far ahead of the pack and I guess that's not surprising given the resources and experience to hand.

Anyway, jamming along to 10,000 days right now and wishing everyone a happy Monday.

You had me at Tool... :)

I love everything Tool, always have, always will; and even the offshoot bands they tend to play in while waiting for their 10 year ritual in making a new album. (I know, not entirely their fault, but you know... ) :wink:

I consider Danny's syncopation and poly rhythms (in the manner to which they are applied in a song) to be industry leading and WAY more complex than one listen could ever grant you. :) And as for the rest of the band (including Danny) I simply love how they arrange their songs and vocals. It is masterful for anyone that cares to listen beyond the "simple(ness)" that it might sound like at first listen.

My favorite buds for this type of music is still the Yinmans. They are clear enough to reveal everything (AFAIK), but yet smooth enough to not be fatiguing with that lovely gritty guitar.

Pneuma from Fear Inoculum is one of my favorites for overall sound, but the drums that Danny plays on this are the star of the show (IMHO). They sound deceptively simple, but watching this video reveals how hard it really is; though he makes it look very easy. The middle (quiet) section is probably one of the most complex polyrhythms that I have seen. This is not conveyed very well just by listening to it. Not only does he have all 4 appendages moving at the same time, but they are all playing a different rhythm. Also, Danny still looks pretty buff for being in his 60's... :)

Anyhow, for those interested in seeing it (which admittedly I have probably posted here before :sunglasses:):

Frequency question.

I’ve always noticed when listening outdoors that certain aspects of songs are drowned out by external noise, and this is all the more apparent with open backs. But now I want to ask: which aspect is the last to be drowned out? Because I now want to put together playlists with songs that are more audible than others all while not risking my hearing.
Generally, sub-bass (20 - 60 Hz) is the first to be lost in a noisy environment with sound leakage. So the ears take the entire frequency spectrum as a whole, and lesser bass will be perceived to be more pronounced treble (and vice versa).

However, the ears are most sensitive to the upper midrange frequencies around 1 - 4/5 kHz. So sometimes, when in a noisy place, there is a temptation to jack up the volume to overcome the outside noise, and this upper midrange/lower treble frequency gets pushed up at louder volumes with lower isolation (Fletcher Munson curve).

So in general, I would say the upper mids/lower treble region might be the last to be drowned out (as per your query).

However, it also depends on what is causing the noise. For example if you are sitting next to a bus engine that is droning at 1 kHz consistently. Then that may block out the 1 kHz discussion we stated in the above example. It also depends on the individual's hearing health (noise induced deafness for example affects the 1, 3, 4 kHz bands).

So there are a lot of variables in play. I work in the audiometry/occupational medicine industry, and I would caution against using open backed cans and earbuds in a noisy place. There will be a tendency to jack up the volume to overcome the noise and IEMs do a better job of isolating and hence protecting hearing health. I've seen a lot of cases of youngsters blasting loud volumes for years on TWS buds and open-backed cans while commuting around, and they come in with an audiometry looking like a 70 year old's hearing (this is not reversible BTW).
Totally agree with this. Though it is pretty strange because treble energy is the weakest of the spectrum; which is why the density of foam covers matters so much in changing the overall sound in a set of buds. Having said that, I also agree that it is normally the upper mids and treble region that do the most damage to hearing, and most folks don't even realize it is happening until it is too late. We all (naturally) tend to crank the volume to "compensate" for the weakest part of the spectrum when using head gear, which also exacerbates the issue.

Also, it is normal for treble ranges to start narrowing down as you age. I personally can't hear above 12kHz unless it is cranked pretty high (which would actually damage it further, and I would never know). I have been very fortunate in my years. I DO protect my hearing now, but I have been to more concerts than I can count (especially metal and the like) where I did not think to protect it; think in the hundreds. And after the concert we would crank the car stereo really loud all the way home.
Great write-up. I learned quite a bit here.

