Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 5, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #68,626 of 75,375
Quick question for those in the know: how are the Sennheiser mx470/mx475 compared to modern earbuds? I bought a couple pairs locally for very cheap, and am curious on how they compare to my Fiio ff3 which I'm liking quite a bit. My main headphones are vintage orthos and more recently Stax, but I love the convenience and soundstage of earbuds.

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #68,627 of 75,375
The shells themselves are great! I have used a couple pairs with other drivers on some DIY builds. They look great, they're easy to work with, and for me they sit in my ears more comfortably than MX500 shells for instance. Honestly, if you enjoy a good balanced tuning and you're not looking for something basshead or treblehead leaning then I think you'll enjoy the NSC 80s, but if you grab a pair make sure you come back and let me/us know how they work for you.

BTW, for anyone out there who's interested, I bought a couple extra pairs of them to give for presents and so that I could check to make sure the units sound reasonably similar since I started rec'ing them and all 3 pairs that I listened to have the same tuning/sonic profile so I don't think we have to worry too much about them sounding drastically different from pair to pair as I have noticed with some other budget buds.
P.S. For anyone considering the NSC Audio 80ohm LCPs, if you do any DIYing they're pretty much a no risk purchase because the shells and the 80ohm LCP drivers are both quality and basically cover the cost of the buds should you hate them and break them down to use their components in a build. That's basically what I was thinking when I decided to grab them.

As an example of using the metal shell, here's my latest build using the MMCX Metal Shell (same shell as the NSC Audio 80Ω LCPs) and 150Ω BG drivers. I'm rockin' these buds as I type right now.

Extremely easy to build and sound great!

First time builders looking for a great sounding DIY build should jump on this build.

Shopping list:

15.4mm MMCX Flat Earphones Earbuds Shell
DIY Silver plated Earphones Cable 3.5mm Upgraded MMCX Detachable Cable
15.4mm MX500 DIY 150 Ohm Speaker

150Ω BG MMCX Metal Shell.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #68,628 of 75,375
A warm and analoguish set that I still take out for a spin now and then is the Faaeal Rosemary. Big bass, not very technical. Something to chill and relax to. Needs amplification (150 ohms).
Thanks for the suggestion! I think that what I am looking for is a TOTL all-rounder, a bit warm, non-fatiguing treble, great resolution and timbre.

Mar 6, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #68,629 of 75,375
That sounds like TGXear Ripples or the Alpha, but the former is more suitable for you as it is a 150 Ohm driver so easy to drive off of the Megatron. I do this combo when I'm away from my desktop amp.

I listen to mainly jazz and sometimes vocals with the Ripples - highly recommended. Sound presentation is a lot more intimate than the Serratus, which makes the soundfield appear more dense, IMHO.

Alternatively, there are Rikubuds sets to consider. He offers a wide range of lower impedance but high performance earbuds.
Yes, another of Jim's buds would meet that description. But I'd like to try something more of an all rounder. I will contact Rikubuds, thanks.

Mar 6, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #68,630 of 75,375
We talked a while back about using an mmcx to mmcx connector to improve the fit while using a short stem bud with the UTWS5.

Here is the okcsc connector I bought paired with the Yincrow RW-3000. With this, the ear hooks lie just as nicely as they do with the FF5s.

20230306_152828.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #68,631 of 75,375
I think it is safe to say that as long as the amplifier in question has a fairly linear power output through different ranges, that (at least) 1.2W @32ohms or roughly 6.2VRMS should be able to drive them properly, at least up to 100dBSPL I would think.
Alright, now you've got me thinking about small amps. I'm retired, so am trying to keep things "minimalist," but.. the rabbit hole. So, am I right that the Schiit Magni+ or Vali could drive the Yinman 600s well, and also the Fiio K5 Pro? Any recommendations between those three? My tendency would be to go for the Magni+, as the most powerful. But then again, there's the question -- how much sense does it make to buy an amp basically for one earbud set (since I already have a VE Megatron)? Put the question another way -- would one of these small amps improve the sound of my other gear over the Megatron (Sundaras, HD58x, Serratus so far)?

Also, could you, or anyone, give me feedback on Yinman 600s vs Yincrow RW-3000? (EDIT: I see there is a lot of discussion about this comparison already on this thread, so I'm going to study that.)

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #68,632 of 75,375
Yes, another of Jim's buds would meet that description. But I'd like to try something more of an all rounder. I will contact Rikubuds, thanks.
Happy hunting! Let us know which one you settle on :)

Mar 6, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #68,633 of 75,375
Alright, now you've got me thinking about small amps. I'm retired, so am trying to keep things "minimalist," but.. the rabbit hole. So, am I right that the Schiit Magni+ or Vali could drive the Yinman 600s well, and also the Fiio K5 Pro? Any recommendations between those three? My tendency would be to go for the Magni+, as the most powerful. But then again, there's the question -- how much sense does it make to buy an amp basically for one earbud set (since I already have a VE Megatron)? Put the question another way -- would one of these small amps improve the sound of my other gear over the Megatron (Sundaras, HD58x, Serratus so far)?

Also, could you, or anyone, give me feedback on Yinman 600s vs Yincrow RW-3000? (EDIT: I see there is a lot of discussion about this comparison already on this thread, so I'm going to study that.)

