Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 18, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #59,717 of 75,871
Hey there pips.
This could be a long shot/silly question.
But anyone here that came across an earbud that sounds similar or close to the tin hifi P1?
Funny, I just listened to a pair of these just a few weeks back! I never liked TinHiFi's other IEMs as they were always too bright and sibilant for my sensitive tastes. However, I found the P1 to be a completely different animal than say the T3 or T2 (I think it was the "Pro" version). I found the P1's primary signature to be neutral - slightly bright leaning... but far from being sibilant or bright so I think I could safely say it wouldn't satisfy a treblehead. Very detailed and resolute the P1 provides excellent timbre. It exhibits a very unique strong secondary signature that is dark & immersive but never muddy, veiled, too dry, nor boring. The P1 also offers a slightly weaker secondary signature that is detailed in the upper mid-range to lower treble.

It is very hard to compare the typically flatter, more neutral sound signature of a planar magnetic with that of a dynamic driver.

With that said, dare I offer a possible close resemblance to the Shozy 大黑 Big Black (BK) Stardust which also has a very similar rich darkness about it without sacrificing detail and resolution. The timbre is probably very similar as well. Though the BK is slightly warmer overall with a primary signature that is neutral - warm leaning.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #59,718 of 75,871
Funny, I just listened to a pair of these just a few weeks back! I never liked TinHiFi's other IEMs as they were always too bright and sibilant for my sensitive tastes. However, I found the P1 to be a completely different animal than say the T3 or T2 (I think it was the "Pro" version). I found the P1's primary signature to be neutral - slightly bright leaning... but far from being sibilant or bright so I think I could safely say it wouldn't satisfy a treblehead. Very detailed and resolute the P1 provides excellent timbre. It exhibits a very unique strong secondary signature that is dark & immersive but never muddy, veiled, too dry, nor boring. The P1 also offers a slightly weaker secondary signature that is detailed in the upper mid-range to lower treble.

It is very hard to compare the typically flatter, more neutral sound signature of a planar magnetic with that of a dynamic driver.

With that said, dare I offer a possible close resemblance to the Shozy 大黑 Big Black (BK) Stardust which also has a very similar rich darkness about it without sacrificing detail and resolution. The timbre is probably very similar as well. Though the BK is slightly warmer overall with a primary signature that is neutral - warm leaning.
Had the same experience with Tin Hifi iems. Only the P1 suits my preference.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and might consider the stardust.
Appreciate it bud :)

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #59,719 of 75,871

Had the same experience with Tin Hifi iems. Only the P1 suits my preference.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and might consider the stardust.
Appreciate it bud :)
WOW! @WoodyLuvr I guess I had never thought to ask on here if there WAS something similar, because I love them as well, and they are still in my daily rotation. When you describe the P1, are you talking about the OG or the P1+ version? I know that they re-released it recently as the plus version, and honestly I am not sure exactly what has changed.

I will have a look at the Stardust also. Thanks!

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #59,720 of 75,871
honestly I am not sure exactly what has changed.
Tonality change, it went from Bright-neutral with way too much upper-treble and with poor timbre to warm-neutral and addressed those 2 factors.

Not sure if there is any buds similar to either of them, because a planar is quite different from a DD.

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #59,721 of 75,871
WOW! @WoodyLuvr I guess I had never thought to ask on here if there WAS something similar, because I love them as well, and they are still in my daily rotation. When you describe the P1, are you talking about the OG or the P1+ version? I know that they re-released it recently as the plus version, and honestly I am not sure exactly what has changed.

I will have a look at the Stardust also. Thanks!
A very good question. I'll need to double check with my buddy to confirm... after reading @RikudouGoku's response I have no idea now but I do believe it is the newer "+" version.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #59,722 of 75,871
Does anyone know where you can find something like this?

1642513407241.png

Earbud to iem converter, I want to try it and measure it.

Since someone managed to get some decent looking (and consistent) graphs.
1642513434581.png

1642513451690.png

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #59,723 of 75,871
Does anyone know where you can find something like this?

Earbud to iem converter, I want to try it and measure it.

Since someone managed to get some decent looking (and consistent) graphs.

It's the first time i see that kind of earbud to iem adapter but there are some similar items on Ali that could be glued to a mic.
Yurbuds adapters:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32860195064.html
Silicon adapters:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33019014929.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968652740.html

(These are just the first results i found, if you want to try them make sure to get the right size).

Keep in mind that you wouldn't be able to use foams and the frequency response would be very different compared to real use.

I'm developing my own "poor man" diy measurement rigs, the idea is to get something that can get consistent results with minimum to no expense (i don't want to 3d print an adapter and buy a calibrated mic, all my money is already going into new earbuds :sweat_smile:)
These improvised rigs can only provide consistency, don't expect accuracy out of a dubious thing glued to a cheap mic.
They can still be a useful tool to tune diy earbuds or to get an idea of the differences between 2 or more earbuds.

IMG_20220118_194810.jpg
(Samsung earbuds mic in a polystyrene box on the left and Nokia HDS3 mic inside carved wood on the right)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #59,724 of 75,871
It's the first time i see that kind of earbud to iem adapter but there are some similar items on Ali that could be glued to a mic.
Yurbuds adapters:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32860195064.html
Silicon adapters:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33019014929.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968652740.html

(These are just the first results i found, if you want to try them make sure to get the right size).

Keep in mind that you wouldn't be able to use foams and the frequency response would be very different compared to real use.

I'm developing my own "poor man" diy measurement rigs, the idea is to get something that can get consistent results with minimum to no expense (i don't want to 3d print an adapter and buy a calibrated mic, all my money is already going into new earbuds :sweat_smile:)
These improvised rigs can only provide consistency, don't expect accuracy out of a dubious thing glued to a cheap mic.
They can still be a useful tool to tune diy earbuds or to get an idea of the differences between 2 or more earbuds.

IMG_20220118_194810.jpg
(Samsung earbuds mic in a polystyrene box on the left and Nokia HDS3 mic inside carved wood on the right)
Interesting, those adapters might work with a regular IEC711 coupler (like I got). But there is no size specified on those....

A cheaper coupler than the IEC711 (which is 80 usd), would be the Dayton IMM-6 (20-30 usd), but you probably know about it already.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #59,725 of 75,871
Interesting, those adapters might work with a regular IEC711 coupler (like I got). But there is no size specified on those....

A cheaper coupler than the IEC711 (which is 80 usd), would be the Dayton IMM-6 (20-30 usd), but you probably know about it already.
I already got recommended the IMM-6 but it's around 35€ here and i'd rather buy a second pair of Smabat Super One drivers :ksc75smile:

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #59,726 of 75,871
I already got recommended the IMM-6 but it's around 35€ here and i'd rather buy a second pair of Smabat Super One drivers :ksc75smile:
ouch, thats expensive. And you still need to do some DIY work on it to make it work for iems, let alone earbuds lol.

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #59,728 of 75,871
Jan 18, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #59,730 of 75,871
_DSC3033.jpg

I received my second bud from Earbud CustomArt today. This one is from a previous model line 'Garuda', taking inspiration in its design from its namesake, the mythological bird-like Garuda of South East Asian culture.

It has a midforward signature that reveals tonnes of detail in vocals/guitar/strings. It has a noticeable midbass emphasis that can kick when it needs to and gives body to percussion/cello/viol. Very resolving from top to bottom, excellent timbre and a lovely spacious stage. Subbass is rolled off, but not egregiously so and rarely becomes an issue with my library.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back