Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 20, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #65,071 of 75,403
Speaking about this, what do our earbud aficionados here vote as the best ever earbud (assuming cost is no concern), in terms of sound quality?

An end game earbud so to speak? Is there such a mythical unicorn?

It might actually save money in the long term getting one end game TOTL earbud, and we stop getting stuck in sidegrade earbud purgatory?
I've found what you're looking for...

The Mythical Unicorn earbuds, the search is over, look no further.

HTB1O.EbdUgQMeJjy0Fjq6yExFXa4.jpg

HTB14WqQXPihSKJjy0Fiq6AuiFXaG.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #65,072 of 75,403
Sep 20, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #65,073 of 75,403
This reminds me of the KOSS KSC75 has anyone tried them here?
I don't know if it's just me but I found the earhooks to not be very comfortable. Of course I did what pretty much every budding audiophile does and slap a headband and Yaxi pads on them. They still get most of my listening time because they're tuned so well and are so light and comfortable.

If I could get that sound from an earbud, it might be endgame for me.

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #65,074 of 75,403
Almost too much variety in a (good?) way. Most of my bud purchases have come from AE and just looking through AE you're smothered with buds from established to no-name brands. With all that temptation, you could easily dump a lot of money on buds of unknown sound quality to find a few that really shine. And I'm only talking about AE. Other people venture out and buy stuff from Taobao and other venues as well, though I'm pretty sure the same sellers are on multiple marketplaces. Anyway, with all that variety it can definitely be hard to separate the good buds from the poor performers so thanks to the brave ones here who make blind purchases, share their impressions and best buy advice.
Most of my purchases have also come from AE, and most were also blind buys, though I received much guidance from the fantastic people on this thread. Over the time that I have been here (and even in the beginning), I have found this community to be more invaluable than I could have ever imagined. The comradery and advice has been considered as PART of my journey with each bud (at least in my mind anyhow).

In the end I guess that what I am saying is that without this community, I might still have made some purchases, but with it, it has added more value to my purchases overall that I treasure.
Speaking about this, what do our earbud aficionados here vote as the best ever earbud (assuming cost is no concern), in terms of sound quality?

It might actually save money in the long term getting one end game TOTL earbud, and we stop getting stuck in sidegrade earbud purgatory?
I WOULD list my end game as the FQL Grand Finale and FQL Blackhole Redux but since they are a one of a kind and cannot be bought anywhere on earth (truly unicorns IMO), I will have to give my thoughts on the others I have.

Having said that, I COULD put all of mine on that list because they all mean something different to me, and I am not getting rid of any one of them at this point (which technically could put them all on the list of "end game").

Though, if I had to choose a limited number, I would say that the Yinman 2.0 600 are TOTL sound for me. I mean with the right amount of power pushing them, there is something truly magical (and addicting) about the sound of these (for me). I would never want to part with these at really any cost.

In the end and because these check so many boxes (even more than the Yinman) that go beyond just the sound, I would also say that the FiiO FF3 are something truly amazing. For sound alone the Yinman tops these (to my ears), but only just. But it is the other things that help factor this "unicorn" for me. The cable is more stout (though CAN get annoying sometimes) and seems to have more longevity, and is modular (how can one truly ask for more?). The fitment is the best of any earbuds I have ever put into my ears. The acoustics (build) is some of the best I have ever heard, and the technicalities of the driver simply add to this. And these are built like a tank (very similar to the Chaconne but smaller overall).

While I have to give much props to Smabat and Yincrow for also being some really grand earbuds, I also have to give another "end game" tag to the Chaconne. The mids and highs on these simply cannot be touched IMO. If those things are most important to you, then these are untouchable. For what they do there is, nor probably will be no other like them. And while some have seen me complain about needing more bass, I have decided that if much more bass were added it would probably ruin the overall sound that these babies produce. Though, I believe that just a very small amount added would help these.
Sony Linkbuds, how do you graded their sound quality to any earbuds? Is it certified as Mid-budget earphone sounds performance?
I am interested for outdoor activities usage.
Not sure its Sony going to upgrade this this innovative hole-earbud in near future. Many dislikes of its cumbersome fit. The sales is not as good as it is as the price deduction just a few months from released.

I am trying B&O EQ with the ANC. It is practically not a perfect ANC to block every sound frequency to dead air inside our ear canal. Anywhere i am using the memory foam tips.
Strangely how effective is the Sony Linkbuds ANC could against Noise blocking with a middle hole there?
I am probably an outlier for these because I actually put the sound quality at a really high level compared to other buds. I would actually put these as top tier sound in the end. Being only AAC or SBC, I was shocked myself at the quality of sound coming into my ears. These do NOT follow the "house" Sony sound at all. They are really clear, and overall balanced, with good bass (for earbuds, but not for IEMs - part of the problem I suspect).

