Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 29, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #65,506 of 75,282
I didn’t realize we needed to be head-fi credentialed to post here… (appeal to authority! come on… we are better than that - this is an anonymous Internet forum after all)

A forum shouldn’t be a popularity contest - for me it is a legitimate place to learn from people who have more experience or knowledge with a particular medium than I myself have. I don’t need to have daily posting numbers as if Head-fi is my job in order to make a valid contribution.

So I am happy to sit back and passively learn from people like @WoodyLuvr as I appreciate his knowledge and willingness to share this openly to help advance a hobby. As I am an earbud novice I don’t blindly offer information on things I do not know about. When I have enough knowledge of earbuds to make a valuable contribution that may change. Until then - I limit my contribution to topics I am able to add information to.

No one was targeting you - you made an assertion and I offered some factual context.

And what was your point here… that people don’t generally master in DSD due to R2R…? I was unaware that R2R represented such a high proportion of DAC sales instead of it being an expensive niche… Could an alternative reason be due to streaming services only accepting Wav files and hardly any offering DSD…? Or many DAWs not working with DSD directly…? Hence the non-“irrelevant” clarification.

Yes - DSD mastering also happens (in smaller and smaller numbers) but I didn’t feel like I needed to clarify that as that is exactly what you stated in your post and that part was correct.

What information have you cited…? - I am always happy to further educate myself but it seems to just have been broad sweeping statements or analogies that you have provided.

Further, these are not really points to argue, it’s factual information or where results could be subjective I stated YMMV. I am not really sure I said anything controversial since you seem to agree with most of what I said when you write it out as an analogy but seem to want to suggest you don’t solely as I clarified your point…

Please, do not pre-judge everyone by your own standards or misconceptions. What do they call assumption - the mother of all *** ups…

I asked because I genuinely came here to educate myself so I was actually interested in checking it out / why I didn’t ignore it (I would hope you would have browsed at least, the links I posted to you) and asked you if you could repost it. Good to know you are also clairvoyant and understand my motivations better than myself though…

Why would I argue about something I have now multiple times stated solves a technical shortcoming. Are you actually reading the posts…

Just because someone disagrees with you or provides information on something doesn’t mean you need to shut down. It’s OK to not know everything or be incorrect on something. Being open minded is hardly a problem.

How do you know you are correct…
Bold assertion.

Because so far people can’t use science, can’t use evidence and they also better not post information or opinion in any forum you are a member of unless they have at least contributed an arbitrary number of posts regardless of topic and they most importantly agree with you…

I am sorry you feel this way. That was not my intention and that is why I constantly qualified (where appropriate). I was not attacking you personally in any way. Providing information is not schooling someone - it is just providing information. Please don’t project.

Happy right here. Sorry if that triggers you - you may need to find a new safe space

Your not honestly complaining about a post length - how long have you been in this thread - there have been some absurdly long posts here and no one ever cares.

Sharing knowledge is hardly being elitist.
Please stop attributing everything to malice and taking things so personal.

As you can see the OP actually continued engaging in a completely normal manner and my reply to him was cordial where I asked about the sources to see if I could add to his individual query and he has subsequently replied listing them. Why is that “flexing” but your forum contribution seemingly isn’t…?

I came here to get factual information about this hobby - seems we are both disappointed.

Wow… daddy issues???

Is that not exactly what you are trying to do to me here - “Don’t come in here and try and “talk down” to me”
What makes you so special…?

Please do, as I said before please excuse me and correct me if I am wrong, I am always happy to educate myself further. But again what is it we are disagreeing on other than I offered some technical clarifications and you have become offended that your authority has been seemingly questioned.

Not what you said above - notice that I have never stated “you are wrong” anywhere in my posts.

The original question was your statement responding to the OP stating that sources sound differently and he doesn’t understand. You provided some suggestions and I clarified them.

Maybe ask the OP if it was pertinent since he has responded to it. Just because you don’t see it as having value does not mean that everyone is the same. By the same token I could have said the same about your posts about colleges, life stories or music suggestions you have made in this thread since they are irrelevant to most people - but that is not how the earbud community or thread works - or so I thought.

