Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 29, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #59,926 of 75,171
I get more or less the same relative difference between my Samsara and Vido (poor man X6),
Although both our graphs are probably not accurate at all :grin: it's nice to see we get the same consistent gaps around 20-750Hz and 2-6kHz.

immagine_2022-01-29_190129.png

immagine_2022-01-29_184739.png
From an iem perspective, I say it is accurate. (since I am turning the buds into iems with the adapter lol.)

But from a bud perspective, it is definitely not what we are getting from them normally. (no foams and a seal due to the iem fit will have some major impact on the sound.)

Jan 29, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #59,927 of 75,171
I LOL'ed. Thanks for that! The urban dictionary defines that as:

While I agree that I should not be able to hear that small of an imbalance, I am hearing it (pretty noticeable too). Maybe the slider in Neutron Player isn't measured in dB (matter of fact, I would bet that it isn't because I can change it from -.25 to -.30 and hear a noticeable difference)???
Edit: My mistake, Neutron balance level is measured in -1, 0, and +1 (makes more sense seeing that).

I guess I just got used to it, insomuch as adjusting the left bud, thinking it was not in an equal spot (physically) in comparison to the right bud. But, once switching ears, it was clear that the volume coming from the right was not equal to the left. I dunno', but I am not so worried about it for now, it is if it gets worse and by then they are out of warranty.

Hmm, I just had a thought. Maybe I should take the foams off and check and see if it is clogged a bit? I sure hope not. If it is, that means I must have poor ear hygene... LOL

Exactly why I changed ears. But I would guess it is right at the level that @baskingshark mentioned. I don't really know either way, but I know that I can listen to them for an hour, or four hours, and I will (subconsciously, and continuously) adjust the position of the bud.

On another note, as a good surprise to me, my EB2s are due to be here tomorrow with the mail. Color me shocked.
Sounds like you need to use your warranty for certain.

Jan 29, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #59,928 of 75,171
4C7D6D46-0B2D-4983-90B8-BF57D4CCAC72.jpeg

Bud graphs in a molded silicone ear with a blocked ear canal using a calibrated mic will look more like this. You can get a general feel for the changes foam covers make looking at this.

Jan 29, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #59,929 of 75,171
yeah, take these graphs with a huge grain of salt.

(although the Yincrow X6 vs K´s Samsara K300 looks very accurate.)
But when you look at the consistency between yours and @Rary ’s….. certainly means something. That’s why I think a consistent measurement rig is crucial. My rig requires several attempts to get it right sometimes which makes it hard for a DIY guy to evaluate tuning changes or to be sure the measurements are consistent bud to bud. It’s tricky and must be done with a lot of care. A “set it and forget it” rig is nice to have though you’ll never really know how that will interact with an ear.
some observations I’ve had as far as ear fit is concerned:

1) Any shell with a stem is easier to place consistently than small stem or no stem shell. Bells with no stem are very tricky to place consistently.
2) MX500 shells are more difficult than PK shells which are more difficult than Zen Lite/Qian39 shells. 3) The latter 2 are closer to each other than the MX, but the MX is closer to the other 2 than the bell.

A consistent rig won’t let you know that.

Jan 29, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #59,930 of 75,171
Have you tried to wear Maria around the ear, like IEMs? Some prefer to wear her like that since cable earhooks may help to stabilize the fit.

I wear Maria normally cable down, with a skinny silicone ring and a thin foamie.
I normally use her cable down with double foams (one full and one donut, from ve ex-pack). I've tried around ear aswell but it hasn't usually felt that stable. However right now I'm listening to Maria cable around ear and fit seems actually pretty stable. Bass seems to be a bit less present, but still enoughly so. Probably cable connector creates some additional seal when worn cable down. Still around ear can be pretty decent alternative wear with Maria. Around ear upgrade cable could even improve fit, but as Maria still uses that really uncommon 0,75mm 2 pin connector upgrade cables aren't that good option. Obiviosly 0,78mm connectors could 'fit' with force as it's not a big difference afterall, but I don't assume it would be that healthy for Maria connectors.

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #59,931 of 75,171
First time using this kind of bluetooth adapter. Turned out better than I anticipated and ironically is more comfortable with the adapters than on the cable.

B124B877-6180-4156-81DF-724D6A341146.jpeg

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #59,932 of 75,171
What other buds are out there with .78mm pins?

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #59,934 of 75,171
I get more or less the same relative difference between my Samsara and Vido (poor man X6),
Although both our graphs are probably not accurate at all :grin: it's nice to see we get the same consistent gaps around 20-750Hz and 2-6kHz.

