Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 9, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #49,156 of 75,284
If you're implying price gouging, here are some things to consider :

- just the material for a good cable can run 40-60% of the final price, not to mention labor to build the cable. Not difficult, I know, as I've built cables before, but still easily justifies another $10-15 labor to make the cable.

- there's also a premium that should be considered along the lines of an artist commission.

- wong's builds have been highly regarded for quite some time. If they aren't worth the price, the market would of priced him out long ago.

- reviews are not easy to come by, but well regarded head'fiers have vouched for his products.

Good enough for me. And I do not doubt his claims.

+1. I still distinctly remember the time I demo'd one of Wong's creations. It was astounding. I hope to be able to afford a Blur someday.

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #49,157 of 75,284
Spent some time cleaning up the sound from the Yuin PK2.

Even after significant alterations, the graph looks pretty horrendous. The only way to fix this is with using a PEQ, but since I'm mainly doing this for my phone, I stay with graphic eq settings. Not posting graphs since they look so ugly. :)

Importantly, what I noticed is that the typical sub-bass roll-off since in many/most buds are significantly less pronounced when you cut the upper bass/lower mids. Not surprising when you consider that many of the bass and mid bloat sounding buds are actually putting out prodigious amounts of low end, it just sounds all muddy (to my ears).

eq_yuin pk2.png

drastic looking, I know...

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #49,158 of 75,284
Can you guys suggest some earbuds I can upgrade to that is similar to the NiceHCK MX500, traceless or the Faaeal Snow lotus 2.5?

For referrence I dislike the DQSM Turandot, way too unnatural tonality and too bright for me (although that bass is good). I would like to have a similar signature as the 3 above but with better sub-bass (at least somewhat comparable to iems would be nice).

The smabat ST10s seems to have one of the best bass but I am not sure if I would like it since it seems to be a bright bud. L-shaped I guess would be preferred.

EDIT: A replaceable cable would be a huge plus, but NOT required IF the stock cable is decent. (Not like on the Faaeal Iris or the Snow lotus, they feel disgusting.)
Sent you a PM if you don't mind. Got a set of ST10s gold from a friendly fellow in this thread for cheap but ended up not using them a whole lot (too high of an impedance for my phone, which is my primary source).

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #49,159 of 75,284
Hi! I'm planning to buy the Smabat ST-10s, the 40ohm variant. However, I'am kind of worried because I remember seeing a post here in this forum that the mmcx connectors were loose. Is that still the case now? Many thanks!

The loose connectors were only on some early batches in the 1st revision of the original ST-10 (green color). Pretty sure that it won't be an issue in the newer ST-10s.

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #49,160 of 75,284
The loose connectors were only on some early batches in the 1st revision of the original ST-10 (green color). Pretty sure that it won't be an issue in the newer ST-10s.

Thanks for the heads up! currently having a hard time deciding whether to buy the ST-10s 40 ohm or the Smabat M2 pro. I listen to mostly rock, rap, and electronic music. What do you guys suggest should I buy between the two?

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #49,161 of 75,284
Thanks for the heads up! currently having a hard time deciding whether to buy the ST-10s 40 ohm or the Smabat M2 pro. I listen to mostly rock, rap, and electronic music. What do you guys suggest should I buy between the two?
What are some of your favorite IEMs?

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #49,162 of 75,284

I haven't heard the SMABAT ST10S 40 ohm (aka black silver), but some members here have said the black gold (150 ohm) version sounds better. Maybe you might wanna top up a bit more for it? Though it might need a powerful source in view of the 150 ohm impedance.

The SMABAT M2 Pro has tuning modules (and even the option to put aftermarket drivers inside but u will need soldering skills), so it sort of gives u more than one earbud with this purchase, cause u can make it V shaped or more neutralish. I would think for your music genres as above, a V shaped sound would have better bass quantity and make the music more "fun". SMABAT M2 Pro on the tuning module that makes it V shaped actually has not bad subbass extension for a earbud, and bass quantity is not bad, though there's a slight midbass bleed.

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #49,163 of 75,284
I haven't heard the SMABAT ST10S 40 ohm (aka black silver), but some members here have said the black gold (150 ohm) version sounds better. Maybe you might wanna top up a bit more for it? Though it might need a powerful source in view of the 150 ohm impedance.

The SMABAT M2 Pro has tuning modules (and even the option to put aftermarket drivers inside but u will need soldering skills), so it sort of gives u more than one earbud with this purchase, cause u can make it V shaped or more neutralish. I would think for your music genres as above, a V shaped sound would have better bass quantity and make the music more "fun". SMABAT M2 Pro on the tuning module that makes it V shaped actually has not bad subbass extension for a earbud, and bass quantity is not bad, though there's a slight midbass bleed.

