Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 20, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #65,101 of 75,478
Sony Linkbuds, how do you graded their sound quality to any earbuds? Is it certified as Mid-budget earphone sounds performance?
I am interested for outdoor activities usage.
Not sure its Sony going to upgrade this this innovative hole-earbud in near future. Many dislikes of its cumbersome fit. The sales is not as good as it is as the price deduction just a few months from released.

I am trying B&O EQ with the ANC. It is practically not a perfect ANC to block every sound frequency to dead air inside our ear canal. Anywhere i am using the memory foam tips.
Strangely how effective is the Sony Linkbuds ANC could against Noise blocking with a middle hole there?

ANC is non-existent on the linkbuds.

If you want a more earbud like sound for out and about, I'd get the Samsung buds live.

I've had both but only kept the buds live. Since I'm on Android I use wavelet to eq them to my liking.

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #65,102 of 75,478
Does anyone have an experience with some of the more popular DIY (or as I like to call it, "artisan") buds as well as the Yincrow RW-3000?
I'm super interested in the Holy Cow and would be curious to hear how it stacks up against something like the TGX or RikuBuds. :thinking:

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #65,103 of 75,478
I just have the drivers that I carefully tuned myself. They have one of the most natural presentations I’ve heard. They do lack deep bass, but just a great balanced sound otherwise. I have no idea how they compare to the original. I know they still sell a PK2, but ai believe it’s a completely different driver that is said to be inferior. I cannot validate the rumors.

You can guy the PK1 over on Penon Audio as of a couple weeks ago. Ultimately I liked the PK2 better, but the 1, 2, and 3 all ended up getting given to a friend who loves Yuin buds because they weren't really my thing.

Sep 20, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #65,104 of 75,478
It looks like my (incompetent) local mail service has found my package (Smabat M4, and 2 drivers), and should be delivered tomorrow (according to their tracking, but who knows right??).

Hope I am not coming across too bitter?! LOL

I mean delivery services in some places have become a joke (though I AM grateful that they at least exist). I mean take a towing service for instance. For every day that the vehicle sits in a towing yard, we have to pay more money. Maybe we should implement a pay system where, for every day that a package is late (because of the delivery service), that particular delivery service has to pay part of the total expense of that package's cost. So, in essence you would not pay the bill until receipt of the item, minus whatever the delivery service owes. I mean we (the customer) still pay for the service regardless of the level of competence/incompetence. I know, I know this would never work for many reasons. Just a thought. :yum: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #65,108 of 75,478
Sep 21, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #65,109 of 75,478
I just have the drivers that I carefully tuned myself. They have one of the most natural presentations I’ve heard. They do lack deep bass, but just a great balanced sound otherwise. I have no idea how they compare to the original. I know they still sell a PK2, but ai believe it’s a completely different driver that is said to be inferior. I cannot validate the rumors.
You can guy the PK1 over on Penon Audio as of a couple weeks ago. Ultimately I liked the PK2 better, but the 1, 2, and 3 all ended up getting given to a friend who loves Yuin buds because they weren't really my thing.
FYI - I have personally owned and/or heard Penon's currently offered Yuin PK & OK series models (a few different times from 2018-2020) and although nice sounding (with a touch of the original Yuin house sound and tuning) they do not sound the same as the original 2006 Yuin PK series (PK1 PK2 PK3) nor the original 2008 Yuin OK series (OK1 OK2 OK3... which I preferred and liked better... I was an odd ball about this series). Definitely entirely different drivers being deployed here.

The original Yuin PK and OK series models are/were much better than the current offering but those drivers were very unique... many of the old timers will recall the immediate supply issues these drivers faced shortly after their release and thus offers one reason why the OK series was launched in 2008. That all said, I really think earbuds and the newer available drivers have advanced considerably now... enough to not really warrant a chase or hunt down for 2006 or 2008 Yuins.

No idea what driver is being used in the new Yuin PKE reboot but doubtful that it is the same as the 2006 PK1 or 2008 OK1 driver but rather more than likely the same replacement driver in the relaunched Yuin OK1 version offered by Penon or perhaps an even newer driver:

2022 - Oak Leaf Audio Yuin PK Evolution; 150Ω (aka Yuin PKE; an official Yuin PK1 re-release)​
2022 - Yuin PK Evolution; 150Ω (aka Yuin PKE; official Yuin PK1 re-release also under Oak Leaf Audio branding)​

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #65,111 of 75,478
I retuned the EA buds tonight just to see if I could get the weird vocal sound out of them. I was fairly successful. Though this is a fairly insane V-shape tuning, this works much better for these buds than the stock tuning. The stock tuning for these buds makes it sounds like everyone has a stuffy nose--or an unusual 'head' voice. The problem is the height of the 2kHz peak. You can remove it by drilling holes, but it also gives you the mid bass bump. These buds are already too bloated, but what can you do? I could open them up and start from scratch, but I'm afraid of damaging them as I'm unfamiliar with the shell. So in any case, the normal way to do such a thing would be to drill a hold in either the back of the shell or underneath the stem. I didn't measure any difference drilling into the back of this shell with any rational sized bit(maybe they have a foam underneath the shell on the back?), so I tried the latter with success. I ended up doing two holes and leaving the pinna gain a bit to high to test my "when foams get softer, they reduce pinna gain" theory. It's worked on the last 2 buds and I've decided I'm going to tune buds a bit hot from this day forward. So this is where this is starting:
EAretune.jpg

The dark blue line is where we started. You know my philosophy: I've one end is going to have too much output, I'd rather it be the bass. You can see the original had less mid bass and more deep bass. Those changes are audible but less harmful than they look. The pinna gain change is a huge step in the right direction, though not an ideal shape. I think the ideal shape should be a bit closer to what FiiO has done with the FF3 or what I did with the PK2 driver. Here's how it stacks up against those:
AEPKFF3.jpg

When I tuned the 500Be to a fairly similar curve, it destroys this driver in the technicalities department. Nonetheless, this is enjoyable at the moment.

