Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 24, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #65,221 of 75,149
I have just barely had time to listen to each a little bit today and I have to say these were worth the wait! What you've done here is truly impressive. I was amazed at how long they sat at customs for, but just when I was finally thinking I needed to look into calling people about them the earbuds came through. You've given me what seems to be two perfectly complentary pairs of earbuds and I can't wait to have more time to listen to them. Thank you very, very much!

The Zoomfred Pro might need some burn in. Here's a post from someone who bought a pair 4 years ago:
I went with ZoomFred Pro as Herry from Cypherus Audio suggested after I told him that I want something portable and the least microphonic. Just got them yesterday, so burning them in.
Not sure if burn-in is a thing or it's mainly the brain/ears which are getting used to a new sound signature, but the first few songs they sounded like a $1 fake apple earbuds: plastic, muddy, boomy.
An hour later there was already a volume around head, all frequencies appeared. Then I turned on some symphonic orchestra and got amazed how I hear every instrument and every frequency, how full is the sound.
Today throughout the day, I start to hear more mids, electric guitars start to "jh-jh" as they should, also the instruments and singers are moving further and further away from the head - the stage is expanding. Herry suggested 300 hours of burn-in, so I am looking forward to see how they will transform in the end.

I always burn in new earbuds even if I am not convinced 100% it is a real thing (it might be what goaud27 writes, that your brain and ears adjust). But I still do it to be on the safe side...

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #65,222 of 75,149
Dude! How are you not hitting up that venue every freakin' week!

Smart bands will keep playing the small shows in all of the out of the way towns they can between bigger shows and tours. You'll never find a more grateful group of fans than those in a small town who got to see a band they love perform at their local dive with only a couple hundred people there. Those are the stories people tell for decades that earn a band an awesome rep and a loyal fanbase. Epic stadium and festival sets are cool for sure, but they're fewer and further between and they're less personal.

As a musician, I love playing smaller shows and then getting to have a few beers with fans or even just kick it out back by the bus while out equipment gets loaded up. Plus, at a lot of the smaller venues we play we go to them year after year (partly so you don't end up playing empty shows at terrible places lol) and you'll see the same faces show up again and again. It's so gratifying to get to know fans that have dug your band and supported your band for years and, in return, continuing to play these smaller, more accessible shows are one of the best ways to pay those fans back. You gotta let them know that they haven't been left behind.

I think many of the best groups out there know this. Playing small venues in big cities for super popular bands can turn into a riot so playing small shows in small towns can become the only feasible way to play those kinds of sets for bigger acts. It ends up working out for the fans and the bands.
Oh, believe me, I AM planning on hitting the place every chance I get. But as I said they JUST started up when the pandemic hit... The building had been setting empty (mostly, they had some worship groups occupy the place once in a while), because the person that bought it wanted originally to turn it into a strip joint. City government stopped that by not allowing him to get a liquor license. So, it actually set empty for many years. Finally, he changed it to a performance venue, and he was granted his liquor license and started attracting big names, that never really got to perform.... until now!

DUDE! I'm going to see Drowning Pool and the others... :)

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #65,223 of 75,149
IMG_2389.jpg

Away from home for a field experiment. These are the only gears I brought with me.

Hopefully when I am back, the M4 set and the Megatron would be waiting.

Sep 24, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #65,224 of 75,149
Coo! I just PM'd him in insta!

I haven't gotten around to it yet, but will once I decide what to ask him for as far as sound signature for recommendations go. I'm thinking about the kind of bud I'd like to add to my collection so it gets used rather than being redundant. I haven't had a ton of time for considering as I have been at this studio for like 89 of the last 96 hours! About to head home in a bit, grab a shower and some shut eye, and then I'll figure it out...

Sep 24, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #65,225 of 75,149
Sep 24, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #65,226 of 75,149
Hi Herry! I'm fine thanks. And you? The family was able to go to Japan this summer so the kids could see their grandmother for the first time since 2019. During the pandemic I didn't buy any earbuds, but this summer I went to e-earphone in Akihabara and bought second hand pairs of Moondrop Chaconne and Liebesleid and now I feel like trying out new earbuds for the first time since 2019.
Japan is opening up to tourists so I hope you can go soon and stock up on gear for your audio projects. Are you working on new earbuds? By the way, e-earphone has moved again. Now they are in the front of the chuo dori/big street, on the opposite side of the building they used to be. You enter from the street and there are 4-5 levels with different stuff.
Thank you for the info Dan…
I’m eager to come to Japan since Covid started haha. Yes, projects has been stop because I wasn’t able to source the components outside from Japan.

Yes, I have new earphone, Crescendo in line.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #65,227 of 75,149
Heads-up! @ian91 and I have made a minor update to the Sound Signature Chart (rev 9.1 now) that better clarifies the x-axis. Please see our in-depth sound signature chart post here or simply go straight to the chart here.

Sep 24, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #65,229 of 75,149
I haven't gotten around to it yet, but will once I decide what to ask him for as far as sound signature for recommendations go. I'm thinking about the kind of bud I'd like to add to my collection so it gets used rather than being redundant. I haven't had a ton of time for considering as I have been at this studio for like 89 of the last 96 hours! About to head home in a bit, grab a shower and some shut eye, and then I'll figure it out...
Awesome!