Thanks for all your help!
Apologies for "tempting" you.. :wink:

As to your question, the Magni+ should be able to drive them properly IMO, though never having used one I am only going by the specs (on paper theory). And the Vali should also be able to push them well, as it has more power than the Magni+. As for the the FiiO, it has the same power output as the Vali does on paper anyhow (they don't show the power output @600 ohms, so it might not be linear).

Having said all of that, and only in my place, I would go for the Vali because it is a hybrid tube amp. It doesn't have THE best technicalities compared to much higher end stuff, but the numbers actually look really good for the price they are asking. For instance, the SNR (on low gain) is 114dB, which is really good for that price. And having the ability to "tube roll" in a really cheap amp is somewhat of a miracle nowadays. Of course, YMMV for this. It won't be true tube as it is a hybrid (so you get the best of both worlds IMO).

I will say this about your other sets. All three of those you listed will benefit from more power (especially the Sundara). Planar phones are notoriously harder to drive than most people realize (even given the specs). They will sound pretty good from a phone but feed them well and they grow big and strong (they scale very nicely).

I still hold firm that the Yinman, when driven properly, are REALLY hard to beat as an earbud. If you like the Hifiman and Sennheiser "house" tuning, then you will more than likely love the Yinman IMHO, though the RW3000 are TOTL too. At this point I don't really think one is better than the other per se'. It is more like what you prefer most of the time. For me the Yinman are the all-rounder that puts them a bit ahead of all the rest of the TOTL buds (that I also love).

I WILL add this about the RW3000 though, even though I have gotten used to it myself. They DO have a boosted pina and can become fatiguing if you are sensitive to that region (which you have probably already read that I am). It isn't something crazy, but it is enough to make them a bit shouty (especially with volume), and especially compared to the Yinman. There is just nothing offensive about the Yinman IMO.

Edit: Apologies! The Magni+ has 15mW more power at 600ohms and 300ohms, so you were right in that it is a bit more powerful, though I think at that point it is negligible; at least for the purpose you are looking at it for (it is much more powerful at lower impedances). And if you want better DNR and SNR then the Magni+ is also better. Output impedance is a touch higher on the Vali, but will make no difference to you because you don't seem to have any low (enough) impedance gear that will be effected by this stat.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #68,634 of 75,375
I wanna solder a KZ bluetooth module to earbuds, but I can only make one speaker to work.

There are 4 cables in the bt module on each side: blue, green, red and orange. In both speakers, I soldered the red cable to the side marked with a red dot, and the orange cable to the other side. I swaped speakers in case one was broken, but only the right side of the bluetooth module would work.

Do I have to do something with the green and blue cables?

This guy on reddit made it with KSC75.
cjg8ph1idfy11.jpg

Mar 6, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #68,635 of 75,375
I wanna solder a KZ bluetooth module to earbuds, but I can only make one speaker to work.

There are 4 cables in the bt module on each side: blue, green, red and orange. In both speakers, I soldered the red cable to the side marked with a red dot, and the orange cable to the other side. I swaped speakers in case one was broken, but only the right side of the bluetooth module would work.

cjg8ph1idfy11.jpg
I think you really need the pinout of the BT adapter to know for sure, because there doesn't have to be any rhyme or reason to their coloring in the wires used on their side. Those colors seem more like a thermostat than they do an electronic component... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 6, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #68,636 of 75,375

cjg8ph1idfy11.jpg
I think you really need the pinout of the BT adapter to know for sure, because there doesn't have to be any rhyme or reason to their coloring in the wires used on their side. Those colors seem more like a thermostat than they do an electronic component... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
^ This.

You may have to try blue/green on the other. Or a combination of blue/orange, green/red, etc.

You could also try and dissect the original ends to see what colors were used.

Mar 6, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #68,637 of 75,375
^ This.

You may have to try blue/green on the other. Or a combination of blue/orange, green/red, etc.

You could also try and dissect the original ends to see what colors were used.
Also, if you're careful, you should be able to measure voltage across the correct wires while powered on and playing some sound. I would only do this if you can't find the correct pin-out though (so as to not accidentally short something out). As always, YMMV. :wink:

Mar 6, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #68,638 of 75,375
As an example of using the metal shell, here's my latest build using the MMCX Metal Shell (same shell as the NSC Audio 80Ω LCPs) and 150Ω BG drivers. I'm rockin' these buds as I type right now.

Extremely easy to build and sound great!

First time builders looking for a great sounding DIY build should jump on this build.

Shopping list:

15.4mm MMCX Flat Earphones Earbuds Shell
DIY Silver plated Earphones Cable 3.5mm Upgraded MMCX Detachable Cable
15.4mm MX500 DIY 150 Ohm Speaker

150Ω BG MMCX Metal Shell.jpg
Those look fantastic, BTW bro! :)

Mar 6, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #68,639 of 75,375
Those look fantastic, BTW bro! :)
Thanks Bro! I owe the fine looks to NSC Audio store. If I put them next to the NSC Audio 80 LCPs I couldn't tell the difference except the 80 LCPs have a metal speaker grill and the 150 BGs have the typical plastic MX500 cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back