Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 29, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #70,426 of 75,479
Jun 30, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #70,427 of 75,479
How is JCAllyEP05, EP08 or EP09? Or any other with Mic but decent Bass and Smooth but clear vocals. Not looking to spend too much but within AUD $30-35. May be few $$s here and there. Anyone used this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005368379209.html Or this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001180479742.html
How is **** PT15? I guess there is a new version? But is that good? Not too bright and harsh? Have some smooth and warm sound with decent Bass but clear.?

Jun 30, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #70,429 of 75,479
@omerad posted about the Temperament DBX around middle of March. The DBX were introduced at the Shanghai Headphones Expo, 2023. omerad posted a couple pictures of the DBX in the post I linked. I guess it took a couple months for the DBX to be released.

This plate shows a very expensive "delicacy" :wink:
1688102899903.png

I like that they finally started with a detachable cable, but with these shells they lost the best thing that K's shells ("Bell" type) had, which is comfort.

1688103527212.png

Jun 30, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #70,430 of 75,479
This plate shows a very expensive "delicacy" :wink:
1688102899903.png

I like that they finally started with a detachable cable, but with these shells they lost the best thing that K's shells ("Bell" type) had, which is comfort.

1688103527212.png
Agreed, some of these "other variant" bell-horn shaped type shells can and do cause fitting issues for many people and are usually not as comfortable as say the classic smaller sized bell type shell that K's 凯 Ksearphone uses in their Bell-Ti series.

Jun 30, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #70,431 of 75,479
Is this a 'new' one from Ksearphone - the Temperament DBX?

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! US $444.00 50%OFF | Ksearphone Temperament DBX True Forged Damascus Gold Titanium Alloy Chamber Flat Head Earplugs HIFI Limited
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLZ4pYs

It is quite a looker, but that price...
it's new
nobody knows anything about it, making me think it might have been a fake or leak. the titanium is really nice.
@omerad posted about the Temperament DBX around middle of March. The DBX were introduced at the Shanghai Headphones Expo, 2023. omerad posted a couple pictures of the DBX in the post I linked. I guess it took a couple months for the DBX to be released.
Yes, it does appear to be an official model but apparently a very limited edition of only 100 made and already sold out!

I completely missed it... looks like it dropped on their official store on Taobao around 6 JUNE 2023 but is indicated as being sold out... I would be weary to even consider purchasing such an expensive limited edition model from anywhere but the specific brand's official store as I bet this will be heavily copied. That said, there is no way in h@#% I would buy this after my nightmare experience with my Bell-Ti High Impedance and the terrible customer service exhibited by Ks.

For the life of me I am unable to determine if the DBX is using the 80Ω or 30Ω driver... anyone?

1688108357231.png

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id...321156-tw-new.go-detail.1&skuId=5190750578727
https://world.taobao.com/item/720969320084.htm?spm=a21wu.11804641-tw.shop-content.12.37f72c64XUMiyl

It also appears that another new model is dropping any day now the Onmyoji II 钛铃阴阳师二 in titanium shell this time instead of aluminum as the previous two versions in 2020 and 2021. So it will use the very same titanium shell as the current Bell-Ti and Bell-Ti Plus models to include a fixed cable only as well.

1688109087738.png

More pics here: https://weibo.com/u/6355582329

I have updated the K's 凯 (Ksearphone 凯声科技 Kaisheng Technology) and WoodyLuvr's Flathead Timeline accordingly.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #70,432 of 75,479
Agreed, some of these "other variant" bell-horn shaped type shells can and do cause fitting issues for many people and are usually not as comfortable as say the classic smaller sized bell type shell that K's 凯 Ksearphone uses in their Bell-Ti series.
They use the same Bell shells for a long time, they are comfy and fit very well.
Only problem was connection with driver cover and shell (you are one of the victims of that flaw :wink: )
Before Bell's they used MX500 shell, and recently I found some “Reincarnated” models which we all loved :wink: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004505425972.html
Anyway ... as for the new models, I expected better design of the shell, comfort and acoustics wise, especially for the price at which they are sold

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #70,433 of 75,479
Howdy folks, has anyone tried to harvest these drivers for DIY project? I guess they would sound nice with MX500 shells and a bit of tuning

98E721EF-7454-400F-AFA0-1002E98FC6BA.jpeg
Anyhow, no one has tried to harvest drivers from smabat M4? That’s disappointing. I was hoping some gurus here have tried so I can get some advices.
@o0genesis0o Smabat drivers are good and the shells are beautiful to bad that those shells are not good sounding. I realy like ST10S 150 ohm (on MX500), SO 100ohm (on M4) and the stock 40ohm M2pro drivers (on MX500)
While I am uncertain of anyone using the M4 drivers specifically, some of them are the same drivers that came with the M2s Pro (150Ohm, 100Ohm, 40Ohm to name a few), and those have been used to great effect. I can vouch for that as I have both the 150Ohm and 40Ohm drivers in a DIY set of MX shells... They are fantastic and way better than they were in the (intended) Smabat shells.

