Earbuds Round-Up
May 6, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #69,661 of 75,538
Smabat is the original developer and OEM, so give the credit to Smabat, not to Lun Sheng. Search this thread and you'll find plenty of discussion about Smabat developing M4 series and their wireless buds.

Scc1a81b302364ba484e50bba4b00b9aed.jpg

This picture is from AE "Sweet Audio Store". Picture shows "smabat Technology Labyrinth Acoustic Patent"

If I were to buy this, it would be directly from Smabat, not from some AE stores selling a rebranded Smabat product.
My understanding was they gave up on their first design as well as failed the crowdfunding target yet now are mysteriously going to develop them with a new design and a further presale campaign that finished in March 2023, going to production in April & May 2023 with a June shipping target - yet this copy is already in the market so can't really be a rebrand unless Smabat has licensed it out as such...

The labyrinth patent unfortunately is not a registered patent in any jurisdiction and only accounts for the acoustic chamber in a TWS design and not the actual modular TWS component which was the design premise of the concept. This labyrinth idea is a very common one in audio so it is only in it's TWS application they, we presume, are applying for a patent - a much harder bar to pass for patent registrations.

From my understanding Lun Sheng not only market with the Smabat patent listed but actually used this labyrinth/maze concept in it's YE01 earbud released last year. Consequently, it seems more likely that this is either a JV, licensed product or some form of internal/oursourced IP & design splinter company.

Will be interesting to understand more but until then hard to give either full credit as there is no way two companies should be launching the same product at the same time off the back of a crowdfunding.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #69,662 of 75,538
Congrats! How do they sound?
Thanks, they sound every bit as good as I remembered. I haven't kept up with the earbud lineup since I got these so I don't know if there's better out there now, but the way the treble sings on these with excellent instrument separation and overall open detailed sound got me reaching for them every day. Between these, the Stax, and the ADX5000, I'm not even peeking at the market anymore.

I know Riku/Woody used to have a list of the good stuff, but I guess not anymore with Riku doing his own thing now

May 6, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #69,663 of 75,538
Has any of you guys checked the insta story of @ValSuki for the Lazybud? I already placed an order, but mine will be an Easybud, having a bit more treble sparkle ✨

May 6, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #69,664 of 75,538
Thank you once again. My red vidos came in today and I'm pleasantly surprised.

I also got a porta pro band and luxurious pads for my ksc75. And this is the way the ksc75 should be listened to in my humble opinion. But damn, I can't get these vldos out of my ears.

I have to really start getting into this rabbit hole. I have the ry4s plus(thanks to a rec from this thread), ve monk plus, kbear stellar, and now the vido. What should I get next?

Any rec's?

May 6, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #69,665 of 75,538

I also got a porta pro band and luxurious pads for my ksc75. And this is the way the ksc75 should be listened to in my humble opinion. But damn, I can't get these vldos out of my ears.

I have to really start getting into this rabbit hole. I have the ry4s plus(thanks to a rec from this thread), ve monk plus, kbear stellar, and now the vido. What should I get next?

Any rec's?

The following are my recommendations for 15.4mm drivers.
・Qian 69
・Yincrow rw-9
・If you can use a soldering iron, you can use the following link to create a mmcx version of the N52 32ohm blue glue driver.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17398679

For drivers under 15.4mm, I recommend the following
・Qian 39
・ksearphone bell-lbs (aka LBBS)

May 6, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #69,666 of 75,538
The following are my recommendations for 15.4mm drivers.
・Qian 69
・Yincrow rw-9
・If you can use a soldering iron, you can use the following link to create a mmcx version of the N52 32ohm blue glue driver.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17398679

For drivers under 15.4mm, I recommend the following
・Qian 39
・ksearphone bell-lbs (aka LBBS)
Thank you. I was actually thinking of the Faael iris 2.0 as my next but ill check out your recommendations first.

Appreciate it

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #69,667 of 75,538
My understanding was they gave up on their first design as well as failed the crowdfunding target yet now are mysteriously going to develop them with a new design and a further presale campaign that finished in March 2023, going to production in April & May 2023 with a June shipping target - yet this copy is already in the market so can't really be a rebrand unless Smabat has licensed it out as such...

The labyrinth patent unfortunately is not a registered patent in any jurisdiction and only accounts for the acoustic chamber in a TWS design and not the actual modular TWS component which was the design premise of the concept. This labyrinth idea is a very common one in audio so it is only in it's TWS application they, we presume, are applying for a patent - a much harder bar to pass for patent registrations.

