Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 23, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #51,766 of 75,284
Thanks for the suggestions. I have no clue where to begin with earbuds/iems as I've never actually owned a pair, so I don't know what my fit/ear size would be. I've only used full size headphones. I am leaning towards earbuds over IEMs as I don't think I'd like the feeling of something in my ear canal and I don't need complete isolation.

I suppose it's probably a safer bet to buy multiple different pairs for ~$10 rather than a single pair around $50. Just looking for something tuned for tv shows/movies as I won't be using them for music at all.

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #51,767 of 75,284
So I stumbled onto this thread and now I'm a little intrigued with earbuds again!

My last earbuds were the VE Monk+ and I was so disappointed by them after they were hyped up on here by various head-fi posters.
Welcome to the rabbit hole!

We can not stress enough the importance of a correct fit with earbuds... while not as crucial as an in-ear monitor (IEM) your ear size and anatomy does play a crucial part in the earbud being able to reproduce it's tuning correctly. Thus why there are various earbud shell types and sizes, as well as different thicknesses and combinations of foams available :wink:

What I'm looking for is an earbud that matches the sound signature of the venerable Koss KSC75s. Let me know which ones come close or exceed it. I've read maybe 100 pages of this thread and the BK2 seems to tick a lot of the boxes, but please let me know which other earbuds I should be looking at. Bonus if they are within the price range of the KSC75s as well.

Many of the more trusted earbud fanatics here have likened the still available Edifier H185 to the Koss KSC75; do a search of this thread to confirm... if I recall correctly @chinmie is Edifier experienced and has made a similar comparison regarding the H185 and KSC75.

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #51,768 of 75,284
Thanks for the suggestions. I have no clue where to begin with earbuds/iems as I've never actually owned a pair, so I don't know what my fit/ear size would be. I've only used full size headphones. I am leaning towards earbuds over IEMs as I don't think I'd like the feeling of something in my ear canal and I don't need complete isolation.

I suppose it's probably a safer bet to buy multiple different pairs for ~$10 rather than a single pair around $50. Just looking for something tuned for tv shows/movies as I won't be using them for music at all.
Yes, unfortunately earbuds are most definitely (and initially) a trial-by-error experience as are headphones in general actually... being everyone's tastes, preferences, and anatomy are different. Luckily earbuds (and very, very good performing ones) are modestly priced in comparison to iems and full-size headphones. I would suggest you buy one PK shell and one MX500 shell type to see what your ears prefer size/fit wise and work from there. There is also a strong/healthy earbud trade/sell market as well.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #51,769 of 75,284
So I stumbled onto this thread and now I'm a little intrigued with earbuds again!

My last earbuds were the VE Monk+ and I was so disappointed by them after they were hyped up on here by various head-fi posters.

What I'm looking for is an earbud that matches the sound signature of the venerable Koss KSC75s. Let me know which ones come close or exceed it. I've read maybe 100 pages of this thread and the BK2 seems to tick a lot of the boxes, but please let me know which other earbuds I should be looking at. Bonus if they are within the price range of the KSC75s as well.

TIA!
Many of the more trusted earbud fanatics here have likened the still available Edifier H185 to the Koss KSC75; do a search of this thread to confirm... if I recall correctly @chinmie is Edifier experienced and has made a similar comparison regarding the H185 and KSC75.

yup, as of this moment the H185 is the closest sounding earbuds to the KSC75 that i know of.. i even personally prefer the H185 than the KSC75 in terms of sound, portability, and comfort.

another bright and sparkly earbud that i have is the Liebesleid, but this one is less similar to the KSC75 to my ears.

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #51,770 of 75,284
Does anyone know the earbuds with harman'ish tuning or the balanced tuning?

Jan 24, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #51,771 of 75,284
Does anyone know the earbuds with harman'ish tuning or the balanced tuning?
I may be way off saying this but I don't think the traditional Harman Curve (speakers) nor the preferred Harman Target Curve for IEMs (full size headphones) as we know it would apply that very well to earbuds unfortunately. Balanced meaning "neutral" a few recommendations would be YY BK2; FiiO EM3; Edifier P180; and perhaps the VE Monk+.

Jan 24, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #51,772 of 75,284
I may be way off saying this but I don't think the traditional Harman Curve (speakers) nor the preferred Harman Target Curve for IEMs (full size headphones) as we know it would apply that very well to earbuds unfortunately. Balanced meaning "neutral" a few recommendations would be YY BK2; FiiO EM3; Edifier P180; and perhaps the VE Monk+.
What about HE150 Pro?

Jan 24, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #51,773 of 75,284

TIA!
I was honestly disappointed with the resolution of the KSC75. The BK2 easily has better resolution & timbre, however it has no warmth at all, which the KSC75 does. They're great neutral buds but if you want warmth you might want to look elsewhere. Only thing the KSC75 does better is its treble is more articulate, whereas the BK2 tends to break up a little on higher frequencies. BK2 also has much smaller staging, smaller than average for earbuds even.

The NSC clear buds I linked in an earlier post comes closest to the KSC75, out of what I've heard. Not as resolving as the BK2 but comes close, and has about the same amount of warmth as the KSC75. Kinda flimsy cable though.

Jan 24, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #51,775 of 75,284
I was honestly disappointed with the resolution of the KSC75. The BK2 easily has better resolution & timbre, however it has no warmth at all, which the KSC75 does. They're great neutral buds but if you want warmth you might want to look elsewhere. Only thing the KSC75 does better is its treble is more articulate, whereas the BK2 tends to break up a little on higher frequencies. BK2 also has much smaller staging, smaller than average for earbuds even.

The NSC clear buds I linked in an earlier post comes closest to the KSC75, out of what I've heard. Not as resolving as the BK2 but comes close, and has about the same amount of warmth as the KSC75. Kinda flimsy cable though.
Wait, the KSC75 is warm to you?? Wow, never thought I see it being called that lol.

Jan 24, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #51,776 of 75,284
Wait, the KSC75 is warm to you?? Wow, never thought I see it being called that lol.
Well, it certainly has more than the BK2. Looking at crinacles measurements it does have a bit of a boost around 100-200hz.

Attachments

• KSC75-1024x468.jpg
    KSC75-1024x468.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 24, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #51,777 of 75,284

What about K's Bell-LB and K's Little Black Bell S?

Jan 24, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #51,778 of 75,284
Well, it certainly has more than the BK2. Looking at crinacles measurements it does have a bit of a boost around 100-200hz.
It is quite bright for me, but well tuned and has refined treble, so it isnt sharp for me which is quite rare.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #51,779 of 75,284
All, what earbuds do sound close to X6 but with mmcx or 2pin connector?

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back