Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 20, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #49,906 of 75,203
Reposting the important parts of my post here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rik...-list-statistics.925319/page-34#post-15928727
(about my updated review scores)

EARBUDS: I have to apologize for my review of these buds, as they are not as good as I though back then when I didn’t have many buds. I sincerely apologize to anyone that got them based on my review and were disappointed.

Moondrop Shiroyuki
: From 3.5/5 to 3/5. Surpassed in every way by the NiceHCK DIY MX500 that is also cheaper.

Moondrop Nameless: From 4.5/5 to 4/5. Surpassed in almost every way (sound) by the NiceHCK DIY MX500 that is also cheaper. But the build and cable quality on the Nameless is very good.

Moondrop VX Classic: From 4.5/5 to 3.5/5. Surpassed by the NiceHCK DIY MX500 that is much cheaper, while the K´s Bell-LB is on a similar SQ (better technicalities in the VX classic) and has similar shape while it is cheaper.

Qigom S130: From 4.5/5 to 4/5. Surpassed by the Yincrow X6, cleaner and more fun with a MUCH better bass. Although technicalities on the S130 is better than the X6 and is still very good, but the price of the S130 makes it drop in score.

Oct 20, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #49,907 of 75,203
hey which one is worth more? the fiio em5 or the chaconne? id love to hear some amazing vocals

Hi, sorry I'm late, but I have only the Moondrop Chaconne.
First, the Chacnne is a bit heavy, but it's fine for listening at home.
Then, in terms of sound, I think the Chaconne is suited for female vocals, as it has warm clarity in the mid and treble and better detailed separation of sound.
If you want to hear enough bass, you can use a silicone ring such as the "SENNHEISER 563605" to get a good seal.
Chaconne's review can be found at:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/moondrop-chaconne.24110/

As for the Fiio EM5, I read the following review says it's good at bass, but you'll have to read it for yourself.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-em5.24708/

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #49,908 of 75,203
Hi is anyone experiencing the smabat st10s shocking your ears when using with anything connected to a power.
I was using it when charging my se100 and literally got shocked. this was the same when plugging it into my cavalli tube hybrid.. I do see some people using it with desktop amps so just checking if anyone else has experiend the same as me.

Oct 21, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #49,909 of 75,203
Hi is anyone experiencing the smabat st10s shocking your ears when using with anything connected to a power.
I was using it when charging my se100 and literally got shocked. this was the same when plugging it into my cavalli tube hybrid.. I do see some people using it with desktop amps so just checking if anyone else has experiend the same as me.

I have tried the black gold st10s on a few desktop amps to phones to dongles to daps. Never got shocked before. But i never charge and use my source at the same time.

I think one possibility might have to do with u charging and using the source at the same time. Is that safe for equipment in general?

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #49,911 of 75,203
I have tried the black gold st10s on a few desktop amps to phones to dongles to daps. Never got shocked before. But i never charge and use my source at the same time.

I think one possibility might have to do with u charging and using the source at the same time. Is that safe for equipment in general?
Not at all.
He must avoid it.

If you are using a DAP as a USB DAC, you can't actually avoid listening to it while it's charging - unless it has separate data & charge ports.

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #49,912 of 75,203
If you are using a DAP as a USB DAC, you can't actually avoid listening to it while it's charging - unless it has separate data & charge ports.

Yeah i guess if it is used as a USB DAC that's true, but for other general uses, eg just using a DAP as a DAP, or using a portable amp, will charging and listening to music at the same time be risky? I'm not an expert in electronics, so just wondering.

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #49,913 of 75,203

You are right.

I thought he was using smartphones but he said the problem happens "with anything connected to a power".

Yeah i guess if it is used as a USB DAC that's true, but for other general uses, eg just using a DAP as a DAP, or using a portable amp, will charging and listening to music at the same time be risky? I'm not an expert in electronics, so just wondering.

Usually, the risks are related to the connection to an outlet.

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #49,914 of 75,203
Haven't posted for a long time. I think I'm still okay with my Korven DIY earbuds (by Kris Sumabat) paired with a 5.5G iPod Classic (with 256GB mSATA drive). That is until I get a Blur earbuds by Mr. Wong.

1603289842395.png

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #49,915 of 75,203
So I've taken an interest in dual driver earbuds after trying and loving my 1more e1008 once more, how are the toneking ty2?
Are there any other dual driver earbuds I should know about?
How do they compare to other earbuds?

Is is there another place to find Rose dual driver eabuds? Only the Maria seems to be available and it's a pricier flagship, though I have no doubt it's worth the spend with the 20mm driver and such.

In other news I just got the jcally/smabat ep01, will wait a little to give impressions, thus far they seem bright and compareable to the moondrop nameless, anecdotally I think the nameless have a bit better imaging and resolution.

I'm also curious if the moondrop vx classic are a worthwhile spend as an upgrade to the nameless, how much better are they?

my next slightly pricier earbud purchase will likely be the smabat m2 pro DIY kit since I've got this lovely soldering iron to play with.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #49,916 of 75,203

The se100 when connected to the CTH will also shock my ears when using them. the CTH draws power from the power outlet cause its a desktop amp. my other non chifi iems do not have these issue.

but i can use them with my portable amps like the a100 with no issues when not connected to a power outlet though..

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #49,917 of 75,203
The se100 when connected to the CTH will also shock my ears when using them. the CTH draws power from the power outlet cause its a desktop amp. my other non chifi iems do not have these issue.

but i can use them with my portable amps like the a100 with no issues when not connected to a power outlet though..

Have u tried a different cable? I have encountered getting shocked once on another IEM that had a cable with some wonky soldering/grounding possibly. I swapped it out for an aftermarket cable and no more shocks. But I think some of the others here have to advise though, I'm not an expert in electronics.

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #49,918 of 75,203
Have u tried a different cable? I have encountered getting shocked once on another IEM that had a cable with some wonky soldering/grounding possibly. I swapped it out for an aftermarket cable and no more shocks. But I think some of the others here have to advise though, I'm not an expert in electronics.

I see. I have only tried another chifi cable i bought off aliexpress. I dont have much mmcx headphones cos its mmcx lol.
let me see if i can grab a cheap EA cable locally..

Thanks for all your help.

Oct 22, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #49,919 of 75,203
Nicehck EB2 and KBEar Stellar here.
What a great surprise they are!

EB2, due to their size, are amazing for my small ears. Sound wise, they are very good compared to my current set of earbuds. Stellar is a fun set and very impressive regarding its price point.

Thank you everyone for suggesting EB2.
IMG_20201022_102347.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #49,920 of 75,203
C446F8C7-1571-4BE9-9355-D064451FDA6A.jpeg

The yincrow x6 seriously impresses me. For $10 from Aliexpress it punches way above its belt. The low end response that you get from it is satisfying if you’re into EDM. Picture here is the Yincrow X6 hooked up to the Bryston BHA-1 for maximum slam (for schiits and giggles). Normally I have the yincrows powered by the Apple dongle but decided it’ll be fun to try the Yincrows on a $2K headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back