Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 29, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #62,221 of 75,202
Hi. I listen to lot of classical music and would love a flat head earbuds in my collection of IEMs and headphones. What would be the recommendations? Anywhere between 50 and 300€/$.
Do you object to spending less?

Jul 30, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #62,222 of 75,202
Hi folks, I have just bought a Fiio FF3, first flat head after 7 years of headphone and IEMs. I have one silly question: how are these supposed to fit?

I use the included foam to add some friction, but the buds do not seem to stay at one spot. They don’t fall out, but they don’t stay at the sweet spot, if that makes any sense. Is it normal? I’m so tempted to tape these to my ears so they stop shifting around.

Jul 30, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #62,223 of 75,202
Right now my Top 10 earbuds ranking could be

1.- Ve Zen Su
2-3. Ve Asura Pure White Shinning - Ve Sun Cooper (Tie)
----------
4.- Ve Zen shinning
5.- Ve Sun dice
6.- FranQL Blackhole 500ohms​
7.- TgXear Tantalus
8.- LRey R-09 Forest
9.-Ve Asura Omega Edition
10.-Blur 266R mx150 Special Tuning

------ means a big leap in quality above here

Think that my library is mainly midcentric focused, smooth jazz with female vocals.
Awesome post! Funny how our tastes are so similar and so different all at the same time!

I don't really like the Zen SU at all and think the Sun Copper and Sun Dice are much better performers. Perhaps due to my preferred music genres but probably more due to my advanced age and hearing loss! LOL!

Here is WoodyLuvr's personal All-Time Top Ten Flathead Earbuds Ranking List (not to be confused with my old Earbud God-Tier List... probably should not have even mentioned it due to all the headache/heartache it has caused me). The big surprise for me here is the Berserker 1 which I simply adore and is wonderfully tuned for fun!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #62,224 of 75,202
Hi folks, I have just bought a Fiio FF3, first flat head after 7 years of headphone and IEMs. I have one silly question: how are these supposed to fit?

I use the included foam to add some friction, but the buds do not seem to stay at one spot. They don’t fall out, but they don’t stay at the sweet spot, if that makes any sense. Is it normal? I’m so tempted to tape these to my ears so they stop shifting around.
Totally normal. Stop moving and they will stay in place longer. If it is really bothersome, try hanging the cable over your ear for more stability.

Jul 30, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #62,225 of 75,202
Awesome post! Funny how our tastes are so similar and so different all at the same time!

I don't really like the Zen SU at all and think the Sun Copper and Sun Dice are much better performers. Perhaps due to my preferred music genres but probably more due to my advanced age and hearing loss! LOL!

Here is WoodyLuvr's Personal All-Time Top 10 Flathead Earbuds Ranking List (not to be confused with my old Earbud God-Tier List... probably should not have even mentioned it due to all the headache/heartache it has caused me):

1.----Blur OFC PK150 Wraith LE
2.----K's Temperament 钛铃 "Titanium Ling" Bell-Ti 120Ω (before they died on me! cursed Ksearphone!)
3.----RikuBuds Berserker 1----~----Longyao-Yinman 2.0 600 LE
4.----DQSM Audio Turandot (currently being modded by Blur; I hope my wife doesn't re-acquisition them again upon their return)​
5.----FranQL Temperament Woody Edition
----------
6.----Blur 256 PK16 White Face LE (my wife stole these!)
7.----VE Sun Copper
8.----Shozy 大黑 Big Black (BK) Stardust----~----VE Sun Dice
9.----VE Zen 2
10.---Aiwa HP-D9----~----Sony MDR-E262

I know, I know... I cheated and snuck in three (3) extra ones! The big surprise for me here is the Berserker 1 which I simply adore and is wonderfully tuned for fun!
Zen Su is a so special earbud, really needs the best amp you can suit, scales a lot and is the difference bettween being a great bud and being the best bud.
For me is the best and is Light Years away from all my other stuff.
I have RikuBuds Grand Rider that didn´t liked at all, not for my tastes.

Jul 30, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #62,226 of 75,202

Not a silly question at all if you have never tried earbuds before IMO. :)

This is really where the magic happens with earbuds. They don't sit tight up against your ear holes. They just sit in your concha; this is the sweet spot. Pressing them into your ears actually kills the sound field for these. You might think differently because you are used to jamming IEMs into your ears though. :)

This is where you get the huge sound, much like you would get from an open back headphone (in some cases even more), but in a more natural way. After a while you will forget you have ANYTHING in your ears (BTW that is when you will be hooked like the rest of us). Yes, it sounds sort of funny to begin with, but if you just sit back and listen, you will start to hear the nuances that a good earbud will bring that is totally different than IEMs and headphones.