Having said that, it might be quite a bit of (risky) work getting those drivers out of the casing, though might be worth a try on your part... :)

I'm surprised that you spent that much money and didn't have at least a probable theory about how they could possibly work and didn't try to argue your point with something at least pseudo-substantive. I don't have to own a 1970s Ford Pinto to know it's not a good car. When you think about the wavelength involved, diffusion is impossible in this situation. This isn't a "maybe" or "under certain conditions", this is a "no way.... Impossible" situation. I mean absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, these "diffusers" CAN'T diffuse. Not even close. Just like a coin on the road isn't going to stop your car from rolling. You would have been better to buy a used book on acoustics for $20 and learn what you are talking about before trying to sell things you don't understand with language that makes no sense. Your followers/customers will figure out that you don't know what you are doing if you continue in this manner. I tried telling you in the very beginning of your business that you should at least learn the very basics about what you are selling first. It's not morally right to do what you are doing. The wavelength of 20kHz is still too large to diffuse in an earbud shell, let alone something more useful like 300-3kHz. This is really very basic stuff here. If you designed a shell poorly enough, you might be able to get 20kHz to behave modally in an earbud shell. It would be extremely uncomfortable to wear for most of us however. This is very straightforward snake oil and it's obvious for anyone who knows the very basics about acoustics.
Apologies for (possibly) interjecting my thoughts where they might not be asked for, but I have to agree with the idea that the design of these shells do NOT work as intended. I can't say (without ever hearing them side by side) that they DON'T affect the sound in SOME way, but they will not reduce resonance in a way that the human ear will hear. There is just not enough room inside the shell to do this. I can't argue science for or against this topic, except for my own experiences with acoustics research and logic though. This is the same design that Focal uses in their closed back, high-end headphones, and while I would like to think that this works, I can neither prove nor disprove this.
FocalElegiaInside.jpg

The good news where I am concerned is that I didn't buy those because of this feature (I didn't even know about it until after using them for a while).

This is much like another set of IEMs I have that claim to have a bone conducting driver in them. Originally they advertised this on their site, but have since removed the claim, but it still says it on the box. They are decidedly NOT bone conducting. They DO use a piezoelectric driver, but it is used as an "air conducting" driver instead. I believe that the word was used as a sales tactic to reach more people than would have been interested otherwise. A simple (non scientific) test revealed that they are not bone conducting (putting them in between your teeth :)).

Anyhow, I believe that if there isn't actual scientific research and proof shown, the claim that they sound different than shells without "diffusion dimples" (we'll call them), is NOT acceptable proof of the claim, and shouldn't be marketed as such. It is misleading at best, and devious at worst. I really don't want to offend here, but I wanted to share my thoughts on this.
Treble spike at 8k is different from treble extension to 20kHz though. So many ChiFi companies, at least in the past, think they are the same. They slap a peak at 8k or 12k and then think they are done. No, that’s headache inducing, “fake resolution” treble. “Good treble” is smooth and flatly extended up to 20kHz. That’s how you get space and micro details.
I am totally in agreeance with this. I would MUCH rather have a linear curve where treble is concerned (even if boosted), than spikes, then dips that give the fake impression of "good" treble. For my ears, this gives the sonic sensation of being capable of very smooth highs, while remaining uber clear and sparkly (without sibilance). The Moondrop Chaconne being a perfect example for me. They are decidedly boosted in treble (except lower treble/upper midrange), but they are not offensive at all.

Jun 30, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #70,434 of 75,479
Yes, it does appear to be an official model but apparently a very limited edition of only 100 made and already sold out!
Peoples like shiny things, who cares about the sound these days :beerchug:
holding-my-bling-bling-gucci-mane.gif

Jun 30, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #70,436 of 75,479
This is the same design that Focal uses in their closed back, high-end headphones, and while I would like to think that this works, I can neither prove nor disprove this.
Focal use EVA foam small pyramids which act as dIffuser and absorber.
Also, they use very advanced driver and tech which protect driver from any vibrations caused by reflected soundwaves.
They spent so much time in developing this system, let's hope it works :fingers_crossed:

Jun 30, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #70,437 of 75,479
Focal use EVA foam small pyramids which act as dIffuser and absorber.
Also, they use very advanced driver and tech which protect driver from any vibrations caused by reflected soundwaves.
They spent so much time in developing this system, let's hope it works :fingers_crossed:
Agreed.... Even if they DON'T work, they sound so good to me, that I really don't care at this point (they really do sound more akin to an open back set than a closed back set)... LOL

Edit: I only bought them because they were deeply discounted from the OG price of $900 ($300) to see what all the fuss was about. It wasn't a TOTAL blind buy though... :)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #70,439 of 75,479
Agreed.... Even if they DON'T work, they sound so good to me, that I really don't care at this point (they really do sound more akin to an open back set than a closed back set)... LOL

Edit: I only bought them because they were deeply discounted from the OG price of $900 ($300) to see what all the fuss was about. It wasn't a TOTAL blind buy though... :)
You shouldn't have suspected at all, as I said earlier, they definitely make one of the best DD drivers in the world, for both, speakers and headphone.
For $300 ... well you are lucky guy :beerchug:. Enjoy!

Jun 30, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #70,440 of 75,479
NiceHCK B40 arrived today. Perils of sales and lack of self control! I honestly haven't had much of a listen due to other toys that also arrived. That, and a narrow window of opportunity to get some washing done, before the winter weather turns to crap again. :rolling_eyes:
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

Do let us know your impressions of them (if/when you should get the time to give them a proper listen)?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back