Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 15, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #56,221 of 75,405
If the shell size is the same, they can sound different only because of different internal structure. Probably someone has photos of inner cavity for both model?
Here is for the M2s version.
00000IMG_00000_BURST20210716082616447_COVER.jpg

Jul 15, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #56,223 of 75,405
Ok. What we have here. M2 Pro vs M2s Pro

M2 Pro is completely different model then M2s Pro.
First inner cavity of M2 Pro is very shallow because of tuning module which allows the rear sound wave to pass through the very center into the rear chamber. Obviously, the M2 Pro model has a larger rear chamber than the M2s Pro model.
This difference in cavity size alone is enough to totally produce a different sound by using the same driver.
Shallow cavity will reflect back sound wave quicker and because of it we get intimate sound. Otherwise, when the depth is a little bigger, sound is more spacious.

M2s Pro had to use more depth due to the connector on the back of the driver so that the connector itself reduces the volume of free space inside the shell. Also, we see different position of the back rear chamber hole (non-center position).

I assume that M2/M2s Pro uses transmission line "like" system similar to ST-10 model, but I can see whether the length is the same on both models, and this will greatly affect the quality and quantity of low end.

Conclusion. Which model is better? It all depends on personal preference.
M2 Pro provides more options when it comes to different drivers (15.4mm) which is not the case with the M2s Pro model which only allows the use of drivers from the Smabat collection.
As for the sound itself, yes, there will be differences when you use the same driver with these two shells.
Now it all depends on your personal taste which model you choose.
I hope this helped a little to uncover the secret behind these two models :beerchug:

1626396282999.png

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #56,224 of 75,405
If I touch this side of the driver I felt grounded.

1626397705619.png
Obviously, the new M2s Pro connection system has a lot of flaws, and they should sit down at the drawing board and come up with a better solution for this.

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #56,225 of 75,405
Switching back, the 40 ohm definitely sound more dynamic, clean and spacious. The 150ohm remind me of how the HD650 sound on lower power sources.
I think I’ve got to get balanced cables with the gift coupon, but I’ll try them on my JDS Atom FIRST just to hear if that’s the issue.

Have u tried amping the 150 ohm driver. I bought it and it is on the way, but on the original smabat ST10S black gold 150 ohm driver, it surely needs amping.

Sounds very flat and meh when underpowered.

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #56,227 of 75,405
I am curious if the Gold driver for the M2s Pro is the same as what is in the black/gold ST10s 150ohm?! It says on the product page that it is a custom driver.

Will need someone to open the shell of the ST10S black gold to verify that. Sorry I don't have much DIY skills to do this, and I don't dare to break open my black gold.

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #56,228 of 75,405
Not a super big deal, as I will have the M2s Pro, and the ST10s. I was just curious for down the road, if I wanted to buy that driver for the M2s Pro. I don't think I will be cracking open the ST10s any time soon either! :wink:

Jul 16, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #56,229 of 75,405
Sure, but keep in mind 2 notes:
  1. First, I only started using buds 1 month ago and know nothing about them compared to most of the people in this thread;
  2. I only listened the Zens for half an hour tops and around 2hours for the M2S 150ohm.
With that said, here goes a small ramble.

Quality:

M2S hands down. These shells are built like a tank. Only thing I'm not sure about the interchangeable parts and wires - they seem too fragile.
Oh and also, replaceable MMCX cable... that's a winning point right there.

Confort and isolation:

I think it's pretty even on confort, only really depends on your ears, - will be personal prefence - but I still have to play more with the Zen. On the M2S I need to use them with the cable over the ear and not straight down, since I get better isolation this way. Zen isolation is very low since I'm using them naked.

Sound

First comparison that comes to mind is, for sure, open-back headphones. Zens sound exactly like that. Very clean, detailed, wide soundstage and a very balanced sound signature. Imaging is there, driver is fast and tamed (no harsh spikes, all smooth). They were tuned to be used without any type of foams, wich is fine by me, but might bother some. They are not easy to drive, I mind you.