No, you won't be rattling your brain with huge bass, but it is all there and after a while it WILL sound pretty big to you (provided your set have good bass for an earbud). Mind you, they aren't for everyone, and if you give them a week or so, and simply can't live with it, you can either try a different pair, or they might not be for you. But I DO encourage you to give them a week or two of exclusive listening to let your brain adjust to the different sort of sound. :)

Jul 30, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #62,227 of 75,202
Not a silly question at all if you have never tried earbuds before IMO. :)

This is really where the magic happens with earbuds. They don't sit tight up against your ear holes. They just sit in your concha; this is the sweet spot. Pressing them into your ears actually kills the sound field for these. You might think differently because you are used to jamming IEMs into your ears though. :)

This is where you get the huge sound, much like you would get from an open back headphone (in some cases even more), but in a more natural way. After a while you will forget you have ANYTHING in your ears (BTW that is when you will be hooked like the rest of us). Yes, it sounds sort of funny to begin with, but if you just sit back and listen, you will start to hear the nuances that a good earbud will bring that is totally different than IEMs and headphones.

No, you won't be rattling your brain with huge bass, but it is all there and after a while it WILL sound pretty big to you (provided your set have good bass for an earbud). Mind you, they aren't for everyone, and if you give them a week or so, and simply can't live with it, you can either try a different pair, or they might not be for you. But I DO encourage you to give them a week or two of exclusive listening to let your brain adjust to the different sort of sound. :)

I actually trying to avoid hyping and hyperbole statements because I am still trying to nitpick the FF3. I am surprised to find that the FF3 is as resolving as some top performers in my IEM collection, does not lack bass, and have more expansive soundstage than most IEMs, even the semi open ones like FD5. The center image is strictly in the head, though. Kind of reminds me of the usual “well-tuned” IEMs.

Jul 30, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #62,228 of 75,202
I actually trying to avoid hyping and hyperbole statements because I am still trying to nitpick the FF3. I am surprised to find that the FF3 is as resolving as some top performers in my IEM collection, does not lack bass, and have more expansive soundstage than most IEMs, even the semi open ones like FD5. The center image is strictly in the head, though. Kind of reminds me of the usual “well-tuned” IEMs.
I don't know what the FiiO sounds like, but I have some that have a more massive soundstage than HD800's, HD700;s, etc.. But I CAN say you will get that sort of resolution for much less than you would have to pay for flagship IEMs. Find the right pair, and you probably will argue that flagship IEMs can't touch them once you are done listening to them IMHO. Of course, everyone but people like us in here will think you are crazy because how can you get that good of a sound for less than (say) $200, or even less than $50 depending on your preferred sound signature.

Jul 30, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #62,230 of 75,202
Oh my, I completely forgot about my belove Puresounds so I added them to my list... tied at third place with the Yinman 600 and Berserker 1. Then I realized that I might as well list just one more earbud and make it my All-Time Top 15 Ranking List!

Jul 30, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #62,231 of 75,202
Oh my, I completely forgot about my belove Puresounds so I added them to my list... tied at third place with the Yinman 600 and Berserker 1. Then I realized that I might as well list just one more earbud and make it my All-Time Top 15 Ranking List!

You passion is intoxicating. Thanks for your hard (and great) work!

Jul 30, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #62,232 of 75,202
I don't know what the FiiO sounds like, but I have some that have a more massive soundstage than HD800's, HD700;s, etc.. But I CAN say you will get that sort of resolution for much less than you would have to pay for flagship IEMs. Find the right pair, and you probably will argue that flagship IEMs can't touch them once you are done listening to them IMHO. Of course, everyone but people like us in here will think you are crazy because how can you get that good of a sound for less than (say) $200, or even less than $50 depending on your preferred sound signature.

I’m super impressed so far. I think I managed to get a good seal now.

These ear buds are completely useless outdoors or when I need to move around, but lounging around with them is great. I haven’t done enough A/B but I wouldn’t be surprised if an IEM sounding like this FF3 costs a lot.

One more silly question: do I treat the ear bud foams like foam tips? (Throw away after a while) Are they a necessity like ear tips or they are for tuning and comfort?

Jul 30, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #62,233 of 75,202
How much activity! and two lists of two people who have tried countless buds! it's great

Although in my case I don't think I deserve to appear in any of them because the only thing I've done is share what I do with some friends, adapting my work to their personal tastes to the extent that I think they suit them and what they like. .

Does anyone imagine this situation?: I received some buds from FranQL and they sound like "fuking cats", no, they are friends and great people who will not do that, so I leave the hype aside.

