Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 1, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #70,487 of 75,542
@RikudouGoku makes good buds. I have had two of his, still have the Grand Rider 2, and I will buy again from him because I have faith in his tuning, his ears, and his statements. I believe it is quite a stupidity to cry wolf and holding strong opinions without ever experiencing the product the way it is intended to - by ears, not by eyes.

@Ronion , this is a very hospitable community. Your unnecessary hostile conducts are not at all welcomed here. You have not heard it. Even when presented with proofs that those nubs do alter the sound signature, you started to take things out of context and focused on an entirely different aspect - whereas it was already put in disclaimer that the measurements are not that of the final product, just taken to show the effects of the nubs.

It seems to me that you are a person who loves to declare that you hold the absolute truth, and loves to wave it around to everyone with loud disclaimers: "Look, this is the absolute truth! You must accept it! No no do not come at me with any other statements, this is the absolute truth! You must know it too! You might not realise it, but deep down you have to know that my truth is the very final absolute truth. Do not question."

This is very irritating and cluttering this otherwise wonderful community of discussion with unnecessary useless blabber. Please stop.

I disagree, @Ronion adds so much more to the way the sound behaves and how it can be shaped to your liking than a hundred thousand others saying whether a bud sounds better or worse.

I'm sorry, I don't take well to public stoning on behalf of the masses, and I don't feel right that Ronion is criticized for hostile responses and done with hostile responses, and the latter are considered valuable and contributing to the community... .

NO.

I have the immense luck of not being hypocritical and being clear about what I consider to be right or wrong, if the Risdokus bud sounds good or bad or if its description is wrong I don't know, and I personally think they look great. ..

If Ronion's response was brusque, maybe, or yes, it was brusque. But I don't see a witch hunt well at all, when if there's one thing I know for sure it's that Ronion knows exactly what he's talking about.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #70,488 of 75,542
I don't think that all of above is a reason to call me a con man and that I am using malice practice in my marketing, but it is up for the community to decide.

bah,

you've made a bud, if it sounds good, great, if not, well you'll sell less.

I don't think anyone would be bothered / or angered by that, no one forces them to buy...

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #70,489 of 75,542
Rikubuds Alter Rider 3 in today! After a couple of hours of listening:
(This unit was sent to me by Riku for review, it was not requested I say anything in particular about them.)

Fit and build is solid, ergonomics almost custom levels (I must be lucky). Lightweight but sturdy.
Look is beautiful, SoundSphere adds to the aesthetic. Function and fashion going hand in hand.
Overall package and presentation feels complete, good accessories.
No glaring issues with quality control or design.
No gripes with tuning in any music genre tried so far (kpop, jpop, pop, jazz, rock, rnb, hiphop, classical).
Techs are organically integrated and subtly engaging.
Full review once I get more time with them, this first impressions is purposely vague on sound due to not having enough time with the unit yet.

Attachments

• 20230701_102445.jpg
    20230701_102445.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230701_102501.jpg
    20230701_102501.jpg
    666.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230701_112630.jpg
    20230701_112630.jpg
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230701_105246.jpg
    20230701_105246.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230701_104638.jpg
    20230701_104638.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230701_104632.jpg
    20230701_104632.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230701_104316.jpg
    20230701_104316.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230701_104015.jpg
    20230701_104015.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230701_104010.jpg
    20230701_104010.jpg
    586 KB · Views: 0
Jul 1, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #70,490 of 75,542
(This unit was sent to me by Riku for review, it was not requested I say anything in particular about them.)

Fit and build is solid, ergonomics almost custom levels (I must be lucky). Lightweight but sturdy.
Look is beautiful, SoundSphere adds to the aesthetic. Function and fashion going hand in hand.
No gripes with tuning in any music genre tried so far (kpop, jpop, pop, jazz, rock, rnb, hiphop, classical).
Full review once I get more time with them, this first impressions is purposely vague on sound due to not having enough time with the unit yet.
Is there any info about the impedance of these buds? Since 4.4mm is not the default option, I imagine the drivers do not have high impedance.

Would be interested to compare these against Serratus and a drag-and-drop I built recently.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #70,491 of 75,542
This tech, soundsphere was created because small shells (low volume) struggles with soundstage size and this solution helps that weakness in my experience. While it is not concluded in the community if and how to measure the soundstage I see measurable significant differences in the frequency response with the pyramids or without them applied in the shell so calling them snake oil is also inappropriate. Disclaimer: the differences in the shell volume with and without them is below 5% in worst case scenario and while it definitely is also a factor it is discussable whether this would cause that significant difference.

