Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 20, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #59,762 of 75,599
Received a review unit for the HZSound Bell Rhyme.

fccc924e-d2af-429d-80cc-97b5dd8e656f.jpg

HZSound are famous for the cult classic Heart Mirror IEM, which are a technical neutral bright budget set that has a huge following on some FB groups.

The Bell Rhyme come with a denim carry pouch, 2 pairs of donut foams and 2 pairs of full foams.

9695d5d9-2dfa-4a48-8f27-00da63b3f17c.jpg
0ac2d4e7-4778-4dd5-9d14-1d3abec24cab.jpg

The cable is non detachable, and there is an option for a mic versus non-mic version. Even though they are non-detachable, the cables are not microphonic and quite tangle free.

Comfort is good, they have a similar shape to the ME80 and Faaeal Datura Pro. They are easy to drive, no amping necessary.

Sound signature is a U-shaped sound profile, mid-bass centric with a sub-bass roll off as per most earbuds. Bass is on the faster side with a mild mid-bass bleed, texturing is average. Mids are boosted at the upper mids and at moderate/low volumes, they are not fatiguing/shouty. But as per the Fletcher Munson Curve, playing this set at loud volumes may be a bit fatiguing at this region. The treble is not the most extended, minimal sibilance.

Timbre is excellent. Technicalities wise, imaging, layering and instrument separation are quite good for a $20 set. Though micro-details are not classleading. Soundstage is just average.

Compared to the Smabat M2S Pro (150 ohm driver), this set is easier to drive, and has less sub-bass. The Bell Rhyme have better soundstage, imaging and instrument separation, but have a thinner note weight.

Compared to the Yincrow X6, the Bell Rhyme have a less textured sub-bass and less bass extension, but technicalities and soundstage go to the Bell Rhyme.

6813d4e5-c822-47d0-9c36-e9c6575e89b7.jpg

All in all, quite a decent pair of earbuds here. Nothing really ground breaking, but quite an all-rounder set in view of the U-shaped tuning. Not the most technical, does nothing really wrong, and I think those in this earbud hobby would have owned something better. This will be a good introductory set to those coming to the earbud rabbithole.

Jan 20, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #59,763 of 75,599
Neat! You posted my humble rig (although very ghetto and scuffed)

Here's the packaging of the in-ear adapters if someone is very interested to track them down. Courtesy of my friend from Japan that gave me the tips:

Hope you guys get graphing in no time :)

I've got them!
Although I had to cut off the tips as they were too long for my ear holes.

I can listen to the sound from the earbuds through them with amazing clarity!

And they removed my weakness towards the big and thick MX500 type earbuds.
I highly recommend them to anyone who is not a fan of the MX500 type earbuds like me.

Thanks to captione and RikudouGoku for the heads up!

earbuds_cap.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #59,764 of 75,599
Screenshot 2022-01-21 at 05.59.57.png

after spending more time with them, i think eb2s are a nice step up from the ME80. It's like a slightly warmer, smoother, fuller sounding ME80, but with better technical performance. really liking them so far. i think might be an easier rec for me over the LBBS actually. LBBS is great for female vocals, so it's still worth every penny to me. But EB2S seems more flexible with the warmer and smoother tuning while providing detail retrieval that are around the same ballpark. Like the me80 it seems to have a bit more upper treble compared to the LBBS too, which gives cymbals a nicer sounding decay.
wider soundstage than the LBBS too and easier to listen to for longer sessions as well. Really enjoying it so far.
OH! That's fantastic to hear. You have turned what was an impulse buy (for giggles), into some real excitement on my part. I wasn't expecting much to be honest other than that they look pretty nice. You have made it worse for me, because I was fine waiting the exorbitant shipping time to arrive but now I am begrudging the slow shipping. :)
Just received and have been auditioning the; Moondrop Quarks, HZsound Bell Rhymes, and CCA CRAs while I'm waiting on delivery of the Kotori Dauntless from kickstarter.

But as I was going through listening to all these relatively new products and then flipping back and forth between these and some fairly oldies but goodies for comparison it made me realize that the stuff I already own seem to sound just as good if not better than these recently acquired and highly praised items.

For instance the Moondrop Quarks don't seem that much better fit and sound to me than my old Final E500 or Zero Audio Carbo Tenore who have a very similar similar form factor. Or the HZ Bell Rhymes being a nice sounding bud but then finding that my much cheaper and old reliable FENGRU Tingo TC200 original Silver 32ohm still held their own against it. And then there's the old original QKZ VK4 versus this new CCA CRA versus my Etymotic ER2XR

Even my new 7Hz Timeless, although a great sounding set wasn't able to create the same eye opening experience as when I first heard the original TIN P1 or BLON B03.
Is it all just incremental improvements at this point or is there really something left build wise that hasn't been tried yet?
Has the rule of diminishing returns finally been reached?
I whole heartedly agree with this statement and wonder the same thing. I think this has been true for MANY years IMO. I still have some phones from days gone past, that are (IMO) unmatched to this day, just tweaked copies. But the journey is still fun, to be sure.

