Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 28, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #59,911 of 75,443
jogawag,

Is the item still up at Amazon? I do not really need them, but purchased some rings some time ago at amazon.com, and just wanted to compare. Mine ended up being too slippery so I just decided to not use these silicon rings, but maybe a bought a very bad model.

I ask because your links above keep redirecting me to the main page, so I never see the intended link-at least on Google Chrome on an Android phone.

Be well.
From my Windows PC I can get the three shop pages I have shown.
Could there be a problem with your PC/Mobile settings?
I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

If you can log in to Aliexpress, try searching for "NiceHCK Silicone Ring" as a keyword.

Good luck.

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #59,912 of 75,443
Yeah I think they can be a good budget daily beater set. Really I won't feel much heart pain if a budget set gets damaged, say compared to a TOTL earbud costing > $100 USD. And most of these TOTL earbuds are still non detachable, so they are just an awkward yank away from being a white elephant. I get paranoid bringing a TOTL earbud out on the go TBH.

They aren't dark actually. Maybe more of a neutral treble, but doesn't have the best clarity. I mean it isn't those fake ultraboosted treble that is not uncommon in CHIFI, that gives fake resolution.

Yeah the EB2S has few weaknesses for this price point. No big flaws tuning wise, but also not the most technical (but looking at the $20 price puts things in perspective).

The ME80 is similar in tonality yeah, but I think the EB2S is a bit more technical than it, and fits better. Plus the Anime Waifu packaging LOL.
They sound like a pretty good deal to me. I am not expecting them to be TOTL killers in any respect. But to be quite listenable will be a surprise (reading about their predecessors), and most satisfactory to me.

Yeah, I STILL lament the un-attachable (albeit very nice) cable on the Chaconne. That would have made them nigh on perfect for my needs. Oh well, if ever the time comes for a cable breakage, that will be the day I get some usage out of my fancy hot air/soldering station that I have yet to use (bought to work on my broken Nintendo Switch, but found the problem wasn't something I could fix at home>>>CPU)... LOL
By the way, have you tried the recent NiceHCK Silicone Ring?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002433465841.html

At first glance, it is similar to the Silicone Ring that has been around for a long time, such as Sennheiser, but it has a front and back of ring, a thick width, and even if I attach it to the MX500 series, which I am not good at, it will not fall off even if I exercise. Very well done.

I think it's worth trying if the earbuds often fall out of your ears.

EDIT:
My ear wax is viscous, so I also wear foam on top.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
Those are really thick. Good find. I bought a kit that has an assortment of those, all in differing thickness, but none that thick.
jogawag,

Is the item still up at Amazon? I do not really need them, but purchased some rings some time ago at amazon.com, and just wanted to compare. Mine ended up being too slippery so I just decided to not use these silicon rings, but maybe a bought a very bad model.

I ask because your links above keep redirecting me to the main page, so I never see the intended link-at least on Google Chrome on an Android phone.

Be well.
If yours are too slick for you, you can soak them in alcohol for a few minutes, and rinse them off (well). That should not only soften them up a bit, but also make them a bit tackier. I wouldn't recommend doing this daily though as it will weaken the rubber/silicone in the end.

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #59,913 of 75,443
From my Windows PC I can get the three shop pages I have shown.
Could there be a problem with your PC/Mobile settings?
I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

If you can log in to Aliexpress, try searching for "NiceHCK Silicone Ring" as a keyword.

Good luck.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005002433465841.html? -that link, right?

(It was never your fault. My browser redirects me to the aliexpress mobile page. Must be an odd issue with the phone. Was never complaining about the links themselves.)

Seems pretty good and different from what I got earlier. Sorry for the trouble!

Jan 29, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #59,914 of 75,443
In truth, the variability of FR response that an earbud has when placed in a simulated ear let’s you know how much variation you’ll likely get when you place them in your own ears. Of course you also have the ability to feel the fit with you ear as well as you hand on your own head so you may well end up with less variability…. When placing it in a fixture, you only have feedback from your hand. The other thing that is cool about that is the fact that I’m sure I can easily tell my earbuds apart in spite of placement variations in my ear. I’ll always recognize my X6 as my X6 though it’s shape is the same as most of my buds. That’s evidence enough to demonstrate that frequency response isn’t the only thing you hear when you listen to anything. Inherent Timbre exists in drivers and tunings. Fit will certainly effect the tonal balance, but you’ll likely still recognize what bud is in you ear. Much like you would recognize your guitar if it was played in your bedroom or a gymnasium made by Dr. Gradus.

That also shows that if you are going to measure a bud, there’s reasons to have both types of graphs: one that’s consistent, and one that’s realistic. In fact, I think they are quite complimentary.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #59,915 of 75,443
Trying my new Chaconne replacement, 1st tested with test sine waves, and the drivers are evenly matched, sounding flat and wonderful again.

Kudos to Moondrop Labs *and* audio46 for not making the warranty process a big hassle. A new, old audio toy to enjoy anew. :)
Well, I must be jinxed. My Chaconne are showing an imbalance in one side now(by about -.25dB according to testing the balance setting in Neutron). Looking at the cable, there is a discoloration developing in one wire. I suspect it is an impurity in the wire, and might be what is causing the issue??? It is not too bad at this point, but I am concerned that it might get worse over time. Any thoughts or verification of this possibility?

I wonder if these have a warranty. If they do I might have to send them back... :frowning2:

Edit: It wasn't really that you put that notion into my head mind you. It has been happening for a while and I just thought that I was not getting the left bud into my ear as well as the other, so I would constantly adjust the left one. Then I switched ears, and noticed that difference on the right side...