I wear AirPods Pro more often than I do open buds when I commute, but even with higher isolation and its digital processing, there are still chunks of frequencies that get drowned out when I walk alongside a major road. But I put up with it and still keep the volume on the lower side. That's why I wanted to ask this question - so that I can figure out what aspects to pick up, and then make a playlist that consists of songs in my library that are still more audible than others at low playback volume, all while being shouted down by vehicles.
This might be ONE situation where you want to purposefully find and listen to anything that is from the "loudness wars". The reason is because there are little/no dynamics in the sound file, meaning that everything in the song is all pretty much playing at the same volume. Anything that has huge swings in dynamics is poor for listening while commuting in earbuds (i.e. classical).

Jul 25, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #70,940 of 75,879
That is a slamming track.

So for Zen SU + Defiant, that would be in the range of $2000 USD?

Unfortunately, yes. I don't know what happened to my senses but they went for a walk elsewhere when I decided to purchase. Not that I regret it tbh. The Defiant has given new life to most of my earbud collection (many of which are high impedance). The Zen SU is doing something I've not heard an earbud do so far and in that sense it's unique. Still burning it in too.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #70,941 of 75,879
Thanks so much for sharing this. I am definitely interested in checking into those. I have been quietly watching for any news I can find on them. :)

You had me at Tool... :)

I love everything Tool, always have, always will; and even the offshoot bands they tend to play in while waiting for their 10 year ritual in making a new album. (I know, not entirely their fault, but you know... ) :wink:

I consider Danny's syncopation and poly rhythms (in the manner to which they are applied in a song) to be industry leading and WAY more complex than one listen could ever grant you. :) And as for the rest of the band (including Danny) I simply love how they arrange their songs and vocals. It is masterful for anyone that cares to listen beyond the "simple(ness)" that it might sound like at first listen.

My favorite buds for this type of music is still the Yinmans. They are clear enough to reveal everything (AFAIK), but yet smooth enough to not be fatiguing with that lovely gritty guitar.

Pneuma from Fear Inoculum is one of my favorites for overall sound, but the drums that Danny plays on this are the star of the show (IMHO). They sound deceptively simple, but watching this video reveals how hard it really is; though he makes it look very easy. The middle (quiet) section is probably one of the most complex polyrhythms that I have seen. This is not conveyed very well just by listening to it. Not only does he have all 4 appendages moving at the same time, but they are all playing a different rhythm. Also, Danny still looks pretty buff for being in his 60's... :)

Anyhow, for those interested in seeing it (which admittedly I have probably posted here before :sunglasses:):

Totally agree with this. Though it is pretty strange because treble energy is the weakest of the spectrum; which is why the density of foam covers matters so much in changing the overall sound in a set of buds. Having said that, I also agree that it is normally the upper mids and treble region that do the most damage to hearing, and most folks don't even realize it is happening until it is too late. We all (naturally) tend to crank the volume to "compensate" for the weakest part of the spectrum when using head gear, which also exacerbates the issue.

Also, it is normal for treble ranges to start narrowing down as you age. I personally can't hear above 12kHz unless it is cranked pretty high (which would actually damage it further, and I would never know). I have been very fortunate in my years. I DO protect my hearing now, but I have been to more concerts than I can count (especially metal and the like) where I did not think to protect it; think in the hundreds. And after the concert we would crank the car stereo really loud all the way home.

This might be ONE situation where you want to purposefully find and listen to anything that is from the "loudness wars". The reason is because there are little/no dynamics in the sound file, meaning that everything in the song is all pretty much playing at the same volume. Anything that has huge swings in dynamics is poor for listening while commuting in earbuds (i.e. classical).

Danny is just a once in a lifetime talent.

How do the Yinmans do with the dynamics of the drum play?

Jul 25, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #70,942 of 75,879
RW2000 sounds like the most reasonable suggestion. I've already heard them described as similar but warmer. How about detail though? Is it comparable?
I find them to have excellent detail for a musical set. After all they are basically the same shells (though a tad bigger) as the RW3000. I am not totally sure if it is the same driver, but re-tuned or not. Either way, there ARE similarities that let you know they are both Yincrow buds... :)

Jul 25, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #70,943 of 75,879
Danny is just a once in a lifetime talent.