I don't sell buds either, so I don't have a commercial interest beyond looking for the perfect sound for me, and i get it at a cost as low as you can imagine, beating the brand buds I've bought for a long time (IMO), reading here I affirm that with $200 you have benefits and many, forceful and real.

My list would be something like this:

- VE Zen Su
-DIY
-DIY
-DIY
-DIY

I really like SUN Dice, but IMO my current goal beats that sound or I like it better.

It's great to have a new objective after being amazed by ZEN SU, I've tried and have most of the DIY drivers out there and some that aren't (is that R&D at a loss money?), so I can only imagine getting improve what I havent with exclusive shells or have access to factory drivers (or exclusive to brands) since I am not a musician by profession I will have that limitation and trust my sad ears (just kidding)... the shells thanks to @robar and @Rary who made some wonderful designs and @Setmagic I'll be able to experiment. With custom shell drivers there's nothing to do with that at the moment. Although with the buds I have so far, to say that I am happy is really an understatement.

The goal is always the same, better sound, that's the hobby. I'm glad to see my name on those lists, a lot, but it doesn't make sense, they are only made to listen to music, that sound is ok for me, I won't create upgrades for them, they are already what they should be..... Today's date the gifts I want to make are already created or in creation, and I stop, that I really ruined myself.......

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #62,234 of 75,202
How much activity! and two lists of two people who have tried countless buds! it's great

Although in my case I don't think I deserve to appear in any of them because the only thing I've done is share what I do with some friends, adapting my work to their personal tastes to the extent that I think they suit them and what they like. .

Does anyone imagine this situation?: I received some buds from FranQL and they sound like "fuking cats", no, they are friends and great people who will not do that, so I leave the hype aside.

I don't sell buds either, so I don't have a commercial interest beyond looking for the perfect sound for me, at a price as low as you can imagine, beating the brand buds I've bought for a long time (IMO), reading here I affirm that with $200 you have benefits and many, forceful and real.

My list would be something like this:

- VE Zen Su
-DIY
-DIY
-DIY
-DIY

I really like SUN Dice, but IMO my current goal beats that sound or I like it better.

It's great to have a new objective after being amazed by ZEN SU, I've tried and have most of the DIY drivers out there and some that aren't (is that R&D at a loss?), so I can only imagine getting improve what I havent with exclusive shells or have access to factory drivers (or exclusive to brands) since I am not a musician by profession I will have that limitation and trust my sad ears (just kidding)... the shells thanks to @robar who made some wonderful designs and @Setmagic I'll be able to experiment. With custom shell drivers there's nothing to do with that at the moment. Although with the buds I have so far, to say that I am happy is really an understatement.

The goal is always the same, better sound, that's the hobby. I'm glad to see my name on those lists, a lot, but it doesn't make sense, they are only made to listen to music, that sound is ok for me, I won't create upgrades for them, they are already what they should be..... Today's date the gifts I want to make are already created or in creation, and I stop, that I really ruined myself.......
In DIY Workroom we done some nice stuff that was develop last times.
Thanks to @robar who design shells with close cooperation and prototyping of @Rary and me.
Best mods from our friends in advanced shell acoustic system.
AGC_20220729_221816989-01.jpeg
First test are very pleasing and better than MX500 shells now.
They are prototypes still under develop.

Jul 30, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #62,235 of 75,202
I’m super impressed so far. I think I managed to get a good seal now.

These ear buds are completely useless outdoors or when I need to move around, but lounging around with them is great. I haven’t done enough A/B but I wouldn’t be surprised if an IEM sounding like this FF3 costs a lot.

One more silly question: do I treat the ear bud foams like foam tips? (Throw away after a while) Are they a necessity like ear tips or they are for tuning and comfort?
They will after a time errode/fall apart, so yes you will have to replace them from time to time. They are also a necessity for tuning just like tips on IEMs, but also for comfort too. They do add some friction (like you mentioned earlier) to help hold them in your ears better. Think of them as filters. The thicker the foams (or more dense), the less amount of treble energy that will be able to pass through, essentially making them sound more bassy with less treble.... @WoodyLuvr has a nice write-up about such things, I just can't seem to locate it again atm.

BTW! People used to jog with earbuds in, believe it or not. If you get a good fit, they tend to stay put pretty well (not as good as some good IEMs, but still pretty solid) unless you tug on the cable at all; in those cases it is probably best to use a shirt clip to keep the cable from yanking them out of your ears. Or you could wear them over-ear like an IEM and that will also help, but some buds don't sound very good like this, or won't stay at all like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back