Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 18, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #48,301 of 75,375
I have the silver K's LBB but I don't have the black to compare, but I can confirm that the cable is springy and has memory, also prone to oxidation.

Someone said that the black LBB is warm sounding, the silver has a signature closer to NiceHCK EB2 or Moondrop Shiro-Yuki, i.e. quite balanced sounding but with a slight emphasis on the upper mids and tonality is neutral-bright.

Thank you! Didn't know there was a difference between the black and silver :/ sucks that the cable is like that. One of the reasons I love the bk2 is the cable, very flexible.

Thanks for the feedback, seems that I have to wait for the black to be on stock again.

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #48,302 of 75,375
Hey guys, maybe a weird question...but i"m searching for earbuds that will be good for watching movies and tv shows, headphones are uncomfortable for me because i have a big head and large ears, so earbuds will be a better choice i think, so do i need to spend a lot- like the smabat st10, or another flagship or will it be an overkill? Thx

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #48,303 of 75,375
Hey guys, maybe a weird question...but i"m searching for earbuds that will be good for watching movies and tv shows, headphones are uncomfortable for me because i have a big head and large ears, so earbuds will be a better choice i think, so do i need to spend a lot- like the smabat st10, or another flagship or will it be an overkill? Thx
Probably overkill unless you'll use them for music also, plenty of budget earbuds sound good and would be perfectly fine for TV and film, comfort is why I use earbuds (I have small ears though). I can end up with them in a whole day and absolutely no discomfort which I can't get with headphones or IEMs. If you need some decent low end depending on type of TV and films then the RY4S UE is a good place to start in budget buds.

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #48,304 of 75,375
Probably overkill unless you'll use them for music also, plenty of budget earbuds sound good and would be perfectly fine for TV and film, comfort is why I use earbuds (I have small ears though). I can end up with them in a whole day and absolutely no discomfort which I can't get with headphones or IEMs. If you need some decent low end depending on type of TV and films then the RY4S UE is a good place to start in budget buds.

Thx...they don't necessarily need to be budget earbuds, want good quality audio when watching...

Jun 18, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #48,305 of 75,375

Something like a pair of VE Monk+ earbuds will be fine for watching movies. That's what I use my Monk+ for mainly these days...

Jun 18, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #48,306 of 75,375
I'm not watching on a laptop...watching using a good projector on a 120' screen, so i want to match the picture quality with audio quality as best i can considering the limitations of headphones in general and earbuds in specific, so what is my best earbuds choice for premium audio for tv and movies?

Jun 18, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #48,307 of 75,375
I'm not watching on a laptop...watching using a good projector on a 120' screen, so i want to match the picture quality with audio quality as best i can considering the limitations of headphones in general and earbuds in specific, so what is my best earbuds choice for premium audio for tv and movies?

If the excellent and great value RY4S and Monk+ are too cheap perhaps give the Ksearphone Bell-Ti a go, they're a little bit more expensive but will definitely give you a premium feel to go with your projector.

Jun 18, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #48,308 of 75,375
If the excellent and great value RY4S and Monk+ are too cheap perhaps give the Ksearphone Bell-Ti a go, they're a little bit more expensive but will definitely give you a premium feel to go with your projector.

A little more expensive? They're like 300$ right? If you guys say the ry4s is good enough then great, appreciate the help

Jun 18, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #48,309 of 75,375
Received the NiceHCK Traceless today (in transparent red/blue). I really like their fit and sound. Especially when worn sideways, which gives a huge low end boost.

I know they’re just fancy Vidos, but since I don’t have Vidos I can’t compare them to the even cheaper Vidos. But the Traceless sounds great to me, and they were like $5 which is dirt cheap in my book.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #48,310 of 75,375
Yeah, SWD2+ is slightly on the bright side but it doesn't bother me, and I am sensitive to that. TM9 is anything but bright. The highs sound a bit "woolly". It is smooth and laid back, but a bit too smooth and laid back for some. I think I remember there was some criticism when it came out because of the lacking highs so Blox re-tuned it and came out with a new version with another name. Was it Blox Yin? For me TM9 works best with more laid back music. With metal or similar music, it's just not punchy enough.
In a way SWD2+ and Blox TM9 are opposites with SWD2+ focusing on upper mids and highs, with good bass included, and TM9 more being about mids. Not as deep bass and more of a mid bass bump on TM9.

CampFred 2 is a great earbud that works with all types of music. It is quite musical and you just groove with the music, while it still has got good detail and bass. ZoomFred is more "raw" sounding. Bass is VERY deep for a pair of earbuds. ZoomFred has got a more "in your face" presentation of the music than the more musical sounding CampFred 2.