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #59,765 of 75,599

after spending more time with them, i think eb2s are a nice step up from the ME80. It's like a slightly warmer, smoother, fuller sounding ME80, but with better technical performance. really liking them so far. i think might be an easier rec for me over the LBBS actually. LBBS is great for female vocals, so it's still worth every penny to me. But EB2S seems more flexible with the warmer and smoother tuning while providing detail retrieval that are around the same ballpark. Like the me80 it seems to have a bit more upper treble compared to the LBBS too, which gives cymbals a nicer sounding decay.
wider soundstage than the LBBS too and easier to listen to for longer sessions as well. Really enjoying it so far.

I think what you are saying isthat I might enjoy the EB2S's very much! :beerchug:

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #59,766 of 75,599
Regarding your post a while ago, where did you get those earbuds or earbuds shells?
Please tell me the url.

Hello, I reused the Nokia HDS3 shell, the only way to get them is to look for them on ebay or second-hand in a local store, they are very comfortable, I get an excellent sound in the tunings I make on them and I think they look spectacular......

here are two of my best buds, both LCP (120 Ohm and 40 Ohm)

63.jpg

41.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #59,767 of 75,599
Hello, I just reused the Nokia HDS3 shell, the only way to get them is to look for them on ebay or second-hand in a local store, they are very comfortable, I get an excellent sound in the tunings I make on them and I think they look spectacular......

63.jpg

41.jpg

Beautiful stuff.

Last year was the year of the beryllium driver hypetrain, the past few months, LCP drivers are all the rage in the IEM world - eg Moondrop Aria 2021, Tin T3 Plus, DUNU Titan S.

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #59,768 of 75,599
Hello, I just reused the Nokia HDS3 shell, the only way to get them is to look for them on ebay or second-hand in a local store, they are very comfortable, I get an excellent sound in the tunings I make on them and I think they look spectacular......

63.jpg

41.jpg
It's so cool!

By the way, what is the diameter of the suitable driver? 15.4mm or 14.8mm?

Thank you in advance.

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #59,769 of 75,599
It's so cool!

By the way, what is the diameter of the suitable driver? 15.4mm or 14.8mm?

Thank you in advance.

It is 15.4 mm, you know that anything you need I will help you without problem.

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #59,770 of 75,599

63.jpg

41.jpg
Cylons v2! What an epic build!
1642753898416.png

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #59,771 of 75,599
Hello, I reused the Nokia HDS3 shell, the only way to get them is to look for them on ebay or second-hand in a local store, they are very comfortable, I get an excellent sound in the tunings I make on them and I think they look spectacular......

63.jpg

41.jpg

Attachments

• JJ_01.jpg
    JJ_01.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 21, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #59,772 of 75,599

have you heard of faaeal datura pro? If yes how is it compared?

Jan 21, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #59,774 of 75,599
Just received and have been auditioning the; Moondrop Quarks, HZsound Bell Rhymes, and CCA CRAs while I'm waiting on delivery of the Kotori Dauntless from kickstarter.

But as I was going through listening to all these relatively new products and then flipping back and forth between these and some fairly oldies but goodies for comparison it made me realize that the stuff I already own seem to sound just as good if not better than these recently acquired and highly praised items.

For instance the Moondrop Quarks don't seem that much better fit and sound to me than my old Final E500 or Zero Audio Carbo Tenore who have a very similar similar form factor. Or the HZ Bell Rhymes being a nice sounding bud but then finding that my much cheaper and old reliable FENGRU Tingo TC200 original Silver 32ohm still held their own against it. And then there's the old original QKZ VK4 versus this new CCA CRA versus my Etymotic ER2XR

Even my new 7Hz Timeless, although a great sounding set wasn't able to create the same eye opening experience as when I first heard the original TIN P1 or BLON B03.
Is it all just incremental improvements at this point or is there really something left build wise that hasn't been tried yet?
Has the rule of diminishing returns finally been reached?
Okay, so just convinced me on the FENGRU Tingo TC200 original Silver 32ohm "mmcx version". Just placed an order on Taobao.
Thanks! :beerchug:

-Clear

Jan 21, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #59,775 of 75,599
Beautiful stuff.

Last year was the year of the beryllium driver hypetrain, the past few months, LCP drivers are all the rage in the IEM world - eg Moondrop Aria 2021, Tin T3 Plus, DUNU Titan S.
You forgot DLC hype :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back