Hmm My current dap is only an Ipod touch, so the black gold (150 ohm) is out of the question. Plus, I'm not planning to buy an amp anytime soon. I think I saw a review of the M2 pro's that the pre installed tuning modules are the neutral sounding ones, if that's the case, in your experience, is it difficult to change the tuning modules to the V shaped one? I know there is a video that has a tutorial on how to change the modules, but I'am kind of nervous since I have no experience changing or disassembling earbuds.

Sep 9, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #49,164 of 75,284
Hmm My current dap is only an Ipod touch, so the black gold (150 ohm) is out of the question. Plus, I'm not planning to buy an amp anytime soon. I think I saw a review of the M2 pro's that the pre installed tuning modules are the neutral sounding ones, if that's the case, in your experience, is it difficult to change the tuning modules to the V shaped one? I know there is a video that has a tutorial on how to change the modules, but I'am kind of nervous since I have no experience changing or disassembling earbuds.

Changing the tuning modules is easy, just use the card key to pull out the module and put the new one in. The only risk is damaging the driver wiring if u accidentally screw the earbud cover on the wire when replacing the cover. It can be easily changed within a minute or so. There's a provided full foams vs silicone cover that can also change the signature, so many permutations even if you don't change drivers.

If u wanna explore different aftermarket driver types, that one is difficult, it needs soldering skills.

The SMABAT M2 Pro benefits from amping though, it scales better with amping and dynamics get better with more bass quantity/extension. So if you really wanna get the most out of it, it might be good to invest in a cheap DAC/AMP dongle thing.

Sep 9, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #49,165 of 75,284

Even after significant alterations, the graph looks pretty horrendous. The only way to fix this is with using a PEQ, but since I'm mainly doing this for my phone, I stay with graphic eq settings. Not posting graphs since they look so ugly. :)

Importantly, what I noticed is that the typical sub-bass roll-off since in many/most buds are significantly less pronounced when you cut the upper bass/lower mids. Not surprising when you consider that many of the bass and mid bloat sounding buds are actually putting out prodigious amounts of low end, it just sounds all muddy (to my ears).

eq_yuin pk2.png

I really find it strange how prevalent midbass bloat is, in earbuds and in IEMs. This is the EQ I'm using on the Rambo2:

Raised subbass 2db, pulled the mids down 3.5db, raised >1khz 1-4db. Sounds way cleaner, and the boosted subbass becomes much more notable. I really don't know who would prefer the original tuning.

Also a request, if you're making measurements it'd be cool to add them to their respective head gear entries. Even if it does look like garbage, I've found frequency response graphs are best used for sorting out stuff that's obviously bad. Once I've seen that it has a sane enough tuning I get interested in how capable it really is. It's up to you though, I'm way too cheap to have enough stuff to warrant getting into measurements myself.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200907-222503.png
    Screenshot_20200907-222503.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
Sep 9, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #49,166 of 75,284
Changing the tuning modules is easy, just use the card key to pull out the module and put the new one in. The only risk is damaging the driver wiring if u accidentally screw the earbud cover on the wire when replacing the cover. It can be easily changed within a minute or so. There's a provided full foams vs silicone cover that can also change the signature, so many permutations even if you don't change drivers.

If u wanna explore different aftermarket driver types, that one is difficult, it needs soldering skills.

The SMABAT M2 Pro benefits from amping though, it scales better with amping and dynamics get better with more bass quantity/extension. So if you really wanna get the most out of it, it might be good to invest in a cheap DAC/AMP dongle thing.

Turns out I have a Cozoy takt dongle dac/amp. I think that would be sufficient enough to drive the M2 pro. Will the M2 pro with the pre installed neutral module with full foams be good enough for rock, rap and electronic music? Im not really keen on changing the modules if I ever do buy them this month. Maybe in the future? Once this whole Covid thing is over. Thanks in advance, you've been really helpful!

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #49,167 of 75,284
Turns out I have a Cozoy takt dongle dac/amp. I think that would be sufficient enough to drive the M2 pro. Will the M2 pro with the pre installed neutral module with full foams be good enough for rock, rap and electronic music? Im not really keen on changing the modules if I ever do buy them this month. Maybe in the future? Once this whole Covid thing is over. Thanks in advance, you've been really helpful!

I think it would be better to have more bass for rock and rap, cause with the default neutralish bright module, even with full foams, I find it too bass lite for me (but I'm a basshead maybe not the best person to take bass reference from haha, so YMMV). The default neutralish bright module is good for vocals and acoustic stuff though.

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #49,168 of 75,284

Which version of the Yuin PK2? There is the old one and a newer one afaik.

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #49,169 of 75,284

Users who are viewing this thread

Back