Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 19, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #59,746 of 75,254
So I'm new here, jumped into the rabbit hole just a couple of days ago.
I never liked IEs or any closed headphones. I did had a nice rather neutral pair of IEs with less bass, but my daddy took them from me and I never bothered because I was repositioning them all the time anyway. Also, I've had a Sony 7506, very interesting at first, but very fatiguing in the long run. 58X are OK for me, but mine are a bit modified (foam only around the driver), bass not punchy, not enough detail. I like the Hifiman HE400i(2020) for detail and controlled bass, but I feel my next step-up should have more organic sound (is this called timbre?)

I'd like to share my orders so far, please comment, what should I expect, what have I missed.

1) Little Black Bell S LBBS - because I like the design and the described sound signature and everybody says those are great. Less bass which should be ok with me.
2) NiceHCK B40 - because I wanted a PK-shell with a nice cable, just to see if the shell fits me. OK for blogs/vocal, so I do have use for this.
3) Earbuds Anonymous - because I wanted a MX500-shell with a nice cable, just to see if the shell fits me. Should have less fatiguing heights than others, I hope they are not too veiled.
4) Monks Plus - because I was already ordering Avani & Abigail. Should be an alternative to B40 for blogs/vocals without harsh heights.
5) Monks SM - because i like the metal build. I'm aware that the heights could be harsh and the bass missing, but who knows.
6) Sony MDR E-535 - because I owned a similar Sony's in the 90's, which I haven't found again, despite of googling for days. Mine had a somwhat thicker non-removable rim made of soft foam rubber (kind of casted, glued to the metal mesh), very durable but comfortable at the same time.

Headphones owned: Sennheiser HD58X, Hifiman 400i(2020), PortaPro, Ultrasone HFI-15G
DAC-AMPs owned: Apogee Groove, Dragonfly red (on the way out), VE Avani & Abigail (on the way in)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #59,747 of 75,254
I never liked IEs or any closed headphones. I did had a nice rather neutral pair of IEs with less bass, but my daddy took them from me and I never bothered because I was repositioning them all the time anyway. Also, I've had a Sony 7506, very interesting at first, but very fatiguing in the long run. 58X are OK for me, but mine are a bit modified (foam only around the driver), bass not punchy, not enough detail. I like the Hifiman HE400i(2020) for detail and controlled bass, but I feel my next step-up should have more organic sound (is this called timbre?)

I'd like to share my orders so far, please comment, what should I expect, what have I missed.

1) Little Black Bell S LBBS - because I like the design and the described sound signature and everybody says those are great. Less bass which should be ok with me.
2) NiceHCK B40 - because I wanted a PK-shell with a nice cable, just to see if the shell fits me. OK for blogs/vocal, so I do have use for this.
3) Earbuds Anonymous - because I wanted a MX500-shell with a nice cable, just to see if the shell fits me. Should have less fatiguing heights than others, I hope they are not too veiled.
4) Monks Plus - because I was already ordering Avani & Abigail. Should be an alternative to B40 for blogs/vocals without harsh heights.
5) Monks SM - because i like the metal build. I'm aware that the heights could be harsh and the bass missing, but who knows.
6) Sony MDR E-535 - because I owned a similar Sony's in the 90's, which I haven't found again, despite of googling for days. Mine had a somwhat thicker non-removable rim made of soft foam rubber (kind of casted, glued to the metal mesh), very durable but comfortable at the same time.

Headphones owned: Sennheiser HD58X, Hifiman 400i(2020), PortaPro, Ultrasone HFI-15G
DAC-AMPs owned: Apogee Groove, Dragonfly red (on the way out), VE Avani & Abigail (on the way in)

Tingo TG38S I think it fits perfectly in your collection

https://a.aliexpress.com/_v4Zlgh

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #59,748 of 75,254

The LBBS and the NiceHCK B40 are both earbuds that I would recommend.

I haven't listened to the Earbuds Anonymous, but it has a good reputation, so it's probably a good earbud. (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-anonymous-earbud.920882/)
The Earbuds Anonymous is not an MX500-shell, but conveniently the Monk Plus is an MX500-shell.

Then there's the Monk SM, which is a good sounding earbuds (IMO), not too harsh on the treble and with good bass.

Lastly is the Sony MDR-E535, I had no idea about this one and I don't know how to get it.
What about the Sony MDR-E9LP (https://www.amazon.com//dp/B004RE3YNA/?th=1) with higher ratings instead?

The DIY TG-38S is also an MX500-shell.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #59,749 of 75,254
If you are talking about couplers for measuring frequency responses of earbuds, I designed a small piece to fit my IEC60318-4 microphone.
I then fabricated it on my little 3D printer at work.
You can see some pictures here.
I also made a small 0.5mm hole in it to allow the bass to breathe, otherwise the bass would come out very swollen. With a bigger hole, the bass was very light.
After several trials, I came to a compromise.

I don't think the graphs are very realistic, but they could be useful for comparison.

246074194_392989405851351_2681794413922107458_n.jpg246015274_405703064415495_4270350914043748838_n.jpg243000875_1020115735476970_9096931495508700344_n.jpg218320680_571615130495884_5502460684097200706_n.jpg
Smabat M0 vs Smabat M2 PRO.png

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #59,750 of 75,254
Jan 19, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #59,751 of 75,254
I've shared this before but this is my DIY measurement rig.

I made a mold of my own ear (in lieu of buying a silicone one) using some hobby supplies.

