Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 12, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #51,481 of 75,857
What about sources other than the iPhone? Laptop, PC?
I have bought recently a Hiby R2 which sounds great but I'm selling it as I'm too used to Apple UI and really don't like the way it operates.
And I just saw, after getting it mostly to try MSEB that there was an app on the AppStore (from Hiby) that does just that!... :upside_down:

But really, my main source isn't even my iPhone, it's my little tiny iPod Shuffle 2GB, which drives even headphones surprisingly well!! :o2smile::L3000:
And it's so small that you forget you have that in your pocket, my hidden gem! :heart_eyes:

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #51,482 of 75,857
my current set of earbud: smabat m2pro + 150ohms black gold driver module with fw1500 stock cable.
20210112_152605.jpg20210112_152715.jpg
How do you like them?
They fit me badly and are uncomfortable to a point I even don't understand why!... :thinking:

And I tried the 2 tuning filters without hearing a big difference to be honest.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #51,483 of 75,857
Does anyone else use the foobar2K effect plugin with their earbuds called RBE Bass Exciter ( foo_dsp_bassexciter )? Just curious what settings others may be using. Having more luck with this than using an equalizer with most of my earbuds. The following is what I am currently using:

Threshold Frequency 1200Hz
Harmonic Frequency 60Hz
Harmonic Bandwidth 80Hz
Harmonic Energy 26-30dB
Above Pre-Wave Decay -92dB
Below Pre-Wave Decay -10dB

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #51,484 of 75,857
time to give the r4ys 300 ohm some eq love!

Here's the graph of the stock tuning:

r4ys 300ohm.jpg

grab the peq, geq and wavelet files here

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #51,485 of 75,857
I can't agree more that Datura Pro when EQ'd is fantastic sounding! :o2smile:

Don't use your compensation file as I don't think I can use it on my iPhone (?), or at least I don't know how to use it, but I took your FR compensation picture (quite extreme if you ask me, but does wonderfully transform the Datura Pro!) and try to mimic it as much as I could on Onkyo HF player and Neutron player, and the magic happened! :heart_eyes:
no need to eyeball things from the picture, the datura pro post has a fixedbandeq txt file that is for a 10 band GEQ. You can enter in those values in any eq, just ignore the q values.
Perhaps there is even more than the FR compensation when using your files?
For some reason the wavelet files produce better outcomes consistently. I'm not sure why.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #51,486 of 75,857
Thanks I'm eyeballing the graph from this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-16015064

I thought it would be more precise than a 10 band EQ since we have free curve EQ on Onkyo HF Player & Neutron Player apps on iPhone. :thumbsup:
I'll try with the 10 band EQ to see if it makes a difference, thanks! :beerchug:

What I can tell for sure is that this "eyeballed" EQ DOES make a HUGE difference on Datura Pro!!
On that I can only agree 1000% on what you said earlier today, even though I don't have EM5 to hear if the difference in sound is as pronounced. But Faaeal Datura Pro with your settings is sounding exceptional, no other word I can find to define it, without a doubt the best in my collection! :o2smile:
And they look gorgeous too and are well built, what can I ask more for only $20? :heart_eyes:

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #51,487 of 75,857
Thanks I'm eyeballing the graph from this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-16015064

I thought it would be more precise than a 10 band EQ since we have free curve EQ on Onkyo HF Player & Neutron Player apps on iPhone. :thumbsup:
I'll try with the 10 band EQ to see if it makes a difference, thanks! :beerchug:

What I can tell for sure is that this "eyeballed" EQ DOES make a HUGE difference on Datura Pro!!
On that I can only agree 1000% on what you said earlier today, even though I don't have EM5 to hear if the difference in sound is as pronounced. But Faaeal Datura Pro with your settings is sounding exceptional, no other word I can find to define it, without a doubt the best in my collection! :o2smile:
And they look gorgeous too and are well built, what can I ask more for only $20? :heart_eyes:
ah, didn't know about the free curve implementations on those apps. You'll likely not hear a difference then unless the scale is really different. lol we might need to back off the hype before people think we're being overly dramatic. But I'll say it one more time: The cinderella change with the datura pro is so dramatic that anyone new to the thread (coming over from iems) asking for what to buy in the $100 to $150 range should just get the datura pro instead. Unless of course they are really against eq, then I can only say they are missing out on the best $26 I've spent in audio ever.

