Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 30, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #62,251 of 75,467
Update after listening to FF3 non-stop for many hours yesterday: I think I will not pursue U12t as my summit-fi to round off my IEM collection anymore.

For lounging around, the sound quality of this FF3 is suffice. Perhaps I will look at a DIY by a reviewer or the upcoming FF5 if I itch for upgrading my flat head ear phones.

Instead of U12t, I think I will get Symphonium Helios and a pair of Hifiman Arya to round off the collection.

And then I perhaps I can stop looking for the next upgrade to my collection and start reviewing in peace :ksc75smile:

I have been thinking about putting one of those new IEM planar driver into a flat head shell. Has anyone tried?
I gave my impressions of the FF3 just after I received them. I'm glad someone else has shared their impressions too. While I have other buds which I truly enjoy, I would recommend the FF3 as an excellent all-rounder to anyone getting into buds.

Jul 30, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #62,252 of 75,467
Any recommend dap for earbuds? I’m using M11 plus with Megatron sometimes, ifi Diablo. I used to have SP2000 cu but sold last year. I just come back and try to build the equipment again.

Jul 30, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #62,253 of 75,467
Update after listening to FF3 non-stop for many hours yesterday: I think I will not pursue U12t as my summit-fi to round off my IEM collection anymore.

For lounging around, the sound quality of this FF3 is suffice. Perhaps I will look at a DIY by a reviewer or the upcoming FF5 if I itch for upgrading my flat head ear phones.

Instead of U12t, I think I will get Symphonium Helios and a pair of Hifiman Arya to round off the collection.

And then I perhaps I can stop looking for the next upgrade to my collection and start reviewing in peace :ksc75smile:

I have been thinking about putting one of those new IEM planar driver into a flat head shell. Has anyone tried?
I have Arya and it is beautiful, good sound quality.

Jul 30, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #62,254 of 75,467
More or less like how it graphs. Impressions with the treble foam below:

Lower midrange sounds flat. The ear gain sounds very Harman (it can be shouty on some tracks, but generally correct in terms of tonality). It’s certainly not 15db ear gain like the graph, but there is a correct ear gain for sure.

Now the bass is unexpected. I expected something like ER2SE, because the graph shows flat midbass and significantly rolled off subbass. However, I hear punchy kick drum with some physical sensation in my throat, which only comes from IEMs with strong subbass. I have been jamming to some electronic music. FF3 is no E5000 in terms of bass for sure, but I am surprised at how competent it is.

Soundstage is wider and deeper than usual IEM. It’s kind of reminiscent to FD5 or E5000: upfront center image, but the rest spread out widely. I don’t hear any tuning trick to push the image back like Andromeda and U12t / Trio.

Resolution is surprisingly good. I hear resolving treble, though treble is not loud.

Again, coming from IEMs, I’m shocked by what I am hearing. I think I need more time to nitpick be critical.

Ah thanks! I have E3k, loving the spacious staging and open bass response, might need to but e5k someday. But for now, FF3 is definitely on my list!

Jul 30, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #62,255 of 75,467
Ah thanks! I have E3k, loving the spacious staging and open bass response, might need to but e5k someday. But for now, FF3 is definitely on my list!

Well, it should be noted that I have zero experience with good ear buds, so maybe this FF3 is just average in the grand scheme of great ear buds. However, from an IEM perspective, these ear buds give me child-like excitement like the first days hearing IEMs. So good that I cannot put down.

E5k is quite a bit better than E3k even though they share drivers and overall tonality. I bought one after having Andromeda because I rather take a hit to resolution to get that sweet bass and dynamic contrast.

Jul 31, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #62,256 of 75,467

Yeah, like that will ever happen... :)

But, sounds like you have a pretty good plan. The Arya are magnafique'
Any recommend dap for earbuds? I’m using M11 plus with Megatron sometimes, ifi Diablo. I used to have SP2000 cu but sold last year. I just come back and try to build the equipment again.
Personally, I use the iBasso DX300 (for all my head gear actually). With modular amp cards, it can sound like a whole different DAP just by changing them out (including tube amp). :) I would bet the M11 is also a pretty great option.

Jul 31, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #62,257 of 75,467
Try the Tingo TG38. Buy another expensive bud at the same time that someone else recommends. In a month, let us know what you think.
Worth noting the signature of Tingo. To me, they were clean sounding, somewhat bass light buds, of course this impression traced all the way back to GR07 days. Also don't know how legit those Tingos are nowadays, I remember they used to have Tingo logo on the jack.

Very little urge to get more wired buds nowadays. Might get intrigued if there's a more technical version of Rose Masya V1. That's one of my favorite designs with decent bass in earbuds.

Jul 31, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #62,258 of 75,467

The Sony A55 is quite a good DAP for earbuds, except for high impedance buds, which it can't drive well.

I liked the A55 so much I bought 2, around $130 each first hand during sales. The stock A55 is meh in sound, but there is a Mr Walkman firmware mod (free) that you can use to unlock the sound. With the firmware mod there are improvements in technicalities and tonality. Battery life is around 32 hours with the firmware mod, and the mod allows unlocking of region (volume lock) and also has 4 different sound signatures to tune the A55 to.

