Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 25, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #59,851 of 75,317
So out of what I received recently: Monk SM, Qian 39, LBBS n Yincrow RW9...

I keep going back to the RW9.

Good ol MX500 shell.

The tuning is... I wouldn't call it warm... Balanced? Accurate? It's just a good all rounder with good bass and enough sparkle up top to make me notice the music. I'm especially digging it with Rock music.

I'm a yincrow fan now? Wonder what their higher tier stuff sound like, but maybe not worth it unless I upgrade my source...

Jan 25, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #59,852 of 75,317
Hello everyone,

Rose Technics' new earbud - Rose Martini

Both 3.5mm audio and 4.4mm balanced are available now !

https://penonaudio.com/rose-martini.html

1(19).jpg

Last edited:
PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Jan 25, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #59,853 of 75,317
So out of what I received recently: Monk SM, Qian 39, LBBS n Yincrow RW9...

I keep going back to the RW9.

Good ol MX500 shell.

The tuning is... I wouldn't call it warm... Balanced? Accurate? It's just a good all rounder with good bass and enough sparkle up top to make me notice the music. I'm especially digging it with Rock music.

I'm a yincrow fan now? Wonder what their higher tier stuff sound like, but maybe not worth it unless I upgrade my source...

You can try newbsound 32pro.

Jan 25, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #59,854 of 75,317
The Chinese sellers are probably on a LONG holiday for chinese new year, sometimes they take weeks off work before and after the actual event (1st Feb 2022). They work very hard throughout the rest of the year, so this period (and the golden week thing) are sacrosanct breaks for them. Probably the worst times to buy stuff or ask for communications as nobody is at work.

Delays will probably be expected around now. But hope you sort out your Chaconne and get some amicable settlement!
It seems Moondrop want me to deal with it through the store, but IME said store does not like to deal with warranties themselves after 30 days have passed, stating it's "faster" through the company. It probably is for companies such as Campfire Audio, but I doubt so for Moondrop. Now I have to tell the store the bad news, and see if they want to bounce back the ball to Moondrop, making the process longer than it should be.

At least Moondrop replied by Tuesday, January 25.

Anyone has had similar issues with warranties from China? Do stores in US handle it internally? Do not mean to make look bad either Moondrop or my local NYC store-just curious.

Jan 25, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #59,855 of 75,317
It seems Moondrop want me to deal with it through the store, but IME said store does not like to deal with warranties themselves after 30 days have passed, stating it's "faster" through the company. It probably is for companies such as Campfire Audio, but I doubt so for Moondrop. Now I have to tell the store the bad news, and see if they want to bounce back the ball to Moondrop, making the process longer than it should be.

At least Moondrop replied by Tuesday, January 25.

Anyone has had similar issues with warranties from China? Do stores in US handle it internally? Do not mean to make look bad either Moondrop or my local NYC store-just curious.

Usually the manufacturers will push u back to the store one bought the gear from. Some of these stores then try delaying tactics until the warranty timeline runs out. I guess just be firm and stand your ground. There's a Moondrop rep here on headfi, maybe can try messaging them too?

Anyways, returning stuff to China is a big hassle, sometimes the transport fees cost as much as the IEM/earbud itself.

Jan 25, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #59,856 of 75,317
Hey all!
I have a few earbud projects in mind but lately some communities who have known me made jokes on this, but i am going to develop a planar earbud.

Why?
Well, simply because it hasnt been done with being build up from the ground up! I want to create a completely original ear friendly shell similar to the mx500 and a brand new designed face plate to increase bass. Another reason is that @ClieOS development and work on doing his own versions have seriously helped in idea making and performance on how I can do this and approach it. I will be using a PLA printer to prototype this.

How?
Like mentioned before, I am going to design the earbud from the ground up, starting with the planar of choice (@captione ty for finding this!) with this 14.2mm planar speaker. The face plate will be adjusted and altered in order to fix bass issues as from ClieOS' work, the holes in an mx500 faceplate is simply too small. This limits the bass flow and I will be spending some time tuning the drivers with the shells and material. Input will be greatly appreciated!

Have you done this before?
Nope! But I have experience in product design and tuning for earbuds, though im no tuning master like Wong. I will do my best however.

valirl.png

Obligatory mascot thinking about this

Jan 25, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #59,857 of 75,317
Hey all!
I have a few earbud projects in mind but lately some communities who have known me made jokes on this, but i am going to develop a planar earbud.

Why?
Well, simply because it hasnt been done with being build up from the ground up! I want to create a completely original ear friendly shell similar to the mx500 and a brand new designed face plate to increase bass. Another reason is that @ClieOS development and work on doing his own versions have seriously helped in idea making and performance on how I can do this and approach it. I will be using a PLA printer to prototype this.

How?
Like mentioned before, I am going to design the earbud from the ground up, starting with the planar of choice (@captione ty for finding this!) with this 14.2mm planar speaker. The face plate will be adjusted and altered in order to fix bass issues as from ClieOS' work, the holes in an mx500 faceplate is simply too small. This limits the bass flow and I will be spending some time tuning the drivers with the shells and material. Input will be greatly appreciated!