Having said that, they just happen to fit me perfectly, and I get the full sound (including good bass) from these. They are NOT noise cancelling at all, and actually let more sound in than any earbuds because they have a hole in the middle rather than sitting in between your ear canal and the outside world. But I knew this going into it, and I actually sought them out for this quality. I bought them for work. I work in an environment that requires me to hear my surroundings (mechanical rooms, boiler & chiller rooms, construction type settings).

The problem with these is that Sony is a bit ahead of their time (again) with these. The TWS community don't really accept them because they don't seal/isolate outside noise, and the earbud community don't really accept them either for whatever reason (fitment, etc...??). I think there will be another design like this in the years to come, and when they ARE accepted, they will be a big hit. I'm actually kind of surprised that they aren't now; though in a way it doesn't because of what I mentioned earlier about not being noise cancelling (everybody wants that more than anything else nowadays). Though it DOES sort of surprise me that more earbud aficionados have not jumped at these.
I have the same Linkbuds that @samandhi has. I use them for taking phone and conference calls. These do not have any ANC. They essentially let all sound in. I do not use these out and about as I find them too soft on a noisy street environment.
I suppose this must come down (again) to fitment because I find nothing soft about them (granted I use the in-built EQ app to give them a bit of top end). As for volume, I suppose a repeat is in order (fitment), because I can drown out all but the loudest sounds with mine.
Haha maybe king @WoodyLuvr may have very well caught and heard em all and collected all the earbud pokemon of the world!
That is too good! :)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #65,075 of 75,403
Sep 20, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #65,076 of 75,403
I don't know if it's just me but I found the earhooks to not be very comfortable. Of course I did what pretty much every budding audiophile does and slap a headband and Yaxi pads on them. They still get most of my listening time because they're tuned so well and are so light and comfortable.

Give Serratus a try. It's similar to the KSC75 in its revealing tonality and staging ability and well controlled ear gain but it actually extends much deeper. The KSC75 really has no lower midbass/subbass extension unless you blast it with a hulking amp. That's the last TGXear recommendation of the day now, I promise.

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #65,077 of 75,403
Give Serratus a try. It's similar to the KSC75 in its revealing tonality and staging ability and well controlled ear gain but it actually extends much deeper. The KSC75 really has no lower midbass/subbass extension unless you blast it with a hulking amp. That's the last TGXear recommendation of the day now, I promise.

Thanks! It might have to wait though, I promised my partner no more big tech purchases for a while (I bought a phone, smartwatch and Timeless in the space of a few months) and I've only kinda managed to get around it by getting into DIY. I'll add it to the list with the FF3!

Edit:
Actually, speaking of DIY as this thread is more active, does anyone have recommendations for cheap cables? I'm thinking of using ones without MMCX connectors as the hassle of connecting/disconnecting for early prototypes seems more hassle than it's worth.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #65,078 of 75,403
Wild guesses:
  • TGXear buds
  • One of those holy cows 600ohm buds
  • Fiio FF3
  • Perhaps Zen 2.0?
Edit: forgot to add Rikubuds.
I don't think anyone has heard them all. When I was into vintage earbuds a few years ago it would have been Sony MDR E484 or Aiwa HP V99. But there are Chinese earbud makers and DIY maker that beat those legendary earbuds.

Moondrop Chaconne beats all vintage earbuds in SQ. Blox TM7 was my first taste in TOTL earbuds from smaller makers and they are still great. I did like Sennheiser MX980/985 but ended up selling both. I never liked Zen 2 and think Zen 1 was far superior.
I've been a fan of Indonesian one man earbud maker Cypherus since I first bought CampFred. For me nothing can beat Red Dragon, which sounds like actual full size headphones and make every other earbud I own sound like tiny earbuds. But it is a custom made pair (I am the second owner) so not for a mass market. If anyone ever is in the Stockholm area you are welcome to send me a PM and we can have a listening session with different earbuds.
I keep checking out TOTL earbuds since I want to find something that comes close to Red Dragon. Nothing does, but sometimes there are nice surprises. Sometimes you get a lemon. Sometimes you grow tired of something that you like and sell it (and then perhaps buy it again).
I really like Chaconne and SWD2+. Am really curious about Rose Martini and Yincrow RW-3000 (didn't like Rose Mojito too much. Kind of liked Yincrow RW-777 but sold it).