IMG_20200806_160441.jpg

IMG_20200806_175039.jpg

IMG_20200806_192012.jpg
IMG_20200806_192036.jpg

Using that mold I was able to take many measurements that seemed similar to what I 'think' I hear. And came out similar to IEM and headphone graphs.

I then came up with a better design, that would allow for way more consistent measurements. I made a bunch of versions until I could match my ear mold measurements.

IMG_20200901_165010.jpg

IMG_20201224_132725.jpg

It does a very good job imo. Holds the earbuds without undue pressure which skews the low end measurements. It also only blocks around 40-50% of the edge, similar to how the buds are held in the ear and seal with foams at the face of the foam.

IMG_20201225_184050.jpg

Be 120Ω vs Ks LB vs ST-10 45Ω.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #59,752 of 75,254

I only have 2 from this list and wouldn't recommend either.
For me the Monk plus is mediocre, so will get absolutely no ear time from me, despite only have a few earbuds.

More controversially, I am also not a fan of the LBBS. The fit isn't great for me, the lightest movement of my head causes them to slip slightly and out of best position impacting sound. Foams don't seem to help for me. If I do manage to get these to stay in place then they are still not for me. There is too much emphasis on upper mids that make vocals sound unnatural to me and therefore unengaging.
Both the Vido and Qian39 are much more natural sounding to me and also a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #59,753 of 75,254
For me the Monk plus is mediocre, so will get absolutely no ear time from me, despite only have a few earbuds.

More controversially, I am also not a fan of the LBBS. The fit isn't great for me, the lightest movement of my head causes them to slip slightly and out of best position impacting sound. Foams don't seem to help for me. If I do manage to get these to stay in place then they are still not for me. There is too much emphasis on upper mids that make vocals sound unnatural to me and therefore unengaging.
Both the Vido and Qian39 are much more natural sounding to me and also a lot cheaper.
OMG! You are not a fan of LBBS? Turn in your decoder ring, and you are out of the club... :)

BTW! J/K I haven't ever heard them (yet).

But I have found a lot of the cheaper earbuds (and some higher end ones too) tend to overtune that upper-mid lower treble. I don't mind some (even though I am sensitive), but some companies so overdo it, they sound like something from old mono radio days (tonally). hehe

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #59,754 of 75,254

I believe you would prefer something like M2s Pro or VE Asura 2.0

Jan 19, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #59,755 of 75,254
I believe you would prefer something like M2s Pro or VE Asura 2.0
Thanks, I think!
That sends me down a rabbit hole!
This seems a good price for M2S Pro:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002624547944.html
A rabbit whole with the modular different drivers and because VE has Asura 3.0 not 2.0.
Things are a bit quiet in the office today, so could be a challenge to get through the day without ordering something!

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #59,756 of 75,254
Jan 20, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #59,757 of 75,254
M2S Pro seem like a rabbit hole in the rabbit hole with all those alternative drivers. That's why I tried to avoid them:)
I have been use the stock 40 ohms driver for six month and happy with it. Don't see the need to change the driver. The only downside is that is too large for my ears. My ears fit LBBs perfectly, and since you don't, I would think M2s pro would be a good fit for you.

Thanks, I think!
That sends me down a rabbit hole!
This seems a good price for M2S Pro:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002624547944.html
A rabbit whole with the modular different drivers and because VE has Asura 3.0 not 2.0.
Things are a bit quiet in the office today, so could be a challenge to get through the day without ordering something!
I hope you like it bro! Just close you eye and order it haha!

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #59,758 of 75,254
Screenshot 2022-01-21 at 05.59.57.png

after spending more time with them, i think eb2s are a nice step up from the ME80. It's like a slightly warmer, smoother, fuller sounding ME80, but with better technical performance. really liking them so far. i think might be an easier rec for me over the LBBS actually. LBBS is great for female vocals, so it's still worth every penny to me. But EB2S seems more flexible with the warmer and smoother tuning while providing detail retrieval that are around the same ballpark. Like the me80 it seems to have a bit more upper treble compared to the LBBS too, which gives cymbals a nicer sounding decay.
wider soundstage than the LBBS too and easier to listen to for longer sessions as well. Really enjoying it so far.

Jan 20, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #59,759 of 75,254
Just received and have been auditioning the; Moondrop Quarks, HZsound Bell Rhymes, and CCA CRAs while I'm waiting on delivery of the Kotori Dauntless from kickstarter.

But as I was going through listening to all these relatively new products and then flipping back and forth between these and some fairly oldies but goodies for comparison it made me realize that the stuff I already own seem to sound just as good if not better than these recently acquired and highly praised items.

For instance the Moondrop Quarks don't seem that much better fit and sound to me than my old Final E500 or Zero Audio Carbo Tenore who have a very similar similar form factor. Or the HZ Bell Rhymes being a nice sounding bud but then finding that my much cheaper and old reliable FENGRU Tingo TC200 original Silver 32ohm still held their own against it. And then there's the old original QKZ VK4 versus this new CCA CRA versus my Etymotic ER2XR

Even my new 7Hz Timeless, although a great sounding set wasn't able to create the same eye opening experience as when I first heard the original TIN P1 or BLON B03.
Is it all just incremental improvements at this point or is there really something left build wise that hasn't been tried yet?
Has the rule of diminishing returns finally been reached?

Jan 20, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #59,760 of 75,254

Users who are viewing this thread

Back