Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 23, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #68,821 of 75,861
Thank you for your response. Timbre for me is not so much the tonal balance of the sound but being able to hear the 'rattle / body' of the instrument or voice.

Sounds like the FF3 are amazing.
They really are! :)

Mar 23, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #68,822 of 75,861
Bit of an earbud adjacent question here... What do you all store/display your buds in? I'm at the point now where I need to start looking for a proper solution because at the minute I've basically got a big old bag filled with VE cases and it's becoming unruly. I've seen people use watch display cases and this seems like a fairly neat option but I was just wondering if I'm overlooking anything? I need something similar for IEMs too but my buds are my real babies. Thanks in advance.

Mar 23, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #68,823 of 75,861
Bit of an earbud adjacent question here... What do you all store/display your buds in? I'm at the point now where I need to start looking for a proper solution because at the minute I've basically got a big old bag filled with VE cases and it's becoming unruly. I've seen people use watch display cases and this seems like a fairly neat option but I was just wondering if I'm overlooking anything? I need something similar for IEMs too but my buds are my real babies. Thanks in advance.
I use a tackle box I got at Dick’s and Amazon (had a smaller one first, then upgraded as I got more stuff). I travel a lot and this makes it convenient to carry everything with me. It’s not perfect, but I like it. I’ve seen other people use watch cases, I think. Those look nice too.

Attachments

• 36EE76FA-E15E-4FDC-9566-04DB9B815BE9.jpeg
    36EE76FA-E15E-4FDC-9566-04DB9B815BE9.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • FF0F4255-68FC-47B6-86CF-F95CB31D25C7.jpeg
    FF0F4255-68FC-47B6-86CF-F95CB31D25C7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 23, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #68,824 of 75,861

If you're not too bothered about padding, jewellery boxes are pretty good, and come in a wide variety of dimensions.

I currently use these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08ZK6MSYT
which are big enough for all of my earbuds, but might be a little tight for larger IEMs or if you use thicker cables.

Watch boxes are pretty popular too.

Mar 23, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #68,825 of 75,861

I store my most used IEMs and earbuds in a watch box I bought for about $15.

4a1d57ba-b292-408c-9d79-d482f6ce347c.jpeg

Ah but let's keep this a secret, this is just the "display" box that my wife knows about. I have 3 - 4 other secret stashes of earbuds and IEMs hidden in drawers that my wife hasn't seen LOLOL.

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #68,829 of 75,861
Bit of an earbud adjacent question here... What do you all store/display your buds in?
Let me just say to those who have shared pics of their bud organizers...you folks are why I love Head-fi! :beerchug:

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #68,830 of 75,861
It's funny how DIY makes boutique buds totally irrelevant in the background in my grand scheme of things in this hobby, I've only heard a couple that can do anything against the SQ of DIY buds, and oh my god They cost a lot, a lot of money... I read all the pages in the thread, and I couldn't help but share this thought...

Mar 23, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #68,831 of 75,861
That is a great question... :)

I normally just store them in their repective cases on my speaker bar in my computer den. The overflow goes into a drawer of my computer desk...

20220807_181735.jpg

20220822_105333.jpg

Mar 23, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #68,832 of 75,861
Some foams feedback in re the X6:

Hiegi full covers: these are the thickest and softest I’ve tried so far. They enhance the bass on the X6 substantially. They also mute the treble a fair amount.

Venture Electronics full covers: these also enhance bass but not to quite the degree as the Hiegis. The treble is muted some, but again, not as much as the Hiegis. The VE covers come in a variety of colors. The red and orange ones seem to be the thinnest while the black and blue are thicker,

Trig Rain full covers: these are stiff and open. Almost more of a net than a foam. They’re surprisingly comfortable since they look scratchy but they aren’t. They feel pretty good in the ear. The main feature of these is that they leave the sound signature untouched. The X6 sounds basically naked with these on. So, while they aren’t especially useful on this set, should we ever get one that sounds great without foams but needs them for fit alone the Trig Rain is the go-to.