Grow up

Just wanting to listen or talk solely to people that agree with you makes a person’s worldview very small - SMH.

I don’t know how blocking works in head-fi (never used), but I don’t think he can read what you wrote, mate. Maybe let it go? :dt880smile:

What brings you to this thread? Looking to buy something or build something?

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #65,507 of 75,282
For anyone wondering if the TRN EMXs have the same bery driver as the Fiio FF3s, I asked Fiio's support and was told by the rep that they'd inquire with their R&D and production teams and get back to me.

Well, I finally got a response wherein the rep says that the Beryllium driver used in the FF3 is a Fiio in-house design created by their R&D people specifically for the FF series flathead project and that it hasn't been licensed for use by any other manufacturer in their earbuds.

That seems like a pretty definitive answer. I haven't heard the EMXs so I don't know if this parallel was drawn based on sound or just because it's a Bery driver with the same diameter. If the later is the case, Bery drivers have become super common so it doesn't surprise me that there might be more than one model floating around in a given diameter. If the comparison is because the EMXs purportedly sound similar then I guess that's just a coincidence if Fiio is to be believed and I have no reason not to believe them.

Anyways, just figured I'd share the info/answer for anyone who's interested.

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #65,508 of 75,282
No, I just do expect people to be respectful of others when they comment. Just think before you post “does that sound like a slight or can that easily be interpreted in a negative light given the context?” I did try to explain to you politely why your statement was a slight and you tried to say you were just being blunt because you are a Swede/Japanese. That’s actually when I got annoyed. Anywhere I’ve ever been when you tell someone that they need to do something to be good enough, wether you know if they’re good or not, it means you don’t think they are good. You have admitted you don’t know of me, so what would make you think such a thing? I know plenty of Swedes and Hundreds of Japanese. I’ve never heard any of them say anything like that unless they are intentionally slighting someone. It would be different if we knew each other. Nonetheless, it’s water under the bridge as far as I’m concerned and I’m glad I saved you some money. Hopefully you can spend that money on something you enjoy like some crazy good ramen or udon.

Off topic, so best to keep it in a
I meant nothing disrespectful by the comment and had no idea if you were experienced or a beginner. Swedes can be a bit unpolished sometimes, and perhaps the internet enhances that. I was more surprised by your reaction. Anthropology and comparative cultural studies was my major at university and I find the concept of national characters interesting (I do not work with Anthropology but still have an interest in that general field). National characters are not based on exact science and do not have anything to do directly with Antropology or Ethnography, but there is still some truth to them when you start looking at them.

You are probably familiar with the Japanese terms tatemae and honne. In Swedish we have expressions like "knyta näven i fickan" ("make a fist in your pocket" -> even if someone becomes irritated they keep it to themselves and do not show it to others). A Japanese might have replied "Hai, gambarimasu!" to my comment. A Swede might have replied "Thanks. But actually I have been doing this for a while. I'm really not a beginner." In both Japanese and Swedish culture keeping the harmony in the group is important. Admitted, Swedes are much more socially inept than Japanese.

For both Japanese and Swedes, traditionally the group has come first and the individual second. In northern Europe you historically have had to be a part of the group to survive. Being ostracized could mean death during winter, and ostracism and social exclusion is still common as a form of informal punishment in groups. Americans are more focused on the individual while Japanese and Swedes are more focused on the group. Traditionally that is. With people being able to meet people from other countries and experience other cultures and ways of thinking that slowly change how people are. Also cultural influences from for example popular culture such as TV and movies. For example: traditionally when getting married, a groom and bride in Sweden have always walked up to the altar together. They are grown people who have chosen to marry each other. More and more young people have grown up with American TV-shows and when getting married, it is not unusual among young people to have the father of the bride hand her over to her groom. That symbolic "daughter belonging to her father and then to her husband" has been a strange concept for Swedes and still is for most people over 40, but is slowly becoming normal for younger generations.

Anyway, my point with bringing up Japanese and Swedes was that in my experience and knowledge a Japanese or Swede would have corrected me in another way and I am used to more subtle ways to correct me in case I do something that can be considered wrong or insensitive.

