Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 16, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #52,397 of 75,258
I think the best option at the moment would be RW-2000 on sale with a promo code/coupon of about 105$.

They drop that low on Aliexpress? I see them at ≈ $140 currently but $35 is worth waiting for. I haven’t used that app or site much either, don’t see much for coupons.

edit: clarification

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #52,398 of 75,258
Feb 16, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #52,399 of 75,258
Fit-wise, it's the best type of earbuds shell for me, very lightweight and comfy to wear but definitely not cheap looking.
If you're unsure fit-wise, you can try K's LBBs (Little Black Bell S), which is very similar in fit, with the Onmyoji having a longer stem.
For me personally "Bell" design is #1 (comfort and fit wise), without any gimmicks and BS.
Because they look minimalistic that does not mean they are cheap looking. The simplest functional design is the most difficult to devise.
Metallic shells seem really luxurious but even if they are made of plastic only the design is worth half the price

Feb 16, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #52,401 of 75,258
Anyone able to verify whether or not the apple dongle is able to drive the Smabat black/gold ST-10S? I just checked with my Sennheiser HD560S (120Ω) and it was perfect for me at half volume, so I would assume the 150Ω Smabats would work at least as well due to slightly higher sensitivity rating (115 vs 110). But it's a significant enough price difference to want to double-check before ordering.

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #52,402 of 75,258
Got my EBX21, super early impressions. Well tuned with good tonality and timbre as you expect from earbuds. A bit warmer tonality overall and very neutral. Although it has a typical bud bass....so no Yincrow X6 upgrade here. :sob:

As for technicalities I cant comment on them yet (too early) and because I have been using high-end iems like the Dunu Zen and the Sony EX1000 the entire day, the technicalities on the EBX21 didnt impress me.

Cable measures at 0.39 ohms, pretty high for a cable that costs around 100 usd.

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #52,403 of 75,258
Anyone able to verify whether or not the apple dongle is able to drive the Smabat black/gold ST-10S? I just checked with my Sennheiser HD560S (120Ω) and it was perfect for me at half volume, so I would assume the 150Ω Smabats would work at least as well due to slightly higher sensitivity rating (115 vs 110). But it's a significant enough price difference to want to double-check before ordering.
Don't do it. Golds work best with a strong amp. Might sound thin and shouty from apple dongle.

Feb 16, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #52,404 of 75,258
Don't do it. Golds work best with a strong amp. Might sound thin and shouty from apple dongle.
Thanks for the input mate. I've got plenty of headphones for desk use, but do like the form factor of buds for out and about. I'll stick with the silvers and maybe pick up a pair of RW-2000s for variety :)

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #52,405 of 75,258

Yes agree with @povidlo , the apple dongle can't drive the ST10S Black Gold well. U can pump up the volume to compensate, but the 3 kHz area becomes very overemphasized and fatiguing. Dynamics are also lost. Black Gold really needs an amp.

Got my EBX21, super early impressions. Well tuned with good tonality and timbre as you expect from earbuds. A bit warmer tonality overall and very neutral. Although it has a typical bud bass....so no Yincrow X6 upgrade here. :sob:

As for technicalities I cant comment on them yet (too early) and because I have been using high-end iems like the Dunu Zen and the Sony EX1000 the entire day, the technicalities on the EBX21 didnt impress me.

Cable measures at 0.39 ohms, pretty high for a cable that costs around 100 usd.

Haha I don't think TOTL buds can compete with TOTL IEMs in terms of technical performance. But the TOTL earbuds are relatively cheaper than TOTL IEMs as such.

We should really ask the sellers if the can just sell the NiceHCK EBX21 alone, without the cable, and ask them to deduct 100 USD off the price? I think there\ll be more sales like that.

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #52,406 of 75,258
FENGRU is more like DIY brand and if you are familiar with DIY stuffs you can build a similar model for less money.

I am definitely interested in the Fengru DIY PK1-style buds, as most of my current buds are based on MX500 and I found that I tend to fiddle with them more than the smaller buds I have like Qian39. Maybe smaller-shelled buds will be more conducive to set and forget for me. Also, I have no experience soldering so building it myself is not likely an option. I'm real good at taking stuff apart, not so great at putting it back together.

TY Hi-Z have a nice lineup of buds, but they have not done anything new for a long time

They may not have stuff that's new to the market, but most of it is new to me. The HP314 and F32MT are the ones that are currently catching my eye.

Feb 17, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #52,407 of 75,258
In that case, I think I'll be sticking to the Sun Copper...

The Defiant and Zen SU combo is going for 2980usd and the Defiant Gold Edition on its own is 1798usd.
If you can wait a few weeks, I might put my Sun Copper up for sale if I decided not to keep both Sun Copper and Zen SU...

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #52,409 of 75,258
I appreciate that, but have to get the Sun Copper from Lee because I did a trade in of my Zen Black and we already had an arrangement.
Fine ! You will appreciate it, especially with a good amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back