Nope! But I have experience in product design and tuning for earbuds, though im no tuning master like Wong. I will do my best however.

valirl.png

Looking forward to that!

As well as your Qian39/MX500 hybrid (DIYian p2) coming to me atm. :fire:

Jan 25, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #59,858 of 75,317
very interesting, thank you...
I listen to classical and jazz too, may I ask you what is your gear, what are you used to? I think I am close to my musical happyness with xd-05 bal (being rolling the opamps, though), niceHCK ebx21, Rose Maria II (and monk lite, together with akg k309 for non critical listening). Still I am always curious to try something new... this rabbit hoole is soooooooo deeeeeeeeeeep. The sound of my Blur is too forward, no deepness at all, although very precise in rendering sound, especially voices. (Probably with lack of separation.) Can you tell us more about your feelings with the newbsound? thank you
Earbuds, iems, dac/amp (dongles), cables… The rabbit hole is indeed very deep. Concerning Newbsound. I’ve put on donut foams to attenuate the bass slightly. At the moment I prefer listening to them with my Fiio BTR5. The Fiio is strangely more musical with these buds than my technically more proficient Earmen Sparrow. Bass as said is astonishing. Voices are also impressive. Cymbals have a natural decay. Soundstage and separation is very good. The real value of hifi equipment is almost never equal to the sum of its parts. In this case I no longer keep on pondering how bass, mids, treble, separation etc. are doing because these buds make me listen to the music.

Jan 25, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #59,859 of 75,317
I love my Maria (1). What impresses me most is how coherent she sounds with two drivers. Rose Technics (and its university student founders) did a heck of a tuning job. I like to listen to Maria with a warm source, like Sony, that lifts low mids and thickens the sound. Other dual driver earbuds I have, 1More E1008, Xiaomi BRE01JY, Dunu Alpha 1, are pretty awful in comparison.
WOW! A fellow Dunu Alpha 1 owner. For me the Dunu are a better all-rounder because they are like a lite version of the Maria II, but without that ear splitting upper-mid/lower treble. In fairness, I don't have anything (source-wise) that is warm to use them on. Though that could be changing very soon. iBasso is releasing (at some point) a new amp card that will be a tube amp. I am hoping that it will be much warmer because the Maria II is, otherwise, superior in every other way.
Hey all!

Why?

How?

valirl.png

OMG! I am so in all the way. I LOVE planar sound, and TWS and earbuds are the only thing left that I need to have a good planar sound with.

- You build it, and they will come - :yum:

P.S. Love the mascot. Val the assassin kitty??? Or is it Val the social distancing kitty??? hehe

Jan 25, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #59,861 of 75,317
Hey all!

Why?

How?

Good luck!

Tis an ambitious project, especially since planars are a different ball game versus conventional drivers. But I think it will standout from the run of the mill stuff if pulled off successfully! If you sell them let us know!

Generally planars are power hungry beasts, so I think the market segment to sell them are very different from the casual peeps who just use low powered smartphones.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #59,862 of 75,317
Good luck!

Tis an ambitious project, especially since planars are a different ball game versus conventional drivers. But I think it will standout from the run of the mill stuff if pulled off successfully! If you sell them let us know!

Generally planars are power hungry beasts, so I think the market segment to sell them are very different from the casual peeps who just use low powered smartphones.
oh, I doubt this would be cheap.

The driver we are looking at alone is over 100 usd.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002397810175.html

Jan 25, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #59,863 of 75,317
OMG! I am so in all the way. I LOVE planar sound, and TWS and earbuds are the only thing left that I need to have a good planar sound with.

- You build it, and they will come - :yum:

P.S. Love the mascot. Val the assassin kitty??? Or is it Val the social distancing kitty??? hehe

Guess a first for everything!
Thank you! Val is based off my profile picture to show my love for cats, and also the scarf is something i wear everyday :p

Good luck!

I absolutely will! If this project is a success, I am going to sell these but it wont be cheap as what @RikudouGoku said, they cost most a good amount...

Jan 25, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #59,864 of 75,317
oh, I doubt this would be cheap.

The driver we are looking at alone is over 100 usd.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002397810175.html
Yeah, but with a good driver, and tuned well, they would be worth it IMO.
Good luck!

I agree, and can see why this hasn't really been tackled to this point. But with DAPs getting more and more powerful, I think it is a good time to implement such an earbud.

I love going to threads on here for things like the 7Hz Timeless only to see most people on there who have never heard planars before, being amazed at the different sound they produce. :) Once upon a time, one had to mortgage their house to afford a decent pair of planars (let alone good ones), but nowadays the tech is getting cheaper where all can enjoy them.

Jan 25, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #59,865 of 75,317
Yeah, but with a good driver, and tuned well, they would be worth it IMO.

I agree, and can see why this hasn't really been tackled to this point. But with DAPs getting more and more powerful, I think it is a good time to implement such an earbud.

I love going to threads on here for things like the 7Hz Timeless only to see most people on there who have never heard planars before, being amazed at the different sound they produce. :) Once upon a time, one had to mortgage their house to afford a decent pair of planars (let alone good ones), but nowadays the tech is getting cheaper where all can enjoy them.
Sorry, bad Google translation. What kind of damper did you install? Y1-Y6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back