Earbuds Round-Up
May 17, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #69,841 of 75,861
Wanna' know something ironic? Even throughout our "sillyness" we STILL managed to stay on the topic of earbuds... ROFL

Edit: Oh the people JUST joining this thread....... R.gif
In AE could you describe them as female poison in this case?

May 17, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #69,844 of 75,861
I've followed Cypherus audio for a bit now and while I have never actually owned one myself, I would have to say it's pretty impressive how the drivers are in house, and many claims by others who have known the maker that they are done all by him. Whether this is a good thing, is what I would like to know, or how genuine this is the case.

If claims made by others and the man himself are correct, then it's up to the maker that 1k usd is justifiable, since no one else offers this kind of service. You could argue that you may as well buy a premade and adjust that, but if Cypherus's audio knowledge in sound is as good as people claim to be, I would certainly be impressed and would say then that 1k usd price tag is ok. Not saying it is, but who am I to judge, we shouldn't be in charge of what others choose to price their products.

Having seen his previous works, he obviously has the equipment to make certain things, like owning a CNC machine and tools to make the drivers. Either way, he's been around for a good while now, I even say he's one of the longest running bud service around, since most don't last more than a few years. He use to own a bud that was claimed to be a pocket hd800, being about 2k usd. However, this service isn't available anymore.

People are more than welcome to comment on these prices and say they what they feel, thats how we express opinion. But at the end of the day, you are not needed to purchase these earbuds. With how the mindset that earbuds are a value item that can also have good sound at the same time being more common, we won't be seeing this often. Maybe once in a while, but not as much as what people are going for.

Either way, I hope to listen to his works at some point in the future, to see if these claims are true of being the best.

May 17, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #69,845 of 75,861
I've followed Cypherus audio for a bit now and while I have never actually owned one myself, I would have to say it's pretty impressive how the drivers are in house, and many claims by others who have known the maker that they are done all by him. Whether this is a good thing, is what I would like to know, or how genuine this is the case.

If claims made by others and the man himself are correct, then it's up to the maker that 1k usd is justifiable, since no one else offers this kind of service. You could argue that you may as well buy a premade and adjust that, but if Cypherus's audio knowledge in sound is as good as people claim to be, I would certainly be impressed and would say then that 1k usd price tag is ok. Not saying it is, but who am I to judge, we shouldn't be in charge of what others choose to price their products.

Having seen his previous works, he obviously has the equipment to make certain things, like owning a CNC machine and tools to make the drivers. Either way, he's been around for a good while now, I even say he's one of the longest running bud service around, since most don't last more than a few years. He use to own a bud that was claimed to be a pocket hd800, being about 2k usd. However, this service isn't available anymore.

People are more than welcome to comment on these prices and say they what they feel, thats how we express opinion. But at the end of the day, you are not needed to purchase these earbuds. With how the mindset that earbuds are a value item that can also have good sound at the same time being more common, we won't be seeing this often. Maybe once in a while, but not as much as what people are going for.

Either way, I hope to listen to his works at some point in the future, to see if these claims are true of being the best.
Well said!

May 17, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #69,846 of 75,861

I know it's completely redundant, but I personally would be willing to accept a price of $1k for buds wrapped in a 5 Cent MX500 shell only if they could smash $2-3k overear headphones to smithereens with their sound quality. It's possible they can do just that, though I kind of doubt it. One thing is sure as death though, I'll never know the answer 🙃🙃🙃

May 17, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #69,847 of 75,861
I know it's completely redundant, but I personally would be willing to accept a price of $1k for buds wrapped in a 5 Cent MX500 shell only if they could smash $2-3k overear headphones to smithereens with their sound quality. It's possible they can do just that, though I kind of doubt it. One thing is sure as death though, I'll never know the answer 🙃🙃🙃
Yup, I don't think many of us are going to be able to get a listen to these earbuds, purely from how they cost and uncommon they are in popularity. Im sure I can find a way to get my ears listening to a pair, but it wont be soon.

Will it sound like 1000usd? Only one way to find out!

May 17, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #69,848 of 75,861
Also well said... :)

My problem is that in the earbuds world most companies are realistic in their pricing (to a point). They DO have to make money to keep the doors open, but they also know that consumers know how much they cost to make. When we compare some of the known TOTL buds they are somewhere in the neighborhood of $100-$300. In most cases this could be considered as equivalent to $1K-$3K headphones. So, in essence the cost of these $1K buds are equivalent to $10K-$13K headphones.

I am personally (and sincerely) glad that those who have bought them find much joy in them; that is what this hobby is all about after all. At the same time, I would never find joy in paying $1K for any earbud (Not just DIY), and I can find no other justification in charging so much other than pure greed, which always grates on me how people/companies can do that and sleep at night.

