Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 13, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #51,496 of 75,804
Any owners of the K's Nameless here?

I haven't had much time to spend with it since getting it, but I realize is sounds super muffled in the bass when full foams or donut foams are used. Have to use it totally without any covers then the clarity in the bass comes back. I suspect the foams is covering a vent or something. Without foam covers it is quite a well balanced U shaped set, kind of reminds me of the RY4S 300 ohm in tuning, just that it is much easier to drive and is a slightly less refined version of it.
I thought of giving them a try on Monday when I took advantage of the new sale on AE (as well as KBear Stellar, which seem interesting to me), but I finally decide that I had enough MX500 shells already, and I even have to buy TY Hi-Z 32 again as I lost my pair. :slight_frown:

I think a lot of MX500 buds (at least from those I tried) are almost all on the warm side, the exception being TY Hi-Z 32 which is very clear sounding (probably even a bit thin sometimes), with great extension on both end, I really dig them! :o2smile:

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #51,497 of 75,804
What can you ask ... well if we're not taking $20 into account ... maybe DaturaPro'21 ("2021" has already become a trend in the name of every new model) with new features:
- modular cable with switchable plugs (2.5mm, 3.5mm, 4.4mm, USB-C)
- better shell finish (the existing shell is too slippery and does not hold foam well. Cerakote coating is one of the options)
- MMCX version (this is optional, the stock cable is good and MMCX will only add unnecessary weight. Also, Hibiscus cable can be a good choice.)
- higher driver impedance (32ohm - 150ohm)
- and of course new stock tuning by @Sam L :wink:

Nowadays we often see modular models with different accessories. So it would be nice to be able to add a chip that would store the EQ settings as we see with some BT models.
Ha ha, that's a nice wishlist, for sure! :relaxed:

• As for the modular cable that would be cool as few earbuds can be used from balanced sources! (I don't have any balanced source but the more option, the better)
• I'm finding the shell finish gorgeous! :heart_eyes: But I agree it's really slippery, even more when you try to stick donuts foams only! In that case I have installed rubber rings and it works wonderfully, those Datura Pro are so good that they're worth the effort to get the best out of them! :L3000:
• I'm sure @baskingshark will agree with you 1000% on detachable cable as he seems to be very careful about that! (though I think that, if given the choice, he would probably opt for 2pin rather than MMCX... :wink:) I'm used to non-detachable cables, as it's somewhat the norm with earbuds (even pricier ones!), and I must be lucky (again!) as I never experienced any problem with cables as of yet! (and now that I've said it, it will arrive...)
• As for the higher impedance I'm not too sure as I'm driving my earbuds with low powered sources... :sweat_smile:
• On the last point, I have nothing to say than a BIG YES!!! :o2smile: :heart_eyes: :beerchug:

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #51,498 of 75,804
Datura X & Datura Pro are the exact same size, the only "big" differences are the stem, which is thinner and seems longer (only seems as they are the same length actually), and the integrated rubber ring on Datura X, whereas Datura Pro is slippery as hell, hence the rubber rings I have put on mine (on the photo you cn see one side with the rubber ring and the other without it, to show the difference), as I use them with donuts foams and those foams have no chance at all to stay in place given the metal shell of Datura Pro.

I can confirm as well that Datura X are made of brass (or any other heavy metal if it ever wasn't brass!) and given how heavy they are compared to Datura Pro I can assure you it's not just finish! :sweat_smile:

Anyway they look great as well and they sound totally different from Datura Pro, I would say that they are a "fun listen" if it ever means anything! :L3000:

Here are the 2 pairs side by side:
Yup. DaturaX has brass shell, and it seems to me that the driver is a little bigger too. "Concave arc" shape can affect the fit.
I think that future DaturaPro'21 will have "concave arc" shape if we follow evolution the first two versions :wink:
dxp.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #51,499 of 75,804
I thought of giving them a try on Monday when I took advantage of the new sale on AE (as well as KBear Stellar, which seem interesting to me), but I finally decide that I had enough MX500 shells already, and I even have to buy TY Hi-Z 32 again as I lost my pair. :slight_frown:

