Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 16, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #48,271 of 75,355
+100! Glad you're enjoying them! I love the RW9's as well (permanent spot in my favorites list) :beerchug:

I think you were the reason that I bought the RW9. You do your job of enabling quite well.

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #48,272 of 75,355
I ordered RY4S plus and Vido. Thank you !

You are welcome!
Also I need to warn that Vido have a kind of veil. It's not a big problem, but you need to know about it. However, like I said, these earbuds have very pleasant tonality and universality for a lot of music genres.
cameringo_20200419_134404 (1).jpg

Good luck in starting in this kind of hobby!

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #48,273 of 75,355
Plan on getting the same combo (RY4S plus mmcx and Vido) for my first dive into earbuds.
I have read in this thread that in Vido diferent color mean diferent sound (because of diferent foams?), does the same apply to RY4S plus mmcx or are all the same?

Thank you!

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #48,275 of 75,355
Jun 16, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #48,276 of 75,355
On one of my more and more rare visits here. There are more TOTL earbuds than SWD3 and CAX Red Dragon. I remember Herry said that he would not make more Red Dragon because it took too much time and he's got other projects plus a full time job. The first pair was made after a guy asked for a custom made pair of earbuds. I actually own that very pair, and bought it second hand from the original owner. I think he paid close to $700 and I got it for a little over $600. That pair had a sound that was customed to be close to HD800s. At least one more pair has been made, that was sold to a guy in South Korea. If you search this thread, you can probably find info on that.
While I think Red Dragon is far above my other earbuds in SQ, dynamics, detail etc, I am not sure if I would pay that much again for earbuds or headphones. (other earbuds I own are for example SWD2+, Cypherus Campfred 2 & Zoomfred, Blox TM 7 & TM9 & ABnormal Diomnes Lv2). Plus the cable is super stiff which makes difficult to use when moving around. Just move your head slightly and they pop out of your ears.

Prices have gone up the last few years. Still cheaper than IEMs, though.

There are a lot new TOTL earbuds that have come out in the last 1-2 years that I have not heard. They might be quite good. I was close to buying the Ourart QJ21 but after Swedish customs started putting import taxes on EVERYTHING from outside the EU, no matter the value of the parcel, I sort of lost the will to buy stuff from outside the EU.

Lately I've been amazed by the beauty of the earbuds that Korean Dez Kim has custom made and displayed on his Facebook page. Check it out!
Hey, just curious how the Blox buds compare to the swd2+, any insights you could share? Also, wonder how far off the Bloxs and the swd2+ are from the red dragon in terms of performance.

Jun 16, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #48,278 of 75,355
I did so well, not bought any earbuds for about 8 months, last 24hrs bought Snow Lotus 1.0, Traceless and RW-9 after recent comments on here, really excited to try something new, been using BK2 and RY4S UE for what seems like forever.

Resistance! Is! Futile!

I'm not familiar with the Traceless, so I'll be interested in how you think they compare.

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #48,280 of 75,355
During recent months I was reminiscing about stock earbuds I had with my Technics cd player as a teen and my first player ever, iriver e10, bought it right at release. Since these were very good memories of innocent music enjoyment I decided to buy some new earbuds in 2020. Two Faaeal models: blue Snow Lotus 1.0+ 64ohm and Datura X. Don't know why I decided to get these exact models, probably because of nice names, decent comments and intuition. Anyway, Snow Lotuses are almost here and Daturas will take a while. I also want earbuds because it's not pleasant to use in-ears after the late evening shower. Looking forward to hearing them and maybe even recreating that teen feeling.

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #48,281 of 75,355
I have been using the **** bk2 everyday, when watching stuff on my phone/tablet at home and need a second pair

Instead of buying the same... I was looking for a alternative. Is the Chitty's SR2 16ohms still better at 10-20usd price range, or is better?

PS: I ordered the SR2, 2 months ago, but never arrived :frowning2:

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #48,282 of 75,355
Received an email today from AliExpress, saying that my Smabat ST-10s (Gold/Black) has arrived at my local Post Office. So, maybe they'll be in my mailbox in the next day or two.
Looking forward to hearing them.
Are y'all liking them with - No Foams, Thin Foams, Thick Foams, or Donut Foams?

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #48,283 of 75,355
Instead of buying the same... I was looking for a alternative. Is the Chitty's SR2 16ohms still better at 10-20usd price range, or is better?

PS: I ordered the SR2, 2 months ago, but never arrived :frowning2:

I tried the single vent shell version, it was not very good. Sounded muffled and veiled. Tried the blowing/suction trick, donut foams, etc and no dice. Worse sounding bud I've heard.

The double vent shell is reportedly decent but I haven't heard it.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #48,284 of 75,355
Hey, just curious how the Blox buds compare to the swd2+, any insights you could share? Also, wonder how far off the Bloxs and the swd2+ are from the red dragon in terms of performance.

It's been a while since I listened to TM7. I think it's slightly better than TM9, even if that's also good. I would pick SWD2+ over both Blox earbuds. The soundstage on SWD2+ and TM9 are about the same. TM7 is slightly smaller. When it comes to instrument placement and layering SWD2+ is slightly better than TM7 which in turn is better than TM9. SWD2+ is slightly bright sounding but not harsh. It's got surprisingly good bass for an earbud with that type of shell. They all are slightly different with SWD2+ being about details, TM9 about soundstage and TM7 about musicality (I always groove when I use TM7, although I do not use it outside anymore since it's an old and rare earbud).

Red Dragon is a pair of full size headphones in MX500 shells. Not really much more I can write about it. You can easily distinguish tiny details in the music, feel the "ambiance" of the room where the music was recorded. It cannot compete with high end headphones, but I'm amazed that a pair of earbuds have such a big and full sound with real weight in all the instruments.

Usually when I go out I choose between SWD2+, Cypherus CampFred 2 and ZoomFred. Those 3 are my main earbuds.

I am so far able to hold back from trying stuff like Ourart QJ21 and DQSM Turandot. If I find them at a good price with not or minimum import taxes added, I might fail to hold back.

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #48,285 of 75,355
I tried the single vent shell version, it was not very good. Sounded muffled and veiled. Tried the blowing/suction trick, donut foams, etc and no dice. Worse sounding bud I've heard.

The double vent shell is reportedly decent but I haven't heard it.

I didn't know there were 2 versions of the SR2 :\ In your opinion what is the best earbud for 20/30usd?

I really like the yinyºº bk2. I was looking at the toneking TO200, but my phone and tablet couldn't drive that at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back