How do the Yinmans do with the dynamics of the drum play?
Agreed! :)

The Yinmans are very good at handling dynamics, but I wouldn't call them the best I have ever heard in an earbud. They convey macro and micro dynamics well enough that you DO notice it, so I also would not call them poor at it. Combine this with great detail retrieval (still baffles me how I can call them really good at detail retrieval :wink:), imaging, and separation, and it is a very strong set indeed.

I think that one of the reasons I love the FiiO FF5 so well is not necessarily the tuning because like @JAnonymous5150 said once, the tuning is good, but not just "out of this world". To me, the technicalities make this one a truly great bud combined with "nothing offensive" the tuning they possess. :)

The Chaconne is still the one to beat for dynamics, as well as soundstage IMHO. But, also as mentioned, these can be considered a niche set.

P.S. Also, my DUNU Alpha 3 Just came in the mail (a day early)... I'll share when I have a chance to listen to them. :sunglasses: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #70,944 of 75,879
I've been avoiding doing this for a couple of reasons, but I started using my rw3000s at the desktop instead of my Sennheiser HD560s.
[REASONS]
Cans are easier to slap on and off my head, since I get up a lot to answer door/wife/kid.​
HD560s has a 3m cable that makes it easier to keep out of the range of my cats' teeth when they are sitting on my lap.​

But now that I'm using them, they sound oh-so-much better than the HD560s. It's hard to go back.

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #70,945 of 75,879
I've been avoiding doing this for a couple of reasons, but I started using my rw3000s at the desktop instead of my Sennheiser HD560s.
[REASONS]
Cans are easier to slap on and off my head, since I get up a lot to answer door/wife/kid.​
HD560s has a 3m cable that makes it easier to keep out of the range of my cats' teeth when they are sitting on my lap.​

But now that I'm using them, they sound oh-so-much better than the HD560s. It's hard to go back.
Just like me, you've been spoiled by the great sound quality of the RW-3000. I have a number of buds now and while I like the qualities of those various buds, I keep coming back to the RW-3000 for their straight up musicality. They are easy to drive, great sound stage, nice low to high extension, excellent detail retrieval. Now this is really a big claim to make, but if I had to choose only one set of buds to keep out of my collection right now, it would have to be my RW-3000's. When I put them in my ears I know they will not disappoint for any genre of music I throw at them. You might just feel the same way.

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #70,946 of 75,879
P.S. Also, my DUNU Alpha 3 Just came in the mail (a day early)... I'll share when I have a chance to listen to them. :sunglasses: :thumbsup:
After some time with the Alpha 3, I'm finding they're a little lacking in the bass department. They do have nice mids / treble, but if I want to get some decent bass I have to raise the volume which also pushes the volume of mids / treble into my danger zone. One design feature of the Alpha 3 is the porting at the rear base portion of the driver housing where the stem protrudes. In most buds we encounter, the back ports get either fully covered (think MX500) or partially covered (think FF5) which can aid in adding some bass extension. Maybe if the Alpha 3 back ports were covered by foam the bass would be enhanced(?). I have some 3m Micropore tape and diy tuning foam, so I'm gonna try covering those back ports and see what happens to the sound signature.