I think a lot of MX500 buds (at least from those I tried) are almost all on the warm side, the exception being TY Hi-Z 32 which is very clear sounding (probably even a bit thin sometimes), with great extension on both end, I really dig them! :o2smile:
There really are a lot of TY Hi-Z models, like some tribe
According to this review, it seems to me that models with higher impedance dominate in terms of SQ as well

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #51,500 of 75,804
Ha ha, that's a nice wishlist, for sure! :relaxed:

• As for the modular cable that would be cool as few earbuds can be used from balanced sources! (I don't have any balanced source but the more option, the better)
• I'm finding the shell finish gorgeous! :heart_eyes: But I agree it's really slippery, even more when you try to stick donuts foams only! In that case I have installed rubber rings and it works wonderfully, those Datura Pro are so good that they're worth the effort to get the best out of them! :L3000:
• I'm sure @baskingshark will agree with you 1000% on detachable cable as he seems to be very careful about that! (though I think that, if given the choice, he would probably opt for 2pin rather than MMCX... :wink:) I'm used to non-detachable cables, as it's somewhat the norm with earbuds (even pricier ones!), and I must be lucky (again!) as I never experienced any problem with cables as of yet! (and now that I've said it, it will arrive...)
• As for the higher impedance I'm not too sure as I'm driving my earbuds with low powered sources... :sweat_smile:
• On the last point, I have nothing to say than a BIG YES!!! :o2smile: :heart_eyes: :beerchug:
  • That's why I didn't mention lighting plug :wink: USB-C will be used only to store EQ settings
  • Don't get me wrong, the shell is nice, but it is too polished, so that friction does not exist. The rubber rings increase the diameter so that it will not suit everyone.
  • They need to re-design the shell stem to be the wider for any detachable connection which will disrupt the aesthetics and function of the vent system through the stem. I agree with you about non-detachable cable:thumbsup:
  • higher impedance = less distortion on higher volume levels but there are many other benefits
  • :deadhorse:

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #51,501 of 75,804
There really are a lot of TY Hi-Z models, like some tribe
According to this review, it seems to me that models with higher impedance dominate in terms of SQ as well
That's for sure, I did read these mini-reviews of the lineup and I quite agree with his take on Ty Hi-Z 32, can' comment on the other ones as I didn't get to listen to them! :sweat_smile:

One thing I know is that I really like Ty Hi-Z 32 sound and if I had to keep only one MX500 shell (which might be the case as they are quite weird to wear over ear, even if they are really comfortable to wear like this...) it would definitely be this one. :thumbsup:

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #51,502 of 75,804
  • higher impedance = less distortion on higher volume levels but there are many other benefits

Agree with the less distortion. But what are the other benefits with higher impedance gear? Am keen to learn too about this.
If that's the case, if one has the source to back it up, should we choose the higher impedance option if say a particular earbud comes in a few difference impedances?

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #51,503 of 75,804
I you are Windows user than you can try Equalizer APO with Peace as GUI.
If you are familiar with VST plugins for audio programs u can load these and use whit EquilizerAPO
For Android 9 and above the best choice is Wavelet app.
For Android 8 and below RE Equalizer or Eqfy Equalizer (10-Band graphic equalizer) but for these I manually change the settings.
And one of the most important things is that all these EQs are free.

Let me explain you this way, build quality and overall looks of this model is worth between $25-$35 without a doubt
About tuning: DaturaPRO without EQ correction (stock tuning) is worth $1 (the VIDO is $2-$3) and with EQ, exceeds over $100.
This is currently the low price at which this model has been sold so far ($23.94)

Thank you very much! Very helpful! I will order one :)