I haven’t tried any donut foams yet, but I suspect that the Hiegi donuts will be the mix of comfort, boosted bass and tamed treble I’m looking for.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #68,833 of 75,861
Some foams feedback in re the X6:

Hiegi full covers: these are the thickest and softest I’ve tried to far. They enhance the bass on the X6 substantially. They also mute the treble a fair amount.

Venture Electronics full covers: these also enhance bass but not to quite the degree as the Hiegis. The treble is muted some, but again, not as much as the Hiegis. The VE covers come in a variety of colors. The red and orange ones seem to be the thinnest while the black and blue are thicker,

Trig Rain full covers: these are stiff and open. Almost more of a net than a foam. They’re surprisingly comfortable since they look scratchy but they aren’t. They feel pretty good in the ear. The main feature of these is that they leave the sound signature untouched. The X6 sounds basically naked with these on. So, while they aren’t especially useful on this set, should we ever get one that sounds great without foams but needs them for fit alone the Trig Rain is the go-to.

I haven’t tried any donut foams yet, but I suspect that the Hiegi donuts will be the mix of comfort, boosted bass and tamed treble I’m looking for.
Very nice little comparison there.... Have you tried the 3 different FiiO foams yet? Those are amazing little foams that change things a lot with each set (to my ears).

The VE variety pack is (I think) the only set of foams that I have not tried thus far that are among the "popular" foams, but I have a set on their way from China. :)

Edit: If you are interested, @mt877 did a really nice density test using different foams on this thread a while back (can't remember if you had joined yet or not???). I can't tell you when off the top of my head, but you should be able to find it using search (unless @ mt877 has a quick link for it, that is). :)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #68,834 of 75,861
Very nice little comparison there.... Have you tried the 3 different FiiO foams yet? Those are amazing little foams that change things a lot with each set (to my ears).

The VE variety pack is (I think) the only set of foams that I have not tried thus far that are among the "popular" foams, but I have a set on their way from China. :)

Edit: If you are interested, @mt877 did a really nice density test using different foams on this thread a while back (can't remember if you had joined yet or not???). I can't tell you when off the top of my head, but you should be able to find it using search (unless @ mt877 has a quick link for it, that is). :)

Oh, good! I’ll dig that up. A comparison of densities would be super helpful.

And no, i haven’t tried all the FiiOs yet. I should have added those. I’ve only used the “mediums” so far and they seem to sit about half way between the Hiegis and the VEs.

Mar 23, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #68,835 of 75,861

Oh, good! I’ll dig that up. A comparison of densities would be super helpful.

And no, i haven’t tried all the FiiOs yet. I should have added those. I’ve only used the “mediums” so far and they seem to sit about half way between the Hiegis and the VEs.
Well, ya know I gotta reply if my nym is mentioned...

1st foam density measurements.
2nd foam density measurements.

The measuring methods and tool used were different between the 2 sets of measurements. The main thing is the density consistency of the foams. About the FiiO foams, I thought I had received 2 sets of balanced foams instead of 1 set of bass and 1 of balanced with my FF3 as the densities were about the same, but I've tried out the different foams and the bass foams enhance the bass, while the balance foams do exactly what they are named.

I was using light to measure the foam densities which probably isn't the best method but it does provide some 'useful' data for consistency of the different foams. I also measured my FF5 foams but didn't publish the results. The density numbers between the FF3 and FF5 foams are different, but are consistent for the batches I received if that makes sense. I think foam densities will be different for different manufacturing batches. This could be due to different foam making machines making different batches or other factors like foam disbursement nozzle size variations. Too many factors to consider, but you guys know what I mean.

I guess the most accurate way to measure how foams affect the sound of earbuds is with a frequency response graph, but there would be some inconsistencies as well. Just putting foams on earbuds is stretches the foams and we know that it could be difficult to put some foams on and may even stretch them more than usual to put them on. Also you would need to put new foams on with each measurement, so potentially you could go through many foams. Ah, the joy of it all...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back