Having said that, if your disposable income is such that it doesn't affect your daily life in the end, then the decision might not be the same as it is coming from someone like me where paying $1K for something is a pretty serious decision; or more like an investment, rather than splurging for a candy bar at the grocery checkout. I suppose one needs to think of it from all points of view. If I had the money to burn and didn't need it for anything pressing, I don't know if I would say the same things as above, because I wouldn't care as much about an expenditure of $1K or more. It is really hard to say because I am in the former camp rather than the latter. So, for now I will admire those that enjoy them enough to justify such a cost but will know that I will (most likely) settle for more down-to-earth pricing now and in the future. :)

May 17, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #69,849 of 75,861
Whilst I don't speak for anyone, I do get the impression that here in "Bud-Fi" most contributors found this space by understanding the law of diminishing returns from other transducers and therefore the value that buds offer. When the occasional Unicorn strolls through this space, there is generally a lot of scepticism towards the Unicorns nature and existence. It is a tough crowd, but generally very friendly and accepting of all comers. Spend what you like and be happy but please beware that this may induce an abundance of LOL's and emojis.

May 17, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #69,850 of 75,861
Yincrow RW2000

I was also going to recommend the Yincrow RW2000 or the RW3000, or the FiiO FF5. I can't offer the FF3 or the Chaconne as recs because they have a fixed cable, but they also would fit all your other requirements.

It is my opinion that the Chaconne (to my ears) are the best of the bunch for acoustic and jazz (especially with breathy and diverse instrumentals).

Congrats on your new shiny! :)

That's great that you have found your own personal bliss.
Went ahead and bought RW2000.
Don’t much care to deal with Ali, so I choose a vendor with most/best ratings but paid $10 more. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the reccs fellas!

May 17, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #69,851 of 75,861
Well, I can't speak for the DIY stuff because I don't really do that myself. Having said that the FF3 aren't midrange, they are TOTL sound in earbuds. Admittedly, they are very different sounding than other TOTL buds you can get, but they are nonetheless.

As for DIY buds, it is one of those things that once you know how, the process itself is not that difficult to do, but is really difficult to master (the sound). I can't be sure, but it is my opinion that some of the best DIY earbud makers on the planet often grace us with their presence on this site and thread. I happen to be fortunate enough to have most of the (current) store bought TOTL earbuds, but I also have some DIY buds that I would categorize as being higher than that, at "summit-fi" as they say on this forum. :)

There is a great flathead earbud Discord server that has a TON of DIYers on it here also.
Thanks very much for your thoughts. I'll have a look over on discord and just keep saving the pennies for now until I can afford to pay someone else to do the hard work for me 😉 Out of interest what buds are top of your own personal Everest? I know we all have different anatomy and tastes (and varying levels of hearing loss due to my misspent youth) but I always find it interesting to get personal (non 'professional' reviewer) options.

May 17, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #69,852 of 75,861
Actually the reason I can confidently make a blind purchase of this earbud is because it's housed in the MX500 shell, which fits my ears very well. It may not be the most aesthetically pleasing option, but going for custom shells can be quite risky. I've ended up with several that simply don't fit my ears, and they just end up collecting dust there.

May 17, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #69,853 of 75,861
I'm definitely interested in the Sunniva too, especially since it's using custom drivers. What really gets me excited is that Jim mentioned how much more energetic and dynamic the Sunniva is compared to my current favorite, the Serratus, among all the TGXear earbuds.

But I think I'll wait a bit longer for more feedback from people who have tried the prototype and for the release date to get closer (which is only about a month away) before I make a decision. So many earbuds, so little time to listen 😂
Interested as well if these do bass well, I might just will pick them up!

EDIT: Sunniva #29!

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #69,854 of 75,861
Thanks very much for your thoughts. I'll have a look over on discord and just keep saving the pennies for now until I can afford to pay someone else to do the hard work for me 😉 Out of interest what buds are top of your own personal Everest? I know we all have different anatomy and tastes (and varying levels of hearing loss due to my misspent youth) but I always find it interesting to get personal (non 'professional' reviewer) options.
You are very welcome!

For the store bought buds the Yinman 2.0 600 are my tops. Having said that, it is a very close call, and others become my favorites at different times, but the Yinmans seem to be the ones I pick up more often. These DO take quite a bit of power to drive correctly, but sound better than average even from a phone (providing more power just takes them into the stratosphere IMHO).

For DIY buds (that top all that I have heard to date store bought or otherwise) are actually two pair that were gifted to me. So, they aren't something that one can buy.

May 18, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #69,855 of 75,861
You are very welcome!

For the store bought buds the Yinman 2.0 600 are my tops. Having said that, it is a very close call, and others become my favorites at different times, but the Yinmans seem to be the ones I pick up more often. These DO take quite a bit of power to drive correctly, but sound better than average even from a phone (providing more power just takes them into the stratosphere IMHO).

For DIY buds (that top all that I have heard to date store bought or otherwise) are actually two pair that were gifted to me. So, they aren't something that one can buy.
Hi, how would you compare Yinman 2 vs DIY masters like Riku's or Jim pure SQ wise (disregarding the differences in tonality if possible)?

I sold all my reference buds (Saber 1, Alter Rider 1, Bell Serratus) due to fit mostly and only have my own DIY assymetric Qian39 now (and Vidos :D) and I am quite confident I have one version which sounds extremely good, but I would need some good checkpoint on if my memory fails me again. And this Yinman shell looks very promising to try

Users who are viewing this thread

Back