Thanks. I fear that the money I save on the Smabat and the 7HZ Beatles will be spent on something else. Should save it for the coming months, that might become difficult for us in Europe...

Being a vegetarian for over 25 years has made eating out in Japan a bit difficult. I usually accept to consume udon that uses dashi as soup base when in Japan. Not much to do about that since there are not any alternatives. This last trip this summer I noticed that there are a bit more vegetarian options than before. Mos Burger has started to sell a "plant based" burger (stupid name for vegetarian burger). Royal Host has got a vegetarian curry. You can find vegetarian soy based fake meat even in supermarkets (I still prefer fried tofu or natto to fake soy meat while in Japan).

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #65,509 of 75,282
For anyone wondering if the TRN EMXs have the same bery driver as the Fiio FF3s, I asked Fiio's support and was told by the rep that they'd inquire with their R&D and production teams and get back to me.

Well, I finally got a response wherein the rep says that the Beryllium driver used in the FF3 is a Fiio in-house design created by their R&D people specifically for the FF series flathead project and that it hasn't been licensed for use by any other manufacturer in their earbuds.

That seems like a pretty definitive answer. I haven't heard the EMXs so I don't know if this parallel was drawn based on sound or just because it's a Bery driver with the same diameter. If the later is the case, Bery drivers have become super common so it doesn't surprise me that there might be more than one model floating around in a given diameter. If the comparison is because the EMXs purportedly sound similar then I guess that's just a coincidence if Fiio is to be believed and I have no reason not to believe them.

I would be disappointed if the FF3 sounds like EMX. I can only describe the EMX as lacking body. The instruments appear more like projections than having an actual physical presence. Different foams make no difference. Perhaps a silicon ring might? But even pushing them into my ears does not give the instruments more weight.
I do not really believe in difference in cables, but ordered a cheap copper cable to see if there is any difference from the silver plated copper cable that was included. Better safe than sorry?

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #65,510 of 75,282

Interesting that Fiio doesn’t just ignore your question about sourcing of their drivers. It shows their confidence in their craft, I presume.

I would be disappointed if the FF3 sounds like EMX. I can only describe the EMX as lacking body. The instruments appear more like projections than having an actual physical presence. Different foams make no difference. Perhaps a silicon ring might? But even pushing them into my ears does not give the instruments more weight.
I do not really believe in difference in cables, but ordered a cheap copper cable to see if there is any difference from the silver plated copper cable that was included. Better safe than sorry?

If you were somewhere nearby, I would measure that EMX for you. I guess it would show a lot of upper midrange and little lower midrange. “Female poison” tuning that some Chi-Fi companies like, I guess?

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #65,511 of 75,282
If you were somewhere nearby, I would measure that EMX for you. I guess it would show a lot of upper midrange and little lower midrange. “Female poison” tuning that some Chi-Fi companies like, I guess?

At least earbuds with more focus on upper midrange or treble lends some sort of "body" to the instruments. Celsus Gramo One, Rose Mojito and Moondrop Liebesleid were a bit too sharp for my liking and I sold them all (for some strange reason I bought a second pair of Liebesleid this summer to give them a second chance - but I still feel the same about them). EMX has also got a sort of strange metallic type of sheen over the music. Cannot describe it in any other way. It makes instruments not sound natural and combined with poor fit there is no real bass presence.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #65,512 of 75,282
I don’t know how blocking works in head-fi (never used), but I don’t think he can read what you wrote, mate. Maybe let it go? :dt880smile:

What brings you to this thread? Looking to buy something or build something?
Hey chap - no worries as long as it’s there for others to see - I feel content. And hopefully now we can get back to buds.

I will check out your source issue and come back on that if your still interested…

Long time reader of the thread if the truth be told. Already done a couple of builds but once you start it seems that you are then always in the process of building another.

Also just happy to see what buds are rated and/or new.