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #51,504 of 75,804
Let me explain you this way, build quality and overall looks of this model is worth between $25-$35 without a doubt
About tuning: DaturaPRO without EQ correction (stock tuning) is worth $1 (the VIDO is $2-$3) and with EQ, exceeds over $100.
This is currently the low price at which this model has been sold so far ($23.94)
I can only agree 100% with that statement (even though I quite liked the original tuning as well, wouldn’t have called them $1 earbuds!), those are GREAT with @Sam L EQ, it’s almost unreal!
I can’t tell about TOTL sounding earbuds as I don’t have any in my collection but I can say without a doubt that they are, with this EQ, the absolute best sounding earphones I´ve the pleasure to listen to. :o2smile: :heart_eyes:

And as @Sam L says I will stop here or we all will look like fanboys, or worst, like affiliated shameless promoters!! :sweat_smile:

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #51,505 of 75,804
Hi, I am looking for a recommendation. Right now, I own a pair of S****r PT15, but I feel I want more bass, and also a bit more detailed treble. I want to spend around 30$. E detachable cable (mmcx) is a plus, and I don't have a problem assembling a set, or modding a set regarding the detachable cable, but I don't want to mess with tuning, foams and such. Also, I won't be using any eq

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #51,506 of 75,804
Hi, I am looking for a recommendation. Right now, I own a pair of S****r PT15, but I feel I want more bass, and also a bit more detailed treble. I want to spend around 30$. E detachable cable (mmcx) is a plus, and I don't have a problem assembling a set, or modding a set regarding the detachable cable, but I don't want to mess with tuning, foams and such. Also, I won't be using any eq
Don't know the PT15 (I own PT25 though, which is excellent, but it's an Earpods like shell) but if you want bass and (very very) good overall sound, with MMCX, I can recommend JCALLY EP05, which are the only earbuds I wear cable down (or over ear if I really want lots of bass!) and are warm sounding, have good bass in quantity as well as quality, and are airy and detailed in the high-end of the spectrum, one of my preferred set right now, I even bought the entire line of JCALLY products (JC10 and EP01) on Monday to see if they were as good as their siblings! :L3000:

Worth a try and they are only $13 or $14 on AE so you don't take a great risk. :relaxed:

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #51,507 of 75,804
Agree with the less distortion. But what are the other benefits with higher impedance gear? Am keen to learn too about this.
If that's the case, if one has the source to back it up, should we choose the higher impedance option if say a particular earbud comes in a few difference impedances?
Drivers with an impedance greater than 50ohm are considered high impedance drivers. Probably because of that LG smartphones require >50ohm to be able to use Quad DAC.
The main difference between low (short L.I.D) and high impedance drivers (short H.I.D) is voice coil. H.I.D. uses very thin wire (thinner than hair strand) with more windings than L.I.D.
I will let an expert to explain how the whole system works.
To be able to get all benefits from these drivers we need also good source ie amplifier which will provide them adequate power.
In my experience all high impedance drivers which I tried, in the case when we have a lineup of models with different impedance, sound better than low impedance models.
As I mention earlier, first we have less distortion, low frequencies are more refined and have better definition, sound is more spacious, clean and transparent.
Adjusting the volume is much more precise and what I liked most was how well they work with tube amplifier.
Also, what I would recommend to use balanced cables for models with these drivers, primarily due to the higher output power of amplifier

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #51,508 of 75,804
Thank you very much! Very helpful! I will order one :)
you won't be disappointed! I'm in full agreement with @furyossa, but I'm not as harsh in describing the datura pro stock tuning as worth $1. My guess is that he came into his purchase with some baseline expectations that weren't met, far from it. I'd put the stock sound profile being similar to the monk+, which I consider garbage. But maybe valued at $5 worth of sound for me. :)

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #51,509 of 75,804
oh wait, is Sen**r a censored brand here on headfi? I prob should hunt down the banned brands list...

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #51,510 of 75,804
Good morning everyone! (or night for many of you) 2 to 3 times a week I head over to a co-working space and hit the job search. Lately I've been bringing a monitor with me. :)

But, of course, the most important work equipment is our earbuds! Here's today's sampling. I tend to rotate between 3 or 4 buds each day. Thanks for the sonata hd dac recommendation. Excellent dac for the laptop, though it can't drive any of my high impedance buds.

PXL_20210114_162446456.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back