Jul 26, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #70,947 of 75,879
Just like me, you've been spoiled by the great sound quality of the RW-3000. I have a number of buds now and while I like the qualities of those various buds, I keep coming back to the RW-3000 for their straight up musicality. They are easy to drive, great sound stage, nice low to high extension, excellent detail retrieval. Now this is really a big claim to make, but if I had to choose only one set of buds to keep out of my collection right now, it would have to be my RW-3000's. When I put them in my ears I know they will not disappoint for any genre of music I throw at them. You might just feel the same way.
They really are a great "all rounder". Having said that, I still maintain (from my point of view) that the RW2000 are just a bit more of an "all rounder" than the RW3000, but only because of the analytical nature of the RW3000 (not that they are truly analytical, just in comparison). I wouldn't get rid of either of them to be honest. They really do compliment each other rather than compete against each other.
After some time with the Alpha 3, I'm finding they're a little lacking in the bass department. They do have nice mids / treble, but if I want to get some decent bass I have to raise the volume which also pushes the volume of mids / treble into my danger zone. One design feature of the Alpha 3 is the porting at the rear base portion of the driver housing where the stem protrudes. In most buds we encounter, the back ports get either fully covered (think MX500) or partially covered (think FF5) which can aid in adding some bass extension. Maybe if the Alpha 3 back ports were covered by foam the bass would be enhanced(?). I have some 3m Micropore tape and diy tuning foam, so I'm gonna try covering those back ports and see what happens to the sound signature.
I have to agree with you on this point. While the bass IS there, and even the sub bass (though rolled off), can sound off some. It is rolled off enough that songs with very deep sub bass lose too much energy to sound accurate.

As for my first impressions, and they are subject to change as I listen to them (whether it be through brain burn-in, or conditioning, or both), my thoughts will differ even from the few reviews I have read. I find these to be better than the "meh" I thought they were going to be for sure, but they aren't the "next big thing" from DUNU. There really isn't any comparison to the OG Alpha 1 because the tuning isn't even close to the same thing here. I think they were going more for a similar tuning to the FF5 or the RW3000 (similarities, not exactly the same though).

The packaging and build quality are the standard DUNU presentation, which is to say that they are TOTL, even if they are a bit cheaper. I am certainly glad that they decided to go with a cheaper price than the Alpha 1 when they came out. I think this kept the Alpha 1 down for the longest time, because I don't think the price tag matched the sound quality that you were getting for the price. If they had been much cheaper in from the start, they would probably have been much more popular.

Anyhow, these things are built like a tank (much like the FF3 or the FF5), and I have 0 complaints here. Though, I still don't like the fixed cable for something like this. Since they are built like a tank, you would almost need to destroy the set just trying to change a broken cable. But... it actually looks like there is a set screw (hex head) that might be holding the two (vertical) halves of the stem together, which might lend to being able to easily service your own set.

Having said that, the cable (though fixed) is really nice. It is very thin, but non-microphonic, and I find it to have less memory than aforementioned FF3 or FF5. It is almost supple, if a bit rubbery feeling. It was well created though, which we all know that DUNU is VERY good at making cables. I picked up the 4.4mm balanced version so that I can use either balanced or SE in my interconnections. On that note, I also love that it is so thin. It is not NEAR as heavy as the FF5, for instance (and thereby constantly pulling at the monitors in your ears).

This leads to the fitment (for me). These are very similar to what I might say about the FF3. They are indeed a bit heavy, but are so balanced, and are of such a size and shape, that while they have a very long stem, they don't budge, and are comfortable for very long sessions. I can shake my head pretty rigorously, and they will not budge from their place. I would put these at a very close second to the FF3 as the most comfortable (over time) set that I own.

The buds are very beautiful, and I especially love the almost "celtic rune" look they have as an added touch/flair. As per usual DUNU fashion, they look very professionally built. Top notch here!

I think that overall these have a very nice sound, with some caveats. That isn't to say that they sound really bad in any particular area, they just have some weaknesses if I am looking at them as a versatile or "all rounder" set. They have the potential to be perfect for those that are looking specifically for this type of tuning and technicalities.

The bass is of particular interest here (and has some weaknesses, more so than other frequencies). The sub bass is quite rolled off, and while it IS there, it isn't audible enough to add any sort of rumble. It is fast enough that what you CAN hear of it, just thuds and dies trying to replicate any sort of really low hit or rumble. It isn't like it is lazy sounding at all, in fact it sounds like it is working too hard, and any sort of synthetic bass, or second harmonics of a kick drum might fall flat.

