Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 18, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #67,831 of 75,297
Hey! So I’ve been trying to figure out if there’s something that’s basically the monk plus but with more bass for a while, from what I’ve read I might have to go all the way to the fiio ff3, which is kinda expensive for earbuds x.x

I have the yincrow x6 and qian 39 too and I hate them lol, they have giant peaks and deeps in the fr, the monk is the only warm mid centric earbud with a smooth fr I’ve heard but I feel it could be better resolution and bass wise so idk…

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #67,832 of 75,297
I’ve been looking at Beryllium drivers these past couple of days, specifically the 600 ohm model. Is there a difference in quality between different “Brand Name" or are they made by the same manufacturer? I do notice that the GHXamp model has the red dot on the right side, whereas the others have it on the left side. I want to make sure I chose the correct driver, also for future reference.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #67,833 of 75,297
I’ve been looking at Beryllium drivers these past couple of days, specifically the 600 ohm model. Is there a difference in quality between different “Brand Name" or are they made by the same manufacturer? I do notice that the GHXamp model has the red dot on the right side, whereas the others have it on the left side. I want to make sure I chose the correct driver, also for future reference.

They are all the same. Red dot can be on left or the right side, because on the both sides + should be wired where the dot is( its not important if its left or right. Some KAPH driver variants come with no dots for example).

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #67,834 of 75,297

Actually the picture you put up of the GHXamp 600Ω is showing red dot on the left, while all the others are red dot on the right... it could be GHXamp store photoshop'd the drivers and shells from 2 different pictures with the drivers reverse imaged(?). My reference position is with the glue at 6 o'clock position for all drivers.

Edit: the drivers aren't reverse imaged. I took a closer look at the lettering on the driver pcb and the letters aren't reversed. Anyway, be assured they match the other drivers.

Having said that, in reality the GHXamp drivers also have the red dot on the right as do all the other drivers from different stores. Here's a pic of the ones I got from GHXamp store. Yep, they came in a nice plastic case.

Ghxamp 600Ω.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #67,835 of 75,297

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg
Also, another point (though may just be irrelevant), watch out for the ones that call the driver 600ohm, but are actually less because they use a resistor on them to reach said impedance. This is where the advice of the experts (having used brand XX or brand YY) comes into play. :) While there is nothing inherently wrong with those drivers, they will most likely not sound as good as a pure 600ohm driver (IMHO).

Jan 19, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #67,836 of 75,297
Hey guys! First time posting in this thread!
I recently bought a Megatron, and got a pair of Monk + with it.
I've mostly been a big cans users for years, and recently got into IEMs, but I really liked the Monk +, considering how little it costs, and I decided to give earbuds a try again, after not touching those since high school in the 90's :D
So I've been wondering, what would be a good upgrade to the Monk + around 50-70 bucks ?
I'm looking for something that is either neutral or has a bit of oomph to the bass (if that exists, I do realize that bass isn't earbuds strong point).
If I understand correctly, the Calf could be a good option but I'm really not a fan of brightness.

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #67,837 of 75,297
I've mostly been a big cans users for years, and recently got into IEMs, but I really liked the Monk +, considering how little it costs, and I decided to give earbuds a try again, after not touching those since high school in the 90's :D
So I've been wondering, what would be a good upgrade to the Monk + around 50-70 bucks ?
I'm looking for something that is either neutral or has a bit of oomph to the bass (if that exists, I do realize that bass isn't earbuds strong point).
If I understand correctly, the Calf could be a good option but I'm really not a fan of brightness.
Yeah looking for the exact same thing, most earbuds seem to be too bright leaning 😔

Jan 19, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #67,838 of 75,297
Jan 19, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #67,840 of 75,297
Toneking to150 is not really super budget at 40€ but doesn't break the bank and is super polite without being "dark", still in stock.

The stock cable is not great though
Ha! That's a nice coincidence, it was recommended to me by a friend a few minutes ago :D I kinda like how rugged it looks.
Too bad about the cable though, but I don't mind getting a better one for it.
Time to look for a straight MMCX cable, I guess.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #67,841 of 75,297
Ha! That's a nice coincidence, it was recommended to me by a friend a few minutes ago :D I kinda like how rugged it looks.
Too bad about the cable though, but I don't mind getting a better one for it.
Time to look for a straight MMCX cable, I guess.

The openheart black&brown ones are nice imho, not sticky, not tangly etc.

Edit: apparently they only do a mic version now, but this should be more or less the same and cheaper : https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800605205855.html

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #67,842 of 75,297
oh yeah, forgot about the new year,
The openheart black&brown ones are nice imho, not sticky, not tangly etc.

Edit: apparently they only do a mic version now, but this should be more or less the same and cheaper
ha, they seem to be out of stock, but I'm in no hurry, especially considering it's currently new year.
Thank you for the recommendation!

Jan 19, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #67,843 of 75,297
Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #67,845 of 75,297
For about $12 more than your listed max, you can get the FiiO FF3. They have some of the best bass in an earbud (IMHO). You might be able to get them a bit cheaper if you search AE hard enough. I trust this store on AE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back