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #59,916 of 75,443
Can you hear 0.25 dB? That might be measurable, but it’s not very audible. It might be audible if it’s over the entire spectrum, but I doubt you could even get drivers closer than that. Etymotic does 100% QC on their higher end models and they don‘t come within a fraction of a dB.

you might be experiencing a little Audiophilia Nervosa.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #59,917 of 75,443
Can you hear 0.25 dB? That might be measurable, but it’s not very audible. It might be audible if it’s over the entire spectrum, but I doubt you could even get drivers closer than that. Etymotic does 100% QC on their higher end models and they don‘t come within a fraction of a dB.

What is the threshold of when ur brain stops compensating for channel imbalance when using headphones/earphones? I'm sure it does doesn't it?

Jan 29, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #59,918 of 75,443
Well, I must be jinxed. My Chaconne are showing an imbalance in one side now(by about -.25dB according to testing the balance setting in Neutron). Looking at the cable, there is a discoloration developing in one wire. I suspect it is an impurity in the wire, and might be what is causing the issue??? It is not too bad at this point, but I am concerned that it might get worse over time. Any thoughts or verification of this possibility?

I wonder if these have a warranty. If they do I might have to send them back... :frowning2:

Edit: It wasn't really that you put that notion into my head mind you. It has been happening for a while and I just thought that I was not getting the left bud into my ear as well as the other, so I would constantly adjust the left one. Then I switched ears, and noticed that difference on the right side...

I think in general, most folks can't hear until a 3 dB channel imbalance. But if these have warranty, no harm exchanging it since there is a discolouration.

Jan 29, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #59,919 of 75,443
I LOL'ed. Thanks for that! The urban dictionary defines that as:
the anxiety resulting from the never-ending quest to obtain the ultimate performance from one's stereo system by means of employing state-of-the-art components, cables, and the use of certain 'tweaks.

While I agree that I should not be able to hear that small of an imbalance, I am hearing it (pretty noticeable too). Maybe the slider in Neutron Player isn't measured in dB (matter of fact, I would bet that it isn't because I can change it from -.25 to -.30 and hear a noticeable difference)???
Edit: My mistake, Neutron balance level is measured in -1, 0, and +1 (makes more sense seeing that).

I guess I just got used to it, insomuch as adjusting the left bud, thinking it was not in an equal spot (physically) in comparison to the right bud. But, once switching ears, it was clear that the volume coming from the right was not equal to the left. I dunno', but I am not so worried about it for now, it is if it gets worse and by then they are out of warranty.

Hmm, I just had a thought. Maybe I should take the foams off and check and see if it is clogged a bit? I sure hope not. If it is, that means I must have poor ear hygene... LOL
What is the threshold of when ur brain stops compensating for channel imbalance when using headphones/earphones? I'm sure it does doesn't it?
Exactly why I changed ears. But I would guess it is right at the level that @baskingshark mentioned. I don't really know either way, but I know that I can listen to them for an hour, or four hours, and I will (subconsciously, and continuously) adjust the position of the bud.

On another note, as a good surprise to me, my EB2s are due to be here tomorrow with the mail. Color me shocked.

Jan 29, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #59,921 of 75,443
I do not know the threshold, but I hear better from my left ear, and my brain compensates for all my audio gear so I can mostly only tell by switching ear pierces (when possible and symmetrical.)

In my case, the Chaconne issue was evident as the imbalance was obvious by default (my brain could not hide the fact there was an issue), and even more exacerbated if I placed them in reverse. Finally, a sine wave sweep showed a considerably less full sounding left channel, with uneven response, whereas the right was very full sounding and even throughout-just like the both new Chaconne earpieces repacements did.

It may have happened all of the sudden or gradually-that I have no scientific evidence of, so I cannot say the problem was instant or gradual, but that my brain detected the imbalance when I used them after some time enjoying other earphones. I made sure it wasn't just an imagined thing, and tested it several times-100% certain they were not intended to sound that way.

I did not have any discoloration on the cable, however, so that may be not a common issue. My 3.5mm plug bent a little with use, and the gold plating on the brass heads went away within weeks of use, always with foams on-those are the only additional two "issues" I found.

I am taking care of them like babies now in case they are fragile, as I love their sound and signature and do not wish to have issues again.

Note that I am not saying they are problematic or prone to issues-it's just psychological now that I had a problem with a pair. Perhaps I am the only one user in the world with the extreme imbalance/defective left driver issue. Not putting a while company down just for an unfortunate sample-as some are happy to do on reviews online for other products, audio or otherwise.

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #59,922 of 75,443
Jan 29, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #59,923 of 75,443
Thank you for your hard work-funny how the Shiro Yuki compares to the Chaconne, when it does not sound the same. From the measurements and using the Chaconne as a baseline, as it is the model I know best, I would be interested in but a few models, but I am sure there are other things to consider, as usual.

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #59,924 of 75,443
Thank you for your hard work-funny how the Shiro Yuki compares to the Chaconne, when it does not sound the same. From the measurements and using the Chaconne as a baseline, as it is the model I know best, I would be interested in but a few models, but I am sure there are other things to consider, as usual.
yeah, take these graphs with a huge grain of salt.

(although the Yincrow X6 vs K´s Samsara K300 looks very accurate.)

Jan 29, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #59,925 of 75,443
yeah, take these graphs with a huge grain of salt.

(although the Yincrow X6 vs K´s Samsara K300 looks very accurate.)
I get more or less the same relative difference between my Samsara and Vido (poor man X6),
Although both our graphs are probably not accurate at all :grin: it's nice to see we get the same consistent gaps around 20-750Hz and 2-6kHz.

immagine_2022-01-29_190129.png

immagine_2022-01-29_184739.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back