I remember when ClieOS removed his earbud ranking in the first post after people were complaining to him that they did not like an earbud that he put high on his list. Different strokes for different folks. Some like a lot of bass. Some like sweet mids. Some like detailed treble...
Don't forget about these other god-tier golden era buds:

Aiwa HP-D9 "King Aiwa" Pipe-Phone; 16Ω
Sony MDR-E282 Nude Turbo II; 16Ω
Sony MDR-E888G Twin Turbo Nude Fontopia; 16Ω
Technics by Panasonic RP-HV100 耳に入る Double Driver; 28Ω

Definitely think a model from tgxear (@tgx78), Blur, Cypherus Audio, RikuBuds, or @FranQL (unfortunately he only gifts them) would be a worthy consideration for end-game god-tier status.

Also, there is the PISLO by ArtVano PXVV Piezo-Electric, Rose Technics Maria II, and Yincrow 天牛 'Heavenly Cow' RW-3000 if you can handle their brighter leanings... and the Longyao-Yinman 龙谣音曼 2.0 600 LE, Simphonio SW-Dragon 3 Plus (aka "SWD3+"), and Venture Electronics 微翼音频 (VE) Sun Copper if you prefer warmer tunings.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #65,079 of 75,403
Part of me secretly wants @WoodyLuvr to publish 'A Short History of Earbuds'.
That would be cool especially since that go down as part of the written historical record for earbuds. It would be an immense resource for a small section of the audiophile community which is in itself a small community.

I suppose this must come down (again) to fitment because I find nothing soft about them (granted I use the in-built EQ app to give them a bit of top end). As for volume, I suppose a repeat is in order (fitment), because I can drown out all but the loudest sounds with mine.
I suppose you are right. I could also be down to my hearing which is not what is was 40 or so years ago! In the office environment though, they are plenty loud and I do enjoy the sound out of the Linkbuds.

My Serratus is being built for me so I cannot comment yet. Another option might be Lancer 1 or Saber 1 from @RikudouGoku

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #65,080 of 75,403

KCS 75 & Senn PX100/PX200 & Koss Porta Pro were on the Top Choices to budget audiophile boys back to those days.
There's Westone, Shure and UE in the competitive market. And there were high end portable luxurious to minority.

I got mine Koss KCS 75 recabled and it's worth to get fixed. Yet it died again very quickly in a year or so.

Yuin PK2 was my most satisfied game changer in the entire portable listening gear throughout these years.
Believe it or not my PK2 pawns Grado SR60 when connected to iBasso DC05 in every sound performance with my computer.
DAC with Hifi capabilities is uplifting amazing potential from a small buds but not from the Grado SR60 much.
I need to pump up additional 15% volume from SR 60 to get same loudness as good as PK 2.

A rather weird occasion.
**Pardon i am not a technical guy in all these electronic, components or processor inside a DAC.

I am probably an outlier for these because I actually put the sound quality at a really high level compared to other buds. I would actually put these as top tier sound in the end. Being only AAC or SBC, I was shocked myself at the quality of sound coming into my ears. These do NOT follow the "house" Sony sound at all. They are really clear, and overall balanced, with good bass (for earbuds, but not for IEMs - part of the problem I suspect).

Having said that, they just happen to fit me perfectly, and I get the full sound (including good bass) from these. They are NOT noise cancelling at all, and actually let more sound in than any earbuds because they have a hole in the middle rather than sitting in between your ear canal and the outside world. But I knew this going into it, and I actually sought them out for this quality. I bought them for work. I work in an environment that requires me to hear my surroundings (mechanical rooms, boiler & chiller rooms, construction type settings).

The problem with these is that Sony is a bit ahead of their time (again) with these. The TWS community don't really accept them because they don't seal/isolate outside noise, and the earbud community don't really accept them either for whatever reason (fitment, etc...??). I think there will be another design like this in the years to come, and when they ARE accepted, they will be a big hit. I'm actually kind of surprised that they aren't now; though in a way it doesn't because of what I mentioned earlier about not being noise cancelling (everybody wants that more than anything else nowadays). Though it DOES sort of surprise me that more earbud aficionados have not jumped at these.
You are the very least person seems to appreciate Sony Hole in the earphone. I was so excited when i saw the design. 9 out of 10 youtubers review are complainted it as a "gimmicks" invention. Not many praised for its sound quality. All they are good its made silly fun of its drop out. Nobody wants to talk bout its sound quality in professional remarks anymore.
Guess you are the first person i came across said it is as good as Airpods. Then i can confidently said it is Really GOOD sound quality for a TWS within this price range.