Moving up to the mid bass, we have much more presence, though I still wouldn't put it at levels equal to most "contemporary" buds. For anything that is more focused on mid bass (rock, metal, etc...) it will sound more accurate and does have some thump, though more in the background than present and level with the rest of the spectrum. That isn't to say that it is missing or too low like some think the Chaconne might have (we'll come back to that later). I think that the upper bass, which normally lends to warmth or thickness in the rest of the overall sound is also too low in amplitude to do too much good, and you have to listen close to hear bass guitars that play a lot in this area. It also isn't missing though, and you can indeed hear it, but it doesn't really add a lot of warmth to the mids or overall sound. That isn't to say that it makes the whole sound too thin like something from Smabat might, but I also wouldn't say these are particularly warm sounding. So overall they are just a bit recessed, but that doesn't mean it sounds scooped out like the Smabat ST10S B&G do though.

There is a tad bit of warmth though, and this means that the lower and mid mids aren't super thin, or "troughed" out. In fact the mids are pretty prominent in the mix, just not particularly impactful though (IMO). There really isn't anything missing from the mids, and I think they are very well done. Female vocals (or high pitched vocals to be more precise) are the star of this show. When using drums as a "benchmark", the toms and mid-centric sounding drums are much louder (to my ears) than the lower kits (read, kick drums), This makes them sound a bit out of place to my ears as far as imaging and layering are concerned, and is one of the things I listen for to get an accurate picture of where everything is located. This isn't to say that it is super skewed, it is just a tad bit off to my ears. There IS some good texture in the mids, and can be considered wet and prominent. Mid forward lovers will be really happy here.

Nowadays, I put the upper mids and treble together, because a ton of ChFi companies use this upper mid region to make up for a lack of tuning in the treble region. In this case I don't believe that DUNU used this method. They DID indeed tune the treble region to be boosted. The problem with this is that they also boosted the upper mids (typical DUNU "house" tuning for upper mids). While I wouldn't put them quite at "ice pick" or "female poison" levels, I would put them very close to that edge for those sensitive to it. Combined with the boosted mid treble, these can indeed be very aggressive sounding to those sensitive.

There are some songs that can sound both shouty and sibilant because of this. While I am not too sensitive to treble boost, these can have a bit of sibilance once in a great while. Cymbal crashes (for instance) can sometimes get overpowering in the mix and sound a bit thin or hot overall. Either way these are very bright and aggressive. The upper treble is a bit rolled off, so while the treble boost might give the impression of clarity, there is only a bit of air up top. It isn't missing, and I consider it to be just about right if the mid treble and uppper mids/lower treble weren't so boosted. Once again, I don't think that this makes the overall sound so skewed as to sound funny, but I am comparing to other TOTL buds, and these have quite a bit to live up to.

Technicities range from average to good to great; none I would consider excellent though. Macro dynamics are pretty good, but micro dynamics are lacking just a tad bit (remember I AM comparing to some really good competition). Staging is average in width, but it lacks depth or height to my ears. I am a bit shocked here, being a set of earbuds, and with the porting they have. I thought these were going to be super wide and tall (if also hoping to have great depth). Where they have some issues is with the separation. I thought that with all the driver coatings nowadays, we had solved the DD congestion issues. Well, we haven't just yet. These can sound congested in some really busy stuff like metal. With songs that aren't busy, it is excellent though.

Detail retrieval, I would consider to be just average. In the song Had a drink by Two Feet, during the chorus where he is singing and the bass is quietly playing in the background, there is some audible amp hum (on their end), and with sets with excellent detail retrieval, you can plainly hear it, but on this set it is silent. This could be considered a good thing where hum is concerned, but I like to use it to measure micro detail retrieval, and it is a bit surprising given as this is a pretty low impedance (32Ohms) and fairly high sensitivity (105dBSPL/mW) set. Having said that, the macro detail retrieval is a bit better overall, and I don't feel that you are going to miss too much from the mix. It might lack just a tad bit of impact overall though.

