Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 28, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #59,896 of 75,417
Earbuds graphs are mostly a meme at this point...with no standards and everyone doing their own thing lol.

And as you mentioned:
"My new Chaconne sound warmer than I remember and do stay in place even with the stock tips (honestly I just did not know how to fit them during my first stint, as they were my truly 1st earbuds.)"

Thats the reason, fit.
earbud graphs are almost useless if approached from the perspective of headphones or iems. There is value in seeing comparisons between models though (after recognizing the unique "fingerprint" of variation from various users measuring buds.) I can almost tell who posts graphs without seeing their user names. :)

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #59,897 of 75,417
Thanks for locating those flanges. ordered!

Can you send a non-smoothed version of that graph, or post it in thread?
1643399527713.png

I measure 5 times, smooth them and then average them.

But as I mentioned, just a teaser, will have them uploaded on another squig whenever its done.

earbud graphs are almost useless if approached from the perspective of headphones or iems. There is value in seeing comparisons between models though (after recognizing the unique "fingerprint" of variation from various users measuring buds.) I can almost tell who posts graphs without seeing their user names. :)
Yeah, as long as they have some form of consistency.

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #59,898 of 75,417
Earbuds graphs are mostly a meme at this point...with no standards and everyone doing their own thing lol.

And as you mentioned:
"My new Chaconne sound warmer than I remember and do stay in place even with the stock tips (honestly I just did not know how to fit them during my first stint, as they were my truly 1st earbuds.)"

Thats the reason, fit.
I was also using an N95 mask outside-one of those which I believe alters the sound as well. I find they change the tone of anything that is not a headphone. The masks with a more relaxed grip on your ears are better for IEMs/earbuds (IME & HO.)

Even after learning how to fit my 1st pair, maybe they were "brighter". Perhaps my original foams were all worn out from all the frustration trying to fit them in during the first week or so. And finally, I have been listening to earphones with lots of mids, so my brain is also adjusting to the more (relatively) relaxed mids in the Chaconne. But I still do find the bass in the Chaconne "good"; definitely a bit above neutral.

Best of luck with the measurements. :)

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #59,899 of 75,417
There's no really a standard to follow for earbud graphs. Everyone just doing their own thing (even earbud driver manufacturers!).

Though if someone graphs an earbud, an IEC coupler would produce graphs that would not indicate tonal differences in comparisons to other graphs. If you guys do it, just measure it raw as possible.

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #59,900 of 75,417
Looks like my LBBs lasted exactly 2 months -- anyway this was when I noticed the crack. It still works but the plastic rim of the driver shell cracked. Looks like it doesn't handle very well the "discovery period" if someone is using earbuds after a long hiatus and trying to better "fit" them.

As many of these earbuds seem to use the same driver shell of LBBs (with the plastic rim) I would assume all share the same "durability concern".

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #59,901 of 75,417
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B003X0BP8A
(with 1 of the flanges removed, so its a single flange "tip".)

2. 1/48 in the screenshot, squig has 1/12 (will have a separate squig site for my bud graphs).

3. (wasnt paying attention to any 8k resonance peaks tbh lol.) I am using my IEC711 calibration file.

4. Nope, not needed. (talked with MRS/Super Reviews about it before.)
I'm curious why MRS think out doesn't need calibration. It absolutely does, depending on the device being used. I'm think he is presuming everyone if using a macbook or a decent dac.

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #59,902 of 75,417
I'm think he is presuming everyone if using a macbook or a decent dac.
It's the Bay Area, man! Everyone here (except gamers) is using a Mac and has the very decent Apple dongle DAC/Amp hanging off their phones, unless they're using AirPods, which everyone also has.

:beerchug:

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #59,903 of 75,417
Jan 28, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #59,904 of 75,417
I dont think so.
Take a look here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dun...ostatic-tweeters.956907/page-18#post-16407904

All of them graphed differently, no point in calibrating when there is no clear standard to follow. Even more so with buds....
I agree. To what would you calibrate it to? Calibration is a method of "zeroing" something out or setting it up to a baseline but since there is nothing to compare to (yet) or a target to set it at, it might actually make things worse or skewed if you DO a calibration meant for something that is NOT earbuds IMO.

Jan 28, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #59,905 of 75,417
In terms of sound, the EB2S are a warm and smooth set. Well balanced, good coherency is present. The sound lies towards more analoguish than analytical.

Timbre is excellent. Technicalities wise, soundstage is very good, very open sounding set. Micro-details, imaging, instrument separation and clarity are very decent at this price point but perhaps not class leading.

