Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 29, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #55,606 of 74,631
Thank you! Very useful to hear your impressions. Wondering if using without foams brings back some of those distant highs...
Forget about using TOTL buds without foam. They are not sport buds moisture resistant

Jun 29, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #55,607 of 74,631
Thank you! Very useful to hear your impressions. Wondering if using without foams brings back some of those distant highs...
i can't get them to sit in my ears that way. i was messing around with the thicker/bigger silicone rings.. but then it loses its characteristic bass presentation. at that point, i might as well listen to any other 'earbud'-tuned bud. at this point I use the 'bassy' full foams and just accept the darker sound signature, but mainly because im spoiled in that i have upper mid/treble champions in the chaconne and nicehcks.

it also might entirely depend on your library. guitars, bass, and drums sound real nice on the EM5s. male vocals too. but all my shameful girl group kpop and ballads seem better on the chaconne

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #55,608 of 74,631
Forget about using TOTL buds without foam. They are not sport buds moisture resistant
I’ve been wondering about that. I recently started using my SWD2+ without foams and they sound really fantastic that way. I guess I shouldn’t take that chance. Appreciate the advice.

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #55,609 of 74,631
i can't get them to sit in my ears that way. i was messing around with the thicker/bigger silicone rings.. but then it loses its characteristic bass presentation. at that point, i might as well listen to any other 'earbud'-tuned bud. at this point I use the 'bassy' full foams and just accept the darker sound signature, but mainly because im spoiled in that i have upper mid/treble champions in the chaconne and nicehcks.

it also might entirely depend on your library. guitars, bass, and drums sound real nice on the EM5s. male vocals too. but all my shameful girl group kpop and ballads seem better on the chaconne
Thx! Thats really good insight. I might have to check out the chaconne. I like an airy sparkly top end.

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #55,610 of 74,631
Do you guys have any info on the Ve Asura 2.0? I’ve heard that it’s bass light compared to the Zen 2.0. If I put foams on them would it be comparable to the Zen 2.0? I’m planning to buy a Zen 2.0 again but Im having a hard time getting one here in the Philippines, while some sellers have the Asura 2.0. If not, are there any earbuds currently that have the same sound sig as the Zen 2.0? Thanks!

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #55,611 of 74,631
I’ve been wondering about that. I recently started using my SWD2+ without foams and they sound really fantastic that way. I guess I shouldn’t take that chance. Appreciate the advice.
At least you can use donuts, which has no direct effect on the sound. Foam will catch and hold moisture that occurs where the driver cover touches the skin.
If moisture enter trough cover, inner surface and also diaphragm will become sticky and that can slow down diaphragm movement.
Over time, the glue that connects the driver to the cover will break down, and the driver will fall out, which can lead to damage to the voice coil wire.
On the back, moisture is less dangerous because there is more ventilation. MX500 shells, for example, has side vents which are cowered with thick black foam,
so that air circulates through the stem.

Anyway ... if you don't care about all of these and care only about how good they sound, you will not be able to enjoy for a long time, believe me
:beerchug:

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #55,612 of 74,631
Do you guys have any info on the Ve Asura 2.0? I’ve heard that it’s bass light compared to the Zen 2.0. If I put foams on them would it be comparable to the Zen 2.0? I’m planning to buy a Zen 2.0 again but Im having a hard time getting one here in the Philippines, while some sellers have the Asura 2.0. If not, are there any earbuds currently that have the same sound sig as the Zen 2.0? Thanks!
It's not that simple. With foam, you can improve fit, i.e. you will get better seal (or not because of slightly increased diameter).
As you already know, with better seal you will get more bass, but foam by yourself don't help with low end.

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #55,613 of 74,631
It's not that simple. With foam, you can improve fit, i.e. you will get better seal (or not because of slightly increased diameter).
As you already know, with better seal you will get more bass, but foam by yourself don't help with low end.
I want to use the foams to make the Asura 2.0 a tad warmer. Haha. Not just because of the bass. 😀

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #55,614 of 74,631
I think moisture depends mainly where you live and how you store it. I've been using a zen 2.0 foamless for almost 6 years and it still sounds good with no problems. I do keep it in its hard case with a silica packet though

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #55,615 of 74,631
Jun 29, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #55,616 of 74,631
I think moisture depends mainly where you live and how you store it. I've been using a zen 2.0 foamless for almost 6 years and it still sounds good with no problems. I do keep it in its hard case with a silica packet though
And how you use it. As sleeping buds, buds for some sport activity ... for sauna :joy: etc.

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #55,617 of 74,631

also might help: i always try to wipe and dry the ears first before using earphones, and intermittently do it again if using it on a long session.
As i live in a humid tropical country, storing my gears with silica packs are a necessary precaution.
Also i don't use my regular earbuds/iems for exercises or any other sweaty activities, and only use TWS because those usually have better IPX protection

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #55,618 of 74,631
Jun 30, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #55,619 of 74,631
Nice! Will try this mod out if I ever do get the Asura 2.0. Do you guys think that this mod will make the Asura more like the Zen 2.0? Or are there any other earbuds that have the same sound sig of the Zen 2.0?

Asura is very different animal from Zen. The Zen makes the Asura feel bass anemic and I don't think foams are going to help with this one.

The Asura does everything else great though. Just don't expect bass like you do with most earbuds.

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #55,620 of 74,631
Asura is very different animal from Zen. The Zen makes the Asura feel bass anemic and I don't think foams are going to help with this one.

The Asura does everything else great though. Just don't expect bass like you do with most earbuds.
Completely concur, not even in the same ballpark. Asura are very detailed with excellent timbre. Definitely, would say that the Asura leans toward the bright side with the lower/middle midrange starting at neutral and slowly turning bright as you approach the lower treble region which I think is safe to say probably the most emphasized area on this earbud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back