Serratus is October’s pick up.
Interested in trying out the new shells on Rikubuds mk2 sets so will probs pick up:
1) Assassin 2 for the new shell as it seems most new Grand editions will use it
2) Alter Rider 1 to compare against my Grand Rider 1

Fiio FF3 in 11.11 sale

Anything you looking at or just focusing on the building?

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #65,513 of 75,282
Hey chap - no worries as long as it’s there for others to see - I feel content. And hopefully now we can get back to buds.

I will check out your source issue and come back on that if your still interested…

Long time reader of the thread if the truth be told. Already done a couple of builds but once you start it seems that you are then always in the process of building another.

Also just happy to see what buds are rated and/or new.

Serratus is October’s pick up.
Interested in trying out the new shells on Rikubuds mk2 sets so will probs pick up:
1) Assassin 2 for the new shell as it seems most new Grand editions will use it
2) Alter Rider 1 to compare against my Grand Rider 1

Fiio FF3 in 11.11 sale

Anything you looking at or just focusing on the building?

Ooh, Serratus! If FF5 craps out, that one would be my priority.

I have a full set of Smabat M4 coming in a couple days (finger crossed that the postoffice would not lose my package again). I plan to do a thorough analysis and review of that set, so it’s going to consume most of my hobby time.

My goal with DIY is to build the most resolving and “large sounding” buds possible. Essentially, I dream of a more comfortable and more resolving FF3 without losing that beautiful bass and midrange.

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #65,514 of 75,282
A simple and cheap 32 Ohm, but with exceptional performance, I love them, and the more I use them, the addiction increases.

80.jpg

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #65,515 of 75,282
I consider myself a lurker in this thread, largely because I don't get much time to post, but I enjoy reading the regular exchanges that happen here and while this isn't directed at anyone in particular, I feel we need to inject some positivity!

What are we enjoying this week? Any new buds or bud-related paraphernalia?
hey fellow lurker

somewhat recently received a pair of berserker 2's from @RikudouGoku and have been daily driving them since. ever since i went all in on earbuds, i hadn't realized how much i missed the bass quantities i could get from other form factors. this set scratches an itch none of my earbuds can and its no slouch in other sq departments. super enjoyable pair, easy recommendation.

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #65,516 of 75,282
hey fellow lurker

somewhat recently received a pair of berserker 2's from @RikudouGoku and have been daily driving them since. ever since i went all in on earbuds, i hadn't realized how much i missed the bass quantities i could get from other form factors. this set scratches an itch none of my earbuds can and its no slouch in other sq departments. super enjoyable pair, easy recommendation.

Hey man, this is very useful! I was actually eyeing up the Beserker 2 and a few others from @RikudouGoku. Saving my cash for my next prospect! :)

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #65,517 of 75,282
Hey man, this is very useful! I was actually eyeing up the Beserker 2 and a few others from @RikudouGoku. Saving my cash for my next prospect! :)
look forward to hearing your thoughts once you get your hands on a pair!

the recent boom in diy has been incredibly inspiring

Sep 29, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #65,518 of 75,282
Ooh, Serratus! If FF5 craps out, that one would be my priority.
I've been thinking the same. It sounds like the Serratus would be a great complement to my otherwise base oriented lineup.

Sep 29, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #65,519 of 75,282
look forward to hearing your thoughts once you get your hands on a pair!

the recent boom in diy has been incredibly inspiring

It really has. Good ears, collective insight and individual ingenuity are driving things forward at a pace. I'm looking forward to see how things develop. The Serratus and Alpha have been on constant rotation for me. Serratus for holography and resolution to enjoy complex modern stuff and the Alpha for timbre and noteweight for more moody jazz. The eargain on both is just right for my tolerance, just enough sweet clarity but nothing too shouty. Heaven!

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #65,520 of 75,282
A simple and cheap 32 Ohm, but with exceptional performance, I love them, and the more I use them, the addiction increases.

80.jpg

Oh wow. The matching between the earpieces and the plug is so great. I like the earthy tone cable matching with the leather cable wrap thingy. The red and blue gems (?) to distinguish left and right buds are great idea too. Inspiring :thumbsup:

Can those 32 ohm drivers compete with high impedance ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back