Bass is just a tinge north of neutral and mid-bass focused, with a slight sub-bass tickle, like most run-of-the-mill earbuds. Bass isn't too textured, bass speed is moderate, with no mid-bass bleed. Lower mids are quite lush, with a slight boost in the upper mids. They are not too shouty unless played at high volumes (fletcher munson curve), or on poorly recorded material. Treble is quite well rendered, with minimal sibilance. Note edges are a tinge blunted and smoothened, this aids in giving a mellow sound signature.
just got my pair and ran a handful of songs through them, and here are impressions i wrote before reading yours. i think they align close enough:

i think it has enough midbass and impact, about average subbass extension for buds, doesnt seem as thin and shrill as the old EB2. mids seem pretty clear, maybe even female vocal forward.. doesnt seem sibilant, treble doesnt seem particularly noteworthy but im not complaining or anything. although there does seem to be decent resolution and separation as well

its one of those things where i cant find anything that jumps out as me as like 'wow this does this thing really well', like the way the chaconne can present vocals. its more like the reverse, i can keep listening and just enjoy them, without noticing any egregious flaws. so the more i listen the more i appreciate

anyway, at $20, pretty easy recommendation since the fit, mic option, and build quality seem to bring value. I enjoyed the ME80 a lot and this tuning i think is similar.

Jan 28, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #59,906 of 75,417
Excellent write-up on these. I am still awaiting mine but looking forward to them. These might be the perfect daily driver/beater for me. Most of my higher end buds aren't great for the daily rough-and-tumble day to day.

Would you call these dark then? Again, might be great for me. I don't really have anything warmish in my collection.

Yeah I think they can be a good budget daily beater set. Really I won't feel much heart pain if a budget set gets damaged, say compared to a TOTL earbud costing > $100 USD. And most of these TOTL earbuds are still non detachable, so they are just an awkward yank away from being a white elephant. I get paranoid bringing a TOTL earbud out on the go TBH.

They aren't dark actually. Maybe more of a neutral treble, but doesn't have the best clarity. I mean it isn't those fake ultraboosted treble that is not uncommon in CHIFI, that gives fake resolution.

just got my pair and ran a handful of songs through them, and here are impressions i wrote before reading yours. i think they align close enough:

i think it has enough midbass and impact, about average subbass extension for buds, doesnt seem as thin and shrill as the old EB2. mids seem pretty clear, maybe even female vocal forward.. doesnt seem sibilant, treble doesnt seem particularly noteworthy but im not complaining or anything. although there does seem to be decent resolution and separation as well

its one of those things where i cant find anything that jumps out as me as like 'wow this does this thing really well', like the way the chaconne can present vocals. its more like the reverse, i can keep listening and just enjoy them, without noticing any egregious flaws. so the more i listen the more i appreciate

anyway, at $20, pretty easy recommendation since the fit, mic option, and build quality seem to bring value. I enjoyed the ME80 a lot and this tuning i think is similar.

Yeah the EB2S has few weaknesses for this price point. No big flaws tuning wise, but also not the most technical (but looking at the $20 price puts things in perspective).

The ME80 is similar in tonality yeah, but I think the EB2S is a bit more technical than it, and fits better. Plus the Anime Waifu packaging LOL.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #59,907 of 75,417
By the way, have you tried the recent NiceHCK Silicone Ring?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002433465841.html

At first glance, it is similar to the Silicone Ring that has been around for a long time, such as Sennheiser, but it has a front and back of ring, a thick width, and even if I attach it to the MX500 series, which I am not good at, it will not fall off even if I exercise. Very well done.

I think it's worth trying if the earbuds often fall out of your ears.

EDIT:
My ear wax is viscous, so I also wear foam on top.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #59,908 of 75,417
By the way, have you tried the recent NiceHCK Silicone Ring?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002433465841.html

At first glance, it is similar to the Silicone Ring that has been around for a long time, such as Sennheiser, but it has a front and back of ring, a thick width, and even if I attach it to the MX500 series, which I am not good at, it will not fall off even if I exercise. Very well done.

I think it's worth trying if the earbuds often fall out of your ears.

Nice find.

Wow but the silicone ring cost more than the Vido in the above photo hahaha!

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #59,909 of 75,417
Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #59,910 of 75,417
jogawag,

Is the item still up at Amazon? I do not really need them, but purchased some rings some time ago at amazon.com, and just wanted to compare. Mine ended up being too slippery so I just decided to not use these silicon rings, but maybe a bought a very bad model.

I ask because your links above keep redirecting me to the main page, so I never see the intended link-at least on Google Chrome on an Android phone.

Be well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back