As for the bass from earlier, comparing it to the Chaconne, I was a bit disappointed because while I love the Chaconne and we can all agree that the bass is pretty much in the background, it is this very tuning that makes those so very special, and adds to the huge soundstage that these get. This isn't so true for the Alpha 3. It is just... in the background, and doesn't really add to the technicalities prowess at all. This isn't to say that that makes it bad, but for $80 I am looking for a bit more WOW from DUNU.

Having said all that I have said, I am being nitpicky on a lot of things here, and I find them overall to make for a great (just not excellent) set of buds. Do I think they are worthy of the lofty (for earbuds) price? Well, not for sound alone, no. If you take into account the rugged build, beauty, and cable, I might otherwise say yes though. To my ears these are trying too hard to be a set that has some really great clarity (and mostly succeed), but using tricks to do it. If you aren't used to hearing TOTL models and know how good it CAN get, then you might disagree with me and think they are just the best thing since sliced bread. But at this point, I can't help but listen in "critical" mode, and find all of these tricks to be a bit overdone, and wished they had just used a better driver, and wouldn't have to had done this.

This isn't to say that these aren't very good sounding buds. They are. :) They just don't compare to the staples that I have come to know (Yincrow, Yinman, FiiO, etc...) for the price they are asking. I found this to be also true of the Alpha 1 and would have thought much better of them if they weren't $299; if they were about what I paid for them ($39), I would have thought of them as excellent for their price class.

Bottom line is that if these were released for something like $30-$50, I would be much more inclined to say that these could give any budget set a run for their money. In the TOTL category, I don't think they quite hold up. There is just too many things that are off to be TOTL. I know this all sounds really negative. It isn't because the overall sound is really good, and I will enjoy them. They are different enough from all my other sets, that I think them worth keeping in my collection.

With all of that said, please take it all with a grain of salt, and these are my opinions (very subjective), and as always YMMV. These might be the best thing you have ever heard, they DO have the potential to give that impression. Also, I am very sorry this got to be so very long. :)

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #70,948 of 75,879
They really are a great "all rounder". Having said that, I still maintain (from my point of view) that the RW2000 are just a bit more of an "all rounder" than the RW3000, but only because of the analytical nature of the RW3000 (not that they are truly analytical, just in comparison). I wouldn't get rid of either of them to be honest. They really do compliment each other rather than compete against each other.

I have to agree with you on this point. While the bass IS there, and even the sub bass (though rolled off), can sound off some. It is rolled off enough that songs with very deep sub bass lose too much energy to sound accurate.

As for my first impressions, and they are subject to change as I listen to them (whether it be through brain burn-in, or conditioning, or both), my thoughts will differ even from the few reviews I have read. I find these to be better than the "meh" I thought they were going to be for sure, but they aren't the "next big thing" from DUNU. There really isn't any comparison to the OG Alpha 1 because the tuning isn't even close to the same thing here. I think they were going more for a similar tuning to the FF5 or the RW3000 (similarities, not exactly the same though).

The packaging and build quality are the standard DUNU presentation, which is to say that they are TOTL, even if they are a bit cheaper. I am certainly glad that they decided to go with a cheaper price than the Alpha 1 when they came out. I think this kept the Alpha 1 down for the longest time, because I don't think the price tag matched the sound quality that you were getting for the price. If they had been much cheaper in from the start, they would probably have been much more popular.

Anyhow, these things are built like a tank (much like the FF3 or the FF5), and I have 0 complaints here. Though, I still don't like the fixed cable for something like this. Since they are built like a tank, you would almost need to destroy the set just trying to change a broken cable. But... it actually looks like there is a set screw (hex head) that might be holding the two (vertical) halves of the stem together, which might lend to being able to easily service your own set.