Sony Linkbuds solved specific environmental issues for me as a frequent outdoor runner. I don't like that overpricey Aftershokz bone conductor makes me looks like too much "weight" over my small face. Also too many faulty issues i read about them less than a year. Totally lost my interest with that earphones suppose to be a durable sportsman gadget.

Currently i am using Aviot TWS from Japan. It was great due to the button feedback. Now i can focus my next TWS to be this Sony Linkbuds after your description~
**Correction - Linkbuds S supports LDAC. The Donut Hole Linkbuds doesn't support LDAC.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #65,081 of 75,403
Don't forget about these other god-tier golden era buds:

Aiwa HP-D9 "King Aiwa" Pipe-Phone; 16Ω
Sony MDR-E282 Nude Turbo II; 16Ω
Sony MDR-E888G Twin Turbo Nude Fontopia; 16Ω
Technics by Panasonic RP-HV100 耳に入る Double Driver; 28Ω

I used to own MDR-E282. Also E252 and E575 (or was it 565?). And Aiwa HP D9.
Aiwa D9 has a wonderful and huge soundstage and a sort of thin sound without being sibilant or sharp. But I prefer some of the more modern earbuds.
The only vintage one I could never buy, because of the high second hand prices, was Aiwa HP-V9. Once I stopped bidding at around €600 on an eBay auction for a pair of V9, and I think it ended at over €800...

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #65,083 of 75,403
Hi guys. Do you think Moondrop Chaconne is an endgame for orchestral/instrumental music? Is there is any other better for this genere? And I'm referring to comercial earbuds because DIY or Custom made are very difficult to me to get access and pay here in my country. Need to buy from Amazon (preferible).
If you don't mind me asking, where are you based? There are quite a few DIYers sprinkled around the world, so I would be surprised if you can't find a suitable DIY supplier. As the guru @RikudouGoku always tells me, DIY buds have a much higher price/performance than commercial ones :)

Sep 20, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #65,084 of 75,403
If you don't mind me asking, where are you based? There are quite a few DIYers sprinkled around the world, so I would be surprised if you can't find a suitable DIY supplier. As the guru @RikudouGoku always tells me, DIY buds have a much higher price/performance than commercial ones :)
Well, tbh I prefer Amazon because there I can purchase on monthly payment, which makes it easy for me since I've been having lots of expenses lately.

Sep 20, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #65,085 of 75,403
I used to own MDR-E282. Also E252 and E575 (or was it 565?). And Aiwa HP D9.
Aiwa D9 has a wonderful and huge soundstage and a sort of thin sound without being sibilant or sharp. But I prefer some of the more modern earbuds.
The only vintage one I could never buy, because of the high second hand prices, was Aiwa HP-V9. Once I stopped bidding at around €600 on an eBay auction for a pair of V9, and I think it ended at over €800...
You didn't miss anything with the HP-V9... really. That was money saved in my humble opinion as the HP-D9 was much better as were the HP-V88 and HP-V99 Super PowerBass models as well as the later HP-V741 and HP-V743 Fantasy Bass models. They all out performed the HP-V9. I personally always liked the HP-D9 best... although it's bass was lighter (more restrained) it's mids and highs were clearer to me (more resolute)... it had the exact same 60mm pipe as the HP-V88/99 but a larger, more sensitive 16mm driver that could handle more power. I also liked the older Aiwa HP-V3 Big Red Super but for more nostalgic reasons.

1983​
Aiwa HP-V3 Big Red Super - Inner Ear Mini Stereo Headphones; 32Ω (w/ volume control; travel case)​

1986​
Aiwa HP-V9 Digital; 16Ω (15mm driver w/ volume control; mono/stereo switch)​
1988​
Aiwa HP-V88 Super PowerBass Pipe-Phone; 16Ω (15mm driver w/ 60mm U-shaped acoustic resonance pipe)​
Aiwa HP-V99 Super PowerBass Pipe-Phone; 16Ω (15mm driver w/ 60mm U-shaped acoustic resonance pipe)​
1990​
Aiwa HP-D9 Pipe-Phone for Digital; 16Ω (aka King Aiwa; 16mm driver w/ 60mm U-shaped acoustic resonance pipe)​
1995​
Aiwa HP-V741 Fantasy Bass - Duo Bass Boost Flute-Phone; 16Ω (aka 95 Gold Holes w/ Double Gold Small Holes; 45mm acoustic U-shaped bass pipe)​
Aiwa HP-V743 Fantasy Bass - Duo Bass Boost Flute-Phone; 16Ω (aka 95 Gold Holes w/ Double Gold Small Holes; 45mm acoustic U-shaped bass pipe; volume control)​

I totally concur with you... modern earbuds overall sound and perform better to my ears as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back