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #65,112 of 75,478
FYI - I have personally owned and/or heard Penon's currently offered Yuin PK & OK series models (a few different times from 2018-2020) and although nice sounding (with a touch of the original Yuin house sound and tuning) they do not sound the same as the original 2006 Yuin PK series (PK1 PK2 PK3) nor the original 2008 Yuin OK series (OK1 OK2 OK3... which I preferred and liked better... I was an odd ball about this series). Definitely entirely different drivers being deployed here.

The original Yuin PK and OK series models are/were much better than the current offering but those drivers were very unique... many of the old timers will recall the immediate supply issues these drivers faced shortly after their release and thus offers one reason why the OK series was launched in 2008. That all said, I really think earbuds and the newer available drivers have advanced considerably now... enough to not really warrant a chase or hunt down for 2006 or 2008 Yuins.

No idea what driver is being used in the new Yuin PKE reboot but doubtful that it is the same as the 2006 PK1 or 2008 OK1 driver but rather more than likely the same replacement driver in the relaunched Yuin OK1 version offered by Penon or perhaps an even newer driver:

2022 - Oak Leaf Audio Yuin PK Evolution; 150Ω (aka Yuin PKE; an official Yuin PK1 re-release)​
2022 - Yuin PK Evolution; 150Ω (aka Yuin PKE; official Yuin PK1 re-release also under Oak Leaf Audio branding)​
Absolutely agree @WoodyLuvr. This driver isn't the best by any stretch. It doesn't have the largest soundstage or the highest resolution. That said, I do enjoy it immensely the way I have it tuned now. It's not a resolution slouch, but not up to the best of modern drivers. It hangs with the cheap ones rather well however. There's something rather "analog" about it. It's so comfortable in the ear as well. I say it's a lot like hugging a friendly woman with large, pillowy _________ sweater on. It's a sensation you can enjoy all day, over and over again.

Anyone hear any news on the FF5? I've been searching but I didn't find anything.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #65,113 of 75,478
I retuned the EA buds tonight just to see if I could get the weird vocal sound out of them. I was fairly successful. Though this is a fairly insane V-shape tuning, this works much better for these buds than the stock tuning. The stock tuning for these buds makes it sounds like everyone has a stuffy nose--or an unusual 'head' voice. The problem is the height of the 2kHz peak. You can remove it by drilling holes, but it also gives you the mid bass bump. These buds are already too bloated, but what can you do? I could open them up and start from scratch, but I'm afraid of damaging them as I'm unfamiliar with the shell. So in any case, the normal way to do such a thing would be to drill a hold in either the back of the shell or underneath the stem. I didn't measure any difference drilling into the back of this shell with any rational sized bit(maybe they have a foam underneath the shell on the back?), so I tried the latter with success. I ended up doing two holes and leaving the pinna gain a bit to high to test my "when foams get softer, they reduce pinna gain" theory. It's worked on the last 2 buds and I've decided I'm going to tune buds a bit hot from this day forward. So this is where this is starting:
EAretune.jpg
The dark blue line is where we started. You know my philosophy: I've one end is going to have too much output, I'd rather it be the bass. You can see the original had less mid bass and more deep bass. Those changes are audible but less harmful than they look. The pinna gain change is a huge step in the right direction, though not an ideal shape. I think the ideal shape should be a bit closer to what FiiO has done with the FF3 or what I did with the PK2 driver. Here's how it stacks up against those:
AEPKFF3.jpg
When I tuned the 500Be to a fairly similar curve, it destroys this driver in the technicalities department. Nonetheless, this is enjoyable at the moment.
Oh, you may think that a bud that measures like this would have more kick than the FiiO. Well, it doesn't. The FiiO is the middle line at 100Hz and it kicks like a mule. Everyone says that you "feel" the 100Hz kick. Well it's true, but you feel it more from the overall better design. I only have guesses as to why that is, but lets just say that the FiiO outperforms what a simple frequency response graph lets on. The FiiO is the closest thing to a skull rattle I've heard in a bud though it doesn't really measure that way. I Have several that measure to have more bass and a couple of them deeper as well...... Thank goodness there's more to this than what a frequency response graph can tell you. Otherwise we could auto EQ everything to sound the same.

Sep 21, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #65,115 of 75,478
EAretune.jpg
AEPKFF3.jpg

What is EA buds? Earphone Anonymous?

The stock tuning looks similar to my metal shell buds without any thing to close the hole at the back: very high muddy bass, then sharp dip between 1–2k, and then sharp ear gain. Closing the hole flattens the whole signature.

Anyhow, I found recently that when the bass hole is small (around 1.2mm max), ear gain gets smaller (or bass get bigger, depending on perspective). However, if the hole gets larger (2-3mm), the ear gain starts to rise. I use this trick to squeeze more upper midrange out of the 64ohm Ti composite driver.

Adding more horse shoe foams can help controlling the midbass. Combining large bass holes with stacking HS finally makes 64 ohm Ti composite a (sub-)bass canon but with clear and open midrange.

Still not as good as FF3, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back