ZoomFred has got similarities to my pair of Red Dragon. Remember that the few Red Dragons that have been made have all been custom tuned, so there is no "Red Dragon sound signature", my pair is tuned toward Sennheiser HD800S. I think a pair made for a guy in South Korea was tuned toward Focal Utopia, if I remember correctly. Haven't heard Focal Utopia, though. Only heard Sennheiser HD800S shortly in a store in Japan a few years ago. In the future I might bring my Red Dragon to Japan and compare it directly.
Hope this damn corona goes away soon...
Perhaps you can call ZoomFred a "mini Red Dragon", but it's much rawer sounding with a bigger bass slam. Bass is more controlled and textured on Red Dragon. The soundstage is wider and deeper with better detail, instrument layering and separation. But ZoomFred is really good, and I heard that ZoomFred Pro is better, and also uses less stiff cable than the regular ZoomFred.
Really appreciate the impressions, thanks! I'll probably give the TM9s a pass, sounds very similar to the QJ21. Man, from all the descriptions of the red dragon I would really love to hear one one day, seems to be a tier above all other flagships.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #48,311 of 75,375
Man, talk about bad luck on my orders here in China...

I received the NICEHCK B40, but the left side was busted! It sounded like a rattle snake with a busted rattle! Then, I received the EDIFIER H186P and that sounded like someone traded-off the diaphragms for transistor radio speakers! I'm sure they were fakes! Then after, I received the wrong EDIFIER H190P, which was suppose to be the Gold/Black, but was sent the wrong color, Silver/Black. But, after talking to the seller, he admitted on sending me the Silver/Black on purpose, since they didn't carry the Gold/Black H190P for quite a while. What? The selection clearly showed a picture of the Gold/Black model when selecting the color. You see, in China the Gold/Black cost more than the Silver/Black and Silver/White. Highway robbery, I guess? In the end, the TONEKING TING finally arrived and was well received ...worth every penny! Slightly brighter in the upper MID's than the YINCROW RW-9, plus the soundstage was excellent! Though, the RW-9 will be really hard to beat with its overall extended bass, crystal clear MID's, treble accuracy, and holographic and airy soundstage.

I'm waiting on a few more earbuds to arrive, and hopefully lay my wallet down to rest, soon after.
...But, I'm not making any promises.🤞

-Clear

Jun 19, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #48,312 of 75,375

My projector is a bit old (Mitsubishi's old flagship HC7000 from 2008), but still quite good for 1080p material. It's also super quiet, only around 17dB in low lamp mode, almost completely silent. I can only project an image at around 80" currently, but it works. (sorry about the projector stuff, folks. It's another hobby of mine)

Monk+ works great for me. I mainly use those when I watch TV-shows on DVD on TV, and not so often for movies on the projector.

But Monk+ is pretty flat sounding with is good for dialogue. So it would work great for comedies and drama. It might work for action and sci fi as well. But with the low prices you could try a few budget earbuds.
Vido is another good Chinese budget earbud with pretty good (but a bit muddy) bass. It's usually around 3-4 dollars so it might also be worth trying.

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #48,313 of 75,375
Hi. Someone suggested I ask here about advice on earbuds.

I'm trying to find a really high quality VE Monk style of earbud: the type that just hang in the ear without sealing off the outside world.(So without rubber inserts)

I'm currently using a set of Atomic Floyd Airjax Titanium, without the hooks. They're fantastic, but they've stopped making them.

I'm happy to spend 50 to 100 dollars for some well built earbuds with good drivers.

Thanks

Jun 19, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #48,314 of 75,375
I'm trying to find a really high quality VE Monk style of earbud: the type that just hang in the ear without sealing off the outside world.(So without rubber inserts)
This thread (over 48,000 posts) is entirely devoted to that style of earbud (hang in the ear without sealing off the outside world). There are hundreds of choices covering all price ranges. You need to narrow it down by telling us what type of music you listen to and what is important to you in the sound (e.g. strong bass, emphasize vocals, etc).

Jun 19, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #48,315 of 75,375
This thread (over 48,000 posts) is entirely devoted to that style of earbud (hang in the ear without sealing off the outside world). There are hundreds of choices covering all price ranges. You need to narrow it down by telling us what type of music you listen to and what is important to you in the sound (e.g. strong bass, emphasize vocals, etc).

The type of music would be guitar bands like Wilco, Grateful Dead etc. As for budget, I'm happy to pay decent money for longevity and quality. Most of my stereo equipment is 20 years old and still going strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back