When I first inserted them into my ears, I wasnt sure about the quality of the sound. As soon as I traded them for the M2S to compare, difference was clear. They are better in almost any way. With that said, theres only one thing the Zens cant compete: bass quantity and rumble.

M2S' bass is just so good. It rumbles, it punches. Its so fun. I find the stock driver to be more punchier, both in mid and sub bass, and for some reason, as better isolation on my ears. The golden driver is more balanced, but the bass is 80% of the stock ones, while opening in every other department, specially clarity and detail. Both drivers rumble a lot. Closest bud I have to IEMs and I use them with donut foams. This is the bass-head bud of the two in comparition.

Tl;dr version: To me, the zens are one or two steps above m2s with the golden driver (150ohm). Which is fine because they cost 4x times more. Regarding bass, M2S is the clear winner and way easier to drive. You can't go wrong with any of them, as long as you pick your prefered signature, keeping in mind the price difference. I'd recommend the Golden driver tho in the M2S Pro and that gives you 2 close but different sounding buds on one shell (be carefull in the process).

Hope my brief compariation made some sense to you, will post more as soon as I get more time with them... It's been a bad and busy week.

Sources used: Shanling M3X (flac files) and Fiio BTR5 wired (Tidal). Both buds have been used on Balanced 4.4mm cables.

Tracks used for this comparition:

Daft Punk - Giorgio by Moroder
AC/DC - Let there be rock
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
Lana del Rey - Carmen
Adele - Daydreamer
Foo Fighters - Waiting on a War
Makes perfect sense and it’s great to hear! Listening to the 40 ohm M2s pro I’m think that it can’t get much better, but I’m glad to hear it’s possible.

Jul 16, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #56,230 of 75,405
Sure, but keep in mind 2 notes:
  1. First, I only started using buds 1 month ago and know nothing about them compared to most of the people in this thread;
  2. I only listened the Zens for half an hour tops and around 2hours for the M2S 150ohm.
With that said, here goes a small ramble.

Quality:

M2S hands down. These shells are built like a tank. Only thing I'm not sure about the interchangeable parts and wires - they seem too fragile.
Oh and also, replaceable MMCX cable... that's a winning point right there.

Confort and isolation:

I think it's pretty even on confort, only really depends on your ears, - will be personal prefence - but I still have to play more with the Zen. On the M2S I need to use them with the cable over the ear and not straight down, since I get better isolation this way. Zen isolation is very low since I'm using them naked.

Sound

First comparison that comes to mind is, for sure, open-back headphones. Zens sound exactly like that. Very clean, detailed, wide soundstage and a very balanced sound signature. Imaging is there, driver is fast and tamed (no harsh spikes, all smooth). They were tuned to be used without any type of foams, wich is fine by me, but might bother some. They are not easy to drive, I mind you.

When I first inserted them into my ears, I wasnt sure about the quality of the sound. As soon as I traded them for the M2S to compare, difference was clear. They are better in almost any way. With that said, theres only one thing the Zens cant compete: bass quantity and rumble.

M2S' bass is just so good. It rumbles, it punches. Its so fun. I find the stock driver to be more punchier, both in mid and sub bass, and for some reason, as better isolation on my ears. The golden driver is more balanced, but the bass is 80% of the stock ones, while opening in every other department, specially clarity and detail. Both drivers rumble a lot. Closest bud I have to IEMs and I use them with donut foams. This is the bass-head bud of the two in comparition.

Tl;dr version: To me, the zens are one or two steps above m2s with the golden driver (150ohm). Which is fine because they cost 4x times more. Regarding bass, M2S is the clear winner and way easier to drive. You can't go wrong with any of them, as long as you pick your prefered signature, keeping in mind the price difference. I'd recommend the Golden driver tho in the M2S Pro and that gives you 2 close but different sounding buds on one shell (be carefull in the process).