Jul 31, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #62,259 of 75,467
One more silly question: do I treat the ear bud foams like foam tips? (Throw away after a while) Are they a necessity like ear tips or they are for tuning and comfort?
yeah, they’ll eventually start to crumble and they definitely tune the buds. In fact, these buds sound better to me with Venture Electronics thin foams and any of the ones FiiO packed. These buds are definitely worth the money—with the VE foams that is. None of the FiiO foams worked well for me. The balanced is too dark and every donut foam has created a weird resonance in my ear on every bud. The VE foams work very well for me with this one. Bass is nice…not the best bud I’ve heard in that regard, but it’s at least average in my collection and it’s power handling seems very good for a bud. Maybe my best. Soundstage grows with the VE foam, and I’m happy to say that the fit works well for me and I have definitely throw a frisbee with these buds in. If they weren’t so heavy they’d be better, but these are one of few commercially available that I’ve heard that get my ”thumbs up”. I don’t know that they are up to the resolution of the Tingo TG38, but they have much beeper bass and a soundstage thats fairly close. FiiO designed a winner! The midrange is gold with these foams. I was surprised how dark they were with the “balanced” foams. Anyway, that’s my brief take on these. I’d put these above any M2s pro configuration and definitely the SMABAT ST20 pro. The LBBs isn’t really in these class and neither is the Vido, the X6, the cheaper FAAAEEEEEL buds… None of them. These will be in my ears for a long time to come. Bravo FiiO! Next time, pack a wider array of foams though. The DIY commercial buds I own are generally beaten by this as well. I’d need to check the PK32 against it. Each will have their strength and weaknesses I’m sure. I bet the Blur out resolves this one, but this has a larger soundstage (with these foams) and more neutral Frequency Response (again with the VE foams). The PK32 just lacks pinna gain.

Jul 31, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #62,260 of 75,467
Worth noting the signature of Tingo. To me, they were clean sounding, somewhat bass light buds, of course this impression traced all the way back to GR07 days. Also don't know how legit those Tingos are nowadays, I remember they used to have Tingo logo on the jack.
that’s pretty much how they sound to me now. High resolution and soundstage, but no real deep bass to talk about. They cut off with foams around 100Hz.

He was asking about for classical. For the most part they are brilliant for that provided we’re not talking about pipe organ.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #62,261 of 75,467
Anyone knows of earbuds that sounds similar to a Red Vido or Qian 39? I really like both of them, especially the Red Vido (favorite of the colored Vidos). Everything sounds right to me, (soundstage, bass, mids, & highs). These are tuned better, personally, than other more expensive earbuds I have (also including about 4 stock DIY's I have). The only downside to them is the lack of technicalities compared to the more expensive buds.

I listen to these earbuds with stock foam.

If there are earbuds that sound very similar, if not identical to them, with better technicalities, I want to save up to buy them!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #62,262 of 75,467
Anyone knows an earbud that sounds similar to a Red Vido or Qian 39? I really like both of them, especially the Red Vido (favorite of the colored Vidos). Everything sounds right to me, (soundstage, bass, mids, & highs). These are tuned better, personally, than other more expensive earbuds I have (also including about 4 stock DIY's I have). The only downside to them is the lack of technicalities compared to the more expensive buds.

I listen to these earbuds with stock foam.

If there are earbuds that sound very similar, if not identical to them, with better technicalities, I want to save up to buy them!
I think @RikudouGoku was saying he came up with a pair a while back. When you start getting deeper into buds though, you’ll realize that the Vido can be improved in the frequency response at least as much as in technicalities. They are just a gateway bud.

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #62,263 of 75,467
I think @RikudouGoku was saying he came up with a pair a while back. When you start getting deeper into buds though, you’ll realize that the Vido can be improved in the frequency response at least as much as in technicalities. They are just a gateway bud.
Interesting, I'll check the post history for it. Maybe I have messed up ears and have to do A/B tests again. So far I have the Tingo TG 38's, TC200, NiceHCK DIY MX500, Kbear Stellar (worst one), Qian 69, Yincrow X6, 150 Ohm Blue Glue, 32 Ohm N52 Blue Glue, 64 Ohm White Glue, and 64 Ohm N52 Red Rim. But I keep going back to the Red Vido's every so often, though the lack of resolution in comparison is disappointing.

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #62,264 of 75,467
Interesting, I'll check the post history for it. Maybe I have messed up ears and have to do A/B tests again. So far I have the Tingo TG 38's, TC200, NiceHCK DIY MX500, Kbear Stellar (worst one), Qian 69, Yincrow X6, 150 Ohm Blue Glue, 32 Ohm N52 Blue Glue, 64 Ohm White Glue, and 64 Ohm N52 Red Rim. But I keep going back to the Red Vido's every so often, though the lack of resolution in comparison is disappointing.
Listen to that TG38 again and 150BG. They should trounce the Vido. You can tune them to have the sound balance like the Vido. They’ll just have much better technicalities. The Tingo won’t do the bass though. Both those drivers you’ll have to boost their midbass a lot because their bass is much more resolving and even if they measure alike, the BG and Tingo will sound thinner.

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #62,265 of 75,467
Listen to that TG38 again and 150BG. They should trounce the Vido. You can tune them to have the sound balance like the Vido. They’ll just have much better technicalities. The Tingo won’t do the bass though. Both those drivers you’ll have to boost their midbass a lot because their bass is much more resolving and even if they measure alike, the BG and Tingo will sound thinner.
Your last sentence is interesting. It may be the lack of resolution that makes the sound "fuller". Sure. I'll do the A/B tests again and report back in a day or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back