I

I also have old grapf of Vido and Zen1. And they look like much same to suprize.
Vido-vs-Zen1.png

Jan 30, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #59,935 of 75,171
Graphing Earbud Frequency Response = Big Waste of Time?

Perhaps. I have been back and forth about this for years now. I am finding myself leaning more and more to thinking that a FR graph of a small transducer sitting so close to our eardrum is bordering fruitlessness. When I think I have figured them out I am stumped and lost again and/or come across a model that doesn't sound anything like how it was graphed!

As Tyll had intimated this inconsistency and difference a number of occasions between earphones (IEMs and Earbuds) and full sized headphones.
1643518433305.png

Hotlink to the post

Edit
This was not meant as an anti-measurements / anti-sound science post. It is simply a thought provoking question (exercise). Personally, I am undecided but am leaning the other way these days... that is away from relying on earbud FR graphs to tell me how they will sound.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #59,936 of 75,171
Graphing Earbud Frequency Response = Big Waste of Time?

Perhaps. I have been back and forth about this for years now. I am finding myself leaning more and more to thinking that a FR graph of a small transducer sitting so close to our eardrum is bordering fruitlessness. When I think I have figured them out I am stumped and lost again and/or come across a model that doesn't sound anything like how it was graphed!

As Tyll had intimated this inconsistency and difference a number of occasions between earphones (IEMs and Earbuds) and full sized headphones.
1643518433305.png
Hotlink to the post
Woody, I hope you know I think the world of you, but I'm 100% sure any/all of these folks mentioned in this quote would think measurements are essential--not a waste of time. I don't think you need a target curve to understand the usefulness of measurements. The target curve that one of those individuals has come up with is certainly not what we should target and there's no way a graph should supersede a user's experience. With that said, you can certainly learn a lot from actual data. It's one thing to say that a mountain is high. It's entirely another to say it's 3,000 meters. It's so hard to know how good a reviewer's ear is, if their feeling will line up with yours, or if their just cheering or jeering a product, so some data would be helpful to enhance their believability provided that the measurements are done in a way that's useful. That's where the more consistent rigs have a lot of problems. How to really move forward at this point is still unknown, but the waters are slowly clearing. Steps are being made. Too bad such things were not considered an essential industry and more time/money were poured into them.

Jan 30, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #59,937 of 75,171
Woody, I hope you know I think the world of you, but I'm 100% sure any/all of these folks mentioned in this quote would think measurements are essential--not a waste of time. I don't think you need a target curve to understand the usefulness of measurements. The target curve that one of those individuals has come up with is certainly not what we should target and there's no way a graph should supersede a user's experience. With that said, you can certainly learn a lot from actual data. It's one thing to say that a mountain is high. It's entirely another to say it's 3,000 meters. It's so hard to know how good a reviewer's ear is, if their feeling will line up with yours, or if their just cheering or jeering a product, so some data would be helpful to enhance their believability provided that the measurements are done in a way that's useful. That's where the more consistent rigs have a lot of problems. How to really move forward at this point is still unknown, but the waters are slowly clearing. Steps are being made. Too bad such things were not considered an essential industry and more time/money were poured into them.
Concur whole heartedly good man, definitely was not my point at all as I am a measurements man myself (impedance, sensitivity, and max power output ratings being paramount in my book). It was more of a thought provoking question rather than a statement that I was making hence the question mark. Just finding myself leaning away from FR graphs as of late when it comes to earbuds. I may just swing back again... LOL! Though I would definitely say that speakers and headphones seem to graph more easily with FR's that correspond more readily to what I actually hear than say IEMs or earbuds. I just remember Tyll offering that in-the-ear earphones behave differently and their FRs don't always make sense and/or seem to correspond to what we are hearing.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #59,939 of 75,171
Concur whole heartedly good man, definitely was not my point at all as I am a measurements man myself (impedance, sensitivity, and max power output ratings being paramount in my book). It was more of a thought provoking question rather than a statement that I was making hence the question mark. Just finding myself leaning away from FR graphs as of late when it comes to earbuds. I may just swing back again... LOL! Though I would definitely say that speakers and headphones seem to graph more easily with FR's that correspond more readily to what I actually hear than say IEMs or earbuds. I just remember Tyll offering that in-the-ear earphones behave differently and their FRs don't always make sense and/or seem to correspond to what we are hearing.
That’s why I like your graphic still. It’s pretty much the best we can do at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back