Hope my brief compariation made some sense to you, will post more as soon as I get more time with them... It's been a bad and busy week.

Sources used: Shanling M3X (flac files) and Fiio BTR5 wired (Tidal). Both buds have been used on Balanced 4.4mm cables.

Tracks used for this comparition:

Daft Punk - Giorgio by Moroder
AC/DC - Let there be rock
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
Lana del Rey - Carmen
Adele - Daydreamer
Foo Fighters - Waiting on a War
The Zen 2.0 will surely perform even better with a more powerful source than the two you are currently using (both have 240mW @ 32Ohm (Bal), 2.8V amplitude).
Are you still waiting for the RA Plus5? I would be very interested to know more about this amp and your impression. There are just no tech specs for it...

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #56,231 of 75,405
Have u tried amping the 150 ohm driver. I bought it and it is on the way, but on the original smabat ST10S black gold 150 ohm driver, it surely needs amping.

Sounds very flat and meh when underpowered.
So I reinstalled it back in the M2s pro shell and hooked it up to may JDS Labs Atom and Bam! This is as good as the 40 ohm driver. Maybe a little bit better: MAYBE. I’ll say they are definitely both very good and pretty similar at least when in the same shell. The 150 now sounds like it might be more spacious and detailed but if it is, it doesn’t seem like it’s by a startling amount. I’d like to switch the drivers back and forth to hear them back to back through this setup, but I am nervous that I may break something. Nothing feels very fragile, but the 2 reports of broken connections fresh out of the box, I’m reluctant. This driver is still very fresh so I don’t want anyone make any sweeping conclusions but this is very similar to my experience with the HD650: mo power, mo better.

Jul 16, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #56,232 of 75,405
The Zen 2.0 will surely perform even better with a more powerful source than the two you are currently using (both have 240mW @ 32Ohm (Bal), 2.8V amplitude).
Are you still waiting for the RA Plus5? I would be very interested to know more about this amp and your impression. There are just no tech specs for it...

Yes! The ra5 will arrive later, as Im leaving for vacation tomorrow. But I think you're right. I'm pretty sure it will scale very well and probably open up the bass a little more.

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #56,233 of 75,405
IMG_0079.JPG

The last of the ~7 SGD buds I bought from shopee, JieTu DIY EMX500 Bro. Just gonna call them the "Bros". lol. Anyway, the Bros are pretty warm sounding. More mid bass focused than sub bass, and has quite a bit of lower mids too. Bass has some texture and is decently tight, but sometimes can still sound a little bloated. Mids are not the most forward in the mix, but lower mids do have a decent amount of body. However, there is a peak at around 6 kHz, and while it does push brighter vocals forward, it can sound a little too much in certain tracks (especially in bass light, vocals centric tracks). So like the Monk plus and TC200 (new batch), mids are a mixed bag for me (though if i had to pick 1 amongst these 3 for the mids, i'll probably go with the Bros). Treble is very very polite, more so than the other 2, so cymbal, violins, tambourines, etc, can sound a little dulled. Technicalities and what not are all just okay for the price, nothing worth mentioning.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but I think the K's earphone K64S at just 9 SGD on Shopee is still more worth it. I like its cleaner sounding mid bass and lower mids, and it's more balanced sounding overall. Slightly better technicalities too. So overall, all 3 has been somewhat underwhelming to me. If I had to pick one, the Bros are probably the ones I would go for, but I would rather just save that 3 SGD and get the Iris Ancestor instead if I absolutely can't go any higher. While I'm still not the biggest fan of the warmer sound signature, I feel like at least there isn't anything that sounds too off to me in the mids? and technicalities isn't really that far off either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, as usual, these are just my subjective opinions and YMMV. These are still cheap chifi earbuds after all and bad QC affecting the sound is a possibility.

Jul 16, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #56,235 of 75,405

My LBBS just arrived! Next week will be fun!
Why next week?
I see that you have decided to break the record in buying buds in one month :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back