Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 13, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #48,706 of 75,871
Hi @cenizas, I did further A/B testing this week for the SMABAT M2 Pro vs the original SMABAT ST10.

Smabat sells the driver of the black gold version of ST-10s for the M2 Pro.

It would be a good experiment to see how the M2 Pro with such a driver holds against the same ST-10s version.

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #48,707 of 75,871
Which version of the ST-10 did you compare with, if you know it? (v1, v2 or v3?)

Wow there are 3 versions? I only knew about 2 LOL.

I am really not sure which version I have of the ST10 as I bought mine off a second hand shop. The MMCX seem quite sturdy and the tuning seems to be mostly neutralish with a bass boost, so you have any idea which version it could be?

Smabat sells the driver of the black gold version of ST-10s for the M2 Pro.

It would be a good experiment to see how the M2 Pro with such a driver holds against the same ST-10s version.

Yeah that would be interesting indeed. However, I have minimal soldering skills haha. So would need some of the more hands on folks here to try this if they have the extra bandwidth to.

Though even with the same driver, I would think other things like shell size/material/shape and damping materials may change the sound signature too.

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #48,708 of 75,871
Though even with the same driver, I would think other things like shell size/material/shape and damping materials may change the sound signature too.

I think that too.

Aug 13, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #48,709 of 75,871
Wow there are 3 versions? I only knew about 2 LOL.

I am really not sure which version I have of the ST10 as I bought mine off a second hand shop. The MMCX seem quite sturdy and the tuning seems to be mostly neutralish with a bass boost, so you have any idea which version it could be?

I put pics up of the new vs old, which would be V1 & V2. I don't know if there is an external way to tell between V2 & V3.

The green anodizing on V2 was not quite as nice as V1 as well, iirc.

Pics:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-2809#post-14962463

Versions:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3047#post-15286443

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #48,710 of 75,871
Hi @cenizas, I did further A/B testing this week for the SMABAT M2 Pro vs the original SMABAT ST10.

This is using full foams with tuning module 0 (ie V shaped and bassier tuning module) on the SMABAT M2 Pro:
  • The ST10 has better bass extension and quantity even with the SMABAT M2 Pro on the most bassy config as above.
  • The ST10's note weight is slightly thinner with a slightly cooler tonality and less authentic timbre than the SMABAT M2 Pro. M2 Pro sounds more analoguish and nebulous.
  • SMABAT M2 Pro has slightly more recessed lower mids.
  • Technicalities wise, the ST10 is ahead, with better soundstage, better imaging, instrument separation, clarity and details on the ST10. In fact imaging and instrument separation are one step behind on the SMABAT M2 Pro compared to the ST10, especially when it comes to complex tracks.
  • Fit wise, the ST10 is larger and slightly less comfortable.
Since you own the Black Gold version, which is the supposed successor and upgrade over the original SMABAT ST10, and with the M2 Pro already losing to the ST10 in technicalities, I would suppose the M2 Pro would also be a downgrade for you in the area of technicalities. Never heard the Black Gold or Black Silver ST10S sets, so I'm not sure how their timbre is, but probably SMABAT ST10S Black Gold and Black Silver are still deserving of the flagship status even with the new kid on the block in the M2 Pro.
That's really helpful, thanks for the detailed impressions!

Aug 14, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #48,712 of 75,871
Hi,
I have been out of the scene since a bit. I was lucky enough to find few years ago a pair of old stock sennheiser mx 980 which I still enjoy on a daily basis. Some years ago I have been trying a cheap Chinese earbuds sub-10 dollars on AliExpress - called Monk Plus - that someone in the forum said they were comparable to the sennheiser, they were not by far - they are still in the drawer.
Now my mx980 have the plastic of the cable which is completely opening up, do you know any tricks to save it?
Also have you a serious alternative to suggest please? Be aware that I also loved the sound of the sennheiser mx 880, unfortunately I do not have them anymore but from memory strangely enough I liked them probably more than the mx980.
Cheers!
Hi, as no-one was able to reply to my questions (you can still do it :wink: ) I have ordered some smabat ST10, hopefully they are good enough in comparison to the sennheiser MX980 I own. I will let you know, even though I am not used to in depth review as some of you I can tell you at least what my ears (similar than yours) prefers or detect :wink:
Before ordering the ST10 I was in doubt with the RamboII which seems to have a large spectrum range but I could not see any comparison of them with the ST10 and it appears from reading the forum the ST10 are top of the line.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #48,713 of 75,871
I have a question, niceNCK ME80 really need burn in ?

Mine sounded good right OOTB. But a few hours of burn in certainly isn’t going to hurt anything.

Aug 14, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #48,715 of 75,871
NiceHCK ME80 and Vido arrived. In less than 5 minutes of testing both , already make FAAEL sound even worse. Never again buying from that crap company. Bass wise for both, I'm guessing you'd have to either turn volume up to get a little thump, eq or get an amp ? They sure don't sound like iris and snow lotus radio static junk. Best of all ? No channel imbalance I can detect.

Aug 14, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #48,716 of 75,871
NiceHCK ME80 and Vido arrived. In less than 5 minutes of testing both , already make FAAEL sound even worse. Never again buying from that crap company. Bass wise for both, I'm guessing you'd have to either turn volume up to get a little thump, eq or get an amp ? They sure don't sound like iris and snow lotus radio static junk. Best of all ? No channel imbalance I can detect.

Sorry to hear that. Which iteration of the Snow Lotus and Iris did you have a bad experience with?

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #48,718 of 75,871
Listening to some tunes tonight using the Faaeal Iris 2.0. Good low end, mids are okay but I feel the timbre is slightly off (some instruments sound a bit weird). Vocals are nice and upfront, soundstage is spacious and separation is good as well. Treble sounds smooth and rolled off, no piercing highs, making the overall tone to be warm. I think the Iris 2.0 needs some power to shine.

When I close my eyes and shut off the lights, I can get lost in the music without paying too much attention to the earbuds and its technicalities and/or capabilities (or lack thereof). That's a win in my book.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Aug 15, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #48,719 of 75,871
Listening to some tunes tonight using the Faaeal Iris 2.0. Good low end, mids are okay but I feel the timbre is slightly off (some instruments sound a bit weird). Vocals are nice and upfront, soundstage is spacious and separation is good as well. Treble sounds smooth and rolled off, no piercing highs, making the overall tone to be warm. I think the Iris 2.0 needs some power to shine.

When I close my eyes and shut off the lights, I can get lost in the music without paying too much attention to the earbuds and its technicalities and/or capabilities (or lack thereof). That's a win in my book.

Have a nice weekend everyone.
Moondrop Shiro-Yuki, Faaeal Iris 2.0, NiceHCK B40 and Yincrow X6
Can you compare them?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #48,720 of 75,871
Been a long time since iv been on here. How is everyone? Last time I was here was maybe a year and a half ago haha so I'm sure alot has happened in the earbud world.

Anyway i just ordered the blur 173 from wong seems to have alot of hype around it at least from him says its his best yet. I was originally really interested in the d2+ but apparently the new blur Is better. So here is hoping it lives up to it.

I'll post a review once I get them. If anyone also ordered or already has em im curious of your thoughts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back