Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 30, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #65,551 of 75,620
Well, having spoken with you a time or two, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: it seems as though you haven't picked too many "clunkers" to this point. You must have some kind of earbud ESP or something. LOL

But, yes that seems a mighty good deal to me, and again luck seems to have favored you. Maybe I should have you pick my next lottery numbers. :yum: Well, OK. I guess you have to actually play the lottery to win it don't you?
I remember reading good things about it as well that sounded similar to how @JAnonymous5150 described it.

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #65,552 of 75,620
Precisely why I took a chance on the NSC Audio 80ohm LCP buds that he and I are referring to in those posts. LCP drivers are definitely one of my favorites in buds/IEMs when they're done well and, IMO, the buds NSC put out with those drivers in them are done pretty well.
I really want to try the 300 Ohm version of that driver. All the LCP I’ve tried so far are very good drivers. I little harder to get a good soundstage out of, but it’s certainly doable.

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #65,553 of 75,620
I really want to try the 300 Ohm version of that driver. All the LCP I’ve tried so far are very good drivers. I little harder to get a good soundstage out of, but it’s certainly doable.

Obviously, I haven't done an earbud with LCP drivers yet, but I have used them in DIY over ear applications and in a pair of DIY IEMs I put together.

I tried a 40mm and 50mm LCP driver in over ears and when moving up to that larger size I found the tuning to be much more finicky. You really have to work on the damping, dampening, baffles, and vents to get them to come alive, open up, and not come across as overly smooth and sluggish. In closed backs the soundstage is claustrophobic until you get the vents and damping in particular working in harmony to let the driver move enough air without losing control and allowing it to become boomy and bloated. When you get it right and find the driver's sweet spot you know it because they really sing and the sound junps from mediocre to something really special. I gifted that pair to my bassist/BFF and am thrilled at how often he uses them and shows them off to people.

With smaller 10mm LCP drivers I used in my IEM experiment, they're much better out of the box, so to speak, and they don't have the tendency towards sluggishness and overly thick note weight that the larger versions do. I did have trouble getting the soundstage pushed out as far as I would normally have liked, but how much of that had to do with the drivers and how much to do with the natural limitations of the IEM medium and my own lack of expertise, I'm not sure.

Sep 30, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #65,555 of 75,620
Yep. I believe it is every first Tuesday of the month IIRC. Good call sir!

Edit: Wait, they said on FB before it was every first Tuesday of the month. I just realized that the 2nd is on a Sunday... Ineresting.
Hello everyone,
I'm thinking of buying the Smabat M4 + one module driver (promo day 2 october).
Which one do you think I should buy ?
I was thinking of the Yellow ST10S 150ohm, advised for classical music.
About the sound I like : I love my FF3 and Toneking Viridis.
Thanks for your answers.:relaxed:

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #65,556 of 75,620
Obviously, I haven't done an earbud with LCP drivers yet, but I have used them in DIY over ear applications and in a pair of DIY IEMs I put together.

I tried a 40mm and 50mm LCP driver in over ears and when moving up to that larger size I found the tuning to be much more finicky. You really have to work on the damping, dampening, baffles, and vents to get them to come alive, open up, and not come across as overly smooth and sluggish. In closed backs the soundstage is claustrophobic until you get the vents and damping in particular working in harmony to let the driver move enough air without losing control and allowing it to become boomy and bloated. When you get it right and find the driver's sweet spot you know it because they really sing and the sound junps from mediocre to something really special. I gifted that pair to my bassist/BFF and am thrilled at how often he uses them and shows them off to people.

With smaller 10mm LCP drivers I used in my IEM experiment, they're much better out of the box, so to speak, and they don't have the tendency towards sluggishness and overly thick note weight that the larger versions do. I did have trouble getting the soundstage pushed out as far as I would normally have liked, but how much of that had to do with the drivers and how much to do with the natural limitations of the IEM medium and my own lack of expertise, I'm not sure.
My experience with the earbud ones puts them more in the over ear camp. Not a huge deal and maybe not to the same degree, but it can be tuned out of them or left in as an “feature” because they are easy to listen to.
A little help for DIY beginners.
The best drag and drop drivers are 32 BG and 32 TI comp red dot. Stock (does not require any tuning)
Definitely. Of course they can get better balanced with some tuning though, but many people seem to really enjoy them stock.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #65,557 of 75,620
I've got a newish 3.5 SE version up for sale in the classifieds. Switched my sources over to 4.4 and liked the Chaconne so much that I repurchased a 4.4 version. So good for instrumental music. Just wish for removable cables at that price range...

Has anyone else noticed that their gold plating at the end of the nozzle wore off quite quickly? Mine has, but the seller says that's normal.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #65,561 of 75,620
With good tuning LCP are great
I can totally agree with that one. My FQL Blackhole Redux are LCP drivers, and they are amazing IMHO.
Hello everyone,
I'm thinking of buying the Smabat M4 + one module driver (promo day 2 october).
Which one do you think I should buy ?
I was thinking of the Yellow ST10S 150ohm, advised for classical music.
About the sound I like : I love my FF3 and Toneking Viridis.
Thanks for your answers.:relaxed:
For classical music I would actually recommend the Super One 100ohm driver for the M4, or the stock driver. The 150Ti driver is more mid recessed than the others.... YMMV though.
I've got a newish 3.5 SE version up for sale in the classifieds. Switched my sources over to 4.4 and liked the Chaconne so much that I repurchased a 4.4 version. So good for instrumental music. Just wish for removable cables at that price range...

Has anyone else noticed that their gold plating wore off quite quickly? Mine has, but the seller says that's normal.
Are you talking about on the connectors for the Chaconne? I have not noticed this on my set (which I listen to quite a bit). If you don't mind me asking, who is the seller? Are they an "authorized" Moondrop seller?

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #65,564 of 75,620
Ksearphone DB1E got massive price drop from the original 199$ (2 weeks ago on release) to 119$ today. Now it looks tempting

Somehow I missed that there was a difference between the DB1 and DB1E so I was thinking you meant the DB1 had somehow been dropped to $119 from its regular $319. Yup, I'm an idiot and for a few seconds I was a really excited idiot and then I looked it up. Stupid Google always killin' my fun...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back