Don't know if you are aware of it or not but here is an awesome Blur Earbuds thread started by @siderak. There is a wealth of information in this thread. You can also use us Blur owners over there as a sounding board when trying to finalize your model.

Although a bit shy at first, Blur is truly the consummate gentlemen whom will remain patient and attentive to your requests. He also is very straightforward and will surely let you know if his current model(s) do not meet you requirements. Do take your time when communicating with him. Clearly and thoroughly give your preferences and dislikes (a lot of people expect him to be a mind reader which I don't get sometimes). Most importantly do provide him with some thoughtful music selection as he will use them to tune to your preference (I recommend make it easy for him and provide YouTube links or such). This is a hobby for him (not a business) so he does thoroughly enjoy the comradery and the audio discussion and process in creating his earbuds. Sometimes I think, and unintentionally, people are too business-like and/or not patient enough with him and they lose out in the process, as well as fail to secure the best tuning for themselves (there are a number of us over on the Blur thread that will attest to this!).

Currently, he is only offering the Blur 266R MX aPs Reference Retune; MX 32/64/150/300Ω (w/ Air Pocket Shell; 266v4 aka "266 Clear" cabling) though currently he is sourcing a PK shell replacement (he already has some PK drivers again) so a PK model similar to his 2021 266 PK32 New Line is forthcoming 🎉🥳!

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #65,230 of 75,149
What are the best earbuds for orchestral music such as Mahler symphonies? A few options at different price bands would be very much appreciated

Sep 24, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #65,231 of 75,149
Awesome!

Don't know if you are aware of it or not but here is an awesome Blur Earbuds thread started by @siderak. There is a wealth of information in this thread. You can also use us as a sounding board when trying to finalize your model.

Although a bit shy at first, Blur is truly the consummate gentlemen whom will remain patient and attentive to your requests. He also is very straightforward and will surely let you know if his current model(s) do not meet you requirements. Do take your time when communicating with him. Clearly and thoroughly give your preferences and dislikes (a lot of people expect him to be a mind reader which I don't get sometimes). Most importantly do provide him with some thoughtful music selection as he will use them to tune to your preference (I recommend make it easy for him and provide YouTube links or such). This is a hobby for him (not a business) so he does thoroughly enjoy the comradery and the audio discussion and process in creating his earbuds sometimes I think sometimes unintentionally people are too business-like and/or not patient enough with him and they lose out in the process, as well as fail to secure the best tuning for themselves (there are a number of us over on the Blur thread that will attest to this!).

Currently, he is only offering the Blur 266R MX aPs Reference Retune; MX 32/64/150/300Ω (w/ Air Pocket Shell; 266v4 aka "266 Clear" cabling) though currently he is sourcing a PK shell replacement (he already has some PK drivers again) so a PK model similar to his 2021 266 PK32 New Line is forthcoming 🎉🥳!
Wong of blur is a great man. Very polite and helpful. His earbuds are top quality too

Sep 24, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #65,232 of 75,149
What are the best earbuds for orchestral music such as Mahler symphonies? A few options at different price bands would be very much appreciated
Currently, listening to Rattle's 2010 version of Mahler's Symphony No. 2, "Resurrection" on my tgxear Tantalus! I imagine @tgx78's even more reference-like Serratus or Alpha would be perfect for dynamic Mahler. Other candidates going from most down to least in cost would be Yincrow RW-3000, Rose Martini, and Yincrow RW-2000 if you can handle brighter tunings and Longyao-Yinman 2.0 600 LE; 600Ω if you prefer a warmer signature that is still quite detailed.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #65,233 of 75,149
Awesome!

Don't know if you are aware of it or not but here is an awesome Blur Earbuds thread started by @siderak. There is a wealth of information in this thread. You can also use us Blur owners over there as a sounding board when trying to finalize your model.

Although a bit shy at first, Blur is truly the consummate gentlemen whom will remain patient and attentive to your requests. He also is very straightforward and will surely let you know if his current model(s) do not meet you requirements. Do take your time when communicating with him. Clearly and thoroughly give your preferences and dislikes (a lot of people expect him to be a mind reader which I don't get sometimes). Most importantly do provide him with some thoughtful music selection as he will use them to tune to your preference (I recommend make it easy for him and provide YouTube links or such). This is a hobby for him (not a business) so he does thoroughly enjoy the comradery and the audio discussion and process in creating his earbuds. Sometimes I think, and unintentionally, people are too business-like and/or not patient enough with him and they lose out in the process, as well as fail to secure the best tuning for themselves (there are a number of us over on the Blur thread that will attest to this!).

Most of his recent posts on Facebook have been photos of his mountain bike adventures, and of his family holiday. Not as many shots of earbud projects, since he's probably also having issues with acquiring the specific materials he needs.

Sep 24, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #65,234 of 75,149
Currently, listening to Rattle's 2010 version of Mahler's Symphony No. 2, "Resurrection" on my tgxear Tantalus! I imagine @tgx78's even more reference-like Serratus or Alpha would be perfect for dynamic Mahler. Other candidates going from most down to least in cost would be Yincrow RW-3000, Rose Martini, and Yincrow RW-2000 if you can handle brighter tunings and Longyao-Yinman 2.0 600 LE; 600Ω if you prefer a warmer signature that is still quite detailed.
Thanks for your recommendations. How do I contact tgxear?

Sep 24, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #65,235 of 75,149

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back