From my understanding Lun Sheng not only market with the Smabat patent listed but actually used this labyrinth/maze concept in it's YE01 earbud released last year. Consequently, it seems more likely that this is either a JV, licensed product or some form of internal/oursourced IP & design splinter company.

Will be interesting to understand more but until then hard to give either full credit as there is no way two companies should be launching the same product at the same time off the back of a crowdfunding.
It's all speculation at this point. Only Smabat and Lun Sheng know the truth. I did find a facebook post about the YE01 and it was mentioned about a possible Smabat / Lun Sheng collaboration, although Lun Sheng advertising for the YE01 gives full credit to Smabat technology.

In regard to the Smabat S1 / Lun Sheng YE-S1, it could be a collaboration or a spin-off. I do know that Smabat offers the S1 driver as a separate purchase and also has a wired version using the same driver with M4 body.

Here is the Smabat S1 timeline, there is no mystery. A company can change designs at any time. They must have determined that the original design was not feasible. You can see they have a couple different iterations of body style and charging case. The final Smabat S1 design is shown.
12029505.png

Stand alone S1 driver (purchase if you already have M4 body):
1681541505830578.jpg

New wired version with S1 driver and M4 body:
1682584568266721.jpg

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #69,670 of 75,538

Any rec's?

If you could answer a few queries, this will help the community fine tune their suggestions better:

1) Budget?
2) Preferred music genres
3) Are you a treblehead/basshead/treble sensitive etc?
4) What source are you using to drive your gear?

Where can I find earbuds (open) recommendations?
Budget (hmm) 150€, electro/pop/dance music.

Perhaps consider the Yincrow RW-2000.

May 7, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #69,671 of 75,538
If you could answer a few queries, this will help the community fine tune their suggestions better:

1) Budget?
2) Preferred music genres
3) Are you a treblehead/basshead/treble sensitive etc?
4) What source are you using to drive your gear?

Perhaps consider the Yincrow RW-2000.

Sorry. I should have posted my requirements earlier.

1. For right now between twenty and forty dollars. Of course the cheaper the better. Later on ill increase my budget. But now just want to get my toes wet.
2. Jazz. Jazz, jazz and some more jazz. But I have also,very recently, gotten into Americana. The Dead, old crow medicine show, hogslop string band and the like.
3. Really I'm not a bass head or treble head. But I'm not sensitive to treble if done right. My preferred sound signature would probably be on the warmish slde(think porta pro or the truthear hola). I also don't mind a v shape.
4. Mainly portable. So I can't run 150ohm flats unless the sensitivety is really high. And I have nothing to run a balanced cable. I would say my best dap is the cowon d2+. But I run out of my tablet/ phone as well. And I do have a cx1993 dongle.

I hope this helps.

May 7, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #69,672 of 75,538
Sorry. I should have posted my requirements earlier.

1. For right now between twenty and forty dollars. Of course the cheaper the better. Later on ill increase my budget. But now just want to get my toes wet.
2. Jazz. Jazz, jazz and some more jazz. But I have also,very recently, gotten into Americana. The Dead, old crow medicine show, hogslop string band and the like.
3. Really I'm not a bass head or treble head. But I'm not sensitive to treble if done right. My preferred sound signature would probably be on the warmish slde(think porta pro or the truthear hola). I also don't mind a v shape.
4. Mainly portable. So I can't run 150ohm flats unless the sensitivety is really high. And I have nothing to run a balanced cable. I would say my best dap is the cowon d2+. But I run out of my tablet/ phone as well. And I do have a cx1993 dongle.

I hope this helps.

I sincerely believe that jazz deserves a great DIY.

But if you are interested in something prefab S€nf€r pt2021 or toneking TO600 or dendroaspis viridis you might like it a lot (TO600 can be a bit more exhausting). Colleagues will make you much more useful recommendations.

May 7, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #69,674 of 75,538
If you’re not going to do a DIY set, Yincrow X6 may do you well. I think FAAEAL Iris 2.0 may be too thick for jazz (without buying replacement foams)
Thank you very to the both of you.

DIY huh? I'll have to look into it. Don't really know where to start.

Question about the yincrow x6, isn't that a re branded video? Or the other way around? I just got the vldo. Its a tad on the brights side. I had to use the v shape preset in wavelet to make to more my liking. That earbud responds nicely to eq.

Thank you once again. I've got plenty to look into now.

Edit- one more question. Is there some type of easy trick to putting on foams? I tremors and putting them on is a pain.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #69,675 of 75,538

Users who are viewing this thread

Back