Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 20, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #50,506 of 75,308
I wouldn't call it bassy but it does sound better now. Vocals sound better and everything is a bit clearer.

What's the reasoning behind turning the pre-amp down to -15?
To avoid distortion. You can raise that if you like but my guess is that it won't be able to go higher than - 7 dB without distortion. In peace there's a meter that shows if clipping is occurring. You can use that to guage your computer 's tolerance.

Nov 20, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #50,507 of 75,308
I wouldn't call it bassy but it does sound better now. Vocals sound better and everything is a bit clearer.

thanks for giving it a go. My main goal is to clean up lower mid bleed and bring some additional clarity with the hope of increasing soundstage.

Nov 20, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #50,508 of 75,308
To avoid distortion. You can raise that if you like but my guess is that it won't be able to go higher than - 7 dB without distortion. In peace there's a meter that shows if clipping is occurring. You can use that to guage your computer 's tolerance.
So with the PEQ files, we need to setup a preamp value under -6dB (around -7dB)?

Nov 20, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #50,509 of 75,308
haven't posted here for a while now, i hope everyone's doing well:grin:

i haven't purchased any new earbuds, I've seem to settled in with my existing collections for now.

i do however purchased some TWS earbuds recently, the Soundpeats Trueair2 and Tronsmart Onyx Ace. i can say they are quite good sounding for the price. i especially like the more "analog" and airy sounding Onyx Ace, while the Trueair2 sounded more like an IEM and more brittle on the treble for my taste, but still good sounding. i even like the Onyx Ace more than my old Sabbat X12

the only problem that i have with both of them is they both sometimes have hiccups in connection, especially the Trueair2, which even when i touch the stem to adjust in my ears would cause the signal to drop in one of them. the Onyx Ace have much less signal dropouts, but still more frequent compared to my other IEM TWS. it might be because of my older phone and tablet, but still worth to mention

Nov 20, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #50,510 of 75,308
deleted.

Sorry

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #50,511 of 75,308
I've just started using buds, thanks to working from home and not needing isolation on the train or in the office. I bought some yincrow rw-9, which sound great for the price so thanks to everyone who has recommended those in earlier posts! I was thinking about trying to go up the ladder a little though, but its difficult to find direct comparisons of the buds at the top of the tree. Everyone seems to love the st10s (black and gold), but how do they compare to the new fiio's, the chacone's, or even the 1more E1008 (the most easily available for me)?

My source is a chord mojo and I enjoy the sound signature from my yincrow's, and also my nighthawks and the various B&O over ears that I have...

tia for any insights

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #50,512 of 75,308
So with the PEQ files, we need to setup a preamp value under -6dB (around -7dB)?
It varies depending on the correction values in the compensation file (as well as the headroom required). Autoeq generates a log file of sorts that gives guidance as to what it things the preamp value should be. However, there is also a good deal of variability dependent on the sound card of the computer/laptop. I haven't yet come across any compensation files generated by autoeq that doesn't require utilizing a negative preamp value on my 2 laptops (the one that was stolen and the one I'm currently on) and desktop. That value can be wide-ranging. I think I have a bud that requires -17dB and others that are find around -5dB.

oh, and sensitivity will also affect what the preamp value should be.

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #50,513 of 75,308
I've just started using buds, thanks to working from home and not needing isolation on the train or in the office. I bought some yincrow rw-9, which sound great for the price so thanks to everyone who has recommended those in earlier posts! I was thinking about trying to go up the ladder a little though, but its difficult to find direct comparisons of the buds at the top of the tree. Everyone seems to love the st10s (black and gold), but how do they compare to the new fiio's, the chacone's, or even the 1more E1008 (the most easily available for me)?

My source is a chord mojo and I enjoy the sound signature from my yincrow's, and also my nighthawks and the various B&O over ears that I have...

tia for any insights
Welcome!

Quite a few of us got our start fairly recently for the exact same reasons you outlined and add one more for me -- I work(ed) down in the basement of my condo and could not hear my kids or wife calling out to me with my iems, hence my introduction to buds (well, one more reason... I had an inner and middle ear infection for several weeks and had to avoid iems for quite a while.)

I have some opinions on totl earbuds but I'll let others chime in as I have an interview to prep for!

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #50,514 of 75,308

correct, my bass edition files are not bassy for bassheads or for people already familiar with the earbud world (since buds tend to have detrimentally large amounts of bass, with severe bleed). I only call it that because my neutral versions will be completely flat through the lower mids into the sub-bass regions (like my v1.4 was). Ironically, for buds, bass is still very present when normalizing things to that target curve, but it is more analytical-ish / reference sounding.

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #50,515 of 75,308
Anyone here with the K300 from the Nicehck store (they are supposedly K's K300)?
(aliexpress.com/item/32783590564.html)

I'm about to order them as my first 300 Ohm buds, but I can find reviews on them.

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #50,516 of 75,308
Howdy all. Prepping for next weeks ali sale. Looking at Smabat ST10s gold and or doing the DIY M2pro kit and getting the 150ohm driver with it. Anyone had experience with the M2 pro with 150ohm driver? The kit has me really curious anyway, have been wondering what my 400ohm and 600ohm drivers would sound like in that M2 shell/filters. Looks like St10s Gold will be around $100 and the DIY kit is at $40 plus $35 for the 150ohm driver. Not interested in the St10s Silver at this time.

Anything in this price range that I am overlooking that's new in the last few months?

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #50,517 of 75,308
@headenvelopedinsound

I did the M2 Pro kit using the gold driver. I like them a lot because they have the best low extension among my buds (TP16, Rambo II, ME80, DIY Mx500, DIY TC200, DIY pk2, DIY pk1, etc...). However, I wonder how they compare to the ST-10s (gold drivers) due to the different shells.

Be aware that it was possible to order the same kit at about $ 30 during the last 11.11. It is then possible that they may put them on sale again for the next BF.

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #50,518 of 75,308
@headenvelopedinsound

I did the M2 Pro kit using the gold driver. I like them a lot because they have the best low extension among my buds (TP16, Rambo II, ME80, DIY Mx500, DIY TC200, DIY pk2, DIY pk1, etc...). However, I wonder how they compare to the ST-10s (gold drivers) due to the different shells.

Be aware that it was possible to order the same kit at about $ 30 during the last 11.11. It is then possible that they may put them on sale again for the next BF.

If they do put them on sale for $30 I may just get the standard M2 pro kit and the ST10s Gold. Thanks for the heads up! The main interest in the kit is to put my other drivers in that shell. Nothing wrong with my M1 pro or ST10, just want more buds to hang with. :)

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #50,519 of 75,308
I prepare to upgrade earbuds on Black Friday. I currently have an Ry4S with a silver cable (fixed) which play well with the FiiO BTR3. Their sound signature suits me in general, maybe they could be a bit more weighted. Of the other earbuds I've had, I liked the sound of the Vido MX500 and the VE Monk Candy.

The new earbuds will play with Shanling UP4 or FiiO BTR5.

Budget: 30-40 $ max.

I was thinking of buying RY4S mmcx + 2.5mm cable, QianYun Qian69, Yinyooo BK2 or increasing the budget and buying the Smabat M2 Pro.

I reject the Senfers PT25 because I had PT15 and their sound did not suit me.

What can you recommend? Thank you in advance for your help! :)

Nov 20, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #50,520 of 75,308
Yincrow RW-1000 Bass Pro

IMG_20201119_145211.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back