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #51,488 of 75,857
What can you ask ... well if we're not taking $20 into account ... maybe DaturaPro'21 ("2021" has already become a trend in the name of every new model) with new features:
- modular cable with switchable plugs (2.5mm, 3.5mm, 4.4mm, USB-C)
- better shell finish (the existing shell is too slippery and does not hold foam well. Cerakote coating is one of the options)
- MMCX version (this is optional, the stock cable is good and MMCX will only add unnecessary weight. Also, Hibiscus cable can be a good choice.)
- higher driver impedance (32ohm - 150ohm)
- and of course new stock tuning by @Sam L :wink:

Nowadays we often see modular models with different accessories. So it would be nice to be able to add a chip that would store the EQ settings as we see with some BT models.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #51,489 of 75,857
How do you like them?
They fit me badly and are uncomfortable to a point I even don't understand why!... :thinking:

And I tried the 2 tuning filters without hearing a big difference to be honest.
Now it's great, after burning up and selecting the paralon nozzles, which is in the photo. They sit very comfortably, using a classic cable-down fit. The difference between replaceable filters is very much audible to me, maybe I or you installed them incorrectly, since we have the opposite experience. Have you tried listening to the difference between filters in rubber nozzles? It was noticeable both on the standard driver module and on the 150th module.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #51,490 of 75,857
How is the fit and the flexibility of the cable of the datura pro compared to the bk2? I wanted something to watch youtube, movies, some music while studying, and the bk2 were perfect, but a little treble centric.

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #51,491 of 75,857
How is the fit and the flexibility of the cable of the datura pro compared to the bk2? I wanted something to watch youtube, movies, some music while studying, and the bk2 were perfect, but a little treble centric.
Cable has very good quality and beautifully woven, you can wear buds both way, over-ears or cable-down.
To get full potential and best SQ (balanced sound signature) you need to use compensation files for PEQ or GraphicEQ created by @Sam L

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #51,492 of 75,857
The BK2 is one of my favorite buds and I think the only one I listen to without eq (besides the drivers don't take eq well at all.) The cable on the bk2 is softer and more flexible, but the Datura Pro cable is still excellent. As far as sound quality (if you're willing to use eq on the datura pro), they are not in the same league at all, despite being similarly priced. The datura pro sounds much, much better than the bk2.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #51,493 of 75,857
Cable has very good quality and beautifully woven, you can wear buds both way, over-ears or cable-down.
To get full potential and best SQ (balanced sound signature) you need to use compensation files for PEQ or GraphicEQ created by @Sam L

Thank you! Is there something for android where i can use those files? Or at least have a similiar eq.

The BK2 is one of my favorite buds and I think the only one I listen to without eq (besides the drivers don't take eq well at all.) The cable on the bk2 is softer and more flexible, but the Datura Pro cable is still excellent. As far as sound quality (if you're willing to use eq on the datura pro), they are not in the same league at all, despite being similarly priced. The datura pro sounds much, much better than the bk2.

Thanks! I love bk2 too, but cable is broken and the left side sometimes buzz, I didn't found any hair in the tiny holes, so maybe the drive is just bad or loose. Wish that i know how to open them without breaking everything.

So, I was looking for something diferent and better, the Datura Pro, looks like that :)

Also, without eq they sound better than the bk2?

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #51,494 of 75,857
Thank you! Is there something for android where i can use those files? Or at least have a similiar eq.
I you are Windows user than you can try Equalizer APO with Peace as GUI.
If you are familiar with VST plugins for audio programs u can load these and use whit EquilizerAPO
For Android 9 and above the best choice is Wavelet app.
For Android 8 and below RE Equalizer or Eqfy Equalizer (10-Band graphic equalizer) but for these I manually change the settings.
And one of the most important things is that all these EQs are free.
Also, without eq they sound better than the bk2?
Let me explain you this way, build quality and overall looks of this model is worth between $25-$35 without a doubt
About tuning: DaturaPRO without EQ correction (stock tuning) is worth $1 (the VIDO is $2-$3) and with EQ, exceeds over $100.
This is currently the low price at which this model has been sold so far ($23.94)

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #51,495 of 75,857
I skip DaturaX because of large shell, but I really like their retro look. The shell is heavy because they do not use aluminum shell as DaturaPro, looks like brass, but I'm not sure if it's just a finish or pure brass?
On the other hand, DaturaPro is a really improved version of DaturaX in every sense, maybe not in tuning but with the help of EQ and this problem is solved although I think there is still room for sound improvement (also design :wink: ) due to the surprising capabilities of the aluminum-coated driver.
Datura X & Datura Pro are the exact same size, the only "big" differences are the stem, which is thinner and seems longer (only seems as they are the same length actually), and the integrated rubber ring on Datura X, whereas Datura Pro is slippery as hell, hence the rubber rings I have put on mine (on the photo you cn see one side with the rubber ring and the other without it, to show the difference), as I use them with donuts foams and those foams have no chance at all to stay in place given the metal shell of Datura Pro.

I can confirm as well that Datura X are made of brass (or any other heavy metal if it ever wasn't brass!) and given how heavy they are compared to Datura Pro I can assure you it's not just finish! :sweat_smile:

Anyway they look great as well and they sound totally different from Datura Pro, I would say that they are a "fun listen" if it ever means anything! :L3000:

Here are the 2 pairs side by side:
Faaeal_Daturas.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back