I don't really mind removing the single usage of ”diffusers” in my description of it, as the main point is that it helps the soundstage and in my opinion it does. I used the term diffusers/scattering because it is the most fitting cause of what I heard and measured (and is also backed up by other sources).

I don't think that all of above is a reason to call me a con man and that I am using malice practice in my marketing, but it is up for the community to decide.
Then my apologies @RikudouGoku. It read like you were trying to sell people stuff under false pretense and it did frustrate me. There's a lot of that in audio and I don't like it for all for the obvious reasons. Since you seem to have actually had no ill intent, then it's my bad and I'm sorry for accusing you of something you weren't doing. I think it was just a language barrier thing that went way too far. It all makes sense when I go back and read your replies. We were absolutely talking past each other.

Jul 1, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #70,492 of 75,542

A first post and already a mini review on a hotly contested new bud. You may want to hang around a bit first and let us get to know you and your background. Just saying....

Jul 1, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #70,494 of 75,542
A first post and already a mini review on a hotly contested new bud. You may want to hang around a bit first and let us get to know you and your background. Just saying....
I will vouch for @AWSMDanny as he is a well-known and respected deity over on the audiophile, IEM, & flathead Discords and has recently posted some very interesting and thoughtful YouTube videos and reviews on flatheads that have been very well received and applauded by many of us flathead fiends.
Now of course the "deity" part is said only in friendly jest... though, if I think about it some, it is probably partially true :wink:!

@AWSMDanny - Welcome to the rabbit hole... :rabbit::hole: as you have recently discovered (the earbud fanatic that you have become) it is an awfully deep and complicated one and filled with us mad hatters!

“But I don’t want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked.
“Oh, you can’t help that,” said the Cat: “we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.”
“How do you know I’m mad?” said Alice.

“You must be,” said the Cat, “or you wouldn’t have come here.” :hole:

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #70,495 of 75,542
I will vouch for @AWSMDanny as he is a well-known and respected deity over on the audiophile, IEM, & flathead Discords and has recently posted some very interesting and thoughtful YouTube videos and reviews on flatheads that have been very well received and applauded by many of us flathead fiends.
Now of course the "deity" part is said only in friendly jest... though, if I think about it some, it is probably partially true :wink:!

@AWSMDanny - Welcome to the rabbit hole... :rabbit::hole: as you have recently discovered (the earbud fanatic that you have become) it is an awfully deep and complicated one and filled with us mad hatters!

“But I don’t want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked.
“Oh, you can’t help that,” said the Cat: “we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.”
“How do you know I’m mad?” said Alice.

“You must be,” said the Cat, “or you wouldn’t have come here.” :hole:
Oh, he's the earbuds ranking guy! That's pretty cool.

Jul 2, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #70,496 of 75,542
Ronion is one of the guys who knows all the drivers in the market
That’s as maybe but ‘ol onion's rude and conceited calling out @AWSMDanny because he had the audacity to give his opinion an a set he’s actually heard...Not like Hi welcome to Head-fi thanks for your input etc oh no!.

Jul 2, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #70,497 of 75,542
Is there any info about the impedance of these buds? Since 4.4mm is not the default option, I imagine the drivers do not have high impedance.

Would be interested to compare these against Serratus and a drag-and-drop I built recently.
From the card it is 32 Ohm Ti. Rather on high sensitivity side, 50/100 on low gain on R3 Saber single ended is plenty enough for my normal listening level (~70-75dB)

Jul 2, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #70,498 of 75,542
Wow what a sh__ storm, @RikudouGoku you do not deserve this at all.

This is a public forum so discussions is to be expected, but people should always try and be polite and not attack others.
Sometimes it is better to say your opinion/fact and go silent, going on like this is like a crusade and only make you look like a fool.

Anyway been super busy last month with IEM stuff so I haven’t had time to write about the Grand Berserker 2. Hoping to get some time this summer and can compare against some of the mid tier offerings from VE.

What I know is that I like the sound as its none offensive and fun, without the intense tonality many buds have.

DSCF2915.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #70,499 of 75,542
From the card it is 32 Ohm Ti. Rather on high sensitivity side, 50/100 on low gain on R3 Saber single ended is plenty enough for my normal listening level (~70-75dB)
That’s … kinda disappointing to me, personally. I prefer 300 or 500 ohm to give my amps a work out. Maybe the “grand” line would give me that 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back