Having said that, the cable (though fixed) is really nice. It is very thin, but non-microphonic, and I find it to have less memory than aforementioned FF3 or FF5. It is almost supple, if a bit rubbery feeling. It was well created though, which we all know that DUNU is VERY good at making cables. I picked up the 4.4mm balanced version so that I can use either balanced or SE in my interconnections. On that note, I also love that it is so thin. It is not NEAR as heavy as the FF5, for instance (and thereby constantly pulling at the monitors in your ears).

This leads to the fitment (for me). These are very similar to what I might say about the FF3. They are indeed a bit heavy, but are so balanced, and are of such a size and shape, that while they have a very long stem, they don't budge, and are comfortable for very long sessions. I can shake my head pretty rigorously, and they will not budge from their place. I would put these at a very close second to the FF3 as the most comfortable (over time) set that I own.

The buds are very beautiful, and I especially love the almost "celtic rune" look they have as an added touch/flair. As per usual DUNU fashion, they look very professionally built. Top notch here!

I think that overall these have a very nice sound, with some caveats. That isn't to say that they sound really bad in any particular area, they just have some weaknesses if I am looking at them as a versatile or "all rounder" set. They have the potential to be perfect for those that are looking specifically for this type of tuning and technicalities.

The bass is of particular interest here (and has some weaknesses, more so than other frequencies). The sub bass is quite rolled off, and while it IS there, it isn't audible enough to add any sort of rumble. It is fast enough that what you CAN hear of it, just thuds and dies trying to replicate any sort of really low hit or rumble. It isn't like it is lazy sounding at all, in fact it sounds like it is working too hard, and any sort of synthetic bass, or second harmonics of a kick drum might fall flat.

Moving up to the mid bass, we have much more presence, though I still wouldn't put it at levels equal to most "contemporary" buds. For anything that is more focused on mid bass (rock, metal, etc...) it will sound more accurate and does have some thump, though more in the background than present and level with the rest of the spectrum. That isn't to say that it is missing or too low like some think the Chaconne might have (we'll come back to that later). I think that the upper bass, which normally lends to warmth or thickness in the rest of the overall sound is also too low in amplitude to do too much good, and you have to listen close to hear bass guitars that play a lot in this area. It also isn't missing though, and you can indeed hear it, but it doesn't really add a lot of warmth to the mids or overall sound. That isn't to say that it makes the whole sound too thin like something from Smabat might, but I also wouldn't say these are particularly warm sounding. So overall they are just a bit recessed, but that doesn't mean it sounds scooped out like the Smabat ST10S B&G do though.

There is a tad bit of warmth though, and this means that the lower and mid mids aren't super thin, or "troughed" out. In fact the mids are pretty prominent in the mix, just not particularly impactful though (IMO). There really isn't anything missing from the mids, and I think they are very well done. Female vocals (or high pitched vocals to be more precise) are the star of this show. When using drums as a "benchmark", the toms and mid-centric sounding drums are much louder (to my ears) than the lower kits (read, kick drums), This makes them sound a bit out of place to my ears as far as imaging and layering are concerned, and is one of the things I listen for to get an accurate picture of where everything is located. This isn't to say that it is super skewed, it is just a tad bit off to my ears. There IS some good texture in the mids, and can be considered wet and prominent. Mid forward lovers will be really happy here.

Nowadays, I put the upper mids and treble together, because a ton of ChFi companies use this upper mid region to make up for a lack of tuning in the treble region. In this case I don't believe that DUNU used this method. They DID indeed tune the treble region to be boosted. The problem with this is that they also boosted the upper mids (typical DUNU "house" tuning for upper mids). While I wouldn't put them quite at "ice pick" or "female poison" levels, I would put them very close to that edge for those sensitive to it. Combined with the boosted mid treble, these can indeed be very aggressive sounding to those sensitive.

There are some songs that can sound both shouty and sibilant because of this. While I am not too sensitive to treble boost, these can have a bit of sibilance once in a great while. Cymbal crashes (for instance) can sometimes get overpowering in the mix and sound a bit thin or hot overall. Either way these are very bright and aggressive. The upper treble is a bit rolled off, so while the treble boost might give the impression of clarity, there is only a bit of air up top. It isn't missing, and I consider it to be just about right if the mid treble and uppper mids/lower treble weren't so boosted. Once again, I don't think that this makes the overall sound so skewed as to sound funny, but I am comparing to other TOTL buds, and these have quite a bit to live up to.

Technicities range from average to good to great; none I would consider excellent though. Macro dynamics are pretty good, but micro dynamics are lacking just a tad bit (remember I AM comparing to some really good competition). Staging is average in width, but it lacks depth or height to my ears. I am a bit shocked here, being a set of earbuds, and with the porting they have. I thought these were going to be super wide and tall (if also hoping to have great depth). Where they have some issues is with the separation. I thought that with all the driver coatings nowadays, we had solved the DD congestion issues. Well, we haven't just yet. These can sound congested in some really busy stuff like metal. With songs that aren't busy, it is excellent though.

Detail retrieval, I would consider to be just average. In the song Had a drink by Two Feet, during the chorus where he is singing and the bass is quietly playing in the background, there is some audible amp hum (on their end), and with sets with excellent detail retrieval, you can plainly hear it, but on this set it is silent. This could be considered a good thing where hum is concerned, but I like to use it to measure micro detail retrieval, and it is a bit surprising given as this is a pretty low impedance (32Ohms) and fairly high sensitivity (105dBSPL/mW) set. Having said that, the macro detail retrieval is a bit better overall, and I don't feel that you are going to miss too much from the mix. It might lack just a tad bit of impact overall though.

As for the bass from earlier, comparing it to the Chaconne, I was a bit disappointed because while I love the Chaconne and we can all agree that the bass is pretty much in the background, it is this very tuning that makes those so very special, and adds to the huge soundstage that these get. This isn't so true for the Alpha 3. It is just... in the background, and doesn't really add to the technicalities prowess at all. This isn't to say that that makes it bad, but for $80 I am looking for a bit more WOW from DUNU.

Having said all that I have said, I am being nitpicky on a lot of things here, and I find them overall to make for a great (just not excellent) set of buds. Do I think they are worthy of the lofty (for earbuds) price? Well, not for sound alone, no. If you take into account the rugged build, beauty, and cable, I might otherwise say yes though. To my ears these are trying too hard to be a set that has some really great clarity (and mostly succeed), but using tricks to do it. If you aren't used to hearing TOTL models and know how good it CAN get, then you might disagree with me and think they are just the best thing since sliced bread. But at this point, I can't help but listen in "critical" mode, and find all of these tricks to be a bit overdone, and wished they had just used a better driver, and wouldn't have to had done this.

This isn't to say that these aren't very good sounding buds. They are. :) They just don't compare to the staples that I have come to know (Yincrow, Yinman, FiiO, etc...) for the price they are asking. I found this to be also true of the Alpha 1 and would have thought much better of them if they weren't $299; if they were about what I paid for them ($39), I would have thought of them as excellent for their price class.

Bottom line is that if these were released for something like $30-$50, I would be much more inclined to say that these could give any budget set a run for their money. In the TOTL category, I don't think they quite hold up. There is just too many things that are off to be TOTL. I know this all sounds really negative. It isn't because the overall sound is really good, and I will enjoy them. They are different enough from all my other sets, that I think them worth keeping in my collection.

With all of that said, please take it all with a grain of salt, and these are my opinions (very subjective), and as always YMMV. These might be the best thing you have ever heard, they DO have the potential to give that impression. Also, I am very sorry this got to be so very long. :)
Thanks for very detail impression
I think I'm gonna pass this one, although I'm really interested the first time saw it
You save my wallet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #70,950 of 75,879
Thanks for very detail impression
I think I'm gonna pass this one, although I'm really interested the first time saw it
You save my wallet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
You are welcome! :)

If you are on such a budget that you don't want to pay the higher cost of the FF5 or the Yincrow RW3000, these just might be the ticket though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back